Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 21:46:55 -0500
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job?

"Colin R. Day" wrote:

> Hey, is anyone asking you to teach MS Office? The person in charge
> of the business department (not my department) wants me to teach
> an introductory computer class (read: MS Office). To be fair, he does
> need another section, but I already have more classes than I can teach.

Not yet.  I suppose I wouldn't mind teaching something like that.  BUT,
I'd have to take time away from my other projects to learn something
proprietary like Office, which I'd hate, no doubt.

But the biggest #1 reason I'd hate teaching Office is that I don't
really get into word processors. :-(  I try to use strictly LaTeX and
HTML for all my documents.  Also, I'm kind of concerned, because I don't
have any MS software installed on my machine.  It's Microsoft-free, you
see!  Well, that doesn't bother me so much, but I'd hate to teach Office
mainly because I don't feel spiritually "in tune" with it.  In order to
generate good vibes, I'd have to be teaching software that I use on a
regular basis.  Therefore, using any MS products on the job sort of
messes up my anti-MS vibes, you see.  You have to be spiritually in tune
with the software you use.

Although I use FreeBSD exclusively on my machines at home, I still feel
some of that "karmic coupling" between me and Linux on the job.  So, in
order to maximize my "in tuneness", I feel I MUST use some unix variant
on the job.  In fact, that was the source of this rant...  I'm getting
rubbed the wrong way by the jobs that require the use of MS software.
I'm afraid to take those jobs, because my vibes would be all screwed up.

When I'm running FreeBSD, I feel like I am one, spiritually, with the
kernel.  You must be in tune with the software you use!  You must be in
tune with the kernel.  If not, bad things can happen.  (I think I owe
Ghandi, Timothy Leary, or somebody else $1 for this.)

Think Kernighan, Ritchie, or Thompson worry about vibes?  I wonder if
any of these 3 have to use Windows software, and what they think?
Again, it's all about the vibes. :-|

Now repeat after me: Ohhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm!

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: Could someone explain C++ phobia in Linux?
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 20:49:00 -0600

"pete@nospam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> you sure have a weird taste for what is fun.
>
> c++ is one of the most convoluted, hard to use, easy to make bugs in,
> complex, and unsafe language there are.

That's not true at all.  Assembly is far more bug prone, although the
discipline necessary to code in assembly makes it less likely that you'll
make an error.

> if you love to spend all your nights in the debugger, then I see
> why you think c++ is fun.

I spend almost no time in the debugger.

> no wonder Java, in only 5 years, have now more programmers using it
> than C++ (which has been around for about 15 years now). Programmers
> in Java are more productive, and produce more robust applications.

Where do you get these statistics?  Neither the recruiters that call me, nor
the ads in the newspaper back this up.  I see only 5 out of hundreds of C++
jobs openings.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft = Ingsoc? They're clearly using some of the same tactics!
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 20:51:37 -0600

"Kenny Pearce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Unlikely that Microsoft would intentionally attempt to phase out features
> they didn't wish to support? Anything Microsoft can't control is
considered
> to be their "competition". They even try to control HTML (by not complying
> w/ w3c standards)

Then what's Netscapes excuse?  It's hard to comply with standards because
they're moving targets.

> and the internet (by releasing a version of windows which
> has been reprogrammed to become a travesty of unix)!

Uhh... What the hell are you talking about?

> Microsoft's tactics
> make it obvious that it is their goal to destroy any information they
cannot
> control.

Right.  Sure.  Have you considered this Microsoft free oceanfront property I
have in Montana?

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 02:57:07 GMT

Curtis wrote:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote...
> >
> > Uh, you can get a lot of this functionality in Windozzzzzzz using the
> > shortcuts.
>
> No, you can't.
>
> Example:
>
> If I have 5 HTML documents, I can't associate each to be opened with a
> different editor using shortcuts.

Sure you can.  Make a short cut for each, then manually edit the name of
the program that opens them.  You can add command-line arguments, too, if
you want.  I do it all the time.

> > It is your choice.
>
> Thanks for that. Some would think otherwise.

Well, I would still try to convince you about Linux vs. Windozzzzzzzz,
but all it would get us at best is another Linux user if I succeeded.
And it would probably be a lot of work on my part!  Even though
even Windozzzzzzzz 2000 bugs me (come on!  128 Mb just to use the
thing in a normal Office environment, gimme a frikkin' break!), it
does mark significant progress over Windozzzzzzz NT.  Even if the
bug count has blipped upward.

