Linux-Advocacy Digest #216, Volume #32           Thu, 15 Feb 01 16:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: This is astonishing (MS/DRM/Hardware Control) (Craig Kelley)
  Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation
  Re: KDE Whiners (Mig)
  Re: Oh dear...another 1 (nearly) bites the dust... ("whoever")
  Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation (Mig)
  Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Interesting article (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation (Craig Kelley)
  Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation
  Re: KDE Whiners (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: KDE Whiners (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation
  Re: Interesting article
  Re: I will give MS credit for one thing
  Re: and none of it is done with windows (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else (Robert Surenko)
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: and none of it is done with windows ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Someone, help me (please)   (Exit: PhatLinux versus Windows 98) ("Johan De Clerck")
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! (The Ghost In The Machine)

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: This is astonishing (MS/DRM/Hardware Control)
Date: 15 Feb 2001 13:11:13 -0700

Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 14 Feb 2001 21:14:19 -0700, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> <...>
>
> > > Protection schemes of any sort only lasted a few weeks in the eighties.
> > > Now, nearly everybody has a computer.
> > > It'll be only days before its' broken.
> >
> > Think public-key encryption.  Signed stuff cannot be broken with
> > technology when half the key resides outside of your control.  When
> > was the last time a 1024bit RSA key was legitimately cracked?
>
> Dont't bother trying to decrypt, just nop out the relevent routines,
> thereby sidestepping the protection.
>
> The crackers will have a patched version of Whistler on the streets before
> MS's shrinkwrap hits the shelves.

What are these "shelves" that you're refering to?  It will be a
subscription based service, where a bulk of the logic resides on a
non-hackable blackbox on the other end of your network connection.
That's Microsoft's dream.  One box, one credit card, one nation with
intellectual chains.

> > Now, social engineering is another ball of wax.
>
> Social engineering? From Microsoft?

Sure; a low-level certificate signer inadvertently gives out
Microsoft's private key that they use to sign drivers.  That would be
all sorts of fun.  :)  Almost as much fun as grabbing the DNS entries
associated with their key .NET servers, or any one of many other
scenarios.

Of course, I'd never condone such actions -- I'd reccomend running
BSD or Linux instead.  I always laugh when I talk to Windows software
pirates; the hypocrasy is amazing.  (where are you Drestin Black?)

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:12:41 -0000

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:49:12 +0100, Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Tim Hanson wrote:
>
>> I wonder if anyone is actually listening to that drivel.  They ought to
>> get together with the KDE team!
>
>OK... now i've got it . youre the Gnome equivalent of flatfish.

        What makes you think he's necessarily in GNOME's corner?

        One can detest KDE without being a GNOME booster or even
        a GNOME user really. By pushing a false dichotomy, you
        are more of a flatfish.

>Now we just miss someone like you two from  1) KDE 2) XFCE 3) WindowMaker
>4) Enlightenment 5) Blackbox  6) The rest
>
>You can call your team 7 idiots and a  fish
[deletia]

--

  > ...then there's that NSA version of Linux...

  This would explain the Mars polar lander problem.

                                        Kyle Jacobs, COLA

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE Whiners
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:08:26 +0100

Tim Hanson wrote:

> > Its certainly not what we in Europe are used to.
>
> If "we in Europe" can't get used to it, "we in Europe" need to get out
> of the global software market.  It's a dog's life.

How do you know its a dogs life?

> > Why the heck should there
> > be a link to Ximian when one searches for "TheKompany" or "TrollTech" or
> > "KDE" ??
>
> Why not?  For Ximian it's good business.

Yes... but probably illegal here

[cut ]
> > If it was not dirty why is it then removed?
>
> They shouldn't have caved to KDE whining.  They should have made the ads
> bigger.

