From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Thinking of reading anything by simon777 ? Read this first before you do
Date: 21 Jun 2000 08:57:26 +0800

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 22:39:44 +0200, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>ad·vo·ca·cy (àd¹ve-ke-sê) noun    The act of pleading or arguing in favor of
>something, such as a cause, an idea, or a policy; active support.
>
>You cannot discuss the attributes of Linux in a vacuum - therefore to argue
>in FAVOUR of Linux you will have to mention other choices over which it is
>favoured.  Am I making any sense here???
Yes, I agree, however you said "AGAINST" Linux (pls see below). It was this
additional description of advocacy I took issue with.

To know good, one must know bad, an understanding of both sides of the coin
will give us a paradox, the totality of any concept.

Here in COLA, the Linux advocates put forward the *favorable* aspects of Linux.

Except in error (always a unnoticed crosspost), I have never argued the
favorable aspects of Linux in *any* Windows advocacy group, nor the
negative aspects of Windows.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How many times, installation != usability.
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:02:07 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> open /dev and time how long kfm's little gear takes before it stops
> spinning.
>
> Fresh boot, no cache involved. First thing you do after rebooting.

Between 4-5 seconds for it to finish.
That's 2005 files listed.

I can tell you from experience that NT isn't that quick.
I've got very near 300 files on a local directory at work
and it takes a good 3 seconds to display that.
It's not inconceivable that if it were to do 2005 files it would
be slower.

My machine at work is a Pentium III 500 mhz with a smaller drive than
my machine at home.  Other than that, they are identical.

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Number of Linux Users
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:04:42 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >Or the reverse. I have at least 10 distros sitting on CDs on my bookshelf and
> >another 3 at work. The only one I have installed is a copy of RH 6.1. (yeah, I
> >know, I know)
>
> Could someone explain to me why people seem to have this weird urge to
> collect Linux distributions on their bookshelves?

Sometimes it's hard to avoid getting extra distros, as they are bundled with books

or magazines. Also, it is easier to use newer rpm's in such distros than it is to
download them (at least if you have a regular modem).

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Claims of Windows supporting old applications are reflecting reality
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:07:02 -0400

John Wiltshire wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:56:17 -0700, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Remember the product itself still works - you can still run that old
> >> Windows 1.x software on the Windows 1.x machine you still have.  Just
> >> don't expect it to run on a different machine.  You never expect that
> >> of your consumer appliances.  Why should software be different?
> >
> >I have said this elsewhere in the thread but based on you comment, it seems
> >to be appripriate here as well.
> >

> >One thing I thought some one would point out that it is still possible to
> >run old Windows software on a copy of Windows that was current when the
> >software was written.  Of course this is in most cases legaly impossible,
> >since back when we upgraded from the old Dos or Windows, we lost the legal
> >right to run the prior verion .  Unless we performed the upgrade by
> >purchasing a retail version instead of an upgrade version.  Or we had
> >additional lincensed copies of the prior version that were not also
> >upgraded.
> >

> >Now if Microsoft would release Windows 1.x and Windows 2.x and maybe some
> >older versions of Dos as well, as freeware it would help to make some amends
> >for their past planned obsolences.  That would not hurt the sales of their
> >current product line and it would help them in the good will department and
> >it would cost them nothing or next to nothing.  Today's harware could
> >require a few patches, like software timing loops, but the small effort that
> >they would have to invest in that would also help them in the good will
> >department.  In the long run effort like that might make it possible for
> >them to be able to compete openly and fairly in the market place and still
> >keep their market share.
>
> I *think* you can still get licenses for these products if you try
> really hard.  You'd probably have to talk directly to someone in MS
> though.  With some license rationalization you can probably find
> you've got extra Win9x licenses lying around anyway so you can
> 'unupgrade' the original licenses and survive an audit.

But aren't the OEM licenses bound to a particular machine? I know that
mine is (I bought my computer in January of '98).

