  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) (Roberto Alsina)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: XP = eXPerimental
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:24:41 GMT

Said Mark Watson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Tue, 03 Apr 2001 19:55:57
>Hey 2-2,
>
>I mosly agree with your rant.  I tend to switch use between Linux
>(getting better, so much faster!) and Windows 2000 (a big
>improvement over NT, to be sure!).

I can't disagree with that, certainly.

>I question how fast corporate IT types will pick up XP (adoption
>of W2000 has been very slow, I think).

I see the adoption of W2K as being resisted with every means at the
market's disposal.  It is amazing, really, how vehement and sever the
rejection of the product has been.  The ONLY people who think it is wise
to invest in W2K (or any monopoly crapware, I guess, though people are
still somewhat bully on Windows and Win32) ARE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE
SELLING IT.  NOBODY who doesn't make money on it would suggest it was a
great product (though many will readily admit it is an improvement over
NT).

It still gets out there, of course.  Customer desires have absolutely
nothing to do with the production of monopoly crapware, other than as a
smoke screen for predatory development.  And they do push it mighty
hard.  Mighty hard.  And the harder they have to push, the more obvious
it is that they shouldn't have to push at all, if the product weren't
crap.  The sheer power of the forces involved seems staggering; I
sometimes see the individual user as a hapless mouse caught between an
irresistible force and an immovable object.

And the harder they push, the more obvious it becomes how hard they have
to push.  Judging from the "supply curve" for Windows over the years, XP
isn't going *anywhere*.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:24:42 GMT

Said J.T. Wenting in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 4 Apr 2001 15:01:00
>"2 + 2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9ad0qd$o6q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> XP = eXPerimental
>>
>thought it meant ExPert? Experimental systems are of course usually handled
>by experts, which might be the origin of people thinking XP means
>experimental...

Then again, it might be why people think XP means expert, because it
actually does mean experimental.  At least in terms of aircraft
designations.  In software I suppose it doesn't "mean" anything.

>> It integrates the NT kernal.
>>
>Nope, the Win2K kernel, which is a complete rewrite.

Bah!  We only have Microsoft's claim to that, and the fact that its
buggy as hell provides only limited corroboration.

>> But it also integrates a part of .NET.
>>
>Yah, why else create a technology if you're not going to use it?

Because your customer's want to use it is the reason everyone else does,
though obviously this doesn't apply in Microsoft's case.

>> At least in the hardware abstraction layer, they are starting with a JIT
>> compiler, instead of a pure emulated VM.
>>
>Not JIT, of course. JIT is platform dependent in that it works only for Java
>applications, where .NET will be language independent...
   [...]

Blah, blah, blah.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:24:43 GMT

Said Ayende Rahien in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 4 Apr 2001 23:03:34
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:6WLy6.785$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> | thought it meant ExPert?
>>

>> Naw...It means eXtra Profit...
>
>Next version of Windows isn't going to be called Windows XP, that was a
>typo, it's going to be called Windows PR.

<*chuckle*>

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:24:44 GMT

Said Nik Simpson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 4 Apr 2001 19:47:45
-0400;

>"J.T. Wenting" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "2 + 2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:9ad0qd$o6q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > XP = eXPerimental
>> >
>> thought it meant ExPert? Experimental systems are of course usually
>handled
>> by experts, which might be the origin of people thinking XP means
>> experimental...
>>
>> > It integrates the NT kernal.
>> >
>> Nope, the Win2K kernel, which is a complete rewrite.
>>
>> > But it also integrates a part of .NET.
>> >
>> Yah, why else create a technology if you're not going to use it?
>>
>> > At least in the hardware abstraction layer, they are starting with a JIT
>> > compiler, instead of a pure emulated VM.
>> >
>> Not JIT, of course. JIT is platform dependent in that it works only for
>Java
>> applications, where .NET will be language independent...
>
>And even if such technology were included it would not be in the HAL, a
>claim that it is in the HAL indicates either the person doesn't know what
>they are talking about or is deliberately trolling, or both.

Or doesn't see a point in quibbling about the technical niceties, but is
merely using whatever interpretation of them seems poetic in pointing
out that, regardless of acronyms, it is monopoly crapware, squared.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:24:45 GMT

Said Matthew Gardiner in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 5 Apr 2001
>No, to Microsoft they are an "Agressive Competitor".

And they compete because they own intellectual property, and Microsoft
wants it, and they aggressively put their intellectual property on
Microsoft's server, so Microsoft is allowed to take the intellectual
property, is that it?

Kind of like stealing, isn't it?  Whether Microsoft calls them
"aggressive competitor" or "hapless victim" is really unimportant.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:24:47 GMT

Said Craig Kelley in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 05 Apr 2001 09:38:42
>"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Oh, so the Rep's were the only ones honest about their dealings?
>
>Of course not, but at least republicans go after Microsoft with the
>intent of restoring a free market, and not with some loony class-war
>redistribution of wealth fanaticism.

