Linux-Advocacy Digest #159, Volume #33           Wed, 28 Mar 01 14:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Re: Microsoft abandoning USB? (Cray Drygu)
  Re: Now I know (Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?=)
  Re: Linux dying (WesTralia)
  Re: communism (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Linux dying (WesTralia)
  Re: Arrrrgh!  Hoist the Jolly Roger! (Edward Rosten)
  Distractions, Distractions -- tsk tsk ("Scot Mc Pherson")
  Re: Microsoft abandoning USB? ("Chad Myers")
  Hailstorm: Heed the Warnings (Chad Everett)
  Re: New worm infests Linux machines/Exposes root backdoor ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Microsoft uses Linux (Edward Rosten)
  Re: New worm infests Linux machines/Exposes root backdoor ("Chad Myers")
  Re: New worm infests Linux machines/Exposes root backdoor ("Chad Myers")
  Re: New worm infests Linux machines/Exposes root backdoor ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Microsoft uses Linux (Edward Rosten)
  Re: Linux dying ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Distro Bigotry... (Chad Everett)
  Re: Kulkis - what a joke. (Edward Rosten)
  Re: Linux dying ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Suse vs RH/Mandrake ? (or what's so great about 7.2) (John Hong)
  Re: Suse vs RH/Mandrake ? (or what's so great about 7.2) (John Hong)

Subject: Re: Microsoft abandoning USB?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cray Drygu)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:05:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (WesTralia) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>The next 5 years are going to be very interesting years watching how this
>plays out.  It is my hope that the Internet, true to form, grows around
>any obstacle put in its way.

"The internet views censorship as damage, and routes around it."

You're right, it's going to be a very interesting time.  What concerns me
more is why there's some kind of content control in 1394.  Isn't it just
supposed to be a way of transferring data?  What's next, ethernet with
content control extensions in the NICs?

--
cray [at]                   org
          silverlight [dot]

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Now I know
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:37:38 +0200

Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>
>> But now all is well, now that Chad / Conrad / Jan have gotten a new
>> comrade in arms.
>
> Or maybe just another sock?

I wouldn´t put it that mildly.

Peter

--
The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact
that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol.

------------------------------

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dying
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:59:50 -0600

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
> > Will .NET benefit users: no.
>
> Let's see, getting real time flight information, being able to notify
> my loved ones 30 minutes before I land so that they can come pick me up,
> being instant messaged when I'm outbid on an auction, getting real-time
> customer support chat with an American Express customer support
> representative...
> nah, that doesn't benefit the consumers at all!

Psssssssst... Mr Myers... all that technology is already in place and
available, today!

Sheesh... next you'll be jumping up and down with excitement over the
combustion engine.

--
-wt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: communism
Date: 28 Mar 2001 18:10:07 GMT

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 01:46:41 -0500, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Name one Communist regime which doesn't have a history of shooting
>political opponents, and you *might* have an argument.

Salvador Allende in Chile. Freedom of press, he was a communist, and IIRC,
the ones who encouraged rounding and killing people was the US, through
Kissinger, when he gave support to Pinochet's coup.

>Until that day comes, (if ever), you're merely whistling in the dark ASSHOLE!

Every pig has its day.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:16:39 -0600

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 00:54:12 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Of course, none of Microsoft's HailStorm and .NET strategies have anything
> >> at all to do with providing users with better products or computing power
> >> and use, it's all about getting more control to Microsoft.
> >
> >WATCH OUT! HERE COME THE BLACK HELIOCOPTERS!
> >
> >> Will .NET benefit users: no.
> >
> >Let's see, getting real time flight information, being able to notify
> >my loved ones 30 minutes before I land so that they can come pick me up,
> >being instant messaged when I'm outbid on an auction, getting real-time
> >customer support chat with an American Express customer support
> >representative...
> >nah, that doesn't benefit the consumers at all!
> >

> This is taken directly from microsoft.com and it's .NET hype pages:
>
> " Activities that are still hard now-like reconciling statements
> from a number of different banks, credit-card companies, and billing
> agents so that you can pay your bills and file your expense reports-will
> become much easier as user data can be linked across sites and applications.
> ...Their data will live securely on the Internet."
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Now really, does the idea of putting all your banking, credit-card,
> social-security, etc. info to live "securely on the Internet" (i.e.Microsoft
> hard drive somewhere), really sound like a good idea to you?  How about
> just giving that information to me.  I'll take good care of it.  Honest.

