Linux-Advocacy Digest #423, Volume #27            Sun, 2 Jul 00 11:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Hardware: ideal budget Linux box? (Re: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm not ready.)
("jmc")
  Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner? (Stefaan A Eeckels)
  Re: Petition for Microsoft (Cihl)
  Re: Hardware: ideal budget Linux box? (Re: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm   (Cihl)
  Re: Hardware: ideal budget Linux box? (Re: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm  (Cihl)
  Re: Uptime 6 months and counting. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Why linux sucks and why linux is best (Darren Winsper)
  Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner? (Dex)
  Re: Linux code going down hill ("Joseph T. Adams")
  Re: CommyLinux vs Microsoft (abraxas)
  Re: Linux code going down hill (abraxas)
  Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner? (Stephen Bodnar)
  Re: OS's ... (Chris Shepherd)
  Re: Linux, easy to use? (Chris Shepherd)
  Re: Linux not ready for primetime!!! ! (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Where did all my windows go? (Chris Shepherd)
  Re: Where did all my windows go? (Chris Shepherd)
  Re: Linux code going down hill (Timothy Murphy)
  Re: Hardware: ideal budget Linux box? (Re: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm not ready.)
("Gonzo")
  Re: Where did all my windows go? (Chris Shepherd)
  Re: We WANT different enviroments (Was: Linux, easy to use? (Chris Shepherd)

From: "jmc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Hardware: ideal budget Linux box? (Re: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm not
ready.)
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 08:57:04 +0930

Laura Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> I'm not going to give up.  But until I can successfully load and use
> Linux for at least email and the Web, I know it's not ready for the
> masses.  I'm one of the people that's going to be explaining it to
> folks, so I'd better understand it first, or we ain't getting very far!
> "Sureshot" Laura
> http://pcwranglers.com/

Laura:

First, I'm still relatively new to Linux..

RedHat 6.2 set up flawlessly on my new system:  Athlon 650, Matrox Milennium
G400, SB Live! Value, LS120, Castlewood Orb, UDMA/66 HD, CD and all, all set
up properly and run great.  The Orb was the biggest suprise, as I thought
there were no drivers for it yet!

Half this stuff wouldn't set up during install in RedHat 6, and I couldn't
get past partitioning with Mandrake 7 ("your partition table is to corrupt
for me to see" - huh?  I know Mandrake doesn't like Athlons anyway).

The only finicky bit was my USR PCI modem, which continued to want to be set
up on what is COM5 in windows.  SetSerial for the I/O and IRQ that the modem
wants, set to COM2, works a charm.

RedHat 6.2 has been appearing on many magazine cover CDs here in Oz (and
thus is REALLY free), though that probably doesn't help you much :)

At any rate, it's running fine on my system, and is quite fast!

--
jmc
======================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefaan A Eeckels)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner?
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 10:34:04 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Why is it that all you LIE-nux nuts alwase clame that Windo's
> crashes all the time when its not trew?
>
> PPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT. What a nice, rownd number. How long it took
> you to make it up?
>
> Come across this: Windows 2000. It blo's LIE-nux away It blo's LIE-nux
> away It blo's LIE-nux away

Why do we get afflicted with dweebs who can't spell?

--
Stefaan
--

------------------------------

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Petition for Microsoft
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 10:15:58 GMT

"Paul E. Larson" wrote:

> >is successful?
> >
> >It says any successful enterprise that corners the market by illegally
> >forcing others out of business will be broken up.  As you don't want to
>
> Think about what you wrote. You have just included EVERY company that has
> successfully competed in business.

No, he didn't. Note the word 'illegally'. It's illegal to use monopoly
power to corner other markets.

--
¨I live!¨
¨I hunger!¨

------------------------------

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Hardware: ideal budget Linux box? (Re: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 10:31:58 GMT

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Jul 2000 22:05:23 GMT, Cihl wrote:
>
> >Video:
> >There are many, many card that work well in Linux. Some brands support
> >Linux better than others. Seek these out, like ATI/3DFX/nVidia and
> >such.
>
> You forgot Matrox.

Oops. :-) Well, i guess i forget some other ones as well, but never
mind.

> >Mouse:
> >Cheapest you can find. It's gotta be a cheap computer, no need to lift
> >the price over a mouse. :-) PS/2, USB, doesn't matter, it all works.
>
> Go for a three button.

