From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Earn some money with Linux
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 03:34:24 -0500

Benjamin Lvovsky wrote:

> OK. That's cool. But do Linux people actually BUY software? Everyone got
> used to get it for free. Except $5 CDs because it's cheaper to buy then to
> download and burn;) "FREE" software kills the market. It kills itself.

Just because you write something on Linux doesn't mean that you can't
keep YOUR code proprietary....because, in fact, you CAN.

However, free software ups the ante by making it more difficult for
people to charge for crappy code...because someone will come along
and write something better, for free, just for the noteriety
(which usually translates into better salary in the job market).

> "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:02:46 GMT, Benjamin Lvovsky
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Do you mean I can I sell compiled with say G++ executables without
> > > providing the source code? I thought GPL and other licences do not
> > > allow that.
> >
> > You can't modify g++ and sell that without providing source code.  But
> > you can certainly compile your own code with g++ and keep it
> > proprietary.  The GNU toolset is widely used in embedded systems, to
> > give one example of using g++ for proprietary projects.
> >
> > --
> >  -| Bob Hauck
> >  -| Codem Systems, Inc.
> >  -| http://www.codem.com/

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: pete@- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: Java, the "Dot-Com" Language?
Date: 31 Mar 2001 00:00:50 -0800

In article <9a3om1$6li$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "2 says...

>And this is BEFORE the .NET platform goes to manufacturing.

wow! man, this .net and c-hash is so amazing. It has allready beat Sun
and Oracle and IBM and everyother company and technology out there
and it is not out yet!

what an amazing thing it must be.

you must be so brain dead, and the most idiot who ever posted anything
anywhere.

how much is billy paying you to come say all of this?

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows "speed"
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 00:56:31 -0800

Barry Manilow wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:
> >
> > Barry Manilow wrote:
> > >
> > > "T. Mx Devlin" wrote:
> > >
> > >    NT is
> > >
> > > I believe it has been shown over and over that NT is about 20% slower
> > > than Win 98, which was 20% slower to Win95.  WinME has been shown to
> > > be 10% slower than Win98.  Win2K is the slowest of all.  A friend has
> > > it on a 700 MHZ and it is so slow it is depressing.  I just got thru
> > > using NT on a 600 MHZ with 128 MB and it was quite slow.  Like a
> > > lumbering beast.
> > > --
> > > Bob
> > > Being flamed?  Don't know why?  Take the Flame Questionnaire(TM)
> > > today!
> > > Why do you think you are being flamed?
> > > [ ] You continued a long, stupid thread
> > > [ ] You started an off-topic thread
> > > [ ] You posted something totally uninteresting
> > > [ ] People don't like your tone of voice
> > > [ ] Other (describe)
> > > [ ] None of the above
> >
> > Hello Barry.
>
> Grey Cloud!  Wassup my man?  LTNS.  :)

Been doing medical runs for an Alzheimers facility and med conferencing
all day long.
And I'm still up.

> That's about what I've read in the microsoft performance
> > ng.
> > It just keeps getting slower by each release.  Some say Solaris is slow,
> > but on my machine as compared to win98, its a lot faster than win98.
> >
> Yes it used to be, "Boot Windows, get a cup of coffee".  But if this
> trend keeps going, it'll be, "Boot Windows, go to Colombia."
> --

>From a hardware perspective it'll probably take a Pentium IV to boot XP
by the way the past trends have been.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Stress Co-operation, not Hateful Competition
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 03:39:14 -0500

"Adrian Pepper [MFCF]" wrote:

> Okay, so I just saw on my boss' screen the picture of a giant Tux
> squashing the Microsoft buildings like he was Godzilla.
>
> I thought it looked pretty funny,
>
> But realistically, there is no reason Linux can't and shouldn't be
> touted as a complementary aid to Microsoft Windows use, as opposed to a
> competive adversary.

Considering that Mafia$oft views ANY and ALL non-Mafia$oft systems
as opponents to be destroyed, treating them as anything other than
an enemy force could be disastrous.

