From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Life in the Midwest - technolife that is.
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 00:16:19 GMT

On Sat, 01 Jul 2000 05:21:32 -0600, John Porterfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nathaniel Jay Lee
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>It's less of an issue of whether people in the midwest have use for
>computers, (farmers are actually very reilant on computer technology, do
>you think they spend 500,000 on farm  equipment for old technology?) It's
>more of an issue that the big paying jobs are on the  coasts, especially

        Actually, most of those numbers are less impressive when you do ALL
        the math. Little things like increased tax brackets, inflated local
        and state taxes, high cost of living, absurd real estate values and
        such can make some of those impressive numbers shrink a bit.

[deletia]

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 00:17:32 GMT

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000 18:07:50 -0400, Joe Kiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Nathaniel Jay Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>[snip]
>> (east or west).  But the coastal people are saying they wouldn't go to a
>> tech conference in the midwest so it is pointless to have a conference
>> there.  Apparently they really believe that we are all a bunch of hicks
>> and farmers.  What do you guys have to say on the matter?
[deletia]
>KU basketball coach Roy Williams' wife says she is tired of living in
>Kansas,
>and she wants Roy to move back to NC.  Trust me, there's absolutely nothing
>to do here in NC.  If she wants to come back that bad, Kansas must be
>hell.
[deletia]

        It sounds like you could call KC the "midwest of the midwest". '-)

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Hardware: ideal budget Linux box? (Re: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm not
ready.)
Date: 2 Jul 2000 00:21:02 GMT

On Sat, 01 Jul 2000 13:55:05 -0400, Laura Goodwin wrote:
>Speaking of hardware, what would be the cheapest GOOD Linux system you
>could build nowadays?  I know what a min spec, entry-level Windows PC

Video card:     go with nVidia or Matrox. If you're really cheap,
        you can get an old Millenium II or G200 for peanuts off ebay.

MB/CPU: You're going for a budget system, so I'd suggest go
        with a celeron.

Modem:  This one's tricky if you want "cheap". Your best bet is an
        external serial modem but these are expensive. The next best thing
        is an internal ISA modem. Not all modems are supported. Try to
        get one that doesn't list "Windows" as a system requirement. ( For
        example, some of the USR models are OK. Don't get a "Winmodem". )

Hard disk:      Get whatever you think you'll need. If you want to dual boot,
        you'll obviously want more space.  Depending on what software you
        install, you'll want 500MB - 4GB for Linux.

Printer:        Go with a HP PCL printer. Check the printing HOWTO to make sure
        it's supported. Any *true* PCL printer is supported.

Mouse:  Get three buttons if you can. Three button serial mice start
        at $peanuts.

Sound:  I've always gone with Soundblaster and compatibles.
        These work OK, but I'm not sure if they are the best. On Linux, I
        use sound mostly for games and real audio.

Monitor:        They all work. I wouldn't get less than 17" nowadays. If X doesn't
        work on your machine, it's your video card's fault, not the monitors.

Memory: Well you could go as low as 8MB, but it's not a good idea. If
        you want to run things like office suites and Netscape, go with 64-128MB.

HTH
--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux not ready for primetime!!! !
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 20:22:50 -0400

leg log wrote:

> Don't respond with profanity.
> I'm a real person who has owned and used computers since 1986!! Imagine if I

He's written 17,734 different versions of "hello world" so far.

> made the same statements about a school teacher or automobile safety.
> Everyone would be shouting for immediate improvement. The status quo would
> not be available for download or purchase. They would not be able to just
> say try this or that. They would have to make our computers work easier and
> better. That is what I was hoping for when I looked into Linux. I truly
> would have to say that in the estimation of this reasonable adult. Windows98
> does the "job" much better than Linux. Linux is beside the point.
> I will still keep Linux because I enjoy tinkering with computers.
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:8jlhlm$gap$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > What a bunch of BS! Man I can't wait for school to start again!
> >

> > In article <395e394d$0$8306$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "leg log" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > It was my post. I started my professional practice about ten years
> > ago. I've
> > > had some success. I'm a wealthy man. Ten years later, about twenty
> > computers
> > > later, I've had it!! I drive my cars, I talk on my telephones, I watch
> > my 10
> > > or twelve TVs, record each TVs with a VCR( each of them), I use my 6
> > or 7
> > > computers. I have Maytags topline washer and dryer. Sleek, jet black
> > frig.
> > > and freezer from Sears(Sears man comes installs, etc. just works ..)
> > All of
> > > this works different than Linux!! Everything else works for me. Linux
> > makes
> > > me work. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > >
> > > "Jimmy Navarro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > only
> > > for

> > dule-booting.
> > being
> > > stuck
> > > simply
> > icon
> > > on
> > > install?
> > support?
> > > Its
> > Can't
> > > print
> > user?
> > weak.
> > > Its
> > care
> > StarOffice! Ten
> > color
> > than
> > the
> > why
> > > not
> > computer, not
> > > OS.
> > easy
> > > one, I
> > > >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 00:22:44 GMT

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000 12:02:19 -0500, leg log <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I Installed Mandrake Linux 7.1 two days ago. Thank God for dule-booting. I
>like tinkering around sort of like a hobby, but can not imagine being stuck
>with linux as my only OS.
>Too many things to do just to use the computer productively. How to simply
>install software? Where did the software go? What icon? How to put icon on

        ...much in the same way you would in Windows with installshield
        or the add/remove apps applite.