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: It's all about the microsurfs
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:10:03 GMT

Nobody on line at MEI Microcenter buying those HP Pavillion computers
pre-loaded with Windows gives a rat's ass.

Linux isn't even an option to the 90 or so percent of the public.

These people walk into a computer supermarket and say to the sales
person "give me your best deal".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: I had a reality check today :(
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:11:09 GMT

That's ok. If Linux can prove it is better than Windows, or Mac, I
will use it.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: What UNIX is good for.
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:13:45 -0400

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:40:34 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> >The last thing I want to do when editing is remove my fingers from the
> >keyboard.
>
> And exactly the reason why you will go the way of the dinosaur...

Yet, I can edit faster with vi then you can with any GUI editor.

Why is that?

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Processing data is bad!
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:14:34 -0400

> Yea but Windows GUI looks and works well.

You've obviously never used X11

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:43:05 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>
> >> There is a reason why the rest of the world has moved mostly to GUI.
> >
> >Unix has had a GUI since, oh... 1983 or so... that makes 17 years.
> >
> >By comparison..windows is.. what... 10 years old?

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: The MEDIA this year!
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:14:24 GMT

You are so incredibly full of shit it is unbelievable.
You never provide a source for any of these grandiose predictions of
yours..

How about some sources?

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:15:04 -0400

Christopher Smith wrote:

> "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Christopher Smith wrote:
> >
> > > "Leslie Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:8im4s5$12u4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > NT has always been able to do it.  Win9x should be able to with any USB
> > > mouse, and you shouldn't be plugging PS/2 mice in with the machine
> powered
> >
> > Why not? Now I do leave X windows because I can't run it wothout a mouse.
>
> Because you can blow the keyboard controller chip on the motherboard (no, I
> didn't believe it either until I actually did it).

But what about the mouse? I would not want to do it with the keyboard because I

might not be able to restore the keyboard/shutdown properly.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Stupid idiots that think KDE is a Window Manager
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:16:33 GMT

Okay, I'll play....
I think you actually mean business here so I'm going
to entertain you personally.

Go into C or Cobol or what you have there and write me out
a large serial file with say 80 Byte or what ever length record
you want.

Write out 20 megs worth.

Then read it in.

Repeat the read several times.

>From raw re-boot, the NT box shows no speed difference from
the first read to the last.

Now, go try it on any Linux.  You will find that disk caching
has been observed and subsequent read's are faster.

This is why you wanted me to do it from a re-boot and I complied.
Then I did it again, point well taken.  It is quicker the second
time around.

And you admitted this being a factor.

And by admitting that as a factor, you have proven to all of us
that you agree NT IE Microsoft isn't worth it's weight in shit
as it cashes nothing from the drive.

And that's true.  NT cashes nothing.
It is the most resource abusing operating system I've ever seen.

I think it takes every meg you have of memory and committe's it
to program memory for working storage issues.

NT doesn't even know what a disk cache is.

But I want you and the other's to re-read what you and I've said
so they can see the comments for themselves.

You make a point of proving Windows is superior and by doing so
show us you know of it's deficiencies...

That's sort of defeatest on your part, isn't it.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:17:49 -0400

Tim Palmer wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:32:20 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> >
> >Trolls have said some pretty funny things, but Tim Palmer has to be the
> >best. He keeps slamming UNIX for its (good( ability to process data.
>
> The onley data UNIX can proces is text trying to process anything
> else would short cuircit the VT100 terminall.

You are alleging that programs written for unix can only process bytes
in the range of printable ascii characters?

Tell me, oh, Lord of the Shitheads...

After a compiler produces object modules, which are NOT text files...

how, pray tell, do the objects and libraries get linked together?

According to you, such an operation is impossible on UNIX.

Tell me why EVERY major automaker in the world uses UNIX to design
vehicles.

Since when is CAD text processing, YOU MORON!

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:19:05 GMT

Oh crap!  Pick up any computer magazine at your local office they have.

I want other people to post to this and give him your side of it.

Charlie