> I have a dual-boot ME/RedHat7.0 system, and find that Linux makes a
> great Microsoft Windows systems administration tool.  Lots of things I
> should theoretically try and get working under Linux (e.g. USB CD-R/RW)
> I haven't bothered to do yet, because it's relatively easy to transfer
> files back-and-forth, or simply work with them in my third "shared"
> partition.  Most of the time, for peace-of-mind, I don't have my main
> Microsoft Windows partition mounted when I'm running Linux, but do so
> only occasionally.  E.g. to use "find" to ferret out potentially
> embarassing stuff from the browser caches which Microsoft Windows
> insists on hiding from you.
>
> Personal records and stuff I prefer to maintain in KISS text files,
> using shell scripts and perl and stuff to manipulate them (under
> Linux).  Right now browsing, and remote access is all under Microsoft
> Windows (or using floppies).  Backups I do by putting tar files into
> the shared partition and copying them to a CD-R when I'm running
> Microsoft Windows.  My web pages I develop under Linux, previewing with
> Netscape under RedHat as file: URLs (though I'm tempted to run a Web
> server to allow more things to be tested, e.g. .htaccess, Indexes, even
> CGIs).  While investigating ECMAScript I might send some pages over to
> the Microsoft Windows partitions for viewing there.
>
> But in any case, I don't see why Linux and Microsoft Windows need to be
> viewed as alternatives.  As a consumer, I want both.  I don't want
> either side eliminating my versatility by eliminating the other
> option.
>
> My dream machine would be a laptop containing at least three distinct
> machines all with access to the display and as many other devices as is
> practical.  One machine would be Linux, the other Microsoft Windows,
> and the third would be a dedicated file server useable by both of
> them.  But hey, you might be able to persuade me to have a MacOS system
> running on a fourth internal machine, too.
>
> As a consumer, I want to be able to drink Coca-Cola sometimes, and
> Seven-Up, Mountain Dew, Canada Dry, and even plain old water at other
> times.
>
> I want to be able to own a Subaru but still occasionally rent a Chevy
> truck, or ride my bicycle.
>
> Viewing things as a consumer, no product is "the best".  It is
> essential to me as a consumer that the diversity remains in all
> things.
>
> And this applies to operating systems and other software as well.
>
> Adrian Pepper

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Now I know
Date: 31 Mar 2001 08:55:25 GMT

On 31 Mar 2001 01:21:49 GMT,
 Fred K Ollinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David Jordan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
>:    At last I've understood why GNU/Linux was so stable,
>: it was just 'cause it could do nothing apart from simple
>: fork() and listening to a TCP port.
>
> You still haven't understood the philosophy so I'm not sad to see you go.
> Doing little in the base OS, is a good thing.
>
>:    Now that it is starting to be taken as an alternative for
>: the desktop I see its ... let's call UI's are going to do all
>: the painful way Windows has already done through
>: unstability, incompabilities and the so.
>
> Which ones are unstable?  Blackbox is superfast and very stable.
I have used Blackbox since about may 1999,and I'musing it now,at NO time
has it locked up or done anything it shouldnt.Blackbox is a light and fast
WM, and a credit to the author.

>  I don't
> even think it has reached 1.0 yet so this means that the developers are
> making no promises of stability, at all.  Why is this more stable than
> windows 98, MS had 98 chances to increase stability, they should've been
> stable 97 versions ago.
The latest version is  0.61.1, thats the version I compiled recently.

>:    I've recently switched from GNU/Linux for my
>: desktop (I am a GNU/Linux, Unix system administrator)
>: by a Windows 2000 Pro. Advantages = more stability
>
> I don't believe it.
Nor do I.

>: (believe it or not), better web surfing, boss documents
>: 100% compatibility and by far better e-mail clients;
>: disadvantages = price (just it). GNU/Linux has
>: failed to develop a browser (Konqueror, Galeon,
>
> There is a glut of browsers.
Yep I've been running Mozilla 0.8.1 fora few days sinve its release and it
seems rock solid, fonts are perfect, and its wayyyyy better than Netscape.
(imho)

>: Mozilla, Netscape or Opera are simply jokes,
BS, plain and simple.

>: anyway the best one is Opera ... not GPL).
No way.

> Best for what?  Looking at pages optimized for IE?  I need netscape at
> work b/c our purchasing is optimized for that.  Does this make IE a joke?
Yep ;-)

>:    But what's more, I am also switching from GNU/Linux
>: to Solaris my servers since Solaris is behaving by far better
>: than GNU/Linux is doing. Even for firewalling, I prefer
>: Checkpoint Firewall-1 to iptables (not to talk about
>: incomplete ipchains+ipmasqadm team).
Whats incomplete with ipchains or ipmasq admin ?