Chris

--
Linux rocks

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:05:37 +0000
From: Jacques Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux=Stink*Stank*Stunk

Sir (aka Claire Lynn -- hello sweet tart!) wrote:

[snip]

I fully agree Claire, sweet twat. I once installed Caldera
and the bloody thing had me play Tetris for a full
TWENTY MINUTES! I hate playing Tetris! It taxes my
grey cells! I prefer  play wi' de paper clip. Linux
sux all right, yeah, right on, Twatty Bird.

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Bug-time.... where is NT?
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:06:29 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> >
> > Really, it is pretty tricky to get software to not leak,
> > and Microsoft has as much trouble as anyone else.
>                     ^^^^^^^
>
> you misspelled "more"
>
> Can you say "spaghetti code" ????

You really must make your signature more concise, it's
longer than St. Paul's letter to the Corinthians (who
probably thought that St. Paul was the new gold vendor
down the street).

Anyway, I've never had a good feeling about Microsoft
code in general.  It's often ugly, and the APIs
take wayyyyyyyyyyyy too many parameters, including
parameters that are pointers to structures or are
"handles".  Definite spaghetti no matter how careful
the MS programmer is.

It arises from the Microsoft development philosophy,
as explicated by the former Visual C++ team leader,
Jim McCarthy.  <paraphrase>  When you commit to
develop using Microsoft tools, you commit to a way
of life.  The one thing we will do is change, and
change rapidly.  This forces everyone to work hard
to keep up, and gives us an advantage. </paraphrase>

Of course, this attitude is merely a formalized
version of how things work in the real world.
The price we pay is buggy code.... spaghetti code.

Hell, I've written spaghetti code many a time, because
I knew I would not be given the time to "do it right".
I've found that growing an API works quite well for
awhile.  Ultimately, it grows beyond my easy grasp,
and new projects take longer.  At some point it is
time to throw it out and regrow from a stronger position.

Microsoft does this very well.  Again, though, the
transition is always marked by an efflorescence of
bugs.

Chris

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:34:16 GMT

mark wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >> Netmeeting phones home as well.  It's kind of unsurprising that Windows is
> >> so insecure - it needs to be in order to enable all these bits of soft-
> >> ware to phone back to Microsoft Headquarters so they can see what you're
> >> doing, or where you are, or who you are, or, well, what, exactly?
> >>
> >> Incidentally, last time I mentioned this someone responded very fast to
> >> say that you could disable this behaviour, but I've not been able to
> >> see how.  Maybe I need that MCSE :)
> >
> >And in today's MCSE lesson...  how to make the fucking thing work the way
> >you want.
> >
> >Tomorrow:  How to stop your computers reporting your hard drive
> >contents and bank details to Microsoft.
>
> :-)

What I think would be really amusing is to prove where the operating system sends
banking information to Microsoft.  Netmeeting sends your conversation through
Microsoft servers only if you configure it to.  Just like AIM and ICQ et. al.  If
you use your own server then, of course, it does not.  The where an who you are
data extends to geographic data for best routing and your handle and fullname if
you provided it.  Again much like the IMs.  I don't hear anything about this
behavior in the IMs yet when it's MS the standards and reactions are much
different.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 14:51:00 +1100
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The real question about Claire Lynn

Ouch. You just managed to burn them BOTH! :)

Nice going!

Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Skully1900)
Date: 25 Nov 2000 03:54:28 GMT
Subject: Linux is crap

I got sucked in and bought Linux and it sucks. It installed ok with the
exception of my scanner, camera,printer and soundbored but it still sucks. I
don't see what the big deal is this this program thant makes my pc a piece of
junk.. Efne DOS is beetter than this Linux trash.

whopper

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Uptime -- where is NT?
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:36:58 GMT

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > No, I just looked, and the *AVERAGE* (as I originally said) is still 35
> > days.
>
> You're right.  I funked up!
>
> > > Also, if you look at the table 2 below the curve, you'll see a change
in
> > IP
> > > address around Oct 22.
> >
> > Yeah, looks like they switched providers.  Still, the point stands.
There
> > are lots of reasons to reboot your server, most of them do not involve
> > crashes.
>
> Then it sounds like all this brouhaha about uptime is a wasteoftime.

Hitler!

The thread...she is done.

--
Tom Wilson
We were better off with typewriters and adding machines...

------------------------------

From: "Dan Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Not worth the hassle.....
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 07:42:19 +0800

> Same here. Linux is definitely for hackers at this point, but it's
> rapidly moving towards a viable end-user platform. My main motivation
> for jumping the gun is that I want to A) become a better hacker and
> learn my way around UNIX/Linux so that I can B) help contribute to the
> ongoing effort to make all software -- including OSes -- free. I am very
> much a supporter of the end-user (being one myself) and hope to
> eventually contribute significantly in the area of useability and
> open-standards advocacy. To this end I need to get in the trenches and
> start hacking. HOWEVER for the end-user (and I hope this isn't taken as
> a derogatory term) with no interest in hacking and some interest in
> being productive, I would say Linux is not quite there yet. Come back in
> 2002.

no shit. I've got all the qualifications for Missionary of Free Software.  In my
default mode I nag people more about Free Software than a couple of Mormons on
bicycles [that we see often here in Taiwan] hunting for converts.

