From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:21:45 GMT

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 17:50:55 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:12:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 15:47:02 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 19:42:52 GMT, John Bode <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>>wrote:
>>[deletia]

>>>I see the future as thin clients using technology like Microsoft
>>>Terminal Server.  With a fast network (100BT, but soon gigabit
>>>ethernet will be affordable) it becomes more and more difficult, for
>>
>>      You mean like Unix has been doing with X since the 80's?
>
>Yes, something like that.  Except everyday people can set it up, use
>it, and work with it.

        X has been that way for quite a while. The relevant parts of
        the interface are all the same and rather derived from the
        Apple original.

>What other security is there besides XHost +hostname for limiting who
>can redirect your X server or plug into your X server?

        From a Windows centric viewpoint, there is no difference
        between the machine and the end user. Although some X
        implementations also validate by username as well.

--
        If you know what you want done, it is quite often more useful to
        tell the machine what you want it to do rather than merely having

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux....The Cold Hard Truth....
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 19:40:08 -0400

My firm sponsors retail space for computer shows around NYC and the surrounding
areas including CT and NJ. We were commissioned by a local computer club to
attach a survey form to the tickets that the attendees received. These shows
attract a variety of different socio-economic types but in general I would say
there are more computer geek types present. After all we did originate as a
Ham-Fest type swap meet show.

Our latest flyer (which gives $2.00 off the price of admission for a filled out
questionnaire) was about Linux, a pet project of mine.

It turned out to be a real eye opener to me after compiling the data, which the
pollster contracted us to perform.

Question #1. Do you intend to try Linux in the next year?  78 percent said yes.

Question #2. Have you tried Linux in the past year?   97 percent said yes.

Question #3 If you HAVE tried Linux in the past year, have you continued to use
it?  99 percent said no.

Question #4 If you said no to question 3 what is the reason? (This was a write
in)

72 percent said "Linux Sucks"
12 percent said "there are no useful applications"
9 percent said I like Windows.
4 percent said I just don't like it.
1 percent said I like it and will continue using it.

This is the result of 26 shows and 100's of thousands of forms..

I think the results speak for themselves....

Sponge

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:23:20 GMT

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:04:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Try installing Mandrake and selecting anything other than Paranoid
>(selecting this option causes virtually non of the installed programs
>to function) and see what happens.
>
>Check how many open ports you have.
>
>Even Windows is not that bad....

        ...or that functional for that matter.

[deletia]

        Please note the open acknowledgement by the shill that even a
        WinDOS user like him can "lock it down".

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How many times, installation != usability.
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:25:29 GMT

Check their webpage.

Suffice to say you are getting 1/4 of the cards true power running
Linux.....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: Linux is awesome!
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:26:51 GMT

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:02:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:48:57 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:44:21 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>>Not at all, it's the attachments and embedded scripts, graphics and
>>>other nice things that Linux office suites fail to translate properly.
>>
>>      ...or anything else not msoffice on Windows itself.
>>
>>      Stuck with only ONE SINGLE word processor on Windows, how nice...
>
>Yea and 90 percent of the world is using it..

        So? That doesn't mean that THIS END USER want to use it.

>BTW Lotus Smartsuite does a real nice job of converting Word/Excel
>documents.

        Actually it blows bloody chunks. The failure of Lotus 123
        to deal with simple Excel files, ones that Applixware could
        'almost' deal with, is what originally prompted me to install
        StarOffice.

>Much better than anything Linsux has to offer.

        You simply need to get out more.

>Maybe they can make it run under Wino?
>

>>>Example, in my company we use a lot of Web based education, usually
>>>via Lotus Notes but also under Netscape. Forgetting about Notes, Linux
>>>fall flat on it's face when trying to run these simulations using
>>>Netscape.
>>>
>>>My company has gone so far as to ban all non Windows applications and
>>
>>      ...it sounds more like you're groping for the expression
>>
>>      "banned all non-microsoft applications".
>
>Essentially the memo said "non Windows OPERATING SYSTEMS"
>
>>>generated memo's and we were a long time OS/2 supporter up until last
>>>year.
>>>

>>>You Linonuts just don't get it. The rest of the world is marching to a
>>>completely different band and running Linux puts the entire concerto
>>>out of sync.
>>
>>      No, you're more describing a rally at Neuremburg.
>

>Nope, I am describing the reality of the situation and exactly why
>people are NOT interested in running Linsux.