Microsoft is just an outright riot!  These people know nothing about
network security and they want people to put personal data on the Internet!
MS can't even secure their own corporate network -- not to mention
all the VB script kiddies bringing MS based networks world wide to
a grinding halt.

The sad thing about all this is if the corporate world takes to .NET like
ducks to water, we are all in for a very dark period in computing in the
foreseeable future.

--
-wt

------------------------------

From: Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Arrrrgh!  Hoist the Jolly Roger!
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:40:17 +0100

> >From what I've heard, down in Autralia, a group of people sued Toshiba.
> >They wanted a refund on the microsoft O/S as they didn't want that O/S.
> >They wanted Linux instead.
> >Toshiba refunded!
>
> That's an urban legend.  The real story is more interesting.  Do some
> research.

And that would be....?

-Ed

--
Did you know that the oldest known rock is the famous |u98ejr
Hackenthorpe rock, which is over three trillion years |@

------------------------------

From: "Scot Mc Pherson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Distractions, Distractions -- tsk tsk
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:47:36 GMT

    You bring up a very very interesting point. I am not sure how many
people might have come up with the same conclusions about MSs "inside"
stance on piracy. On the public front they seem to fight piracy with
everything they have. Perhaps this is a ruse of sorts, similar in effect to
the "moon landing hoax rumors and discussions". I mean if BB wants to keep
us on our toes and redirect our attentions from sumbliminal infiltration
with an attractive distraction (i.e. if we got them arguing about this, then
perhaps they won't notice these other things we are doing).
    Microsoft, although probably genuine in it struggle with piracy, doesn't
really mind if pirated software makes it to the desktop and promotes
ubiquity. The genuine factor in the piracy struggle is most likely that
they'd prefer if the software were paid for.

--
Scot Mc Pherson
N27° 19' 56"

"HIM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Dave Martel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
> > Looks like MS is betting the farm on content protection. Good. The
> > more they bet, the more they lose. :-)
>
> MS never bet the farm on anything. And probably never will. And as far as
> content protection goes they could care less.Why would they? They didn't
> even do a very good job making OfficeXP (final release version) locked
into
> hardware either like they said they would. MS likes pirating. They
secretly
> like software pirates especially. Actions speak WAY louder than words.
They

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:35:29 GMT

"Dave Martel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> MS cools to USB 2.0, warms to 1394
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/17919.html>

Typical Register disinformation.

1. Windows had 1394 support in Windows 98. It has it in Windows ME,
and in Windows 2000, so I don't know what the Register is smoking.

2. USB 2.0 isn't all that great in the first place. MS will end up
supporting it just like they do with every other piece of hardware,
but it's very smart for them to focus on FireWire for digital video
and audio editing and viewing, simply because FireWire is much
better. USB (even 2.0) is great for keyboards, mice, web cams,
small removable storage devices (like compact flash, etc), but it
sucks horribly for video or any continuously high-bandwidth application.

> 1394 chiefs back 5C's copy controls
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/17845.html>
>
> In a nutshell: MS wants to get into end-to-end content protection with
> their Secure PC strategy. USB 2.0 doesn't offer the necessary
> content-control features for peripherals but the latest 1394
> (Firewire) standards do - see the second URL above.
>
> So... it looks like all those consumers and hardware manufacturers who
> have been jumping into USB peripherals at Microsoft's urging will soon
> be unable to use that equipment to play/monitor content-protected
> media, even though they own the original media.