However, I just feel a little uneasy when I start my arguments knowing that back
at home I still haven't managed to um, actually get it working, well, I did,
momentarily actually.[Mandrake 7.2]
--
www.geocities.com/jidanni E-mail: restore ".com."  ???
Tel:+886-4-5854780; starting in year 2001: +886-4-25854780

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:52:17 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8vlnrb$4tvic$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:w_rT5.14$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> Talking about the registery.
>
> >. I think MS could have done
> > a far better job by taking the dedicated partition approach. It'd be a
lot
> > safer kept from the OS's file system.
>
> You are probably correct, the problem is that it's *much* more convenient
> and easier to handle files than partitions.

No doubt. But sometimes easy and convenient has to be tossed in favor of
stable and robust. I honestly think the dedicated approach for swap and
registry would have eliminated a large part of WinWhatever's difficulties.

BTW, Outlook Express has crashed twice this evening and I'm trying as hard
as I can to keep off-color vernacular out of my MS related posts. <g>

Tom Wilson
A Computer Programmer who wishes he'd chosen another vocation.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:53:07 GMT

"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <8vlnrb$4tvic$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> >"Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:w_rT5.14$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> >Talking about the registery.
> >
> >>. I think MS could have done
> >> a far better job by taking the dedicated partition approach. It'd be a
lot
> >> safer kept from the OS's file system.
> >
> >You are probably correct, the problem is that it's *much* more convenient
> >and easier to handle files than partitions.
> >

> Convenient for whom?

The Windows development team, of course.

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:56:35 GMT

Frog wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 03:51:19 GMT , Mike Byrns
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote
> >Frog wrote:
> >> Yes, MSVCRT.DLL is so much more descriptive and unambiguous.
> >
> >That's a filename.  There is a description as well.  All properly written
> >32-bit Windows DLLs have additional information like the File Version,
> >Description, Publisher, Language, Original Filename (useful if it gets
> >renamed
> >:-), the Product Name it's part of and that Product's Version.  This info
> >alone can be used to easily ID almost any PE executable.
>
> That's true, but it doesn't change what gets displayed when you get an
> error message; it still shows the file name. Tracking down what the file's
> supposed to do and/or why it didn't do what it was supposed to still
> requires a level of technical sophistication that's beyond the reach of
> many users, who only see the name of the DLL.

What error message are you referring to?  xxx.exe caused an error in module
yyy.dll at 000000000:00000000?

At least you know what program was running that crapped out and where -- the
rest is for product support services.  To find out who to call do start:find
xxx.exe and get properties like i said.  Most Windows users I know can do
that.

> >> And of
> >> course, products from Microsoft *always* keep the most current DLL, so
> >> you
> >> *never* have software that relies on entry points that don't exist any
> >> more.
> >
> >This has been hashed about so many times that it's really lost any
> >semblance
> >of humor.  Properly written application installers do not replace newer
> >versions of shared components with older versions.  So far I've not seen
> >anyone produce a relevant Microsoft application that blindly installs
> >older
> >shared components.  That's typically the realm of your AOLs and
> >Netscape's and
> >such.  That's OK though.  They can keep on performing the equivalent of
> >system
> >sabotage and Windows will replace their mess right along behind them.
>
> My memory of this is hazy, but I seem to recall that installing the SMS
> 1.2 administrator package onto an WinNT machine that had been upgraded
> with service packs caused things to go south. (This is from back when SMS
> 1.2 was the bleeding edge and SP3 was standard.) Re-applying the service
> pack made the problem go away, but it manifested itself in some way that
> wasn't immediately identifiable. We kind of shrugged our shoulders and
> moved along.

Are you sure the system requirements for SMS1.2 did not include SP4?  Go south
in what way?  And reapplying the SP made it go away in such a way except for
some minor glitch you can't even remember?  This sounds like a really
desperate straw grab to me :-)

> Your post also suggests that the best way to maintain a pristine operating
> environment is either a monolithic M$ installation or only using software
> that uses the Microsoft installation environment.

Not at all.  Make sure you install software whose installer routine does not
replace newer files.  That's all.

