From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is junk
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:06:58 -0500

Cihl wrote:
> =

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> > Why is Sound so important on LoseDOS????  How else would you be
> > alerted that you have Yet Another INSIPID Error-Message Window Button=

> > to click????
> =

> You need sound on Windows ME so you can listen to the little wizard
> all over the screen calling you a stupid asshole all day.
> =

> --
> =A8I live!=A8
> =A8I hunger!=A8
> =A8Run, coward!=A8
>                -- The Sinistar

So they finally figured out how to annoy the hell out of you constantly
instead of just when you are running office huh?  I wondered when that
bastard paper-clip was going to evolve into a full-time pain in the ass.

-- =

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corel Photo Paint for Linux...
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:08:58 -0500

Pedro Iglesias wrote:

> Is it related to wine as the rest of Corel Office 2000 ?

I heard all of Corel's "Linux" software was going to be based on Wine
(other than thier OS release itself of course).

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:17:01 -0500

Shock Boy wrote:
> And only a moron thinks that reformatting and reinstall of the OS is necessary to go
>from Fat32 to Fat16. You can convert a Fat32
> formatting to Fat16 without doing that. It was very straightforward, intuitive and
>easy to accomplish. Especially since I had very
> little experience on the PC side, having been almost exclusively Mac prior to
>getting a PC.

*SHUDDER*.  I remember going from FAT32 to FAT16 using Partition Magic.
There's a reason that Microsoft won't support going from FAT32 to
FAT16.  They will support going the other way, which produced just as
many problems for me, even using thier conversion utility.  Windows is
definitely an OS you want to re-install if you need to do something to
the file system.  It's way easier than watching the *interesting* side
effects of doing it the *easy* way.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Life in the Midwest - technolife that is.
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:25:30 -0500

OK, there's a bit of a debate going on at Slashdot about a Linux
conference that flopped.  There was zero advertising from it and it
appears as if the management of it was completely wacked out, but most
people posting seem to think that there is no way a tech conference can
succeed in the midwest.  They all feel that all technical people either
live in the coastal states, or that all technical people should go to
the coastal states to stay technical.  I say, that's a load of crap.

So, I've decided to get the reaction of COLA.  How many of you live in
the midwest?  Of those people, how many would be willing to go to a
large city in your area for a technical conference (especially one on
Linux)?

I'm out to prove that us midwesterners aren't as backasswords as they
(Slashdot crowd) are saying we are.  I say there are plenty of people in
the midwest that would attend this sort of conference, especially about
Linux.  Myself, and at least thirty people that I know would kill for a
chance to see a Linux conference up close, but can't afford to go or
take the time off to go to the conferences that are on either coast
(east or west).  But the coastal people are saying they wouldn't go to a
tech conference in the midwest so it is pointless to have a conference
there.  Apparently they really believe that we are all a bunch of hicks
and farmers.  What do you guys have to say on the matter?

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Oracle
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 30 Jun 2000 14:31:11 -0600

Aravind Sadagopan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Charlie Ebert wrote:
>
> > What did they say this would do to Microsoft...
> >
> > It would back the breakup up by 3-4 years because all this has to be
> > investigated now.
> >
> > I vote the Judge appoint an administrator for Microsoft until
> > the case if finished.
> >
> > Microsoft is going out of control.
> >
> > Charlie
>
> True.. With the C#  and .Net series coming, I see an absolute microsoft
> rule
> Somebody STOP IT

Well, nobody else is offering an upgrade for the mess that is C/C++.

What we need is 'D' -- not another version of C.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Life in the Midwest - technolife that is.
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 20:48:45 GMT

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:25:30 -0500, Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        Have you ever been to Kansas?

        Except for the odd city or two, it's one big farm.

>OK, there's a bit of a debate going on at Slashdot about a Linux
>conference that flopped.  There was zero advertising from it and it
>appears as if the management of it was completely wacked out, but most
>people posting seem to think that there is no way a tech conference can
>succeed in the midwest.  They all feel that all technical people either
>live in the coastal states, or that all technical people should go to
>the coastal states to stay technical.  I say, that's a load of crap.

