From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Chaney)
Subject: Why homosexuals are a threat to Fred Cherry
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:28:20 GMT

On 11 Jun 2001 07:01:42 PDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brock Hannibal) wrote:

>"Goddess" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
><9g1geb$9ik$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>

>>"Brock Hannibal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:3b2435b3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>>> So, you don't have a son, then.
>>
>>I have a son, two of them in fact.

>>> Woulda, shoulda, coulda! You don't have a son. You don't know
>>> what it feels like to love a son. You don't know how you would
>>> react.
>>
>>I have two sons.  I do know how it feels to love a son and it has
>>nothing to do with his sexual orientation.
>>
>>> That's the bottom line. Basically you're full of hot air,
>>> signifying nothing.
>>
>>No, you are.  Thanks for your comments.
>>
>>Marg
>
>Listen, if you can make a case as to why a homosexual lifestyle will
>be somehow better for your boys

I doubt that's what she said, but

>then I'm willing to listen, but it's
>obvious that being gay has many problems associated with it.

Problems all coming from extrinsic sources, not internally.
Kinda like being black in Oregon or in the Old South. Which, by your
reasoning........oh nevermind.

>Whether
>that's good or should be, is a different debate. The pragmatic view
>of it is that it's a problem, socially,

What with all the skinheads and KKK fucks
who, by the way, congregate mainly in Oregon

>career-wise,

What with ignorant morons firing gay people after finding out about their
lifestyle

>and health-wise.

Health wise? You mean the myth that homosexual activity is the primary
cause of the spread of AIDS? The myth that was destroyed when they studied
what caused AIDS to spread in Africa?

>If you're too dumb to realize that then maybe you should do a little
>research before you say being gay is good and wonderful

It is no less good and wonderful than being heterosexual. Despite skinheads
and other megabigots who happen to congregate heavily in your state, who
try to make it otherwise.

>and that you
>would be filled with happy, happy, joy, joy to have your sons'
>declare an affinity for the gay lifestyle. Now move along, before you
>get laughed off of usenet.

Nobody's laughing at Goddess
but I'm sure your people are working on it.

-- Steve

===============================
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (remove the "-" to email me)
This site is just TOO COOL for a counter! http://www.self-acceptance.org
STOP SMOKING NOW!!! ASK ME HOW!!! http://www.geocities.com/brenduh52/
"Let 'em eat eep" - Lady Veteran

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:40:47 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:15:49 +0100
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:39:00 +0800, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> ("Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
>>"Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>>> Why? It's just where you born. It's not like you achieved anything. Your
>>> parents fucked, and out you popped. It could have been anywhere. So just
>>> keep that image in mind, next time you feel patriotic, just visualise your
>>> father hunched over your mother. Which is all it comes down to, really.
>>
>>Well, I'm proud to be American.
>
>What is their to be proud of.

Let me count the ways.  Some of these are of course ancient, but...

[1] Tamed the West -- an internal matter, to be sure, but quite
    an accomplishment given the primitive technology at the time.
[2] Helped defeat the Nazis *and* the Japanese, more or less simultaneously.
[3] One of the highest GDP/capita in the world.
[4] First man on the moon.

These are the ones that come immediately to mind.  There were of course
some lowlights as well:

[A] Segregation/slavery of blacks.  This continued until well into
    the 70's, even though slavery was officially abolished more than
    a century earlier.  It's not clear that it's ended even now.
[B] Isolated incidents such as MOVE, Waco, and the Texas Fremen.
    These indicate (perceived?) injustice, although it's not clear
    how much or by whom.
[C] Native American massacre during the formative years (this is
    the flip side of [1], above).  We may never know the true extent
    of the horror.
[D] The biggest user (dare I say waster?) of energy in the world.
    6% of the population consumes half of the energy.  We're getting
    better, and our technology may well pull our collective rears
    out of the fire, but it's not something to be proud of.
    We also backed out of the Kyoto accord.  While there may have been
    good reasons to do so (it's not clear to me personally), it's
    not going to help our reputation any.

Again, there may be some obvious ones I'm missing.

>>Strongest nation on earth.  Others will surely balk at me, but who cares.
>>
>>We have the strongest economy, the strongest military,
>
>Meaningless.

