Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 19:33:23 -0400
From: sandrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where did all my windows go?

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <8jvhnt$2b3b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) wrote:
>
> > Now if you concede that your case where you managed to hang kfm
> > wasn't 'Linux' failing, or that 'Most' apps don't crash under
> > Linux, we might be making progress...
>
> I never said 'most' apps crash or don't crash on Linux.
>
> As for Linux failing, I'm still waiting to see people stop using terms
> like WinDoze or LoseDos. Or to stop making statements like "Linux is 3
> times faster than Windows" without pointing out what they really meant
> to say was "Linux is three times faster than Windows for a specific set
> of tests".

        Oh Please if that ain`t the kettle calling the pot black.
        Ever hear of the mindcraft test or the TPC tests add nausium ?

        When has ms ever have done a reasonable test of os`s?  First it
        was SUN then Novell then Linux then Novell again.

        I`ll stop saying Linux os faster the (pick your choice of lose here)
        when microsoft stops it`s lieing and FUD tatics.  Saying Linux is
        faster than (pick your version of lose here) IS true.  I have
        pitted my lowly linux server (200Mhz P5) running against all
        the servers at the location where I work (Kronos) and linux ran
        and out performed the ms servers.  Even the SMP PIII500 (DELL
        hardware) with three times the ram.  No excuses needed.

        Make a bench mark and I`ll run it and post the result.  Then
        we`ll see how it stacks up against all your My lose runs faster
        than linux arguments.  You can even programmme one if you wish.

        You see if my server is slower/faster then what.  You see means
        nothing.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linux lags behind Windows
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:36:29 GMT

On 5 Jul 2000 18:10:16 -0500, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[deletia]
>>>It's pretty easy to find the vendors that have linux driver on
>>>their web/ftp sites - before buying something that encourages
>>>vendors that don't support Linux.
>>
>>I bought a 3DFX because I happen to like their 3D implementation. Glide

        Yeah, right. Anyone with half a clue criticises 3dfx's 3D
        implementation. Glide also tends to get nearly universally
        panned amongst gamers with any clue.

        Then there's the point that's already been brought up that
        3dfx is only acknowledging release drivers for 9x and not
        for NT5 even.

>>etc. seems to be well supported on a lot of games. Unreal Tournament runs
>>beautifully with it; Quake III Arena nows runs in 1024 x 768 mode without
>>stuttering.
>
>And you couldn't do that with a card that supports Linux?  The
>nvidia drivers are easy to find.  3dfx might have some but
[deletia]

        They also have the best gaming performance bar none on both
        Windows and Linux. 3dfx is a good card in terms of Linux
        support (assuming the card in question isn't bleeding edge).
        Otherwise the logical choice for a Windows user into games
        should be nvidia. If you care more about performance than
        openness than nvidia is still the logical choice for a
        performance oriented gamer even on Linux.

        This would be a classical case of "buying random hardware at
        compusa" biting you in the but regardless of what OS you're
        running.

BTW, V5 support is supposed to be in the latest Xfree.

--

        It only takes a little bit of bad luck to negate the whole benefit
        of "runs everything" for a particualar end user.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ken ryan)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner?
Date: 5 Jul 2000 21:37:35 GMT

: Correction.
: The bridge was "The Tacoma Narrows Bridge".
: It was also known as "Galloping Girdie".
: The Verrezano Narrows Bridge" is in NYC.

Not as far off as it sounds though.

Tacoma & Verrezano(sp?) bridges were the same design; nearly identical
construction.  After Tacoma splashed engineers did an analysis of VN
and (as I understand it) drilled a bunch of holes in it to change its
fundamental.

                ken

--
Kenneth Ryan
Principal Engineer              [EMAIL PROTECTED]     M/S: E-15

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:40:25 GMT

On 5 Jul 2000 23:31:27 GMT, abraxas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Mandrake 7.x (not 7.1).
>>
>> Load Audio CD.
>> Play audio CD.
>> Try to eject Audio CD.
>> Will not eject most times even with button on drive.
>> IF it decides it WILL eject, CD drive no longer works.
>>

>You need to unmount it first, brainiac.  Some 'filemanager' type
>things (kde) attempt to do this for you, as well as some cd playing
>software.

        No mounting should be involved actually. I don't play audio
        CD's (whole CD collection is on the fileserver) or use X11amp
        and I'm not inclined to try and reproduce these alleged errors.
        Although what of the CD players I have used: none of them have
        managed to exhibit this behaivor.

        Besides, isn't X11amp deprecated now?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:46:43 GMT

FUD...

They ouldn't sell one copy of the card if it was not supported by
Windows 98....