        ...because if you dare to exercise some non-trivial choice you
        run the risk of getting a star or triangle pinned to your chest
        and sent off in a boxcar...

Capitalism is MEANINGLESS once it has been reduced to that point.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: So where ARE all of these supposed Linux users?
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:28:28 GMT

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:46:23 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>They don't have to...
>
>Win2k, even WITHOUT advocating STILL has a far higher market share
>than Linsux....

        ...an interesting assertion considering that Microsoft
        itself is discouraging it's use as a general purpose
        desktop OS.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:28:59 GMT

Of course I can "Lock Linsux down" but how many newbies can. How many
even realize that they are wide open to attack?

At least under Windows they can go to the Gibson page and learn about
ZoneAlarm...
Easy to use and no text file editing needed.

Linux is a lame hack......

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:32:41 GMT

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:26:51 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:02:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:48:57 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>>wrote:

>>>     ...or anything else not msoffice on Windows itself.
>>>
>>>     Stuck with only ONE SINGLE word processor on Windows, how nice...
>>
>>Yea and 90 percent of the world is using it..
>
>       So? That doesn't mean that THIS END USER want to use it.

What YOU want to do is of little importance to 99 percent of the rest
of the planet earth.

>>BTW Lotus Smartsuite does a real nice job of converting Word/Excel
>>documents.
>
>       Actually it blows bloody chunks. The failure of Lotus 123
>       to deal with simple Excel files, ones that Applixware could
>       'almost' deal with, is what originally prompted me to install
>       StarOffice.

Applix? you mean the "build it yourself Office suite" that has buried
the Word count icon 10 levels deep in some convoluted menue.

Check Petreley's latest InfoWorld column.

Applix is a joke. StarOffice is king of Bloat and Wordperfect has to
rely on Windows libraries under WINeo to work...

Wonder why Linsux is .3 percent of the marketplace?

I don't....

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: Thinking of reading anything by simon777 ? Read this first before
you do .......
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:32:39 GMT

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:59:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:41:36 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:47:35 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>>

>>>Good in theory and warm fuzzies but exactly the reason why Linux is
>>>not generating any real interest.
>>>

>>>1. People don't know how to take charge of their computers.
>>>   Sure IT people do, but the average blue collar worker doesn't. He
>>>slugs a brewski, slaps a CD of the latest game in and he is fat, drunk
>>>and happy.
>>
>>      ...if only this were true. This describes a Playstation,
>>      not a PC. This is why consoles generate more revenue than
>>      PC games despite there being lots more PC's.
>
>You're grasping at LinoStraws again....
>
>So how does one surf the net, do email with a Playstation?

        ...one doesn't. Although you weren't talking about just
        those elements of a PC for which you could treat it as
        a console.

        Alter the box itself, which is what you do when you install
        a PC game and what you don't do when you merely run a DC game,
        and all sorts of hell can break lose.

        That's likely got something to do with console games being
        more lucrative at this point.

>>>He is not interested in playing Tetris or some 10 year old slot
>>>machine game.
>>>
>>>2. Windows satisfies their needs. Linux does absolutely nothing better
>>>as far as they are concerned and in fact does many things worse.
>>>Hardware support and crappy looking fonts are just the tip of the
>>>iceberg.
>>>
>>>3. There is no valid reason, other than cost (and at .3 percent of
>>>market share that doesn't seem to be a big one) for JoeSixpack Windows
>>>user to go to Linux.
>>>Not one valid reason at all.
>>
>>      That cost motivation served Microsoft well enough. It can
>>      actually do the same for Linux. Plus, it's the OEMs that
>>      you have to worry about, not the end users who have no
>>      perception of what DOS costs anyways...
>

>But it hasn't and that is exactly the point. You guys are far too
>concerned with the next compiler coming out to be concerned with the
>fact that Linux looks like shit on modern day hardware.

        That is highly disputable, not to mention entirely subjectivc.

>Just one look and the average Windows user will run,high speed, away
>from Linux.
>
>I have seen it happen time and time again.
>
>A picture is worth a thousand words.
>

>>[deletia]
>>[deletia]
>>
>>      ...as far as 'doing nothing better'. Linux does infact "do better".
>
>So why can't you even give it away?

        This is simply a lie, one which you insist on repeating but still
        doesn't become any more true. The fact remains that people will
        quite readily buy Linux.

>.3 percent of market share says it all.

        ...a number straight out of your ass, the same place you get your
        AltOS information.