Of course, how could i forget. Unix/Linux -> 3 buttons

--
¨I live!¨
¨I hunger!¨

------------------------------

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 10:35:24 GMT

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Cihl wrote:
> >
> > Laura Goodwin wrote:
> >
> > [snipped loads of stuff about ideal cheap Linux box]
> >
> > Lemme take a crack at this one.
> >
> > Motherboard:
> > Anything with an Intel-chipset is perfect. Others work well, too, but
> > i'd test it first, like VIA-chipsets for example.
>
> Via works well for me

Really? Any arguments about lack of support get outdated as i type
them.
It must be a Linux thing.

> > CPU:
> > Anything will do. For price, i'd choose a Celeron.
>
> K6's are typically 50% less for the same clock speed AND have more
> on-chip cache, which can have even more influence on performance
> than clock speed.

AMD is ok. Watch out for the K6-3D, though. Some stores have taken it
out, because it would consistently slow down after about half an hour.

--
¨I live!¨
¨I hunger!¨

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Uptime 6 months and counting.
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 10:44:45 GMT

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Unfortunately, they [UPSs] are rather pricy friends when you are
>> dealing with 10 or so machines

>Here's what you do.

>Open it up...you will find a 12.7V lead-acid batter inside (probably
>a "motorcycle" battery.

>Now....buy a couple of car batteries...and put them in parallel with
>the motorcycle battery.

Uhm, capacity isn't a problem --- most power outages are 1 to 2 seconds.
But total power output is, and I would be very reluctant to attach 1kW worth
of computers to a 300W UPS.... When those thyristors blow, bad things
can happen ;-)

Bernie
--
To understand the heart and mind of a person, look not at what he has
    already achieved, but at what he aspires to.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Winsper)
Subject: Re: Why linux sucks and why linux is best
Date: 2 Jul 2000 11:26:18 GMT

On 1 Jul 2000 19:23:33 -0500, Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It doesant matter that LIE-nux doesant work, just as long as everyboddy uses it.
> "Thow shalt halve no other gods before LIE-nux!"

OK, you're getting boring now.  *PLONK*

--
Darren Winsper (El Capitano) - ICQ #8899775
Stellar Legacy project member - http://stellarlegacy.sourceforge.net

------------------------------

From: Dex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 08:22:07 -0400

Tim Palmer wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 06:59:46 GMT, James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Default wrote:
> >>
> >> Having just gotten through reading over 7,000 Linux posts in one sitting,
> >> I *still* fail to see the advantages of Linux over Apple's forthcoming OS
> >> 'X'.

You mean Apple is going to distribute the source code with their operating system????
Cool!!!! Then it
would be on par with Linux B-)

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux code going down hill
Date: 2 Jul 2000 12:41:22 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Well, solving technical issues was not really the point of
: the post.  I can trace down and fix the problems easily
: enough except for the lack of maintaining the man pages.

: The issue is why use an OS without centralizing source
: control and testing when there are free Unix-compatible
: implementations available that do have these critical
: elements?

You might be happier with FreeBSD.

Also, some Linux distributions, such as Debian, pay considerably more
attention to careful testing than others, particularly those that
deliberately try to be on the "bleeding edge" such as Mandrake.

Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: CommyLinux vs Microsoft
Date: 2 Jul 2000 13:19:53 GMT

Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> abraxas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : You obviously havent been doing this usenet thing as long as
> : some.
>
> There exist some people who've been on usenet longer than me,
> yes.  My experience only goes back 6 years.

And im one of them, having been around for at least twice as long.

> : In actuality, Palmer is a troll's troll; the old
> : fashioned kind.  His trolling is multitiered and quite efficient.
>
> Bullshit.  I'm fully capable of seeing the multiple levels.

Whether or not you can see multiple levels has nothing to do with
whether or not you have experiential knowledge of the art of the
troll, which you apparantly do not.

> The
> fact that I don't find it praiseworthy doesn't mean I don't recognise
> it.  The effect that trolling has is to reduce people's willingness
> to correct false claims (because they are left wondering in those
> borderline cases whether or not the person really means what they
> are saying or if they are a troll.)  If everyone followed the advice
> to not feed the trolls, then FUD spreaders and other bullshit artists
> would have free reign to keep making their dumb claims unchallenged.

I said that in one sentence three posts ago.

> : And most importantly:  it works.
>
> This is hardly praiseworthy.  It succeeds at poisoning the well.

