From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft .Net
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:14:00 GMT

> Aravind Sadagopan wrote:
> > They a relying heavily on XML backend  to facilitate sharing among
> > different people. Is that what its all about.?
>
> Sounds 'bout right.  All data encoded in XML, transfered via
> XML-encoded COM. All data able to be presented via the same
> engine (XSL et al).  Stored in a big backend so you can get at
> it from everywhere.  Reasonable idea if they can pull it off
> (it's Microsoft, they'll mess it up somehow).  One trick would
> be to make it easy to construct XML processing filters a la Unix
> linear text filters.  Dealing with tree like (even graph-like if
> you want to follow the links) structures is much harder. XSL
> provides a general framework for this but it is too much for
> many uses.

You forgot one little detail.  In MICROSOFT's XML, ActiveX controls
can be embedded inline and forced into a machine without the user's
consent.  This encourages the use of Microsoft Office 2000 document
formats saved in MICROSOFT's XML.

The XML standards group is pushing for Open standards such as OpenGL,
VRML, MPEG, MP3, GIF, JPEG, and so on.  Microsoft is pushing for their
proprietary protocols and formats as "embedded standards" or "defacto
standard extensions".  This goes back to Microsoft's belief that since
they control 500 million machines, they have the right to set any
standard they feel like setting and don't have to tell ANYONE,
including their own customers, what those standards are, what risks
may be associated with them (is .exe a self-extracting zip or the
self replicating virus from hell).

Already many administrators are filttering pages, blocking access
to Verisign (providing their own signature authorities instead),
and purging mail containing .exe and .vbs extensions.  Microsoft
released a truly secure patch that plugs ALL the holes, including
refusal to accept Microsoft Office documents (known to be capable
of carrying hidden macroviruses).

Originally, the patch was intended as a way to get itself off the hook,
and to prove to customers that security was "impossible", but the
patch actually does work quite well, and many administrators have
adopted the patch.

> Of course they'll make up more acronyms to cloud the whole thing.

And find more ways to subvert security systems, firewalls, and
filters by getting the workstation to establish the breach on
Microsoft's behalf (those all-important antipiracy measures you know).
And of course, if they just happen to spot some critical business
strategy or technical innovation marked confidential, they can't
help it if one of their people just happened to past the unmarked
portion of the document into the Microsoft archives and libraries.

> Or better yet, steal other people's acronyms and change the
> meaning - DNS, "X" in everything - it reduces the strength of the
> existing names in people's minds and after sufficient exposure
> people associate the old names with mimickry. But I digress.

Of course.  Look at some of the Windows 2000 innovations:
   Microsoft Transaction Services - not a transaction monitor,
   essentially a "fork" based on apartment threading.

   Microsoft Message Queue - while both MQSeries and MSMQ were
   written by, and supported by Level 8, MSMQ is more like MQClient
   based on COM/DCOM than MQSeries with it's persistant queues,
   security, routing, and clustering capabilities.  It's like calling
   a Moped a Sports Car.

   Microsoft Security services - the name would indicate that it is
   similar to the Pluggable Authentication Modules of Linux that offer
   5 different levels and types of security ranging from simple
   passwords to Kerberos and X.500 certificates.

   Microsoft Directory Services - supposedly LDAP, but lacking most
   of the industry standard features, loaded with proprietary
   extensions, and not being used to it's full advantags.  Security
   using this technology is like putting the fox in charge of the
   hen house.

> ----
Rex Ballard - Open Source Advocate, Internet
I/T Architect, MIS Director
http://www.open4success.com
Linux - 90 million satisfied users worldwide
and growing at over 5%/month!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steinberg)
Subject: Re: Running Linsux on a Compaq?  Good luck!!!
Date: 6 Jul 2000 17:22:09 GMT

Nathaniel Jay Lee ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: This is rather odd.  If the guy is an advocate why did he state that he
: bought from the one company he knows sucks at Linux support (which is
: even odder when you consider how Compaq has jumped on the Linux wagon)?
: In his article he says he bought a Compaq, then he says that he knows
: Linux has real troubles with Compaq hardware.  I would say by his
: methods that he is a Window advocate.  Although, he did manage to get it
: working in the end, which makes me wonder...