[deletia]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:35:54 GMT

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:28:28 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:46:23 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>They don't have to...
>>
>>Win2k, even WITHOUT advocating STILL has a far higher market share
>>than Linsux....
>
>       ...an interesting assertion considering that Microsoft
>       itself is discouraging it's use as a general purpose
>       desktop OS.

Whatever. The fact remains that it still has far more marekt share
than Linsux...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ohlsson)
Subject: Re: Dealing with filesystem volumes
Date: 17 Jun 2000 01:38:46 +0100

Dave Vandervies wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_Tr=E4ger?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Dave Vandervies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> It's still easier to type
>>> than
>>> :Lo<tab>:Bin<tab>
>>> because it doesn't require shifted characters or path separators.
>>
>>It does on a german keyboard ;-)
>
>Very well then; anybody using a German keyboard (and any other one
>where '/' is a shifted character) can ignore one more of my arguments
>in favor of the Unix way of doing things.  :)

Count Sweden in too :-) "/" is usually on shift-7 here.
(and unshifted on the numeric kb a mile away from the main kb so it doesn't
save any time to use it)

>(Either that or hack up
>a shell that recognizes some unshifted character as a path separator,
>but that could get ugly.)

It doesn't have to be that bad, a slight tweak of the keymap would suffice.

/Stefan
--
[ Stefan Ohlsson ] · http://www.mds.mdh.se/~dal95son/ · [ ICQ# 17519554 ]

Bishop: I'm afraid I have some bad news.
Hudson: Well that's a switch.
/Aliens

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
you do .......
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:40:03 GMT

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:32:39 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:59:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:41:36 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>>wrote:

>>>     ...if only this were true. This describes a Playstation,
>>>     not a PC. This is why consoles generate more revenue than
>>>     PC games despite there being lots more PC's.
>>
>>You're grasping at LinoStraws again....
>>
>>So how does one surf the net, do email with a Playstation?
>
>       ...one doesn't. Although you weren't talking about just
>       those elements of a PC for which you could treat it as
>       a console.

I am treating the PC as a family device that all can use and all can
run state of the art software be it applications or games...

Linsux need not apply, unless the family like Tetris.

>       Alter the box itself, which is what you do when you install
>       a PC game and what you don't do when you merely run a DC game,
>       and all sorts of hell can break lose.

With Win95A maybe. Current versions nope, try again.

>       That's likely got something to do with console games being
>       more lucrative at this point.

ANYTHING is more lucrative than Linsux and that is exactly why it is
being ignored and people at Linsux companies are being laid off by the
hundreds.

>>>     That cost motivation served Microsoft well enough. It can
>>>     actually do the same for Linux. Plus, it's the OEMs that
>>>     you have to worry about, not the end users who have no
>>>     perception of what DOS costs anyways...
>>

>>But it hasn't and that is exactly the point. You guys are far too
>>concerned with the next compiler coming out to be concerned with the
>>fact that Linux looks like shit on modern day hardware.
>
>       That is highly disputable, not to mention entirely subjectivc.

Yawwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnn

Check the set up groups and even the now famous "How to De-Uglify
Linux Fonts" HowTo.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 19:40:03 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake Update: DOH!

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (aflinsch) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >Failed connects happen all the time in every OS, depends a lot on the
> >lines between you and your ISP. This is not a problem with Linux.
>
> True, except Linux sometimes fails to even talk to the Modem.

I've never had any trouble with my modem.   Even my winmodem works now.

Gary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (WhyteWolf)
Subject: Re: Linux app spec...
Date: 16 Jun 2000 23:22:48 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Cihl wrote:

[snip]

>> Lets say they wanted a mail client. Pine offers none of the above as
>> far as I know yet something like MS Outlook does. Obviously MS Outlook
>> does not yet exist for Linux but you see my point.
>
>Pine is covered in dust and cobwebs, only to be used over long
>distance telnet-sessions. Try the new KMail. Simple, fast and
>flexible. Just the way -i- like it.

hey .. I like pine ... and use it on my home system
granted when in X i use arrow or spruce
and I never use KDE ... its' not even installed on my system
I use pure Window Maker with QT libs and GTK libs
i have gnome installed ... mostly out of idle
cureosity{sp?} about how that progect was coming along

once I get more HD space i might install KDE2 when it comes
out .. but I"m currently waiting for the 2.4 kernel to upgrade
my computer

[snip

--
-=-=-=-=-
The difference between a misfortune and a calamity?  If Gladstone fell into

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 19:43:24 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: