Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:06:17 -0400
From: "David Cancio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Software

   The fact than till non free companies (such as Caldera, SuSE, etc ...)
got
to GNU/Linux market, it was not seen as a desktop user does mean one
thing : desktop market needs a lot of attention and let's say time, that
none
other than a commercial company can achieve (even now, GNU/Linux still
lacks some things as desktop option). On the other side, the Microsoft
server
market attack with its NT Server and Windows 2000 Server, brings to light
the fact that server machines normally are managed by people who does not
mind having to read, work, configure and lack desktop use on the server
(what
for ?) and that does not need the attencion and time desktop users need,
because
sysadms can manage to do it everything by themselves (as opposed to desktop
users - most of them - who just want to insert a DVD and play whatever game,
application, etc ...). So ... is it Windows (all flavors) a desktop OS and
Unix (all flavors) a server one ? In my opinion : yes. How have they behaved
when
entering a let's call it foreign market ? Well, Microsoft servers are
falling in each
of the already Unix known errors, in fact, they are reinventing Unix dressed
on
Windows clothes. On the other side, GNU/Linux has made an anormous (an keeps
on it) to reach desktop usability; it is having errors too, and still not
complete, but
I think, it has behaved better as a desktop OS than Windows has done as a
server
one. Anyway, final words : use Windows as desktop and Unix as server. Have
fun.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 18:52:36 -0400
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: iMacs With iTitude

        try www.idc.com

>>> Under UNIX, the mount point is part of the file path, remember. Consider
>>> a CD-ROM called "My Photos", with a file on it called "Fred the Cat". On
>>> a UNIX system, you might or might not be able to use the pathname
>>> "/cdrom/Fred the Cat". And what if you have both a CD-ROM and a
>>> CD-writer drive attached (as I do), and you put the CD in the latter?
>>
>>/mnt/cdrw and /mnt/cdrom.  At least that's how it would work on this
>>guy's system.  Oh, and it would likely be /mnt/cdrom/Fred\ The\ Cat.
>

>Yawn..under Windows you need not concern yourself with such tripe.

        Only because WinDOS is braindead and underfeatured.

>And what happens when this mounted CDROM is needed by one of the Linux
>WinAmp Clones (terrible and cheap as they are)?

        WinAmp is the cheap one. Why would a shill such as yourself be
        boosting one of the posterboys for the UI hall of shame and
        UI inconsitency?

        As far as needing a disk, one could always ask to it by name.

        This is something that WinDOS is incapable of doing. It also
        doesn't bother to lock the CD tray when in action so you can
        really give that 'gem' winamp fits. Of course WinDOS doesn't
        deal very gracefully with this error condition at the system
        level either.

                ...a classic case of the interns in Redmond not quite
                thinking ahead well enough.

                                                                       / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 19:07:32 -0400
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: An Example of the Superiority of Windows vs Linux

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:52:02 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:42:01 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:14:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>scan something
>cibvert it to

>>>But you still haven't answered the original question.
>>>
>>>So why doesn't Linux......?

>>>Every Windows program that I have installed has put an icon either on
>>>the desktop or in the Starup->program menu and that includes the
>>>README and other information.
>>
>>      That must get pretty cluttered after awhile.
>You can easily erase or move them unlike Linux....
>

>>>Please provide me with an example of a current Windows program that
>>>does not?
>>
>>      Crystal Reports.
>

>Never heard of it.
>
>Some sort of Physic program or something?
>>[deletia]

>>>Oh that's certainly something Joe Sixpack will remember..
>>
>>      Then someone can encapsulate it in a button, menu or
>>      an entire pointless little shiny little applet.
>

>No that's a demonstration of the ease of Windows and the archaicness
>of Linux.

        As arcana goes, it's actually not bad.

        "scanimage" ...oooh, whatever could that be.

        "/dev/scanner" ...now that's a non-descript name if there ever
                                was one.

>>>You prove my point all the time....
>>>
>>>I prefer clicking on the icon that says "Scan image"
>>
>>      That usually the way I do it as well. The expert interface
>>      does not negate the existence of the "morons-only" interface.
>

>If both are indeed provided.

If? That sounds suspiciously like an ignoramus caught in his ignorance.

>>>Try them and you will see. I have used both Linux deviants and Windows
>>
>>      In other words: you have no idea.
>

>No... I have used both SANE and Winfax and there is absolutely no
>comparison.
>Not even close.

        Then start making some real comparisons, instead of making it
        apparent to everyone that you've never used any of this stuff
        even under windows and that you're just talking out your ass.

[deletia]

                                                                       / | \

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 03:59:03 -0400
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake Update: DOH!
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (aflinsch) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Failed connects happen all the time in every OS, depends a lot on the
>lines between you and your ISP. This is not a problem with Linux.

True, except Linux sometimes fails to even talk to the Modem.

>> Clicked on Updated, invited to select local mirror. Selected UK
>> mirror, and waited... and waited... ah mirrors down. How do I get back
>> to select the mirror again... ah I can't. So, close window. Run update
>> again - it goes straight to the same mirror... um...
>
>Downed/busy server is a problem at the server youy tried to connect
>to. Not a problem at your end. As for rerunning update, it went to the
>server you told it to go to.

Yes but...

1) I wasn't given the choice to return to a different
2) Closing the window didn't actually close the application - it simply
hung still waiting

>I have used the Mandrake Update, it always worked for me.
>Most likely you clicked on some button multiple times. Opened a new
>instance each time.

No I restarted it anew, thinking I had just closed it.

>> Tried again, same result, goes to mirror that's down. Killed internet,
>> got a button that said 'select mirror', tried that, reconnected and
>> finally got a mirror that worked.
>
>And downloaded your update(s) and went on your merry way.

I aborted the downloads, there wasn't anything of interest (except maybe
the mouse wheel feature).

>As compared to Windows Update?

Yep. At least Windows update let me know what's going on, rather than the
empty screen I got with update.

--
============
Pete Goodwin

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 17:42:26 -0400
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Number of Linux Users

.3 percent.........

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 17:40:17 -0400
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: So where ARE all of these supposed Linux users?

Very, very funny...

I'm saving this one!!!

simon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 17:41:10 -0400
From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux app spec...

Simon????????????

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 17:38:18 -0400
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You are right I haven't. BUT I have tried both the Gnome and KDE file
managers, the ones a new user will use when he tries Linux and they
are both slow as molasses.

FastFind (indexed file finder) is real fast also, as is Norton
Commander.

I'm talking out of the box, brute force (no database).

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 17:47:35 -0400
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Thinking of reading anything by simon777 ? Read this first before
you do .......

Good in theory and warm fuzzies but exactly the reason why Linux is
not generating any real interest.

1. People don't know how to take charge of their computers.
   Sure IT people do, but the average blue collar worker doesn't. He
slugs a brewski, slaps a CD of the latest game in and he is fat, drunk
and happy.
He is not interested in playing Tetris or some 10 year old slot
machine game.

2. Windows satisfies their needs. Linux does absolutely nothing better
as far as they are concerned and in fact does many things worse.
Hardware support and crappy looking fonts are just the tip of the
iceberg.

3. There is no valid reason, other than cost (and at .3 percent of
market share that doesn't seem to be a big one) for JoeSixpack Windows
user to go to Linux.
Not one valid reason at all.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 17:48:26 -0400
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:40:33 GMT, Mingus wrote:
>experience with it makes me think there should be application
>standards.

Yes, but -- the emphasis should be on "standards". Dont force everyone
to do everything "the one true way".

>Lets say they wanted a mail client. Pine offers none of the above as
>far as I know yet something like MS Outlook does. Obviously MS Outlook
>does not yet exist for Linux but you see my point.

No, I don't. Besides the fact that MS Outlook is a great platform for
virus writers.

Pine has its advantages -- you can run it remotely.

OTOH, if you want consitency, use either KDE or GNOME, and use the KDE
( or GNOME ) apps when possible.

>Now, lets say someone else enjoys spending "quality" time with a pine
>man page.

One doesn't need to look at the "pine manpage". It's menu based, so the
"pine manpage" is about as essential as the "outlook manpage".

>Linux 1.0
>--------------
>-GUI installer

(a)     A GUI does *NOT* make installation easier. I'd take a well designed
        curses interface over a badly designed point and click any day.

>-Standard keyboard short cuts (ALT + X for menus, etc)

        Problem -- older toolkits tend to use motif style bindings. KDE and
        GNOME both do things Windows-style. Linux is in a transitional period
        in this sense -- and when users are running a mix of motif-style
        apps and GNOME/KDE apps, they notice inconsistencies.

>-Standard print/save/open dialogs.

There already are. Read the documentation for QPrinter. Or the GNOME
equivalent.

>-Add/remove program option

RPM, or "gnorpm" if you like that sort of thing.

>-Shell menu entries

Huh ?

>-Automatic update

Already implemented in some distributions.

>-Decent UI

KDE

>-Easy to read dialog boxes

Huh ? KDE already supports internationalisations. As long as you're
literate, you should be fine (-;

>-Non-cryptic error messages

Huh ?

>-At least 70% UI configurable.

Huh ?

>-Cut and paste that works

It already does work -- but it works differently. Select with the left
button, paste with the middle button.

>-Mouse Wheel support

Already there, I believe.

>-Drag and drop

Can you be more precise ? KDE already has d&d, as does GNOME.

