From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux MUST be in TROUBLE
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:21:18 -0400

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:37:51 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Pete Goodwin wrote:
>
> >> No of course not. I only worked on it for about 3 years. Obviously I never
> >> learnt UNIX.
> >>
> >> NOT!
> >
> >Explain the Unix task scheduler.
>
> Which one?
>
> The task scheduler in something like Version 7 is completely different
> from the one in Solaris, which is completely different from the one in
> QNX.
>
> The "classic" Unix scheduler in something like Version 7 is extremely
> primitive and does nothing more than round robin scheduling, where a
> running process is allowed to run for a maximum time interval before
> it is interrupted, with some simplistic prioritization kludged in, and a
> preference toward scheduling processes which have just woken up from
> sleep to speed up interactive apps.

And yet, even the Version 7 task scheduler (circa 1978) is more
reliable and less likely to crash than LoseDows.  Why is that?

Hint fucking hint:  Keep it simple, stupid.

> Something like Solaris is more
> complicated since it has MP support, which often amounts to little more
> than adding processor affinity, so processes continue to run on the same
> processor so they follow the cache. Something like QNX is a completely
> different beast since it has real-time support.
>
> A more interesting exercise would be for YOU to explain the VMS
> scheduler, which is much more complex (it has THREE types of jobs:
> real-time, batch, and interactive), and actually takes into account which

Unix solves the same task much more elegantly, with less overhead.

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

> resources are available and schedules processes accordingly. It is much
> more involved than the Unix scheduler. The Windows NT scheduler is
> extremely similar to it also.

The LoseNT scheduler is a CPU hog in itself.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:21:55 -0400

Woofbert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Explain the Unix task scheduler.
>
> Hey, where does a Unix newbie find this kind of stuff out? (And don't
> send me to no friggin Man pages... ) Got any good books to recommend?

Check

"The Design of the Unix Operating System" by Bach.

> --
> Woofbert <woofbert at infernosoft dot com>
> Datadroid
> Infernosoft: Putting the No in Innovation.
> http://www.infernosoft.com/woofbert/index.html

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:29:16 -0400

Woofbert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Explain the Unix task scheduler.
>
> Hey, where does a Unix newbie find this kind of stuff out? (And don't
> send me to no friggin Man pages... ) Got any good books to recommend?

Oh, also

Operating Systems: Internals and Design Principles by William Stallings

> --
> Woofbert <woofbert at infernosoft dot com>
> Datadroid
> Infernosoft: Putting the No in Innovation.
> http://www.infernosoft.com/woofbert/index.html

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:30:03 -0400

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:37:51 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Pete Goodwin wrote:
>
> >> No of course not. I only worked on it for about 3 years. Obviously I never
> >> learnt UNIX.
> >>
> >> NOT!
> >
> >Explain the Unix task scheduler.
>
> Which one?
>
> The task scheduler in something like Version 7 is completely different
> from the one in Solaris, which is completely different from the one in
> QNX.
>
> The "classic" Unix scheduler in something like Version 7 is extremely
> primitive and does nothing more than round robin scheduling, where a

Describe how this is accomplished.

> running process is allowed to run for a maximum time interval before
> it is interrupted, with some simplistic prioritization kludged in, and a
> preference toward scheduling processes which have just woken up from
> sleep to speed up interactive apps. Something like Solaris is more
> complicated since it has MP support, which often amounts to little more
> than adding processor affinity, so processes continue to run on the same
> processor so they follow the cache. Something like QNX is a completely
> different beast since it has real-time support.
>
> A more interesting exercise would be for YOU to explain the VMS
> scheduler, which is much more complex (it has THREE types of jobs:
> real-time, batch, and interactive), and actually takes into account which
> resources are available and schedules processes accordingly. It is much
> more involved than the Unix scheduler. The Windows NT scheduler is
> extremely similar to it also.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: What UNIX is good for.
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:29:47 GMT

Because you are a geek.....

And I can produce 100 secrateries that can produce fantastic
presentations, embedded video/audio and so forth with Powerpoint while
you are still figuring out how to get latex to work with the overhead
projector.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: The MEDIA this year!
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:30:15 GMT

Sources?
Sources?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Processing data is bad!
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:31:07 GMT

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:14:34 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> Yea but Windows GUI looks and works well.
>
>You've obviously never used X11

Sure have and it looks like shit and is slow as shit.

This applies to both Intel platforms and RS 6000 platforms.

it makes my eyes tear.....