I didnt say it was praiseworthy.  You just like to bitch.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 2 Jul 2000 13:22:47 GMT

Paul Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
> <snip>
>> IMO, Solaris is more or less unusable until you add the GNU
>> utilities to it. ( Does it even ship with a C++ compiler ??? )
>
> No. Hell, it doesn't even ship with something as basic as 'top'.

Solaris is an exceedingly specialized UNIX, linux is not UNIX at
all.  Linux is 'gnu-nux'.

If you do not know exactly why you need solaris, then you do not
need solaris.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: Stephen Bodnar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 05:33:03 -0800

In article <8jm4kj$tnk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(abraxas) wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hes talking about nubus powermacs, as opposed to PCI powermacs...i.e. all
> 6100s
> and some 7100s.  Yellowdog, LinuxPPC and MKlinux will not run on nubus
> powermacs.
>
> However, you dont have to be careful to not get a nubus mac, as there are nearly
> none left in existance.
>

> -----yttrx

MKLinux runs fine on NuBus PowerMacs. Had an old 8100 that did
just fine, thank you!

There are plenty of NuBus Macs around. You just can't find parts...

Stephen

------------------------------

From: Chris Shepherd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS's ...
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 09:45:08 -0400

> >       Actually, in '95 any of the Unix could go toe to toe with NT5
> >       on the desktop. The only problems on the Unix side would be
> >       lack of graphics design or "running everything".
>
>  ...and also that UNIX still maik's you work hard like a slaiv TODAY (imajin
> UNIX in 1995 HAHA!) wile Windo's
> does all the work for you.

Actually, OS/2 made you go through setup once, and foom! Everything was
easy (easier than NT IMO) and GUI-based. So no, you didn't have to 'work
hard like a [slave]' in '95. Sorry, but you should probably do a little
looking into the various versions of unix and unix offshoots that were
available at the time.

BTW, do you really think that IBM uses Windows in their support call
centres?

--
Chris Shepherd
Vice President, GDPS Computers

"Don't talk unless you can improve the silence." - Laurence Coughlin

------------------------------

From: Chris Shepherd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux, easy to use?
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 09:49:30 -0400

> >And how exactly can you paste it? Ctrl-v?
> >BTW: after my first few months on unixes, I started finding the windows
> >"it's not copied yet" way clumsy.
>
> You press the button on the tool bar of the DOS prompt.

Ahh yes, this must me much more efficient than the paste-with-middle
option. :P

> >If the mouse procedure works in all cases, it is not inconsistent.
> >It's just that you don't like it :-)
>
> I like cut/copy/paste to be associated to keypresses, menus and drag and
> drop. Then it all starts to make sense.

Just because you got used to windows doesn't mean that the mouse
procedure is inconsistent.

> >BTW: Ctrl-x/c/v DOES work in edit fields in KDE. Try it.
>
> Can I copy from an xterm into an edit field - I can if I use the MB3 paste,
> but not CTRL-C CTRLV - I can't use CTRL-C in an xterm.

Well, you could, but not to copy. ;)

--
Chris Shepherd
Vice President, GDPS Computers
Known in the SCA as William Silverlake

"But sir, I've been with your family since 1167!" "So has syphillis, get
out!"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Linux not ready for primetime!!! !
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 13:57:28 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ciaran
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote on Sat, 01 Jul 2000 19:45:01 -0700
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>"leg log" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>It was my post. I started my professional practice about ten
>years ago. I've
>>had some success. I'm a wealthy man. Ten years later, about
>twenty computers
>>later, I've had it!! I drive my cars, I talk on my telephones,
>I watch my 10
>>or twelve TVs, record each TVs with a VCR( each of them), I use
>my 6 or 7
>>computers. I have Maytags topline washer and dryer. Sleek, jet
>black frig.
>>and freezer from Sears(Sears man comes installs, etc. just
>works ..) All of
>>this works different than Linux!! Everything else works for me.
>Linux makes
>>me work. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>

>You have a sleek, jet black fidge ? Why ?
>
>How is a person supposed to take you serious when you say
>something freaky like that ? You sound like a spoiled, tedious
>twit with more possesions than brain cells.
>
>Go and buy a wany sports car and continue with your mid life
>crisis.

Just out of curiosity....what does "wany" mean? :-) :-)

Zany?

Waxy?

Whiney?

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- Peanut Gallery.  n  The lurkers.
                    Lurker. n  One of the peanut gallery.