Nice FUD spin.

MS encourages USB support for things like web cams and keyboards,
but the industry is adopting FireWire for digital media. MS will
ultimately support media rights on USB because FireWire just
isn't as ubiquitous as USB because of it's exaggerated price.

> Which brings us to another semi-related story on the same site:
>
> Gates plans invisible, automatic updates for WinXP users
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/17944.html>
>
> Looks like Windows Update is also going to be less of an option under
> Windows XP. I found this comment towards the end of interest:
>
> "...He did say quite recently that he'd be using a signed driver
> system with a regularly updated revocation list to stop you copying
> digital music you didn't own, and by making himself custodian and
> approver of the hardware drivers, he might somehow also find himself
> relating this to the hardware mods he's planning in the future Secure
> PC."

Typical of Register to mix personal opinion with "news".

The fact is, Windows Update won't be automatic (you still have to go to
get updates) and that Service Packs will still be issued so that SA's
can deploy them corporate wide.

Another example of why not to read the Register. I typically don't read
overly biased "news" outlets, or outlets with an agenda. Register fits
both of these.

-c

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Hailstorm: Heed the Warnings
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:51:50 GMT

Don't believe me?...then read this:

http://www.it-director.com/article.asp?id=1680

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New worm infests Linux machines/Exposes root backdoor
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:37:58 GMT

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jan Johanson wrote:
> >
> > "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Said Jan Johanson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 25 Mar 2001 15:01:21
> > >    [...]
> > attached.
> > cause
> > advocate
> > seeing
> > >
> > > Notice that had *any* of those conditions not been true, you'd have been
> > > vulnerable, regardless of whether the remainder were or not.  Gotta love
> > > that Windows!
> >
> > Not at all true but you can't handle the truth...
>
> Gee, if thats not true how can you explains this??
>
> * Have You Heard...Compaq has been left red faced by a defacement
> double whammy as two of its sub domains were vandalized by two
> different hacking groups?
> Publication: vnunet.com
> Issue Date: 22 March 2001
> Title: Compaq Websites Suffer Double Hack
> http://www.vnunet.com/News/1119535

The headline should be "Lazy administrators get their site hacked"
How is this news again?

-c

------------------------------

From: Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft uses Linux
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:50:29 +0100

> I would expect Microsoft to be clueful enough not to outsource any
> crucial server operations to a company that uses outdated development
> kernels. Please!

The latest 2.1 kernels, for well supported stuff were really quiet
stable. If this is what the company was using, there is no need to
upgrade. There also isn't much need to upgrade to 2.4 if the hardware
ran fine on 2.1.

-Ed

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:39:13 GMT

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> >
> > Said GreyCloud in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:39:10
> >    [...]
> > >
> > >Just refering to win9x series... I claim here as I have earlier that I
> > >don't know anything about NT.  I leave that to others.  But, considering
> > >MS track record of reliability, their credibility is in grave doubts
> > >here.
> >
> > Yes, that's a very wise position to take, obviously.  NT is, indeed,
> > much more stable as an OS than DOS, and 2K does improve on that, as
> > well.  But I assure you the only reason anyone would consider NT or 2K
> > "reliable" is if they've never seriously used anything *but* WinDOS.
> > You know how horrid that is.  So its no surprise, hmm, that NT or 2K is
> > 'the bee's knees' for the Windroid, given the comparison.
> >
> > I said before that NT is more stable *as an OS*, because the point is,
> > as a *platform*, its every bit as unreliable as any other Windows.  And
> > this, of course, is where the bad design of Windows really shines.  NT,
> > of course (including W2K and XP) doesn't fall over every time an
> > application coughs up a lung, like WinDOS does.  But it does crash,
> > bomb, freeze, lock, wedge, glitch, or otherwise require a
> > re-initialization (to arbitrary extent) on a routine basis.
> >
> > --
> > T. Max Devlin
> >   *** The best way to convince another is
> >           to state your case moderately and
> >              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***
>
> Thats what I thought.  I had an older distro on my box but an app in X
> froze up, so I alt-F1 to get a virtual terminal, logged in as root, did
> a ps -ax and found the ID of that process and killed it.  Logged out of
> root, did an alt-F(?) (forgot) and back in to my original X gui and
> everything was back again.  Its one of the best features I've found and
> not in any other O/S that I know of.