Why assume he's advocating at all?

Perhaps he figures his target audience consists of people who want to run
Linux but need advice about how/where to run it.  He is advising this
audence not to use Compaq hardware to run Linux.

The fact that he doesn't conclude, based on his negative experience with
this hardware and Linux, that Linux "sucks" separates him from the trolls
that post here.  Clearly, he has enough experience with Linux on other
hardware to know that's not true.  Instead, he draws the reasonable
conclusion that using Linux with that particular hardware isn't easy.  His
readers learn that they should avoid that hardware if they want to run
Linux.

(I think his message and his intentions are clear from the article,
regardless of the FUD-spin that Simon/Steve/Heather/etc. puts on it.)

--
David Steinberg                             -o)
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC         / \

------------------------------

From: unicat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: A cute linux song
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 13:18:01 -0400

Here's one for you to enjoy:

Tux the Linux Penguin
(sung to the tune of "Puff the magic dragon")

Tux, the Linux penguin, was written in "C"
And Linus made him open-source, so that we could have him free.

Little Billy Gatesy, he hated that penguin Tux
And called him hacked and unsupported, and other nasty stuff.
(chorus)

Together they did struggle and the customers pursue
Billy kept his lawyers riled, but there was nought that they could do
Developers and coders would rally where'ere Tux came
And Pirate hackers would raise their beers when Tux roared out his name
(chorus)

Now UNIX lives forever, but not so Microsoft
As models of bad behavior, Judge Jackson held them aloft
Their employees they did bail out, the stock price fell like stone
And mean old Billy Gatesy was left standing all alone
(chorus)

Billy's head was hung in sorrow, the customers came no more
And nobody would listen when next-gen windows he did roar
Now gloating was a temptation, but this did not suit Tux
He showed Billy how to play nice, by porting Office to Linux
(chorus)

(c)Copyright 2000 by Unicat
These lyrics are copyrighted to keep anyone else
from Copyrighting them. You may freely distribute or
reproduce these lyrics in any form you want
as long as you preserve this notice.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linux code going down hill
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:31:52 GMT

On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:06:19 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Nic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Paul Wilson wrote:
>> >
>> > Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>> > <snip>
>> >
>> > No. Hell, it doesn't even ship with something as basic as 'top'.
>>
>> As I've long maintained, the best thing to do when faced with a fresh
>> Solaris installation is to install prep.ai.mit.edu on it (ie.
>> ftp.gnu.org).
>>
>> Solaris has some really neat features, but I find the default install
>> very uncomfortable to work in.
>
>The utilities that come with an operating system really have
>nothing to do with its quality and only a bad administrator would
>pick one on that basis.
>
>It Doesn't really matter since Solaris8 includes all the popular
>used GNU utilities (including gcc), some non-gnu utilities (like
>perl), and StarOffice.  Check here for the list:
>
>http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/binaries/package.html.
>
>One top of that, you get a 64-bit operating system, a dynamic

        ...and a 32bit architecture. You can get both 64bit
        hardware and 64bit Linux if you are hard pressed.

>kernel (no more kernel compiling and reboots), CDE (Extra $50 for

        ...of limited use on clone class hardware actually.

>Linux), Disksuite, an and Oracle 8i CD.  XFree86 also works quite

        CD isn't noteworthy. Meanwhile you can get Motif gratis in
        source form for Linux. If you want Oracle 8i for Linux x86
        you can just download it yourself.

>well if you're using an Intel box with an odd video card.

        If you want to run Solaris you're much better off doing it
        on sparc where it is fully supported and not just an after
        thought. There it will certainly scale quite nicely.

--

        It only takes a little bit of bad luck to negate the whole benefit
        of "runs everything" for a particualar end user.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Linux lags behind Windows
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:38:06 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, sandrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote on Wed, 05 Jul 2000 21:12:54 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>simple [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> You'd love Linsux.
>>
>> Try it sometime....
>
>What`s Linsux???? a ms ripoff from Linux?  Only ms could break something
>like Linux.