------------------------------

From: Chris Shepherd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where did all my windows go?
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 09:59:23 -0400

> Yes I know KDE is not Linux. It's just that I've been called a moron and a
> complete idiot because I don't distinguish between "Linux" and the "Linux
> desktop" which could be KDE.

You could say 'whichever GUI you happen to have installed' instead.

--
Chris Shepherd
Vice President, GDPS Computers
Known in the SCA as William Silverlake

Borrow money from a pessimist - they don't expect it back.

------------------------------

From: Chris Shepherd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 10:02:47 -0400

>Well, your problem seams to be (as you mentianned abuv) that your
>running Linux. Just pop in Windo's 2000 and you woant have any more
>problem's.

Actually, I would have to disagree. Anyone else here about the original
scandisk and drives over 4 gig? MUNCH! MUNCH! MUNCH! Ohh, that was a
piece of fat! MUNCH MUNCH!

PS: Sorry for the horrible puns.

--
Chris Shepherd
Vice President, GDPS Computers
Known in the SCA as William Silverlake

As long as you do not move you can still choose any direction.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy Murphy)
Date: 2 Jul 2000 15:04:55 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>        It seems Linux is really going down hill do the lack of
>proper source control and testing.  I have been trying out the
>latest release of Redhat, and the clear command core dumps on me,

Works perfectly well for me.

In my opinion (and experience) both RedHat and Linux
have been steadily improving.
Upgrading to RedHat-6.2 was easier than any previous upgrade.
Similarly, upgrading to 2.4.0-test2, as I just did,
caused no problems at all.
In fact, it is ages since a kernel-update caused any difficulties,
whereas in the old days almost every kernel-upgrade
had some attendant problems.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Gonzo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 09:20:43 -0500

One suggestion:  Download Mandrake 7.1 iso files for the two CDs.  Use a
CDRW to burn the two boot CDs and then install it.  Mandrake 7.1 will let
you install onto your existing Windows98 FAT32 partition without screwing up
Windows and messing with partitions.  RH 6.2 can also be installed that way
but Mandrake 7.1 is faster and much more newbie friendly in this
configuration.  If you find that you do not want to mess with Linux anymore,
then all you have to do is delete two files off your HD and edit your
config.sys file to restore your system to it's former Windows-only self.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Chris Shepherd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 10:13:25 -0400

> >But surely you've had to know how to type ctrl-alt-del to get your
> >task manager to kill an app and recover your system. Now a windows
> >newbie wouldn't know how to do that, just as KDE newbie doesn't know
> >how to restart KFM.
>
> Precisely. Your point?

I believe his point was that if you are comparing an intermediate to
advanced Win2k user to a Beginner or absolute Novice KDE user, you're
making an unfair comparison. Hell, I'm a linux beginner, let alone any
of the extra packages that go with, but even I would have figured out to
reload kfm.

What exactly do you do in Win2k when a program you need to run dies? You
run it again right?

Perhaps this was all spawned because when explorer goes in '98, Windows
reloads it for you (providing further crashes for your viewing
pleasure).

> If I say Linux and compare it to a Windows desktop feature, then is it not
> bleeding obvious I mean "Linux KDE"? In all the posts I've done, I'm pretty
> much talking about KDE all the time. If that's stretching the context, I
> must be talking to children!

Actually, no, it's not bleeding obvious. Then why not simply _SAY_ 'KDE'
instead of the convoluted, misleading 'linux desktop' (of which there
are different WMs for linux).

> That's just what I was thinking? I guess I'll have to start using using
> "Linux and the KDE desktop" for all those simpletons here who don't
> understand basic English. What a mouthful. Of course, I could use "Linux
> and the KDE desktop" just the once, and then everyone ought to know what I
> mean when I say Linux from then on.
>
> Otherwise I really am talking to children.

No, you're talking to a bunch of people who happen to know what you are
talking about, and are correcting you on your usage of terminology,
which you can't seem to accept. If I were to go around and say that I
was using the Windows Document Editor, what are you going to ask? Are
you perchance just going to assume I mean word?

--
Chris Shepherd
Vice President, GDPS Computers
Known in the SCA as William Silverlake

SAM: It seems like these evil guys will never begin to understand our
peaceful nature. MAX: I hope they figure it out pretty quick. My trigger
finger is blistering.