Liberals have no class-war issues; that's just the straw-man of the
conservatives.  Communists have class-war issues.  Liberals are not
watered-down communists.  That is, again, just the straw-man of the
conservatives.  They have a lot of them.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:24:46 GMT

Said Matthew Gardiner in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 5 Apr 2001
10:29:09 +1200;
>Hello? How come their (Republicans) whole campaign centred around ensuring
>Microsoft got off with a slap on the wrist? Also, what about the incredibly
>generous bribe, sorry, "Donation" to ensure that "the DOJ doesn't ruin the
>tech sector", aka, split Microsoft up.

"Their (Republicans) whole campaign" scarecly mentioned a word about the
MS case, from my recollections.  It was hardly brought up at all even by
the press, except for routine mentions whenever it seemed appropriate
indicating that most people assumed that Bush would drop the case owing
to the general but flawed consensus that Republicans are pro-business.
As for contributions, Microsoft was one of the 'egalitarian spenders',
also known as "cover your ass idealists".  They gave about $400,000 to
both the Republican *and* the Democratic national conventions.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:24:48 GMT

Said JS PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 4 Apr 2001 23:42:53 -0400;

>"chrisv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >And the fact remains. Microsoft has money, I don't. Waaaaaa!!! mommy,
>> >waaaahhhhh! Billy's gonna take all my stuff if I use his free mail
>service
>> >waaaaaaa!!!
>>
>> You're just a retarded little child, aren't you?
>
>Yeah, if you idiots could only stand back and see how fucking rediculous you
>look to someone NOT deathly afraid and jealous of MS.

Guffaw.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:24:49 GMT

Said JS PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 5 Apr 2001 00:11:21 -0400;

>"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9ag82h$h46$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Hmm, so AT&T and the Oil Corp Rockafella owned were inovators too by the
>way
>> you recall history.
>>
>> In what way has Microsoft benefited the consumer?  Hypothetically
>speaking,
>> if Microsoft never existed, about the only thing that probably never would
>> have existed, that was a semi-useful product, AmigaBASIC. PC's would never
>> would have had the great impact in home computing as it has now.  All that
>> would have happened would have been that Amiga and Amstrad (both are so
>> similar, its not funny) would have taken their place.  In 1984-1985, the
>> AmigaWorkbench was more stable than what Microsoft was producing, coloured
>> graphics, sound and lots of other features.  Companies such as Wordperfect
>> had actually created software for the Amiga, hence, it would have been
>> totally viable for the Amiga to enter both the home and business market.
>So
>> this bullshit that it being spread that we should kiss Microsofts ass is
>> based on nothing less than naivity at best.
>
>Could'a, would'a, should'a.

Guffaw.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:24:50 GMT

Said JS PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 5 Apr 2001 01:00:17 -0400;

>"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9agrjg$185$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> That was a hypothetic senario I put accross, hence the cheap remark
>> "Could'a, would'a, should'a" has absolutely no relevance to this
>discussion.
>
>Just as your hypothetical scenario has no relevance. Replacing the success
>of MS for any other name wouldn't have changed much. There would still be
>jealousy and accusations against the accepted OS standard, whatever that
>might be.

It's a wonder you're smart enough to breath, dude.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:24:51 GMT

Said Matthew Gardiner in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 5 Apr 2001
>LOL
>
>Matthew Gardiner
>
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> If ever there were a poster-child for top-posting:

    [...followed by 200 lines of original, unsnipped, top-posted,
uncommented text...]

Look, putz.  It wasn't meant to make you laugh.  It was meant to point
out that you're embarrassing yourself by being unable to handle the
relatively simple task of following Usenet etiquette.

I try to be a bit discrete.  Too many people get insulted too easily
anyway.  But I wanted to make sure you didn't entirely miss the point.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:24:52 GMT

Said Chad Myers in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 05 Apr 2001 03:07:43
>"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:v7Ry6.28253$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "Charles Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > But they seem to retain the clause about being able to change terms at
>> > any time. So, if you are a business, you have to have a lawyer check the
>> > terms every few minutes and before sending any mail.
>>
>> And this is different from every other licensing agreement how?
>
>In fact, looky at what we have here...
>
>http://www.redhat.com/network/service/terms.html
>
>"12. MISCELLANEOUS
>This Agreement, the Privacy Policy, and Red Hat's other user policies
>posted on Red Hat's Web site constitute the entire agreement between
>a User and Red Hat with respect to your use of the Services. Red Hat
>may revise, amend, or modify this Agreement and any other user policies
>and agreements, at any time and in any manner. Notice of any revision,
>amendment, or modification will be posted on Red Hat's Web site
>(http://www.redhat.com) and/or on User's start pages and/or by email
>and/or in our various publications and mailings to Users."
>
>Basically, they can change the entire terms of the agreement and merely
>update that web page and that's all they're obligated to do.
>
>I guess you better have you lawyer check that site every night.