        ...well, this is the information age. While migrations for the
        occasional conference or expo might be warranted, moving
        permantently to the madness that is San Jose or Manhattan is
        simply unwarranted.

>So, I've decided to get the reaction of COLA.  How many of you live in
>the midwest?  Of those people, how many would be willing to go to a

        ...well. Now there is the 'midwest' & then there is the 'midwest'.

        Kansas is only slightly more populous than New Mexico whereas
        Indiana, Michigan, Illinois and Ohio more resemble the 'frontier'
        areas of the eastern seaboard with larger cities in general and
        a large number of smaller towns and villages breaking up the
        monotonous scenery dominated by corn and wheat.

[deletia]

        Using Kansas to represent all of what gets lumped into the midwest
        is drawing a false dichotomy based on bad information.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 21:02:24 GMT

Pedro Iglesias wrote:

> Is it related to wine as the rest of Corel Office 2000 ?

It doesn't say in the requirements that it needs Wine.

--
¨I live!¨
¨I hunger!¨

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Linux, easy to use?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 21:04:14 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>XV is more or less obsolete as a GUI app. I haven't tried XMovie.

It gets installed as part of Mandrake 7.1

>>I'm not sure if XEmacs was another. I'll check tonight.
>
>No, Xemacs isn't another -- it's Motif based, and motif uses
>those bindings.

MOTIF based, it doesn't look it. When you open a file, it shows a text
style prompt. The menus hook into Emacs commands. The whole style of the
thing is still text based.

>>Not every application is based on Gnome or KDE, and that's the problem.
>
>Actually, the other toolkits are rapidly heading towards obsolescence.

Then why are they still being installed on Mandrake 7.1? Nostalgia?

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 21:06:50 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina) wrote in <8jijo1$gq8$1
@nnrp1.deja.com>:

>But select-with-left, paste-with-middle is true. And it does work in
>terminals. (Am I right that Ctrl-C does not work on a dos window?)
>
>So, at least for text selection/pasting (notice how I leave you a way
>out), X is more consistent than windows. Amazing!
>
>Any comments?
>
>PS: Ctrl-c/x/v works in all Gnome and KDE programs.

Granted drag and drop to a DOS prompt does zip. However... select with left
relies on the text still being selected. If it gets deselected, its gone.
CTRL-C on Windows goes into a buffer. That buffer can be pasted into a DOS
prompt, just not dropped.

What is missing in KDE is a menu with Copy/Paste on, and keyboard versions
of the same thing. I can't use CTRL-C/V in an edit field in KDE, though I
can use paste-with-middle. A little inconsistant I think.

Pete

------------------------------

Subject: Re: I hope you trolls are happy...
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 21:09:47 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Langenberger) wrote in <8jippq$opv$1
@laurel.tc.umn.edu>:

>First I kept hearing over and over that "Linux doesn't support wheeled
>mice!" ad nauseum.  So, just to prove what a load of crap that was,
>I went out and bought a nice Logitech PS2/USB one, plugged it in,
>adjusted a couple of config files and had no trouble since.

There are a whole bunch of people in the Mandrake user group trying to get
mouse wheel support to work. I tried the config files updates someone
suggested but it failed.

>Next came the "Linux doesn't support USB!" mantra.  Being the lazy
>bastard that I am, I never got around to adding the support.
>But I've finally snapped.  After a kernel recompile (still easier
>than compiling Perl) and a couple more config file updates, now
>that same mouse is on USB.

A kernel recompile. Ouch! Funny, my system recognises my ZIP 250 but it
don't work.