>KDE desktop? How to put icon on K menu? Not enough disk space to install?

        How would you do it under Windows if the install script didn't
        successfully wipe your nose for you? Would your gramma or Joe
        SixPack be in any less of a quagmire.

>I've got 18 Gigs! Star Office will be installed without Java support? Its
>year 2000, I just installed this OS and it did not include Java? Can't print

        Since when has WinDOS come with system level java?

[deletia]

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 20:25:13 -0400

Pedro Iglesias wrote:

> > I Installed Mandrake Linux 7.1 two days ago. Thank God for dule-booting. I
> > like tinkering around sort of like a hobby, but can not imagine being
> stuck
> > with linux as my only OS.
>
> So do a lot of people about being stuck with Windows as their only OS.
>
> > Too many things to do just to use the computer productively.
>
> The same that at any OS I think.
>
> >How to simply
> > install software? Where did the software go? What icon? How to put icon on
> > KDE desktop? How to put icon on K menu?
>
> Come on, be serious, were you born knowing how to install software on
> Windows ?
> Anyway, where does the software go when you install at Windows ? How do you
> put an icon at Windows desktop ? And inside the start menu ? Not too
> intuitive at all.
>
> > Star Office will be installed without Java support? Its
> > year 2000, I just installed this OS and it did not include Java?
>
> Why the Hell would you want Java if you do not need it ? I hate Java and
> besides,
> Windows does not install Java, IE does, and Microsoft is being split because
> of that.
> Not to talk about Microsoft Java virtual machine implementation.
>
> >Have to install the same program for every user?
>
> Take a look at Office 2000 ;-), besides what do you mind it to install ?
> Just installing with
> /net option and then a little space at each user directory is enough. Do you
> really want to
> learn a new OS or just a non-Microsoft Windows ? Linux is not that.
>
> > Hard computer Vs easy computer, lets see, Hmm. I'll go with the easy one,
> > just want to get something done.
>
> As much as a tool can achieve, as much harder it will be to use. Computers
> are extremly
> powerful tools, so, despite Microsoft claims, they MUST be not too easy to
> use. And if you
> think Windows administration and use is easy for non-windows-introduces
> ones, you are
> just wrong. Not to talk about reliability, stability and security.

Ever watch someone, who has never used a computer before, sit down
in front of Windows for the first time?

"Intuitive" is NOT the word for it...

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 00:24:23 GMT

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000 13:35:51 -0500, leg log <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Linux as it stand now is STUPID!!!!!

        No, you just have no capacity to adapt to something that deviates
        from  the first interface you were ever exposed to.

[deletia]

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Trying Linux yet again....
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 00:29:44 GMT

On 1 Jul 2000 19:26:30 -0500, Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 21:14:24 -0400, Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 22:55:57 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 18:42:19 -0400, Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>[deletia]
>>>
>>>     ...that's funny, my USB mouse works just fine. It's just a HID
>>>     device after all...
>>>
>>>[deletia]
>>

>>It looks like the USB support in Mandrake 7.0 is not the same as what
>>is in 7.1 The older versoin must have supported my motherboard's USB
>>controller and the newer one doesn't.
>
>You half to recompial the kernal a cuppal of times and maibe patch it to. Or
>you can save

        ...or you could just install the latest version of Mandrake
        if you're desperate enough to install an entirely other OS..

[deletia]

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS's ...
Date: 1 Jul 2000 20:34:11 -0500

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:24:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:49:08 GMT, Pedro Iglesias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Take it to MS advocacy. The 1995 Unixes could still beat w2k and
>>> millenium.
>
>       Actually, in '95 any of the Unix could go toe to toe with NT5
>       on the desktop. The only problems on the Unix side would be
>       lack of graphics design or "running everything".

 ...and also that UNIX still maik's you work hard like a slaiv TODAY (imajin
UNIX in 1995 HAHA!) wile Windo's
does all the work for you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner?
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 00:33:29 GMT

On 1 Jul 2000 19:26:56 -0500, Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 17 Jun 2000 18:50:24 GMT, I R A Darth Aggie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 06:59:46 GMT,
>>James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>+ it. If Linux wasn't here I would be using my Mac more.
>>
>><stage whisper>You could run linux on your mac...</stage whisper>
>>
>>...presuming, of course, that it is capable of doing so.
>
>Good luck. You half to be even more cairfull when picking Mac hardwhere for
>LIE-nux than when
>picking PC hardwhere. Better make DAMN SURE that its a PCI buss and not a new

        Linux likes my "new busses" just fine, including AGP.