"Linsux" is a term used to deride Linux, much like "Windoze",
"Losedoze", "Winsucks", "WinDOS", and "LoseDOS" are used to
deride Microsoft Windows, and "Megalosoft", "M$", "Microshaft",
"Microslop", or "Monopolysoft" are used to deride Microsoft.
I've also seen the term "Open Sores" (open source) used on occasion.

I'll leave it to the interested reader as to who uses what terms. :-)

AFAIK, Microsoft has made no noises regarding entering the Linux market;
they may even be enjoined from doing so by a court injunction (which
was intended to protect SCO Xenix or Unix).  Or they may not; it might
have expired by now.

>I run Linux, versions:
>       Redhat 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2.
>       Suse 6.2, 6.3, 6.4.
>       TurboLinux Server 6.01
>       TurboLinux Workstation 6.01.
>on as many machines.  That would be 11 machines if you can`t count.

That's slightly unusual...are you a tester of some sort? :-)

>Notice no windows. Windows are only good when cut into walls, otherwise
>windows are of no value.

Debatable, although it's clear that Microsoft Windows has many problems.
But it's far from valueless.  It's simply that Linux has more. :-)

>--
>Linux verses windows is a NO-WIN situation.

Also debatable, although it depends in part on what one's coworkers
are using.  Ideally, they would cooperate nicely. :-)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- and here at work, they do talk to each other :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:38:49 GMT

I just bought my daughter an iMac last week and it supports all of my
Windows PC USB hardware perfectly. I didn't by the hardware or the
iMac with that in mind, it just happened to work that way.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (I R A Darth Aggie)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner?
Date: 6 Jul 2000 17:35:52 GMT

On 5 Jul 2000 20:00:52 -0500,
Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
+ On Tue, 4 Jul 2000 23:24:08 +0100, Alex DeLarge
+<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

+ >chance to test 2K's). I do know that it's TCP/IP stack is absolutely
+ >diabolical.

+ Its better than UNIX. On UNIX if your downloading a file you cant
+ evan make new connectian because of "host name lookup
+ faleure". Windo's doesn't halve this probelm at al.

Out of curiousity, what color is the sky in your world? In mine, it's
blue, and not only can I have as many connections as I have memory
to support, I also am a caching name server:

% nslookup
Default Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

I suspect your sky is colored "trollish", isn't it?

James
The Bill of Rights is paid in Responsibilities - Jean McGuire
To cure your perl CGI problems, please look at:
<url:http://www.perl.com/CPAN/doc/FAQs/cgi/idiots-guide.html>

------------------------------

From: John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 12:40:34 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >You continue to beg the issue that it is the encumberances (and those
> >are explicit) that make the GPL non-free.  If you agree that there
>
>         Encumberances are simply an element freedom versus anarchy
>         that that deteriorates into despotism.

Moral justifications that only justify the license in it's own right,
but don't justify the lie about the license being free.

> >are encumberances AND if you claim that the GPL is free, then there
> >is either a mental problem or deception.  I suggest that the latter
>
>         Nope, I just have a less simplistic notion of free.

More accurately: You have a less complete, accurate (or honest)
notion of free.  Otherwise, you define 'free' BY the GPL, and not
the other way around.

> >is more likely.  (This is NOT a fallacy of a false choice, so no
> >game playing there.  My statement is so true as to be logically
> >complete, with no GPL (Clinton) spin flexibility.)
>
>         No, the world is simply less simplistic than you make it out to be.
>         "Free" doesn't strictly mean gratis nor does it strictly mean
>         posessing the ability to completely run amok and abuse everyone.

GPL-free isn't free software.  You apply your own judgement that
justifies
the license, but doesn't justify the license as being a free license.
By
destroying the meaning and intention of the language, you distroy
communication.