But they removed them.. you lost kid

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: "whoever" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oh dear...another 1 (nearly) bites the dust...
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:13:12 -0600

mlw wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Tom Wilson wrote:
>>
>> "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > Absolutely! Wouldn't you also consider that a service?
>> >
>> > In that not, has anyone seen the new PostgreSQL book? Its pretty good.
>>
>> No. Please expand. What's it like?
>
>It is very good. I bought a few copies for my co-workers. It has a good SQL
>outline as relevant to postres, and has a very good reference to all the
bits
>and pieces of Postgres. It is easier to look at the index than to try and
find
>the info on-line. Great desk reference.
>
>The whole thing is available on-line, but it is worth the bucks to have the
>print.
>
>--
>http://www.mohawksoft.com

What's the name of the book and publisher? I didn't see it mentioned in the
thread anywhere.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 15 Feb 2001 20:16:19 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:96h6sc$oh6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Bob Tennent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
> news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-4825719-RHAT.html?tag=ltnc
>>
>> > Poor Microsoft! They're running to the government to protect their
> business
>> > model against those property-stealing anti-American open-sourcers.
> Boo-hoo-hoo!
>>
>> Indeed.  With every move by that bloated behemoth, they make themselves
> look
>> more and more like spoiled little children.
>>
>> Erik?  Comments?

> Well, I don't particular agree with his comments in particular, though he
> does have a partial point.  Open Source does threaten commercial software
> innovation.  Why should a company (not just MS) invest millions into R&D
> when open source peoplewill come along and offer a free version?

EXACTLY.  In fact, lets legislate it, just like he wants to do.  And since
he WAS speaking for microsoft; lets make the law that MICROSOFT wants to make:

Lets outlaw open source.

> On a side note, why is it that the words of one man are always taken as the
> official word of MS?

When he speaks to the press as a representative of the company Microsoft.

Press conferencing is a simple concept.

=====.

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:12:25 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:49:12 +0100, Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Tim Hanson wrote:
> >
> >> I wonder if anyone is actually listening to that drivel.  They ought to
> >> get together with the KDE team!
> >
> >OK... now i've got it . youre the Gnome equivalent of flatfish.
>
> What makes you think he's necessarily in GNOME's corner?
>
> One can detest KDE without being a GNOME booster or even
> a GNOME user really. By pushing a false dichotomy, you
> are more of a flatfish.

OK.. then lets put him in "The rest" cathegory and make nr. 7 "Gnome"..
happy?

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 15 Feb 2001 20:17:50 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:49:12 +0100, Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Tim Hanson wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if anyone is actually listening to that drivel.  They ought to
>>> get together with the KDE team!
>>
>>OK... now i've got it . youre the Gnome equivalent of flatfish.

>       What makes you think he's necessarily in GNOME's corner?

>       One can detest KDE without being a GNOME booster or even
>       a GNOME user really. By pushing a false dichotomy, you
>       are more of a flatfish.

Heres the skinny on gnome and kde:

They both suck, but GTK looks better with windowmaker than QT widgets,
which suck ass.

=====.

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:18:34 GMT

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Giuliano Colla wrote:
> >
> > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> > >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > "Asshole" is reserved for people like Goodwin and Myers who constantly
> > > post all kinds of lies.
> > >
> > > The remaining Windows admins are merely idiots.
> > >
> > > [Idiots because only an idiot would work for 1/5 the pay of a Unix
> > > admin while doing 10x as much labor to accomplish 1/10 as much]
> > >

> > Sorry, but I disagree. If they can only point and click,
>
> that's why I call them idiots.
>
> >                                                         what should
> > they do? Apply for a Unix admin position?
>
> Take the first step and learn how to use Unix at the user level.
>
> > They're just taking advantage of a situation where being competent or
> > not doesn't make any real difference. Or they've just been unlucky. In
> > that case they use Linux at home.
>
> The marketplace is STARVING for Unix admins...

Honestly, I didn't know.

--
Giuliano Colla

Before activating the tongue, make sure that the brain is
connected (anonymous)

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Feb 2001 13:19:12 -0700

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:96h6sc$oh6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Bob Tennent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-4825719-RHAT.html?tag=ltnc
> >
> > > Poor Microsoft! They're running to the government to protect their
> business
> > > model against those property-stealing anti-American open-sourcers.
> Boo-hoo-hoo!
> >
> > Indeed.  With every move by that bloated behemoth, they make themselves
> look
> > more and more like spoiled little children.
> >
> > Erik?  Comments?
>
> Well, I don't particular agree with his comments in particular, though he
> does have a partial point.  Open Source does threaten commercial software
> innovation.  Why should a company (not just MS) invest millions into R&D
> when open source peoplewill come along and offer a free version?