>buss or else LIE-nux
>will puke all over it.

[deletia]

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Rich C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I hope you trolls are happy...
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 20:38:01 -0400

"Jeff Szarka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 30 Jun 2000 18:44:10 GMT, Brian Langenberger
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I went out and bought a nice Logitech PS2/USB one, plugged it in,
> >adjusted a couple of config files and had no trouble since.
>
> No... There is where you are wrong. You're not susposed to edit any
> config files. As far as I'm concerned, Linux does not support wheel
> mice unless they just work.

Oh, so my Logitech wheel mouse will "just work"? Even if I don't install
mouseware 8.x or whatever software came with the thing? _NOT_

In windows, you install drivers and reboot, In UNIX and its derivatives, you
edit text files. That's just the way it is.

> Windows has been doing this for many years now.

UNIX has been doing its thing for many more.

-- Rich C.
"Because light travels faster than sound, many people appear to be
intelligent, until you hear them speak."

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How fast is your text?
Date: 1 Jul 2000 20:34:21 -0500

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:10:55 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm sure everyone knows this already, but here's Yet Another
>Contrived BenchMark That Shows Linux Is Faster Than Windows.  :-)

It show's what we alreddy kno: UNIX is good at shuffalling text but not good at
annything else.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Hardware: ideal budget Linux box? (Re: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 20:45:12 -0400

Cihl wrote:

> Laura Goodwin wrote:
>
> [snipped loads of stuff about ideal cheap Linux box]
>
> Lemme take a crack at this one.
>
> Motherboard:
> Anything with an Intel-chipset is perfect. Others work well, too, but
> i'd test it first, like VIA-chipsets for example.

Via works well for me

> CPU:
> Anything will do. For price, i'd choose a Celeron.

K6's are typically 50% less for the same clock speed AND have more
on-chip cache, which can have even more influence on performance
than clock speed.

> Memory:
> Something in the 64 to 128 MB range will do nicely.
>
> Video:
> There are many, many card that work well in Linux. Some brands support
> Linux better than others. Seek these out, like ATI/3DFX/nVidia and
> such.
>
> Harddisk:
> No significant problems. The minimum you can buy today is 10 Gigs, and
> that'll do nicely. If it's UDMA-66, test it first. Full UDMA-66
> support is in kernel 2.4. (Remember that no other OS's have
> UDMA66-support out of the box either. The new Linux will also have
> UDMA-100 support)
>
> CD-ROM:
> The cheapest IDE-cdrom will do.
>
> Network?
> Cheapest NE-2000 compatible card is good enough. PCI preferably,
> IsaPnP sucks, IMHO.

ISA bus is inadequate for any ethernet connection.

> Modem?
> Watch out for this one, unless you get them an external one. Many
> internal PCI-modems are brainless ones. (Windows only, Resource hog,
> avoid!)

I believe that all of the ISA modems are fully functional
(internal brains and dsps).

> Mouse:
> Cheapest you can find. It's gotta be a cheap computer, no need to lift
> the price over a mouse. :-) PS/2, USB, doesn't matter, it all works.
>
> Printer:
> Watch out for Winprinters, like HP720C and such. Other than that,
> almost all Epson and HP printers work well. (Watch out for Lexmark.
> They're cheap, but have very expensive cartridges. They break down
> easily as well)

Avoid modern Canons as well.

from an engineering standpoint, I like Canon's designs..but,
they are very cranky with Linux.

> Scanner:
> All SCSI-devices will do, but they're more expensive. Wait for kernel
> 2.4 and pick a USB-scanner. Most Parport-scanners have a proprietary
> protocol which only works with Windows. (Microsoft is in court for
> things like this, isn't it?)
>
> Did i leave anything out?
>
> --
> ¨I live!¨
> ¨I hunger!¨
> ¨Run, coward!¨
>                -- The Sinistar

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Rich C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: We WANT different enviroments (Was: Linux, easy to use?
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 20:46:58 -0400

"Leslie Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8jluno$1m39$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <8jlq7s$m37$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Pete Goodwin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I'm arguing for some consistancy in the various types of desktop.
> >Diversity is fine but anarchy is just crazy. If each and every desktop
> >on Linux redefine the basics like Cut, Copy and Paste, that means if I
> >switch desktops, the basic ground rules change. That's what I'm arguing
> >against!
>

> Have you found something where the usual
> left-mouse select = snarf
> middle-mouse = barf
> doesn't work?

IMO, this strategy is flawed, as I discovered while playing with it. While
it does work across all the apps I've tried it with, I had a problem when I
wanted to _replace_ a text selection with my "snarfed" text. I had to go to
the target, delete it, then go back to my source and select the text, then
rather learn all the more convenient variants, even though there's more to
remember.

-- Rich C.
"Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.