Win2k is another issue, it is aimed at biz users....Not gamers...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:48:17 GMT

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:29:06 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 22:52:37 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 22:34:06 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>>Why do you have such a difficult time accepting an end result?
>>
>>      The end result isn't under dispute, the root cause is.
>>      You are spinning the situation to fit your particular
>>      anti-foo agenda.
>
>No I'm not, I'm simply saying that folks don't give a hoot about the
>root cause of Linux's lack of hardware support. Chances are good they
>own the hardware (pre-load) and may be curious about Linsux.

        ...they could give as little of a hoot with NT or an iMac
        as well. There is USB hardware or PCI cards that are either
        unsupported or just "kinda-sorta" supported on either.

>When all that Win hardware or even (as in my case) non Win hardware
>fails to function Linux will be deep sixed and the Linvocates can
>argue over who is responsible till they are blue in the face. Won't
>matter because they have lost another customer.
>

>>>My car starts when I turn the key. I don't care who made the ignition
>>>lock.
>>
>>      Your mechanic does.
>
>It was an illustration. You missed, or more than likely, ignored the
>point.
>>>
>>>My doorbell rings when I push the button. I don't care who made the
>>>wires.
>>>
>>>Windows works. Supports virtually any piece of hardware. Mac supports
>>>a lot of this hardware as well (USB).
>>>
>>>Linux does not.
>>
>>      This is a bald faced lie.
>
>Pete posted a list. I have posted a list. Not ONE piece of Win
>hardware and indeed very common hardware and it doesn't work under
>Linux.

        The V5 does not have production quality support under NT.
        Neither does the SBLive. Even under 9x, the hardware env
        audio features of the Live are buggy.

        OTOH, it could merely be the effect of someone who WANTS to
        fail and who is infact highly motivated to FAIL.

        Neither you nor Jeff are at all reliable sources of bug reports.

>Mine even works under an iMac.
> But Linux? Braindead as usual.
>
>>      Linux supports a lot of hardware as well. To claim otherwise
>>      is simple FUD.
>
>Sure, it runs great on those 486/33's we all have hanging around the
>closet.

        Nope, SCSI U2 cards, flatbed scanners, contemporary 3D accelerators,
        high speed cdburners and DVD's, non-trash printers, video capture
        boards.

        This is just another element of FUD on your part.

[deletia]

        One common example is printers. If your printer isn't a cheap
        piece of shit it will more than likely support a standard
        printer language and be quite supportable under Linux.

        Even if it is a cheap piece of shit it might be. Depending on your
        system you will simply have to be aware of what you're buying. This
        is especially true as "legacy free" systems being to propagate making
        "legacy hardware" a compatibility minefield for the novice.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:50:59 GMT

Madrake has this automount application that is supposed to take care
of that automatically, when running audio CD's.

If you were correct, why does it work sometimes?

Linsux, is full of bugs.....

------------------------------

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I had a reality check today :(
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:52:11 GMT

Tim Palmer wrote:

> Its meeningfall if the only app's avallabal in LIE-nux are slow as sluje wile
>Windo's comes with fast
> versions out of the boxs.

Good lord, if windows apps are your idea of fast... I'd hate to see
slow.

BTW, were you trying to say sludge there? (sluje).

Hey, anyone out there write a 'Tim Palmer-izer' yet, like the old text
to jive program?

--
Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc.
Newspaper Editor: "We're looking for a new food critic, someone who

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:54:59 GMT

They made sure that the wind could pass between the girders so that
the force didn't cause the bridge to torsion.

Seems pretty obvious to me :)  :)

They are both suspension bridges..

BTW my dad was one of the mechanical engineers who worked on the NYC
Verrezano bridge. He has some wonderful stories to tell about the
construction :)

I simply pointed out that the Verrezano was in NYC not Tacoma..

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:55:19 GMT

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:46:43 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>FUD...
>
>They ouldn't sell one copy of the card if it was not supported by
>Windows 98....
>
>Win2k is another issue, it is aimed at biz users....Not gamers...

        ...yeah, home users don't care about their data anyways...

        Who cares if some joker gets disconnected in the middle of
        his Everquest session anyways...

[deletia]
>On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:36:29 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>

>>      This would be a classical case of "buying random hardware at
>>      compusa" biting you in the but regardless of what OS you're
>>      running.

        Besides, my criticism is just as valid for Win98SE itself.
        The V5 is simply a lesser performer. While it's certainly
        not quite at the bottom of the heap, it's hardly the card
        of choice either.

        It's not the card you would expect the common novice to
        have in their system or the power gamer.

        It is however the perfect, just released, sort of card to
        demonstrate an artificial compatibility point with.

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I hope you trolls are happy...
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:56:43 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> UNIX systems typically do not cope well with the power being interrupted.
> As they cache all files, and don't write changes out immediately, there is
> a danger of losing change.