Why?  The only license you agree to is the one at the time you got the
software.  Don't you *ever* think anything through?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:24:52 GMT

Said Matthew Gardiner in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 5 Apr 2001
>So, say if I was a programmer, and I was working from home.  [...]

Avoid hotmail like the plague, and make sure that nobody you communicate
with communicates with anyone who is on hotmail.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:24:53 GMT

Said JS PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 5 Apr 2001 01:08:05 -0400;
>"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9agsmc$1uk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Why even write software for Windows? I can promise you that 2 years after
>> your product has become popular, Microsoft will steal the idea, make its
>own
>> version then "bundle" it with Windows.
>>
>> Matthew Gardiner
>
>Yeah, that's why you get SO MUCH extra software with windows. [...]

Guffaw.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:24:54 GMT

Said JS PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 5 Apr 2001 02:15:50 -0400;
>"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9agvdk$3go$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Mediaplayer is one example.  At the beginning it was a humble little
>player,
>> just played ya basic filetypes, and the streaming media was left to Real
>> Media, heck, Microsoft even included the Real Media plugin with one of the
>> versions of IE (I think it was IE 4).  Then Microsoft went, ooo, that
>> technology is getting popular, maybe we should get in on the action.  Of
>> course they couldn't use the Real Media Codec, so instead, the created
>their
>> own format and extended the mediaplayer. Since it was already included
>with
>> Windows, hey, most of the work was done.  Since they were in the position
>of
>> having a monopoly in the OS market, they could use the profits of
>subsidise
>> the cost of giving away the player and server for free.
>
>I don't ever remember paying for Real Player. [...]

Guffaw.

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:26:45 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis

> Depositing a somebody else's check to me, which later bounced,
> causing MY bank balance to be off is a character flaw.

This is one of those extremely rare moments when you are correct.  100% spot
on.  It is quite refreshing to see you make such a definitive and honest
statement of fact.  You should try to do this more often.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NT multitasking: some humiliating defeats! :)
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:26:49 GMT

Said GreyCloud in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 05 Apr 2001 03:40:29
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>
>> Said GreyCloud in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 04 Apr 2001 03:00:58
>>    [...]
>> >Any computer that has a multi-tasking O/S can run over 255 programs...
>>
>> In theory or in reliable practice?  Any OS but Windows, maybe.  Monopoly
>> crapware, I'm not so sure about.
>>

>In reliable practice...  Back around 1965 a navy facility had a large
>computer system. [...]

'In this here example one did,' is hardly what I call "in reliable
practice", regardless of how unlikely the one that did seems to be.  I
mean can you guarantee that any and every computer (functioning
hardware) running Windows will reliably run over 255 programs ever time
you attempt it without fail?  Then you're talking "in theory".

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 5 Apr 2001 18:21:50 -0500

Hey bozo, it wasn't my idea.  Learn to read.  I posted an article
by Mr. Mead, in which he said he had already done this on
the moongroup servers and was encouraging others to read
the license and come to their own decision:

By Chuck Mead on Monday April 02 2001 @ 11:55PM EDT
http://www.moongroup.com/stories.php?story=01/04/02/0156291

Microsoft should be feared and despised!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 5 Apr 2001 23:32:15 GMT

On Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:24:14 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said Roberto Alsina in alt.destroy.microsoft on 5 Apr 2001 14:33:05 GMT;
>>Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>"Except when you feel it's right" isn't in the Bible.
>>
>>No kidding? ;-)
>>
>>> The correct quote is "tho shalt not commit murder".
>>
>>Well, I am working back from the spanish version, which is simply
>>"No matarás".
>>
>>We would have to go to the original to decide which one is closer,
>>wouldn't we?
>
>Well, the Catholics say that its "thou shalt not kill".  The "commit
>murder" phrasing is *definitely* revisionist.
>
>>> And are you saying you wouldn't move to the
>>>defense of a friend who was attacked?
>>
>>I am not a christian, so I am not morally bound by commandments.
>>I would defend a friend. However, I would not kill a burglar. I would
>>not kill a trespasser, unless he tried to kill me. I would not kill
>>with a machinegun someone who was beating my friend with his fists.
>>
>>And if I killed someone, I would hate myself for it.
>
>There comes a point, I think, where you are simply telling yourself this
>in order to justify your moral perspective.  You would like to think you
>would "hate yourself" if you killed someone.  Whether you would or not
>remains to be seen, and so your contention becomes an unfalsifiable
>claim, unless you actually kill someone to find out. (I'm not
>recommending any moralistic experiments here, but I hope you'll see my
>point.)

Ok, I _should_ hate myself for that.

>But you should be aware, Roberto, not that I don't admire your
>sentiments and believe them to be Right, your belief is quite possibly
>just self-delusion.  Seems odd, doesn't it, since whether it is or is
>not is meaningless, unless you kill someone?  A rather effective
>mechanism, this morality thing, eh?

Actually, I think there is a moral difference between those
who believe killing is wrong and those who just don't dare
killing. That's in the bible, too, if you are into that.

--
Roberto Alsina