>         No freedom exists without restriction imposed either by a coercive
>         central power or by the conscience of the citizen. The freedom of
>         my will is not absolute. Otherwise someone else's freedom would end
>         up diminished in the end.

Nice speech, but begs the issue.

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:41:51 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Bobby D. Bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote on Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:53:53 -0500 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Pete Goodwin wrote:
>
>> So now I have a console only Linux system. End of evaluation.
>
>That's further than we got trying to evaluate Windows on our S/390.

Even considering that sort of thing makes my mind boggle... :-)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- Windows.  Multi-user (1), Multi-platform (1),
                    Multi-tasking (1).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: A cute linux song
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:42:44 GMT

It's a fsking cult I tell you.......

Now they have their own theme song.....

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: [OT] intuitive (was Re: Hardware: ideal budget Linux box? (Re: I'm
Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm not   ready.))
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 00:08:28 +0200

It was the Tue, 04 Jul 2000 15:33:54 -0400...
...and Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Emacs *used* to confuse me.  Then I learnt a bit of
> > elisp and wrote code to make it behave normally (i.e.,
> > the way I expect editors to behave -- ESPECIALLY in
> > the cursor movement department) and now it's great.
>
> Just what everyone needs, an editor where nothing works the
> way you expect it to.

There's a simple M-x customize checkbox to make Emacs "mimick PC-like
behaviour" or such. This helped me.

Nowadays I get confused with the default setup where "End" jumps to
the end of the buffer instead of the end of the line...

mawa
--
WMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMW
MWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWPSYCHEDELICWMPATTERNSWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWM

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: LIE-nux is SUPPOST to destroy data (was: Re: This is a Troll, do  not
resond (was Re: Linux is junk))
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 00:00:28 +0200

It was the 3 Jul 2000 20:08:06 -0500...
...and Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>Linux is a competantly built multi-user, multi-tasking OS.
> >
> >Then why does it have so many problems?
>
> Because there is so much to it - and you are doing odd things with
> it.  You'd spend many thousands of dollars putting together the
> equivalent functionality on commercial systems and since it would
> come in dozens of different packages you would expect to spend some
> time configuring each package correctly and making it all work
> together on your particular machine.   Since it's free and all
> together on a couple of CD's, you seem to think it should be simple
> as a result, but there is no reason it should be simpler than
> all those individual packages.

Indeed, multi-CD Linux distributions such as SuSE Linux 6.4, which
ships on five CDs IIRC, might be the most complex end-user software
products that ever shipped -- where "end-user" means that it's
supposed to work without a Somehow Certified Engineer working on it
for a week or two to get it all set up.

(I.e. I know that SAP R/3 ships on something like 27 CDs, but SAP is
nothing you pop into your server cluster's CD jukebox and expect to
work after running an eight-step installation wizard.)

mawa
--
I am willing to love all mankind, except an American.
                                                        -- Sam Johnson

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: We WANT different enviroments (Was: Linux, easy to use?
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 00:05:20 +0200

It was the 4 Jul 2000 13:03:52 GMT...
...and Donal K. Fellows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It came from Mac-land (though the modifier key is called something
> different there) and it has two things going for it.  First, the keys
> are mnemonic (well, C for copy is mnemonic, and X (for cut) sort of
> looks mnemonic, but V for paste, and Z for undo?  Hmm...)

Of course they used the pictogram value of the letters :)

X is for cut because it looks like a pair of scissors. V is for paste
because it looks like a tube of glue... or maybe like a funnel that
pours text into the buffer. Well, I use the funnel metaphor to
remember it.

mawa
--
I think the OS market will rather be like the Maglite market than the
Ford market.

------------------------------

From: "Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 13:57:15 -0400

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> It's a fsking cult I tell you.......
>
> Now they have their own theme song.....

And lets all hope that they are better codewriters than lyricists!

--
Nik Simpson

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 18:00:40 GMT

Personal opinion is that IF Microsoft entered the Linux market, it
would be a disaster for everyone.

With the exception of Windows itself, I don't run any Microsoft
applications and I suspect that accounts for the stability of my
system.