As if windows doesn't.  If you're going to compare NTFS, then compare it
to something similar like Reiser.

--
Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc.
If Microsoft made cars instead of software, you could only have one

------------------------------

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:58:22 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Are ext2fs and the bog standard fs's on Linux journaling? Are they
> resistant to power outages?

I've personally _never_ lost a file on Linux, HP, or Solaris boxes due
to power loss (only due to user error).  I've been running Linux boxes
at home since 1.2.13 become the stable kernel.

Can't say the same for windows and/or DOS.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:57:08 GMT

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 23:50:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Madrake has this automount application that is supposed to take care
>of that automatically, when running audio CD's.

        ...actually, you don't mount audio discs at all.

[deletia]

        Mebbe the next time I'm ripping a disc I'll play around
        with xmms just to try and break it...

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 5 Jul 2000 20:00:22 -0500

On 22 Jun 2000 08:08:59 GMT, Ray Chason
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>Anyway, I went to CompUSA, Staples, Electronic City and several local
>>places, the kind of places I would avoid like the plague on my quest
>>and here is what I found.
>>
>>1. Win Hardware is EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!
>>     Motherboards have built in modems, Ethernet, SoundChips, video
>>and so forth. Much of this is Win hardware.
>>
>>2. The included printer is usually some POS Win printer. Same for
>>scanner and USB devices are sometimes included as well.
>>
>>3. The operating system is always Win 98SE and no credit is given for
>>not getting it.
>>
>>4. Internet bundles (you are hostage to Compu$erve for 3 years) are
>>typically used to lower price.
>>
>>5. You get a bunch of low priced software and nothing of real
>>substance. The exception was MS Works which is pretty decent.
>>

>>The iMac is starting to look better all the time :)
>>
>>Anyway, my point is that this is the typical way that a user buys a
>>computer. They are not like you and me who build our own, they walk
>>into a chain store and buy what seems, to them, to be the best value.
>>
>>My question is, how is Linux going to realistically overcome this?
>
>In summary, Linux enthusiasts must focus on the fights we can win, and
>forget about the fights we can't.

In other werds: CommyLie-nuts must forgette about trying to inslave Windo's
users with tiping commands
in CommyLie-nux and axcept that Windo's is what peepal want.

>I think it was Sun Tzu (_The Art of
>War_) who counseled generals to force the enemy onto ground of one's own
>choosing and not the enemy's choosing.
>
>On points 1 and 2 (WinHardware):
>
>   - Winmodems are Microsoft's turf and probably a losing fight for Linux.
>     Reverse engineering is right out, because recent (read: useful) modem
>     protocols are patented to hell and gone, and writing an open source
>     Winmodem driver is likely to bring a lawsuit.  (IANAL of course.)
>
>     Your safest bet, at present, is an external, serial-interface modem.
>     Most but not all ISA-bus modems still work, though you may need to
>     learn the isapnptools.  The forthcoming 2.4 kernel will support USB;
>     that will help on a number of fronts.
>
>     OTOH, a couple of weeks ago I saw a modem on the shelf of Best Buy
>     whose box specifically said it was controller-based.  (It was ISA bus
>     IIRC.)  It is rumored among the gaming crowd that controller-based
>     modems lead to better scores.  So a decent demand for non-Win internal
>     modems may continue.
>
>   - Inexpensive non-Win printers *do* exist.  The Printing-HOWTO has an
>     (incomplete) list of printers that are known to work, known to mostly
>     work, known to partially work, and known not to work.
>
>     I use an HP Deskjet 612C which I got at Best Buy for $100; I certainly
>     wouldn't recommend it for heavy use, but for occasional correspondence
>     it does the job.  With Linux.  Fully supported.
>
>   - I don't understand how one would build a Win-Ethernet card -- or why,
>     given Linux's popularity as a server platform.
>
>   - I don't really know the current situation for video; mine works, but
>     it's a rather old card.  I know Voodoo-based cards work, and nVidia;
>     anyone want to fill in the blanks for other currently-available
>     hardware.
>
>   Perhaps the first thing needed is a Hardware-Compatibility-HOWTO.

It won't healp LIE-nux anny. Nobuddy want's to reed HOWTO after HOWTO after HOWTO. You
alreddy have
users reeding TOO HOWTO's PLUS the ones they alreddy half toreed to get the rest of
CommyLie-nux working.

>Point 3 (Win 98 preloaded) is one that we really can't do anything about.
>
>Point 4 (MSN owns your @$$ for 3 years for $400) is perhaps best countered
>by pointing out what it really involves.  You get $400 off your computer,
>but then you pay $22/mo for 3 years to MSN.  Do the math; it's not such a
>hot deal, especially if you prefer AOL or a real ISP.
>
>Point 5 (cheap bundled software) is one I think Linux has quite well
>covered. :-)

 ...accept LIE-nux software really is CHEEP, wile Window's software kick's ass.