Of course, 99% of the time when X freezes, it's usually a complete system
freeze and ALT+F1 doesn't do anything.

-c

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:41:09 GMT

"Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > Windows CodeName Whistler, Build 2296
> > Uptime: 24 days, 19 hours, 23 Minutes, 20 seconds.
> > Reason for last reboot: Needed to installed another PCI video adapter.
> > Tasks for next reboot: Need to take out the PCI Video adapter.
> > Next reboot due at: When I get XP final.
> > Computer uses: Email, Internet, Development (C/C++, Java, VB, .NET,
> > ASP), TS Server, firewall, internet connection sharing, Word/Power
> > Point, IIS & FTP server (light load, except when developing).
> >
> Fine for you if those figures where true.
> I don´t believe you.

Umm, then you should pull your head from the sand. I think you're
still living in the Win95 days when Windows was crap.

A lot has happened since then. Windows 2000 never crashes, and neither
does the WinXP beta.

> By the way: Someone who puts all that stuff on a *production* machine
> *and* puts a firewall too unto it shows clearly that he/she has no real
> knowledge about firewalls at all.

This is his home box, moron. And, most of us don't have enough money
to set up a full DMZ.

-c

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:42:22 GMT

"Scot Mc Pherson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:qXow6.270485$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Said Ayende Rahien in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 28 Mar 2001

> is,
> And
> NT,
> > >
> > >Windows CodeName Whistler, Build 2296
> > >Uptime: 24 days, 19 hours, 23 Minutes, 20 seconds.
> > >Reason for last reboot: Needed to installed another PCI video adapter.
> > >Tasks for next reboot: Need to take out the PCI Video adapter.
> > >Next reboot due at: When I get XP final.
> > >Computer uses: Email, Internet, Development (C/C++, Java, VB, .NET, ASP),
> TS
> > >Server, firewall, internet connection sharing, Word/Power Point, IIS &
> FTP
> > >server (light load, except when developing).
> >
> > So?  I fail to see your point.
>
> Personally I reboot my WinBox everymorning. Why?

Because you don't know what the hell you're doing, or you're an idiot.

I never have to reboot unless it involves a hardware change or a power
outtage. If you have to reboot daily, then you should get your head
checked.

Unless it's win9x, which would make you even more clueless.

-c

------------------------------

From: Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:55:04 +0100

> btw: have you already seen
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/guide/features.asp

AH! So even Micors~1 admit to  `DLL Hell'

-Ed

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:44:41 GMT

"WesTralia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Everett wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 00:54:12 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > >WATCH OUT! HERE COME THE BLACK HELIOCOPTERS!

> > >Let's see, getting real time flight information, being able to notify
> > >my loved ones 30 minutes before I land so that they can come pick me up,
> > >being instant messaged when I'm outbid on an auction, getting real-time
> > >customer support chat with an American Express customer support
> > >representative...
> > >nah, that doesn't benefit the consumers at all!
> > >

> > This is taken directly from microsoft.com and it's .NET hype pages:
> >
> > " Activities that are still hard now-like reconciling statements
> > from a number of different banks, credit-card companies, and billing
> > agents so that you can pay your bills and file your expense reports-will
> > become much easier as user data can be linked across sites and applications.
> > ...Their data will live securely on the Internet."
> >    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Now really, does the idea of putting all your banking, credit-card,
> > social-security, etc. info to live "securely on the Internet" (i.e.Microsoft
> > hard drive somewhere), really sound like a good idea to you?  How about
> > just giving that information to me.  I'll take good care of it.  Honest.
>

> Microsoft is just an outright riot!  These people know nothing about
> network security and they want people to put personal data on the Internet!