That's laughable.  If Microsoft ever comes up with something that they
can patent without the courts laughing at them then they will have
that right.  They deperately want to be seen as an open provider of
solutions, but they do not want any of the good (IMHO) baggage that
comes along with it.  Look at their questions for Sun; they display a
complete lack of knowledge about how to do open systems.  Look at PC
systems; they want the cheap hardware to run Windows, but now they
don't want to have the open systems that allow "rogue" software to run
on it.

This all traces back to Bill's open letter to the community in the
70s; whinning about how the smart people should force the dumb people
to give them money.  Call it a not-so-polite difference of opinion on
our part, if you like.

> On a side note, why is it that the words of one man are always taken as the
> official word of MS?  When Jim Clark sent a letter to MS begging them to buy
> Netscape, Barksdale dismissed it as not being an official statement of the
> company, yet he was the president, not just a VP as Alchin is.

Well, it was in an on-the-record report by CNET; you can't really get
much more official than that.  If Wired or Salon had reported it as
something they just "overheard", you could question the source.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:19:21 -0000

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:22:53 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:96h6sc$oh6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Bob Tennent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-4825719-RHAT.html?tag=ltnc
>>
>> > Poor Microsoft! They're running to the government to protect their
>business
>> > model against those property-stealing anti-American open-sourcers.
>Boo-hoo-hoo!
>>
>> Indeed.  With every move by that bloated behemoth, they make themselves
>look
>> more and more like spoiled little children.
>>
>> Erik?  Comments?
>
>Well, I don't particular agree with his comments in particular, though he
>does have a partial point.  Open Source does threaten commercial software
>innovation.  Why should a company (not just MS) invest millions into R&D
>when open source peoplewill come along and offer a free version?

        Isn't that what patents and copyrights are already for?

[deletia]

        Besides, that risk is inherent for any product in a free market.
        What Microsoft is really complaining about is a free market where
        they can't merely "cut off their air supply". The real problem
        isn't that the competitors are gratis but that they aren't able
        to be bullied out of the market.

--

        Unless you've got the engineering process to match a DEC,
        you won't produce a VMS.

        You'll just end up with the likes of NT.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:58:52 +0000

It was the Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:36:16 -0500...
...and Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > which is naturally a lot worse than, say, the KKK
> >
> > Fortunately they're largely ignored or ridiculed. Most are breeding
> > themselves out of existance by marrying first cousins. Kind of like the
> > European Royal Families only they live in trailers and seldom bathe.
>
> Come to think of it...European Royal Families weren't known for
> the best bathing habits, either.

At the heyday of baroque absolutism, the nobility didn't bathe at all
because it was supposed to be unhealthy. It's also noteworthy that
most trailers feature better sanitation that your typical 17th century
castle. Versailles, for example, had zero toilets, for lack of a moat
<g>. The usual way of dealing with your bodily functions was just
sitting down somewhere in a corner and letting the personnel take care
of the residue.

mawa
--
ZWEIUNDVIERZIG

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:02:21 +0000

It was the Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:02:57 +0000...
...and Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Why the heck should
> > there  be a link to Ximian when one searches for "TheKompany" or
> > "TrollTech" or
> > "KDE" ??
>
> If I search for KDE, I don't want to see stuff about Ximian.