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CommyLinux vs Microsoft (was: Re: Windows98)
Date: 5 Jul 2000 20:00:32 -0500

On 4 Jul 2000 21:11:31 GMT, Ray Chason
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Now, people hope that by bringing up the word Communist in connection
>>with Linux it will remind people of all the fear the US citizenry went
>>through during the cold war, and the missile crisis and all of that,
>>rather than try to actually look at Linux as a technical work.  Perfect
>>FUD tactics, cloud the real issue with fears (which were themselves
>>based on clouded issues of thier day) and uncertainties about something
>>completely unrelated.
>
>Those who use "Communist" as a pejorative really mean "Stalinist."

Thear goze LIE-nut simmantic mode aggen just like Symon sed.

>Stalinism is a system in which a single entity controls all industry, and
>you get to work and you get to eat only if it's OK by that single entity.
>
>A monopoly.
>
>Now, between Linus and Bill, who's the Stalinist?

Linux is the Commy.
Bill is the cappitleist.

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Another CommyLie-nux Commy expoased! (was: Re: Richard Stallman's
Politics (was: Linux is awesome!)
Date: 5 Jul 2000 20:00:42 -0500

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000 23:24:41 +0200, Stefaan A Eeckels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Tim Palmer wrote:

>BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>> All commy's are bastards because they want to take over the werld
>>
>>> and rual us all with an iren fist.
>>
>> Tim?
>>
>> Obviously your not working for Microsoft or Bill would have fired you by now.
>> But you are deswading the Microsoft paid Wintrolls from doing their job
>> here and now.  And if they are not allowed to represent Bill Gates as he
>> paid for them, then Bill's going to get mad.
>>
>> Then the next thing you know is a couple of guys will show up at your
>> door, with blue&white sheets on their heads.  And they're going to burn
>> a copy of Windows 95 on your front lawn Tim.
>>
>> So Tim,
>> You be a big boy now and let use Linux advocates do battle with
>> the large farce known as Microsoft.
>>
>> You all be good no you hear.
>
>DIs to enform yall that reeding thes posds induece speling problams.
>Reid at yer on risk......youve bin warnt!!!!!!

Oh pleze.

------------------------------

From: Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: 5 Jul 2000 20:00:52 -0500

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000 23:24:08 +0100, Alex DeLarge
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Why is it that all you LIE-nux nuts alwase clame that Windo's crashes all
>the time when its not trew?
>
>I don't find that windows crashes all the time, in fact I use windows for
>lots of things, including this post. But I do know for a fact that it slows
>down over time because of the registry getting bigger. I do know that it's
>memory management is awful (NT's is better but not much, and I've not had a
>chance to test 2K's). I do know that it's TCP/IP stack is absolutely
>diabolical.

Its better than UNIX. On UNIX if your downloading a file you cant evan make new
connectian because of "host name lookup
faleure". Windo's doesn't halve this probelm at al.

>> >Downloading files with my Linux box
>> >is about 66% faster.
>>
>> PPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT. What a nice, rownd number. How long it took
>you to make it up?
>
>This is usually a configuration/driver issue. On winmodems that work on
>linux, in some cases this can be true. On serial modems, it's usually down
>to the serial port driver, or it's to do with different configurations as to
>which os is faster.
>
>> Come across this: Windows 2000. It blo's LIE-nux away It blo's LIE-nux
>away It blo's LIE-nux away
>
>Windows 2000 is hideously bloated. It is much better than NT though. I
>wouldn't count linux out exactly on that. Linux had IP6 support before 2K
>was out, and it still seems to benchmark a lot better than 2K.
>(Incidentally, services on 2K servers are generally slower than on NT -
>things like DNS etc crawl from what I've heard - why?)

Because your trying to run '2K on a 586 in only 64 GB of Meg.

>There's also the big issue you've missed as to why people choose linux over
>doze. Open Source. Open Source isn't free software, it's about making the
>source availabe. You know that there aren't any NSA keys in the registry,
>you know there aren't any hidden 'undocumented features' like the one that
>sends your hardware details to microsoft.com when you connect to the
>internet.

Noboddy cares about Open Sores. Its just an ikscuse for "i calnt rite good softwere
here are my open sores plese fix it for me."

------------------------------

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 00:05:34 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>         I've horribly abused ext2fs to no ill effect.

Hell, I've horribly abused ext2fs on software RAID5 arrays to no ill
effect.  Well, unless the long rebuild is counted as an ill effect.. but
the fs is usable while the rebuild happens. :)

--
Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc.
UNIX - live it,love it,fork() it !