Pete

------------------------------

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm not ready. (Re: The "Furniture Scale")
Date: 30 Jun 2000 13:38:08 -0700

Laura Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> it was a disaster, LOL.  The stripping, etc. thing is something I do. I
> make my own curtains.  I build my own PCs and code my own HTML.  I also
> gave birth at home...3 times!  I obviously have a high tolerance (short
> memory) for pain. :)
>
> I want to dual-boot Win98 SE and Linux (Definite 7.0).  I'm still
> preparing for the setup ordeal. I tried with an earlier version of
> Redhat (5.2) and virtually none of my hardware was supported.  I still
> am finding that my hardware is too funky to allow for an easy install.
> Kinda hard to advocate for Linux when I can't even get to the point
> where I can try it!

If you build your own computers, why don't you forget the dual-boot
setup and dedicate one machine to installing Linux.  You won't have to
worry about making a mistake and deleting any important data you might
have in Windows and you won't have to worry about windows overwriting
your boot sector when you ultimately are forced to reinstall.

Why don't you give us a list of your hardware so that we can see what
is/isn't supported, and what you may need to do to get around these
problems?

--
Aaron J. Ginn                     Motorola SPS
Phone: (480) 814-4463             SemiCustom Solutions

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 30 Jun 2000 21:23:30 GMT

: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

:>XV is more or less obsolete as a GUI app. I haven't tried XMovie.

: It gets installed as part of Mandrake 7.1

Unfortunately, xv isn't quite obsolete yet.  It uses its own custom
widget set and is actually a shareware app (sortof), but is free
for noncommerical use.  The problem is, Imlib doesn't scale and so
every viewer built on it (like ee) explodes on semi large images.
"display" is a good, non Imlib viewer, but it lacks xv's schnauzer
which makes it tricky to browse with.  axv looked very promising,
but the author hasn't cleaned up any rough edges for the past two
months, which is less promising.

Despite its quirks (including lack of proper cut & paste, which
I hadn't noticed until now), xv remains one of the more solid
image viewers.

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:21:00 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:25:30 -0500, Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>         Have you ever been to Kansas?

Yes, I've visted there several times.  How's this for a kicker?  I live
in South Dakota.  It don't get any more barren than that.  But I still
think there are enough people around to be interested in a technical
conference.

>         Except for the odd city or two, it's one big farm.
>
> >OK, there's a bit of a debate going on at Slashdot about a Linux
> >conference that flopped.  There was zero advertising from it and it
> >appears as if the management of it was completely wacked out, but most
> >people posting seem to think that there is no way a tech conference can
> >succeed in the midwest.  They all feel that all technical people either
> >live in the coastal states, or that all technical people should go to
> >the coastal states to stay technical.  I say, that's a load of crap.
>
>         ...well, this is the information age. While migrations for the
>         occasional conference or expo might be warranted, moving
>         permantently to the madness that is San Jose or Manhattan is
>         simply unwarranted.

I don't think those of us that can't afford to take off for the coast a
couple of times a year for a conference should be excluded from any sort
of participation.  That's actually why I asked the question.

> >So, I've decided to get the reaction of COLA.  How many of you live in
> >the midwest?  Of those people, how many would be willing to go to a
>
>         ...well. Now there is the 'midwest' & then there is the 'midwest'.
>
>         Kansas is only slightly more populous than New Mexico whereas
>         Indiana, Michigan, Illinois and Ohio more resemble the 'frontier'
>         areas of the eastern seaboard with larger cities in general and
>         a large number of smaller towns and villages breaking up the
>         monotonous scenery dominated by corn and wheat.
>
> [deletia]
>
>         Using Kansas to represent all of what gets lumped into the midwest
>         is drawing a false dichotomy based on bad information.

Not really.  The coastal areas see the midwest as any state that doesn't
border on the ocean or isn't within one days driving distance from the
ocean.  Quite honestly, I would go to Kansas City if I thought there
would be a conference there.  People in the midwest are willing to
travel quite a ways for something they want usually.  But they aren't
going to travel to the coast every time they want something cool.
Having a tech conference in the midwest is not the reason this was a
disaster IMO.  I say it was because no one knew it was happening.