In a way, all we do is meaningless, for meaning is imparted from outside,
not from within.  What is the meaning of ASCII, for example?  It's
a bunch of electromagnetic pulses, paper punchies on tape, or
magnetic domains on a stacked array of platters spinning at high speed.
It has no intrinsic meaning.  Not even the three strokes of the capital
letter "A" have meaning, unless taught in elementary school.
(Side note: the Japanese pay more attention to strokes than the
residents of the US; the Chinese may pay even more attention.  It's
because of the kanji. :-) )

>>the best movies
>
>I think not.

I'm inclined to agree here; US movies are blockbuster hits from an
economics standpoint, but hardly the best form of the art.
<redneck>But we can sure blow up things real good.... :-)</redneck>

>>(hehe), we invented the light bulb, transistor, microprocessor, we started
>>the Internet, and a whole bunch more.
>
>Meaning what? Nothing.

True; the Roman Catholic Church, for instance, may have far more meaning
than a mere switching device.  (It may depend on various issues, and
see also my diatribe on meaning, above.  One might use the crude
measurement that the item with most meaning is the one that affects
the most human lives -- to the point of death in some cases -- and
while the transistor has definitely helped a lot of lives, it's not
clear that it has affected more lives than the Roman Catholics.
[Note that I only pick RCC as an example, since I happen to know a
little more about it than such things as Islam or Buddhism.])

>>You can say what you want, but America rockz.  That isn't to say that other
>>nations don't rock also, but for different reasons.
>
>Yeah, other countries have personal freedom.

Some other countries might.  It is not clear, for instance, whether
Cuba has such.

>>There is good in every nation... hey... my best friend is Australian, and my
>>favorite beer is from Singapore.
>>
>>So just relax on this patriotic shit because there is good stuff everywhere
>>and bad stuff everywhere.
>>
>>W2k rockz and linux suxors.  Need I say more?  :)
>
>Yeah, American Windows and foreign Linux. Now what does that tell you?

Linux is an interesting amalgamation; while it was started in Finland,
it has moved over here (and its creator as well, strangely enough),
with, if not a vengeance, at least with enthusiasm.  While it is
currently enjoying only a tiny fraction of the market (5% or so at the
very most, if I'm not mistaken), it is growing fast.

And of course Linux -- or, more precisely, the distributions surrounding
it -- are aided greatly by a number of people doing "freeware work",
many who are based here in the US.  (And many who are not.)

                    The Internet routes around censorship.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
Date: 11 Jun 2001 10:43:02 -0500

AIX

news:CP8U6.1221$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Jun 2001 10:44:01 -0500

"Dennis G. Allard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<84aU6.9834$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > I'm talking about what they [the NYSE] use for managing trades.
> >
> > Well, their web site runs under AIX, so one would assume that they're
> > probably a big IBM shop, and are probably running trades under AIX
and/or
> > OS/390.
>
> If they were running anything Microsoft, they would have crashes so much
> more often it would make this little down time look like a holiday!

You might want to consider that the NASDAQ runs MS for 90% of their
operation and has had 0. That's zero MS related downtime since their
adopting NT. They continue to convert their backend operations to W2K but
are not completed. This is not an operation you take lightly or race ahead
quickly but they are doing it. Converting from archiac Unix mainframes to
W2K servers.

------------------------------

From: "JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:44:23 -0400

"Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9ft684$6ua$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 02:38:57 GMT, Les Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >

> > When it happened to our NT server at the office just a couple of months
> > ago, I explained the concept to our NT admin.  She finally ended up
> > just shutting down the ftp server altogether, saying that she couldn't
> > find a way to make it work securely.
> >
> > I'm thinking that there has got to be a way to do this with NT, what
> > with ACL's and all.  Any pointers from the Winvocates?
> >
> Shouldn't be too hard.  I've never tried just making the ftp directory
write
> only, I don't suppose it would be a problem.  You could always just put an
> ACL on the directory that denied list to that directory.  You'd still get
> access to files, but only if you already knew what they were called.  Or
you
> could deny list and read, and that should hopefully get the effects you
> desire.  If I get a chance at work on Monday I'll try it and see, it's an
> interesting little test. ;)

It's pretty easy, just check the box that says "write" and uncheck "read".

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Jun 2001 10:46:03 -0500

"Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7FSU6.761$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <%4uU6.12535$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >You mean like Nasdaq? They're running Microsoft and I haven't heard a
peep
> >from them about any crashes.
> >
> >Well, I guess there goes your theory. Perhaps NYSE should look at NASDAQ
> >and see what they're doing.
>
> Contrary to MS marketing hype, the role of Win2K is non-critical front-end
> stuff like the web site.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nasdaq+win2k+rockville&btnG=Search&meta=si
te%3Dgroups

Given that your source is a single post from "alt.destroy.microsoft" - you
don't think that it's FULL OF SHIT?