Please show where MS's databases have been compromised.

Until then, please stop talking from your ass.

-c

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Distro Bigotry...
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:00:11 GMT

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:48:27 -0600, spicerun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I agree with you...In my case it wasn't picking an unstable
>distribution....I saw nothing unstable in Suse 7.1.  It was that it
>wouldn't support my preferences....one of which I prefer Gnome over KDE
>(And I'm not here to tell anybody else that Gnome or KDE is better).

SuSE 7.1 comes with a full GNOME 1.2 release.  I am running the very latest
Ximian GNOME on my SuSE 7.1 box right now.

------------------------------

From: Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kulkis - what a joke.
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:58:02 +0100

> fake.  Therefore, you ARE running Windows.  Hey, I basically abhor
> Windows, yet I will freely admit that I run it on occasion.  I AM
> running Windows, but I do not advocate the shit.  At least I can own up
> to the fact that I run it on occasion, yet you cannot.

You're not the only one. Grumble, Winmodem POS grumble.

-Ed

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:47:08 GMT

"WesTralia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > "Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >
> > > Will .NET benefit users: no.
> >
> > Let's see, getting real time flight information, being able to notify
> > my loved ones 30 minutes before I land so that they can come pick me up,
> > being instant messaged when I'm outbid on an auction, getting real-time
> > customer support chat with an American Express customer support
> > representative...
> > nah, that doesn't benefit the consumers at all!
> >

> Psssssssst... Mr Myers... all that technology is already in place and
> available, today!

Psst: no it isn't.

Please show me where I can have my relatives instant messaged when my
plane is nearing landing.

Please show me where I can get real time chat with a customer support
rep from a major company from MY messenger, not their chumpy web site
chat.

Please show me where I can get eBay or another auction site to instant
message me when I've been outbid, or I can check my bids right from
one location without having to go their web site?

Please show me where all this infrastructure for businesses to work
together to provide a single point for the consumer to work with them.
Where is this framework?

There is none. MS .NET, Sun One, and IBM's WebServices are all in development
and MS has the head start.

-c

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hong)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Suse vs RH/Mandrake ? (or what's so great about 7.2)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:45:01 +0000 (UTC)

Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Whats wrong with paying for SuSE Linux? Geeze, what are you? a cheap skate?

        There is nothing wrong with paying for SuSE.  I'm simply stating
that if one is already familiar with Red Hat/Mandrake than you might not
find the investment worth it since it is still just Linux anyways.

>no wonder investers are werry about investing in Linux business with lusers
>like you too tight to part with $US50.

        You are damn right I have a problem with paying $50 for something
that I know I can get elsewhere for virtually free.

>Also, there is a lot of proprietry software included with SuSE Linux's
>Distro, for example, the configuration tool (Yast2 and Yast1) are not open
>source, also, there is some other packages that can't be freely distributed.
>So, before you open your big gob, survey the situation first.

        I have.  Yast is nice.  If you were to kindly actually read my
whole post you would have found that I said there was nothing wrong with
SuSE.  They do have a good distribution.  But if you already familar with
Red Hat/Mandrake, again, I'll say again you may not find spending the
money on SuSE to be worth it when you could get it the same for almost
free.
        Perhaps it is you who should survey the situation first, as in my
post, before opening *your* big gob.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hong)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:41:12 +0000 (UTC)

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>SuSE usually wait 6 weeks or more before making publicly available
>downloadable versions of their product.

        They have a publically downloadable version of SuSE 7.1 *right
now*.  The thing is, you can not actually install it on your machine.  It
will only run from a bootable CDROM and no more.  To actually get SuSE 7.1
you have to purchase either the Personal or Professional edition.