I realize that living in the midwest gives me a slanted perspective on
whether the midwest should be ignored or not, but saying you can't use a
midwestern state to describe the midwest doesn't really answer the
question.  So, do you think that the midwest should be ignored?  I think
that would be stupid, but apparently my opinion doesn't mean shit,
because the rest of the world certainly seems to think the midwest
doesn't exist.  I guess I'm getting fired up about somthing I have no
control over, but I'm a little tired of the "midwest sucks, let it rot
in peace" mentality I've put up with since childhood.  If I wanted to
see a good concert growing up, I was always told, "Go to California or
New York if you want to see a good concert."  Now, as an adult, I am
told "Go to California or New York if you want to see a tech
conference."  Are these really the only places in the U.S. that matter
to geeks?  I can't be the only one living here (in the midwest).  Maybe
I am.  I guess I haven't seen too many system administrators that
actually know anything about computers around here.  Hmmm, maybe I'm
wrong.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:21:45 -0500

Cihl wrote:
> =

> Pedro Iglesias wrote:
> >
> > Is it related to wine as the rest of Corel Office 2000 ?
> =

> It doesn't say in the requirements that it needs Wine.
> =

> --
> =A8I live!=A8
> =A8I hunger!=A8
> =A8Run, coward!=A8
>                -- The Sinistar

No, but like WPO2000 it uses Wine internally to accomplish it's job.

-- =

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The MEDIA this year!
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:39:12 -0700

Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I read that it even
> describes, with spoken voice, the function of the 'Next'-button in
> great detail.

I guess they designed that for the people who would can not locate the ANY
key when told to hit any key, or those that REALLY hit any key.

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 30 Jun 2000 21:27:20 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

: A kernel recompile. Ouch! Funny, my system recognises my ZIP 250 but it
: don't work.

Ouch?  Not really.  Most of the process is either automated or just
a "wish list" of desired features.  I just happened to pick USB
as an option.  Most distributions come with USB standard nowadays.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 21:46:27 GMT

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:21:00 -0500, Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:25:30 -0500, Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[deletia]

>>         Kansas is only slightly more populous than New Mexico whereas
>>         Indiana, Michigan, Illinois and Ohio more resemble the 'frontier'
>>         areas of the eastern seaboard with larger cities in general and
>>         a large number of smaller towns and villages breaking up the
>>         monotonous scenery dominated by corn and wheat.
>>
>> [deletia]
>>
>>         Using Kansas to represent all of what gets lumped into the midwest
>>         is drawing a false dichotomy based on bad information.
>>

>Not really.  The coastal areas see the midwest as any state that doesn't
>border on the ocean or isn't within one days driving distance from the

        That's precisely why those of us that live or have lived in
        other areas of the country should be more pedantic.

>ocean.  Quite honestly, I would go to Kansas City if I thought there
>would be a conference there.  People in the midwest are willing to
>travel quite a ways for something they want usually.  But they aren't
>going to travel to the coast every time they want something cool.
>Having a tech conference in the midwest is not the reason this was a
>disaster IMO.  I say it was because no one knew it was happening.

        It doesn't hurt Comdex. One is held in the Midwest and the
        other is held in the 'big trailer court in the desert'. That
        just goes to show that neither the Midwest or the Southwest
        are homogeneous.

>I realize that living in the midwest gives me a slanted perspective on
>whether the midwest should be ignored or not, but saying you can't use a
>midwestern state to describe the midwest doesn't really answer the
>question.  So, do you think that the midwest should be ignored?  I think

        Sure it does. All of the midwest is not equal. These sorts of
        discussions would make remarkably more sense with more accurately
        defined regions or if they were just framed city by city.

[deletia]

        Framing the question in such wide terms only serves to
        perpetuate ignorance and misunderstanding.

                                                               / | \

From: "Marc Schlensog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C# is a copy of java
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 00:05:03 +0200