It is. NASDAQ continues what they started in July of 2000 - converting to
W2K on the floor, web AND the back server room. You can try to deny it but
it's true.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Jun 2001 10:48:03 -0500

"Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> >
> > I'm not too sure about the NYSE, but I think the NASDAQ, unfortunately,
runs
> > on Windows.
> >
> > Matthew Gardiner
> >
> NASDAQ's web server is Windows. The computer that actually does the
> trading is a big Unisys mainframe. Microcomputer architecture just isn't
> capable. It's not a Windows verses Linux issue.

True - linux wasn't capable either  which is why the NASDAQ continues what
they started in July 2000 - converting to W2K on the web, the floor and the
back room. Unisys is supplying the W2K boxes running Datacenter.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Jun 2001 10:48:04 -0500

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:fbuU6.12567$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not too sure about the NYSE, but I think the NASDAQ,
unfortunately, runs
> > > on Windows.
> > >
> > > Matthew Gardiner
> > >
> > NASDAQ's web server is Windows. The computer that actually does the
> > trading is a big Unisys mainframe. Microcomputer architecture just isn't
> > capable. It's not a Windows verses Linux issue.
>
> About a year ago it was still Unisys. Last year they announced they were
> moving to Win2K Datacenter. I'm not sure if they actually did it, or if
> it's complete yet or not, but I would imagine we would've heard about it
> if it went south.

It's still in the works. There isn't an announcment because it's not done
yet.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Jun 2001 10:49:03 -0500

"spam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 18:47:39 GMT, "Chad Myers"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >"Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> NASDAQ's web server is Windows. The computer that actually does the
> >> trading is a big Unisys mainframe. Microcomputer architecture just
isn't
> >> capable. It's not a Windows verses Linux issue.
> >
> >About a year ago it was still Unisys. Last year they announced they were
> >moving to Win2K Datacenter. I'm not sure if they actually did it, or if
> >it's complete yet or not, but I would imagine we would've heard about it
> >if it went south.
> >

> Do you have a link to this announcement? I can't find it anywhere
> using google and altavista or at MS's or Nasdaq's web sites. I'm sure
> MS PR would trumpet this loudly if the exchange moved to datacenter.

Wait for it - it's not done. When it's done you can be certain there will be
trumpets blaring...

What's worth more: "NASDAQ is trying to convert to datacenter" - yea,
imagine that on /.
Versus: "NASDAQ switches to datacenter, saves money, improves performance."

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Jun 2001 10:51:02 -0500

"Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > > "Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > About a year ago it was still Unisys. Last year they announced they
were
> > > moving to Win2K Datacenter. I'm not sure if they actually did it, or
if
> > > it's complete yet or not, but I would imagine we would've heard about
it
> > > if it went south.
> > >

> > Only the front end is running WinDog, the back end is not according to a
> > Information Week article.
>
> It is Unisys
> http://www.nasdaq.com/reference/sn_indices_temp_disrupt_000218.stm
> With 300,000 terminals involved in trading, how could it be losedos?
> NASDAQ requires much more than what a toy operating system like losedos
> can provide.

Sorry - they ARE running W2K on the floor on those "terminals." Hell, just
look at pictures from the floor and you'll see. Ask a trader and he'll tell
you. That link you provide identifies a communications line going down, not
an OS related issue.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: 11 Jun 2001 10:55:03 -0500

"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9fvkht$a69$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9fvju8$k1u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Regarding Microsoft's networth, at one stage, it was at the same amount
at
> > General Electric, however, if you wanted the REAL networth, it would be
> > substantially less.  I would say, $200B, maybe a few more, but not much
> > more. General Electic, prior to the buyout of Honeywell, is valued at
> around
> > $500B-$600B.  Many tech stocks are way, way, way overvalued due to naive
> > idiots buying into buzz word orientated business's that have no real
long
> > term business plan or goals.
>
> Actually, the reason I want net worth is to find things out about other
> companies.
> I sometimes post stuff that would be much more interesting if I could add
> small tidbits like, "X could buy Y for pocket change".