>-Standard help system

See KDE. Or GNOME. Both have their own ( very similar ) help systems.
I don't see any reason to force anyone to use KDE even though I think that
GNME is a POS. Hell, I don't see any reason why those who are feeling
nostalgic shouldn't use twm, fvwm and/or XFCE. But I wouldn't use them.

>Microsoft has done a similar thing with the Windows logo program.
>They've added many requirements over the years. Isn't it about time
>Linux tried to clone it?

Clue time -- Linux is not and does not aim to be a clone of Windows. If
you really like Windows that much, then use it. Don't use Linux and then
complain about how it is not like Windows. That's a feature !

--
Donovan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 17:45:43 -0400
From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Processing data is bad!

I love it when this dumbass jumps up and down on one offhand comment
that is negative, completely ignoring all the positive things said
previously.  Goddamned idiot.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 19:23:58 -0400
From: TholenBotPro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Canada invites Microsoft north

In article <TLj15.34964$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> >> Did you bother to read my response, Chris?
>
> > Yes.
>
> Then how did you manage to miss my logical response?

Because I don't see things that aren't there.  Seeing things that aren't there again,
Dave?

> >> What alleged "context butchering", Chris?
>
> > See above.
>
> The above does not contain any "context butchering" on my part, Chris.

Open your eyes, Dave.

> >> Typical
>
> > What's "typical" about it, Dave?
>
> "See above."

Illogical.

> >> pontification on your part.
>
> > What alleged "pontification", Dave?
>
> CP] How typical.

What alleged "]", Dave?

--
"]"
          -- Dave Tholen

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 20:53:24 -0400
From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux faster than Windows?

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:02:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>

>>So how about showing us how Linux is taking over the 90 plus percent
>>desktop market that Windows already owns?
>
>       I would describe it more as a war of attrition.
>
>[deletia]
>
>       Linux isn't going anywhere and Microsoft has to keep funding itself.

>                                                                      / | \
>
>                                     Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

Exactly!

If there ever were an apocolypse, there would be Cockroaches, Linux and Cher.

Charlie

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 00:25:03 -0400
From: John Wiltshire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Claims of Windows supporting old applications are reflecting reality or
fantasy?

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:22:35 +0100, 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I also meant to say (but forgot) that the lifespan of other consumer
>products is longer thasn 8 years. TVs, fridges etc can have lifespand
>over 20 years. Technology may have improged, but they have become no
>worse. Software is not different

You don't expect to be able to drop a '00 Taurus engine into a '57
Mustang do you?  Why should you expect to be able to run a program
designed for the Windows 1.x engine on Windows 2000?

Does your fridge run on kerosene?  How about your TV remote - will it
work on your old 1960 black and white?

Remember the product itself still works - you can still run that old
Windows 1.x software on the Windows 1.x machine you still have.  Just
don't expect it to run on a different machine.  You never expect that
of your consumer appliances.  Why should software be different?

John Wiltshire

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 00:27:19 -0400
From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

2:1 wrote:

> Mingus wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:32:20 +0100, 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >As for me, I'll stick with my arcane 1970s, useless, uncool, not shiny
> > >commandline, and spend all day `shuffalling text fials'.
> >
> > That's terribly exciting... just how many text files do you have?
>
> lots.
>
> In fact tonight, I'll remember to do a
>
> find / grep -v '^/dev/.*' | xargs file | grep -c text

Ummmm, you forgot to count the output lines:

find / grep -v '^/dev/.*' | xargs file | grep -c text | wc

> and tell you exactly hoe many text files I have. Now can anyone tell me
> how to do that under Windows?

There's one...
oh, that's another.
um.. no..oops...uh
uh..there's two....

...284...

oh darn..I lost count...

...one....two...

> -Ed
>
> --
> The day of judgement cometh. Join us O sinful one...
> http://fuji.stcatz.ox.ac.uk/cult/index.html
>
> remove foo from the end and reverse my email address to make any use of
> it.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 00:20:15 -0400
From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
fantasy?

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message
<8ic211$htb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> >>There are things that I have seen mentioned in these three news groups
by
> >>the supporters of the Microsoft Windows environment that I can not
reconcile
> >>with what I have experienced in reality, I would like to discuss one of
> >>them.  Please note that I did not say the Windows operating system,
since
> >>there is no such beast.  Windows, in all of its incarnations is nothing
more
> >>than a graphical environment that runs on an actual operating system.
>
> This isn't quite correct.
>
> Unix is an actual operating system and X is a graphical shell
> that runs on top of it. However WinDOS is a different sort of
> beast. The "whole OS" does not exist in DOS. Most of the OS is
> embedded into the GUI shell making the boundary between system
> components murky and DOS itself crippled.
>
> They aren't quite comparable... Unix/X vs. DOS/Win.

If so much is imbedded in the GUI shell,  why can I change that shell?
LiteStep and the other available GUI replacements for Window 9x or NT 4.