------------------------------

From: Chris Shepherd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: We WANT different enviroments (Was: Linux, easy to use?
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 10:18:46 -0400

> > If you mean "the Linux desktop lags behind Windows" you should not say
> > "Linux lags behind Windows" because the latter would include using the
> > OS for things other than a desktop. Why is it so hard to type 13 extra
> > characters??
>
> It's called context. Is it not immediately obvious that if I start
> talking about a desktop feature of Windows and then start talking about
> Linux, I'm _obviously_ not talking about Linux, but the Linux desktop?

Yes, but which one?

--
Chris Shepherd
Vice President, GDPS Computers
Known in the SCA as William Silverlake

"I think, therefore I am a target." Ensign Expendable

------------------------------

From: "Gonzo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 09:32:19 -0500

Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Laura Goodwin wrote:
>
> [snipped loads of stuff about ideal cheap Linux box]
>
> Lemme take a crack at this one.
>
> Motherboard:
> Anything with an Intel-chipset is perfect. Others work well, too, but
> i'd test it first, like VIA-chipsets for example.

Er, AMD Athlon chipset works fine too FWIW.

> CPU:
> Anything will do. For price, i'd choose a Celeron.

Duron is a better deal if you can wait for it.  OTOH, my current K7 500 with
AMD chipset board works great with Mandrake and RH Linux & Windows98SE.

> Memory:
> Something in the 64 to 128 MB range will do nicely.

Linux will only see 64megs of ram on some boards.  Make sure you update your
BIOS to the latest if you run into this problem.

> Video:
> There are many, many card that work well in Linux. Some brands support
> Linux better than others. Seek these out, like ATI/3DFX/nVidia and
> such.

Voodoo3 is the best card for Linux IMHO.  Remember,  Direct3D is proprietary
to MS Windows only whereas the "Glide" 3D API and OpenGL is available for
Linux.

> Harddisk:
> No significant problems. The minimum you can buy today is 10 Gigs, and
> that'll do nicely. If it's UDMA-66, test it first. Full UDMA-66
> support is in kernel 2.4. (Remember that no other OS's have
> UDMA66-support out of the box either. The new Linux will also have
> UDMA-100 support)

Mandrake 7.1 supports UDMA 66 and has the new XFree to boot :o)

> CD-ROM:
> The cheapest IDE-cdrom will do.
>
> Network?
> Cheapest NE-2000 compatible card is good enough. PCI preferably,
> IsaPnP sucks, IMHO.

Cheap Realtek PCI and ISA works for me.  3Com are better but cost like five
times as much so not really worth it.  Main thing is to get one that is
certified as NE2000 compatible.

> Modem?
> Watch out for this one, unless you get them an external one. Many
> internal PCI-modems are brainless ones. (Windows only, Resource hog,
> avoid!)

True, but even some Winmodems have Linmodem drivers.

> Mouse:
> Cheapest you can find. It's gotta be a cheap computer, no need to lift
> the price over a mouse. :-) PS/2, USB, doesn't matter, it all works.

Note:  Get a three button mouse for Linux.  Comes in handy in Win games like
Homeworld also ;o)

> Printer:
> Watch out for Winprinters, like HP720C and such. Other than that,
> almost all Epson and HP printers work well. (Watch out for Lexmark.
> They're cheap, but have very expensive cartridges. They break down
> easily as well)

I can vouch for that.  Can't even get my Lexmark recognized in Linux but Im
a lost little newbie so I have lots to learn.  I did want to help you
(original poster)  with what I have learned so far though.

> Scanner:
> All SCSI-devices will do, but they're more expensive. Wait for kernel
> 2.4 and pick a USB-scanner. Most Parport-scanners have a proprietary
> protocol which only works with Windows. (Microsoft is in court for
> things like this, isn't it?)
>
> Did i leave anything out?

Sound cards...  My cheap ESS Solo1 soundcard works great.  Most cards are
supported by their respective chip sets so you should be OK with most any
card.

------------------------------

From: Chris Shepherd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 10:23:53 -0400

> IMO, this strategy is flawed, as I discovered while playing with it. While
> it does work across all the apps I've tried it with, I had a problem when I
> wanted to _replace_ a text selection with my "snarfed" text. I had to go to
> the target, delete it, then go back to my source and select the text, then
> rather learn all the more convenient variants, even though there's more to
> remember.

Perhaps select-with-right could be used to allow for the quick
overwriting of text? You select the text you want to copy with LMB, then
select the text you want to overwrite with RMB, and then paste with the
middle button. Would that not work well?

--
Chris Shepherd
Vice President, GDPS Computers
Known in the SCA as William Silverlake

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a
kind word alone." - Al Capone