Well - consider that Microsoft has more hard cash in the bank than any other
US company. It has $30 billion dollars in cold hard currency in the bank.
Don't know it's networth off the top of my head but I remember that factoid.
So, it could fling $30 billion in any direction it'd like in a heartbeat, no
bankers, no dealers, no negotiation - just *plonk* we own it - I love that
:)

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:02:18 GMT

David Brown wrote:

> Todd wrote in message <9fttp8$i7k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >(hehe), we invented the light bulb, transistor, microprocessor, we started
> >the Internet, and a whole bunch more.
> >

> Of course, the light bulb was originally Scottish, most of the practical
> work on the foundations of computing was done in Britain (with a number of
> prominent Dutch theorists as well), the web was Swiss, and a whole bunch
> more.

The WWW is Swiss. I didn't know that! The web is Swiss, but the internet
is obviously American.

http://www.uselessknowledge.com/explain/edison.shtml

Yeah, you're right about the light bulb too. Interesting.

> Where would you be without your TV and your Cola, your antibiotics and your
> steam engine?  All are Scottish inventions, but I could hardly claim that
> Scotland is a "better" country than the US because of it.  Nor could I claim
> it as a personal achievement, as you seem to.

Right, I agree. I don't hate the US, it's just that I find patriotism
distasteful, I'd rather be a citizen of the world.

--
- Brent

"General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
- Darth Vader

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:05:29 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> A language which is decended from a language that he co-authored.
> A large precentage of Windows is written in either C++ or objective C, I
> understand.

Actually, Window Maker is written in Objective C as well.  I'd say that
the UI components of 9X are written in whatever NT 4.0's is written in,
which would probably be Objective C, C++, COM, or a mixture of these.  I
know Erik Funkensbusch could answer this easily.

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Jun 2001 11:09:03 -0500

"Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> T. Max Devlin wrote:
> > Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:08:35
> >>Actually, the reason I want net worth is to find things out about other
> >>companies.
> >>I sometimes post stuff that would be much more interesting if I could
add
> >>small tidbits like, "X could buy Y for pocket change".
> >
> > Actually, Ayende, if you don't mind the advice, it would just make you
> > look foolish.
> >

> No, TMax, the one person looking foolish is you.
> Ayende is advocating Windows, and he has reasons to do it.
> You may find those reasons invalid, but he does it in a quite pleasant
> way, very different from Chad Myers and Jon Johanson.

Pleasant or not pleasant (from your point of view) doesn't invalidate things
Chad or I may say. I don't think I'm unpleasant but I realize that I am
saying things that people who hate MS and it's products won't like to hear.
And sometimes I put linux down too and that would be unpleasant to those
that love it. But, again, that doesn't invalidate the facts.

> He actually knows what he is talking about.

I take offense at that however, I do know what I'm talking about - you may
just not like what you hear...

> You, on the other hand, tell us all how vastly superior linux is compared
> to the stuff MS sells. Yet you do not use linux, you use windows.
> Seems to be a little contradiction, doesn´t it?

So why not fling your "unpleasant" comments at him then? At least we use the
products we advocate religiously.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 11 Jun 2001 11:09:04 -0500

"Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:wnSU6.759$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9fua39$1ek$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Just to clear the confution, here is an image of how the Smart Tags
works.

> >http://www10.ewebcity.com/ayende/SmartTags.png
> >
> >Notice the purple line underneat Critix (mid left one), that is how you
know
> >that there will be a response if you hover above it.
> >Notice the menu that pops up if you click on the little graphic.
> >In order to get to it, you need to hover above an underlined word, and
click
> >on the icon that appears, then the menu would appear.
> >
> >The links that it leads to resolve to (on the order they appear):
> >
> >http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/rcnews.asp?Symbol=CTXS
> >http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/research/profile.asp?Symbol=CTXS
> >http://www.citrix.com/
> >http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/chartdl.asp?Symbol=CTXS
> >http://moneycentral.msn.com/scripts/webquote.dll?ipage=qd&Symbol=CTXS
> >
> >http://search.msn.com/results.asp?RS=CHECKED&Dom=il&un=doc&v=1&q=CITRIX
> >

> Wonderful.  We get 5 MS-controlled info and opinion pages about the
> company, surrounding a link to the company itself in the middle.
>
> It will be interesting to see what links MS ends up putting on a
> page about Linux.  Perhaps links to Mundie's speech about GPL being
> viral or to Balmer's speech calling Linux "a cancer"?

Did you know that a simple meta command will disable the links?
Did you know that these links are off by default?