> Why didn't you fix the bugs in GNU/Linux?  You have source. Did you do bug
> reports?  How long have you been using this w/o understanding the basics of
> the philo--it's a work in progress, it gets better all the time, and we all
> make it better together?
>
>:    There was a time when I thought that a GPL GNU/Linux
>: would take the world. Now I think it is slowly dying not
>: only as desktop (if alive at all) but as a server.
Then your thoughts are leading you astray, linux has climbed from the dozen
or so news groups back in 1997, to 288 today:)

> It's not dying at all. This is a lie.  Win 9x is dead, though, IIRC.
Yeah this troll cant even supply 1/2 a good lie.

>:     If any response, please ... leave my mother apart ;-)
Why? superglue is cheap thesedays and you should be able to put her
back together for a few dollars ?

> Fred

Terry

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NOTICE: Internet Cleaning
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 03:40:36 -0500

Chad Everett wrote:

> *** Attention ***
>
> It's that time again!
>
> As many of you know, each year the Internet must be shut down
> for 24 hours in order to allow for cleaning.  The cleaning process,
> which eliminates dead email, inactive ftp and www sites, and
> objectionable material allows for a better-working and faster
> internet.
>
> This year, the cleaning process will take place from 12:01pm
> on Apr. 1st until 12:01pm on Apr 2nd.  During that 24-hour
> period, five powerful Internet-crawling robots situated around the
> world will search the Internet and delete any old and objectionable
> data that they find.
>
> In order to protect your valuable data from deletion, consider
> doing the following:
>
> 1.  Install a file in your home directory named ".no_robots" .
>
> 2.  Refrain from accessing the Internet during the scheduled
> cleaning times as collisions with the internet-crawling robots
> will hinder the cleaning process.
>
> 3. If you encounter one of the cleaning robots, stop typing and
> don't touch your mouse until the robot has moved on.
>
> Although this may prove to be an inconvenience to some Internet
> users, any inconveniences will be more than made up by the
> increased speed and efficiency of  the Internet once it has been
> cleared of electronic flotsam and jetsam.
>
> Thank you,
>
> The Internet Cleaning Center

Dear Mr. Everett...don't quit your day job.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: German armed forces ban MS software  <gloat!>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 01:02:16 -0800

Barry Manilow wrote:

> Chad Everett wrote:
> >
> > "Barry Manilow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > "T. Mx Devlin" wrote:
> > >
> > >    NT is
> > >
> > > I believe it has been shown over and over that NT is about 20% slower
> > > than Win 98, which was 20% slower to Win95.  WinME has been shown to
> > > be 10% slower than Win98.  Win2K is the slowest of all.  A friend has
> > > it on a 700 MHZ and it is so slow it is depressing.  I just got thru
> > > using NT on a 600 MHZ with 128 MB and it was quite slow.  Like a
> > > lumbering beast.
> >
> > This is the same kind of fuzzy thinking/talk that the Windows crowd is
> > always trying to pawn off on linux advocates.  slower how?  Is this just
> > your subjective experience?  We're supposed to take this as valid evidence
> > because something is slow on your "friend's 700 MHZ" machine.  Come on, just
> > the facts maam.
>
> All of the percentage figures were from PC Mag-type articles.
>
> The notion that Win2K is slow is widely held by most anyone who has
> bothered to use it.  I have seen the 700 MHZ box in question and
> watched as the dialog boxes slooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwly opened up.
> Why do I need a benchmark?  You think Win2K is good at multitasking?
> A friend has it on a 500 MHZ with 128 MB (or mebbe more). Open up
> anything bigger than Wordpad and the hard drive starts grinding away
> at the swap file.  You call that a good OS?  That is not very
> impressive at all.  I have watched this behavior too.  I don't need
> benchmarks.
> --

Haha.. quite true.  You don't need to be a rocket scientist when you see
it.
Maybe microsoft can claim that their O/S prevents carpal tunnel
syndrome.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 01:04:32 -0800

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said GreyCloud in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:53:39
> >"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> >>
> >> Said Chad Myers in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 28 Mar 2001 01:21:09

> >> Hmmm.  Seems to me I recall a very large settlement (judicial seal
> >> prevents us from knowing how large), and Microsoft's agreeing never to
> >> develop Java.  Woop.
> >>
> >> --
> >> T. Max Devlin
> >>   *** The best way to convince another is
> >>           to state your case moderately and
> >>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***
> >
> >MickeySoft paid Sun $20,000,000.
>
> I would expect, as typical, that this is a report of a speculation.  The
> figure is undisclosed, and is actually undiscoverable, AFAIK, unless you
> have an army of accountants and unlimited access to Microsoft's books
> (and you'd still need brass balls, because you'd *still* be
> speculating.)
>
> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is