If I watch TV, I dont want to see commercials every twenty minutes.
I'd like to have commercial breaks only once, in the middle of the
film, and just long enough to brew one cup of tea and go to the
toilet.

mawa
--
Taubenfütterer!
TED-Abstimmer!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:21:53 -0000

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:46:55 GMT, Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>>
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:96h6sc$oh6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > Bob Tennent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > >
>> news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-4825719-RHAT.html?tag=ltnc

>> business
>> Boo-hoo-hoo!
>> >
>> > Indeed.  With every move by that bloated behemoth, they make themselves
>> look
>> > more and more like spoiled little children.
>> >
>> > Erik?  Comments?
>>
>> Well, I don't particular agree with his comments in particular, though he
>> does have a partial point.  Open Source does threaten commercial software
>> innovation.  Why should a company (not just MS) invest millions into R&D
>> when open source peoplewill come along and offer a free version?
>
>It certainly threatens Microsoft's model of selling proprietary code and
>earning 80% profit margins from it, that's for sure.  It threatens
>Microsoft's hold on the choke points, where everyone else has to ask
>permission from Microsoft to innovate.  While it does threaten
>commercial proprietary software sales, software innovation is alive and
>well.

        There is still value in a "better mousetrap". Genuine innovation
        will remain something difficult to quickly replicate. Free
        Software only threatens "last years crap" sold as "this year's
        innovation".

[deletia]

        Anything that can be easily replicated by volunteers does
        not merit it's authors a licence to print money.

--

        Having seen my prefered platform being eaten away by vendorlock and
        the Lemming mentality in the past, I have a considerable motivation to

        Free Software is the only way to level the playing field against a
        market leader that has become immune to market pressures.

        The other alternatives are giving up and just allowing the mediocrity
        to walk all over you or to see your prefered product die slowly.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:28:40 -0000

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:11:23 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Mike Byrns wrote:

>> > I grow weary of having to ask over and over for a SOURCE for these fantastic
>> > numbers you linux folks seem to pull from thin air.
>>
>> Sorry to hear of your woes!
>>
>> Look into it if it's bothering you, and get it cleared up.
>
>The only information I saw in this regards was an ESTIMATE of the
>TOTAL size of the OSS COMMUNITY (not just Linux). And it was around
>250k. However, there are about as many projects going on, so it
>averages to about 1.2 developers per projects. Which explains why
>nothing is getting done.

        They're getting done faster than Microsoft did them actually.

--

        Section 8. The Congress shall have power...

        To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for
        limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their
        respective writings and discoveries;
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: I will give MS credit for one thing
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:34:58 -0000

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:32:11 +0000 (UTC), Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: I am no MS advocate.  But, I will admit one thing:  Windows Media player is
>: much better than the video MPEG players I have used on Linux.  For video
>: MPEG, I usually use SMPEG w/ its plaympeg app to play videos.  On very large
>: video mpeg files, like for example a high-quality 50 MB music video, both
>: plaympeg and xmms w/ the smpeg plugin choke on the video, and the audio and
>: video both get horrible out of sync.
>
><snip!>
>
>Have you tried "mtv" yet?  While it is shareware, I've yet to find
>an MPEG file that it doesn't like.  I recommend giving it a try
>and post back if it works/doesn't work on your setup.

        OMS and Xine might be good suggestions too. Both are designed
        to be DVD players, so they are certainly intended for use on
        large MPEG files. Xine works well enough on VOB files under
        my K63/400 with XF4 and a G400. IDE DMA being activated for
        the source device also helps.

--

        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: and none of it is done with windows
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:39:17 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> 1. you have no idea what theyve done to the archive, because youre a
> blithering
>    idiot.

All I have to do is goto where dejanews used to be and take a good look at
what they have done with the archive. Like I said, based on the title of
this thread "and none of it is done with windows" - this new interim format
is something to be proud of, is it?

> 2. all you know is that it looks different now and it only goes back six
> months.
>    with your very, very small brain, you've figured out that this means
>    theyve nuked the archive.
>
> You truly are an idiot.  Stop posting at once.

I never said they nuked the archive, pillock.

--
---
Pete Goodwin, running Linux Mandrake 7.2

------------------------------

From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:38:45 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Mercer) writes:

>> Their is certainly a strong element of faith in science.  We
>> accept the existence of that we have no direct knowledge (muons,
>> for instance) based upon the assurances of people we have no
>> direct knowledge.  Is it really that far a stretch to believe
>> Christ existed based on the works of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John
>> than to believe black holes exist.

