From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steven Smolinski)
Subject: Re: One problem with Linux
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 14:10:29 GMT

Jacques Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>A few  months ago I bought SAMS Teach Yourself Linux,
>which comes with Caldera Linux 2.2.

That was your first mistake.

>The other day I bought "Installing OpenLinux and StarOffice
>for Dummies", that comes with Caldera 2.3.

And that was your second.

It's quite hard to find a SAMS book worth a damn, and the
"for Dummies" series really are for dummies; and dummies
never get anything done properly.

When you think computer books, think O'Reilly.  There's
hardly a stinker in the bunch.

Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Subject: Re: So where ARE all of these supposed Linux users?
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 14:31:23 GMT

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 13:10:51 GMT, Peter Wayner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Well, this was obviously flame bait, but it's still worth noting
>that it's very hard to count Linux users. There's no central regime
>collecting taxes, er fees for a copy, so there's no one counting.
>I've got Linux on 4 machines in my office, but three of them are
>just old machines I decided to dedicate to experimentation. Do
>they count? I rarely use them.

As long as Rex Ballard spreads lies about the number of Linux users,
people will call him on it. Look, he claims that there are 90 million
satisfied Linux users. The US is a little less than half of the worldwide
computer market, so that means that there are 45 million computer users in
the US, which amount to about 1 in 6 Americans being a "satisified Linux
user". Which, as everybody knows, is just patently ludicrous. Maybe 1 in 6
Americans is a user of Linux because they use web pages served up by
Linux, or fileservers run on Linux, he he touts this as if 1 in 6
Americans uses Linux at home in a satisifed manner.

You will note that he is counting _users_, not _machines_. If you have
Linux installed on 4 machines, but you are the only user, that's only 1
user.

>And what about the embedded market? Tivo runs Linux. I'm sure there
>are others out there. I saw an X-windows cursor on a Netscape terminal
>on the NJ turnpike. The cursor was the only way I knew that they
>had Linux underneith. The machine only let you touch the browser.

By this logic, QNX is the most widely used operating system on earth. What
makes you so sure that Netscape machine is Linux? Did Linux kill all the
other OS'es which run X overnight? Have you ever heard of an operating
system known as "Unix"?

------------------------------

From: "Paul 'Z' EwandeŠ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 16:51:39 +0200

Joe Ragosta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message :
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > End users have no need "to futz around trying to learn the clunky OS",
> > there
> > are trained/experienced people for that.
>
> Oh, I see.
>
> So end users don't have to learn how to use Windows? They just have
> trained people do all their computer work for them?

Nope. They use the apps, period. Launching an app, doing what has to be
done, saving your work, and shutting down the computer seem as easy to do on
both the Macintosh or on Windows. What they need to be trained on is how to
work on a particular app, not the intricacies of the OS.

That's why they are here for, not to fool around with their 'puters.

Trained people perform the maintenance of the boxes [setting up,
installing/replacing hardware/software and such practices].

> No wonder TCO is so bac on Windows.   ;-)

Where I work, there are guys who are paid on _both_ Windows _and_ MacOS to
take care of things such as setting up and tending to the boxes.

I'm not convinced that it's an outrageously rare practice. Of course, your
mileage may, and probably will, vary. :)

Paul 'Z' Ewande

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 11:36:38 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote on Thu, 15 Jun 2000 21:18:47 -0400 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Craig Kelley wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> Of course, the corresponding Win32 program takes up 5 pages of
> >                               ^^^^^
> >Lose32
>
> Now now, let's not insult the protocol.  Even if it does do

Merely countering Microsoft's brainwashing campaign.

Deal with it.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

From: "Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is so stable...
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:21:53 +0200

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
8hdarg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>

> >I was rebooting when the error occured. I was switching to my other
system.
> >I like to do that on occaison. I was _not_ rebooting to fix a problem. In
I presume that´d be occassion, wouldn´t it?
You don´t even have to reboot to switch to another system.  You could use
VMware.
> >any case the problem occured as the system was going down. There? Do you
> >understand that now?

Would you please stop whining?

> >Pete
>
> Pete, do not take it personally. Most linux zellots can't
> understand that Linux can possibly have any defects. When someone
> complains about something, they simply tell the user to
> fix it themselves or go read a HOWTO.
>
> This is the Linux way.
Of course it is.  We actually have to think for OURSELVES, and don´t
let BBB do it.  We´d actually like to know, what´s broken with our sys,
and don´t take it as it is.  And when we know, what it is, we´d actually
*fix it* by ourselves, if skilled enough. In every other case, we mail
to the certain NGs.

THIS is the linux way, but that´s beyond the scope of a regular
butterbread-IQ-Windoze-luser, right, Steve?

> Steve

Marc

------------------------------

From: "Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:24:43 +0200

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im
Newsbeitrag: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >     Sometimes you have to consider the source...
>
> Keep wearing that blind spot. It suits you well.
>
> >     Past a certain point, civility is wasted effort.
>
> You were never civil in the first place. You quickly fell to calling "you
> shithead liar".
So he was military, then?
I guess it´s civilized, right?  DUH!!!!

------------------------------

From: "Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft W2K lack of goals.
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:22:09 +0200

Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
6fn15.285$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[Snip]

Dres, you´re bullshitting again.
If I´m not mistaken, you have to move the mouse, after you hit
c-a-d.  In Win9x you have to press c-a-[d.d] and there you go....

Matter of 1 seco........

------------------------------

From: "Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:31:06 +0200

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im
Newsbeitrag: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> No-Spam (Terry Porter) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >Its simple, "Goodwin" is just another Wintroll. He is currently going
> >thru the same steps most Wintrols do.
>
> Another with a blind spot. Does Linux rot the brain?