> For all practical
> purposes, this is a non-starter. Organizations may have specific
> requirements for software like WordPerfect instead of Word, or Netscape
> instead of IE as a browser. The answer is either "pound sand, you'll take
> what we give you" or "the stuff you install may well break your system."

If I downgrade libs in any os that supports shared libs it's likely to cause
problems.  You must bring these compatibility issues to the attention of the
vendor that has them.  Indicate a solution is needed and that you find their
lazy programming UNACCEPTABLE.  Many have alternate installation methods that
work just fine.  Then again you can always just install the latest service
pack over after installing the broken app.

> Saying, "gee, that's a vendor issue, take it up with them" doesn't cut it,
> either; the fact that the vendor's installer is sub-optimal *with respect
> to the Microsoft operating system* won't change the opinions of many
> policy-makers.

Why not when their OS policy is Microsoft.  An IT organization that favors
apps to core OS stability needs some re-alignment.

> Most major implementation decisions in my organization are made by a
> committee of vice presidents, with the guidance of the IT people.

Guidance?  Please define that term as it applies to your organization :-)

> The fact
> that installation and configuration of the software initially is a
> headache is generally regarded as a minor inconvenience at most.

Perhaps TCO could be lowered by increased communication with the problem
vendors.  In my experience responsiveness from vendors far outweighs minor
feature benefits from the competing non-responsive vendor.  It's all about who
wants your business.

> We still
> spend a huge chunk of time setting up and testing things that are
> theoretically supposed to work together and often don't -- at least
> without tweaking.

I'd spend less time theorizing and more time sandbox testing the installers.
When you find them breaking things that's the time to call.  Not when your
standard environment is so badly polluted by careless ISV installers.  Or then
again you could always go to Windows 2000.  Since we have done so and rebuilt
our standard load, we immediately found the broken apps and got resolution
from some of their publishers -- heh, and quickly replaced those that gave us
attitude :-)

> Of course, if we edit the registry, M$ won't support
> it...

You wouldn't have to if you'd taken the problem up with the cause.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 05:02:12 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8vmmm0$53o3k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <8vlnrb$4tvic$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien
wrote:

> > >"Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:w_rT5.14$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > >Talking about the registery.

> lot
> > >
> > >You are probably correct, the problem is that it's *much* more
convenient
> > >and easier to handle files than partitions.
> > >

> > Convenient for whom?
>
> Practically everybody.
> Tools to handle files are easier to write than for partitions.
> And it's easier to do backup from/to files.

>From the application programmer's end, it wouldn't matter since all registry
related calls are API-based. Import and export functions would easily solve
the backup problem. The only group that would have the added pain in the
gluteal area would be the Windows Dev Team. And, frankly, they deserve it.

--
Tom Wilson
A Computer Programmer who wishes he'd chosen another vocation.
Especially where this night is considered...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:09:12 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is crap

so don't use it, end of story. Simple isn't it?
btw, learn to spell

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 05:04:45 GMT

Les Mikesell wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 07:03:36 GMT, Mike Byrns
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > >Bullshit Les.  Show some proof.  My default install of Pro didn't even
> > >have
> > >NetBIOS over TCP enabled so the port was rejecting connections.  When I
> > >uninstalled the Workstation service it was stealthed.  I've NMAPed my
> > >box and
> > >nothing is open that I don't want and that's OUT OF THE BOX.  BTW I'm
> > >not "blocking" anything.  Windows does not respond when the services are
> > >not installed on the interface.  Never has.
> >
> > I just went through this EXACT scenario installing SuSE 6.4 as well as
> > Win2k in default installs.
> >
> > With SuSE 6.4 I took the "Almost Everything" option because as a
> > newbie, I don't want to miss experiencing Linux to it's fullest. With
> > Win2k I did a standard default install.
>
> Try a RedHat 6.2 or up 'workstation' install if you want the
> machine not to run any services.  Normally I want to use the
> computer so I want services enabled.  However, that has
> nothing to do with the earlier posting about Microsoft arbitrarily
> moving the ports for file sharing without telling anyone.  Quick
> now, which router ports do you block to keep netbios-over-tcp
> from leaking out?

You block everything you don't know you need.  I'm sure glad you don't setup MY
routers and firewalls.  And on the worstations you don't run NetBios at all.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:12:30 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Encouraging OEMs to "protect" customers from pirate

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The best excuse I have heard Microsoft said about why they dislike piracy
> is when the said "When you download pirated software you donot know
> whether it has patched beta code or a virus", I would rather take my
> chances with pirated software (though I donot use it) because at least if
> it stuffs up, it will do it at the same rate as legit stuff, hence no
> money lost
>
> kiwiunixman

Amen, and when it *does* work which is most of the time, all the better
:P