> science is based upon *repeatability*.  that which cannot be repeated
> is not science.

Science has suggested the therory that specific traits in a species
make it more successful than others. I suggest that you are of a species
that is succcesful because it belives things repeatable.

Your belief in "repeatability" is an illusion produced by a hormone
in your brain. It may or may not "really" be repeatable.

prove it.

Or how about this one...

Little fairies manipulate scientific experiments for their infinite
amusment and joy. These little fairies are from the 5th dimension
and feel their greatest acomplishment is that they have faked out the
humans who now believe that all objects fall at the same rate.

All smart little fairies know that heavy things fall faster.

Prove it.

Or maybe....

We are all asleep in little pods. We are hooked to a virtual reality
program called the Matrix...

My point is that Science is based on some fudemental principles
that can not be proven, such as the belief that repeatability
means something.

> science is a method.  you give a hypothesis.  you do an experiment to
> show that the hypothesis holds.  you give people enough information to
> reconstruct the experiment.  if others can reproduce it, you begin to
> accept the hypothesis may be true.  if enough other experiments based
> on extrapolation of the hypothesis prove to work, then you start to
> trust it more and more.

And as soon as you completely trust it, someone comes up with an
experiment that dis-proves it.

Science comes up with stuff that works... but it does not lead to
truth.

- Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- http://www.fred.net/surenko/

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:41:50 +0000

T. Max Devlin wrote:

> >Ah but I keep forgetting. Linux isn't a large amorphous, it's the base
> >system. On top of which you have, The Gimp, KDE, GNOME, etc. All pulling
> >in different directions, all following their own thing...
>
> Yea, kind of like every other computer system.  See how that works.

Linux + KDE is the closest there is to Windows. Yet I don't dissect
Windows, so why should I with Linux?

> Dufus.

Dweeb.

--
---

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 15 Feb 2001 20:44:29 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> 1. you have no idea what theyve done to the archive, because youre a
>> blithering
>>    idiot.

> All I have to do is goto where dejanews used to be and take a good look at
> what they have done with the archive.

Really now?  And what exactly have they done with it?

> Like I said, based on the title of
> this thread "and none of it is done with windows" - this new interim format
> is something to be proud of, is it?

Interim format?  Its final format will be backended linux also, dipshit.

=====.

------------------------------

From: "Johan De Clerck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Someone, help me (please)   (Exit: PhatLinux versus Windows 98)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:46:17 +0100

Can i really install Phat Linux without losing Windows?? (Or do I to
repartition my HD?).
If yes (on the first question): do you have to install it via Windows-itself
or via MS-DOS?

Thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:48:35 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, T. Max Devlin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:32:45 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Tue, 13 Feb 2001
>>On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 23:59:46 +0100, Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>Do you know how Epsons command language works?
>>>Nope i dont thin so.
>>
>>He doesn't have to.
>>He runs Windows and selects "Epson" from a menu and it works.
>
>In theory.  Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!  Because we know it FAILS MORE THAN ANY
>OTHER PUTATIVELY COMPETITIVE OPERATING SYSTEM EVER MADE!  Bwah-ha-ha-ha!

Pedant point: it may fail more often because it's used more often.
That said...anytime I have to use Windows, I get suspicious.

Linux, I can trust.  Windows?  I have to think about it.

One reason I can trust Linux is that, if it does break, it's something
I can go in there and troubleshoot.  Not everyone can, of course
(think of a poor newbie trying to replace a head gasket, for example! :-) ),
and I do have to agree with Pete that it should work for the newbie
(although it's not clear it should work for the Compleat Idiot Who
Can't Determine The Type Of His Printer And Selects 'Epson' When He
Should Have Selected 'LaserJet', or something :-) -- I'm not suggesting
Pete did this, of course, but it's a possibility in some cases,
especially with X video or printer models from the same manufacturer).

Windows is more difficult.  Not impossible, perhaps, in some cases,
especially if one is intimately familiar with the (spit) registry.
Just more difficult.

[rest snipped]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- and I don't get paid for thinking about OS bugs
                    I'm here, you're there, and that's pretty much it.