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I had a reality check today :(
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:32:40 -0400

> If that's the best reply you can muster, you are a moron...
>
> You are an ostrich hiding in the sand and refusing to face the
> reality.

Evidently, Simon is unaware of Judge Jackson's ruling.
And the fact that Microsoft's testimony was frought with so many
lies that, even M$'s courtroom supporters were appalled at the
level of perjury.

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:36:18 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Edited to correct false innuendo and implication of terms.
> >
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>
> >> Daughter graduating middle school this week and going into high school
> >> and I thought a nice desktop computer system would make a worthwhile
> >> graduation present.
> >>
> >> I have ALWAYS built every single one of my systems in the past all the
> >> way from DTK motherboard based PC clones up to the Abit based system I
> >> have now. Never, ever,ever, bought a pre-load.
> >>
> >> This time, possibly due to laziness or just a wearing down by all of
> >> the glossy advertisements in the Sunday NY Times, I decided to go out
> >> and look at all of these "ready made" systems that the typical Joe 18
> >> pack will buy.
> >>
> >> BTW my daughter wants an iMac. Anybody know anything about them?
> >>
> >> Anyway, I went to CompUSA, Staples, Electronic City and several local
> >> places, the kind of places I would avoid like the plague on my quest
> >> and here is what I found.
> >>
> >> 1. LOSE Hardware is EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!
> >>      Motherboards have built in modems, Ethernet, SoundChips, video
> >> and so forth. Much of this is LOSE hardware.
> >>
> >> 2. The included printer is usually some POS LOSE printer. Same for
> >> scanner and USB devices are sometimes included as well.
> >>
> >> 3. The operating system is always LOSE 98SE and no credit is given for
> >> not getting it.
> >>
> >> 4. Internet bundles (you are hostage to Compu$erve for 3 years) are
> >> typically used to lower price.
> >>
> >> 5. You get a bunch of low priced software and nothing of real
> >> substance. The exception was MS Works which is pretty decent.
> >>
> >> The iMac is starting to look better all the time :)
> >>
> >> Anyway, my point is that this is the typical way that a user buys a
> >> computer. They are not like you and me who build our own, they walk
> >> into a chain store and buy what seems, to them, to be the best value.
> >>
> >> My question is, how is Linux going to realistically overcome this?
> >
> >Destruction of "per CPU" licensing schemes is the first step.
> >

> >> Looking at the specs for Compaq, HP, Sony VIAO and others, absolutely
> >> NONE of these would run Linux and support all the I/O devices the
> >> person paid for.
> >>
> >> This IS the computer hardware market, like it or not. And I for one
> >> DON't like it.
> >>
> >> Comments?

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:32:28 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is awesome!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> But I wasn't addressing you, your credentials speak for themself :)

Yes, they do.  And you can verify my credentials.  The same can not be said of
you.

Gary

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Linux Challenge
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:33:03 -0400

David Steinberg wrote:

> BR ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : http://www.networkcomputing.com/1112/1112f1.html
> : Read it. Reflect on it. Enjoy it.
>
> One piece of information (just from the introduction) that jumped out at
> me was this:
>
>      And Alpha Processors Inc. (API) says the focus on Linux after
>      Microsoft decided to stop supporting the Alpha platform has
>      contributed to the 45 percent increase API has seen in Alpha sales.
>
> I had never heard that before.  In fact, I've never before heard of
> hardware sales INCREASING because a major software product stops
> supporting it!
>
> Although I can't figure out the logic behind it, apparently it's true: the
> market sees the alpha as a more viable platform without NT than with it.

But was NT 64 bit on alpha?

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Stupid idiots that think KDE is a Window Manager
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:34:11 GMT

You lose asshole.

The majority of the population is not interested in writing programs.
They USE programs....

You show how much of an idiot you are with every post.

Again:

/dev OPEN IT WITH KFM AND SEE HOW LONG IT TAKES...

Try a 20k directory under Windows 2k and it is INSTANTANEOUS!!!!!
YOU CAN SCROLL FROM SECOND ONE......

What is so hard about this for you to comprehend?

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:35:26 GMT

You have to own Microsoft stock don't you.
That's the only answer I have.

You failed in your KDE VS Windows bid, didn't
even come back to argue that point again with me.

As I said before!
Pick up ANY COMPUTER MAGAZINE from your office or
your grocery store and you will find it chalked full
of stories about Linux and even more surprising, "EDITORIALS"
from the EDITORS proposing your office switch to Linux this year!

Now, be a BIG BOY and go do that for me.
Do that as you didn't finish your KDE VS Windows argument with me.

Charlie