Nope, I guess it´s just your very behavior.  When I have a specific
problem, I don´t bitch about it in a .advocacy-NG but rather in an
NG that covers the topic.
I just as well might bitch about BSODing of WinNT in comna or about
win98 not shutting down completely, for example, in coma.
But I don´t do it.  I try to figure it out all by myself.  Instead I´m
having
fun reading comna and cola and answering to some desillusioned
former linux-wannabes and wintrolls who just didn´t get things right,
because they are simply not willed to think for themselves.
Both ways, I´m having a hell of a lot more fun!

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Processing data is bad!
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 11:43:42 -0400

"Colin R. Day" wrote:

> JEDIDIAH wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 19:52:03 -0400, Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > >Start - Search (or Find) - Files - *.txt ?
> >
> >         Nope, that will just tell you how many files you have
> >         that end it .txt.
>
> What, a text file whose name doesn't end in "*.txt"? You'll
> confuse him, Jedi.
>
> BTW would you count *.ini and *.bat files as test files?

text files?

are they HUMAN READABLE?

> > --
> >         If you know what you want done, it is quite often more useful to
> >         tell the machine what you want it to do rather than merely having
> >         the machine tell you what you are allowed to do.
> >                                                                        / | \
> >
> >                                       Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.
>
> Colin Day

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 11:46:23 -0400

> Fuzzy streaks says it all.
>
> Crappy jagged fonts is par for the Linux course.

A crappy font is a crappy FONT, idiot.

Says nothing about what's displaying it, nimrod.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 11:53:25 -0400

> The Linvocates have been spouting for sometime the "huge" number of
> people leaving Windows and downloading/buying (shudder!) Linux
> instead.
>
> So where are all of these folks?

You're one of them.

Ever use a web-browser?

These days, over 90% of web servers are either Linux (30%) or Unix
(60+%).

> Last count it was .3 percent of the market. WebTV did better. Win2k
> did better. Virtually everyone did better than this great "savior of
> operating systems".

Sales figures are unreliable.  One Linux CD can be used to LEGALLY
make hundreds of installations.

A lot of Fortune 500 companies are using Linux to make small file
servers out of what WOULD be obsolete Pentium machines.

> Why is this?
>
> The figures speak for themselves and again I ask "Where are all of
> these users?"
>
> I know many people who have TRIED Linux, I don't know of ONE who has
> STAYED with Linux. Not a single soul.

You need to get out more.

> Corel just laid off a couple of hundred workers.
> They can't even produce a native Linux Office Suite that doesn't
> depend on Win libraries via WINE.
>
> TurboLinux (backed by IBM $$$$) did the same.
>
> So what gives here?
>
> Seems to me the Linux FAD is going the way of the Pet Rock and
> Hoola-Hoop.

You don't get out much.  Throughout most of Europe, all the way to
Russia,
Linux is being used as a serious desktop office platform.

You know what's really funny?  In Russia, there are no copyright laws,
so people burn both Linux AND LoseDows CD-Roms and sell them in kiosks,
etc.  Linux actually commands a HIGHER price than does LoseDows.

Why is that?

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 11:54:48 -0400

> Very, very funny...
>
> I'm saving this one!!!

Not realizing that the jokes on him...

> simon
>
> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:05:11 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>

> >>So where are all of these folks?

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 15:55:16 GMT

That's nice Bernie I'm sure you had quite a rush setting it up.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 15:56:20 GMT

No, I admit I have not used utility #zxY.MnUi999 for Linsux...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux is awesome!
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 15:59:09 GMT

Oh yea,

I have LOT's of faith in that group...

Maybe you can help them find those 2 hard drives that they "lost".

Drives which BTW contain all the pertinent data to arm/disarm and
essentially build nuclear weapons......

Ooops, just heard on the radio the drives were located stashed behind
a copy machine....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 15:59:59 GMT

The computer using world..And you knew exactly what I meant.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 12:04:45 -0400

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 13:10:51 GMT, Peter Wayner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Well, this was obviously flame bait, but it's still worth noting
> >that it's very hard to count Linux users. There's no central regime
> >collecting taxes, er fees for a copy, so there's no one counting.
> >I've got Linux on 4 machines in my office, but three of them are
> >just old machines I decided to dedicate to experimentation. Do
> >they count? I rarely use them.
>
> As long as Rex Ballard spreads lies about the number of Linux users,

prove it.

> people will call him on it. Look, he claims that there are 90 million
> satisfied Linux users. The US is a little less than half of the worldwide
> computer market, so that means that there are 45 million computer users in
> the US, which amount to about 1 in 6 Americans being a "satisified Linux
> user". Which, as everybody knows, is just patently ludicrous. Maybe 1 in 6
> Americans is a user of Linux because they use web pages served up by
> Linux, or fileservers run on Linux, he he touts this as if 1 in 6
> Americans uses Linux at home in a satisifed manner.
>
> You will note that he is counting _users_, not _machines_. If you have
> Linux installed on 4 machines, but you are the only user, that's only 1
> user.
>
> >And what about the embedded market? Tivo runs Linux. I'm sure there
> >are others out there. I saw an X-windows cursor on a Netscape terminal
> >on the NJ turnpike. The cursor was the only way I knew that they
> >had Linux underneith. The machine only let you touch the browser.
>
> By this logic, QNX is the most widely used operating system on earth. What
> makes you so sure that Netscape machine is Linux? Did Linux kill all the
> other OS'es which run X overnight? Have you ever heard of an operating
> system known as "Unix"?

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 16:06:06 GMT

Get Mandrake 7.x from CheapBytes.com at $1.99 USD.

Sams Books are not what they used to be when they had repair manuals
and diagrams for televisions, radios and such.