Linux-Advocacy Digest #518, Volume #27            Fri, 7 Jul 00 14:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: ## HOT ## Microsoft software for Linux (CyberSurfer)
  Re: ## HOT ## Microsoft software for Linux (CyberSurfer)
  Re: offering escape, Re: Three things not to say to spam victims... (Cameron L.
Spitzer)
  Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome! (Hyman Rosen)
  Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome! (Hyman Rosen)
  Re: Linux is just plain awful (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
  Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome! (Hyman Rosen)
  Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome! (Hyman Rosen)
  Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome! (Hyman Rosen)
  Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome! (Hyman Rosen)
  Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome! (Hyman Rosen)
  Re: Linux is just plain awful (Cihl)
  Re: Linux is just plain awful (Cihl)
  Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome! (Hyman Rosen)
  Re: Linux is just plain awful (Cihl)
  Re: Linux lags behind Windows (Cihl)
  NEW! Microsoft NetSpeed Tool for Linux V2 (CyberSurfer)
  Re: So where ARE all of these supposed Linux users? (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner? (Paul E. Larson)
  Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
  Re: I hope you trolls are happy... (John Sanders)
  Re: I hope you trolls are happy... (John Sanders)
  Re: Trying Linux yet again.... (John Sanders)
  Re: Trying Linux yet again.... (John Sanders)
  Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome! (Leslie Mikesell)

From: CyberSurfer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.best,alt.linux.sucks,be.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: ## HOT ## Microsoft software for Linux
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:13:24 +0200

Lincoln Peters wrote:

> I don't know if there is any point in saying this, but in the original
> post, I saw E=MC2.  However, in this post, I saw E=mc2.  It doesn't
> look like a problem with extended characters, but maybe was a typo.
> The best way to say it is probably E=M*C^2.  That doesn't involve any
> special characters and works almost anywhere.
>
> Anyway, what does this program do?  Are you sure that it's made by
> Microsoft rather than a clone of a Microsoft product?  Is it as
> (un)reliable as Microsoft software usually is?

Try it out yourself....download attatch (first post) then
> #chmod 777 mntt.sh   > # ./mntt

No i'm not sure if Microsoft made it :-)))
Good luck! You will need it!

Graphic version coming soon!

--

CyberSurfer / Singularity
In a dark room full of windows the Tux said: "E=mc˛", and there was light

------------------------------

From: CyberSurfer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.best,alt.linux.sucks,be.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:16:17 +0200

Atanas Kolev wrote:

> This is not the only Microsoft program for Linux.
> For a long time exists Microsoft Netshow (like realplayer) for Linux - check
> the microsoft site.

Are you serious???
My god...how to proceed with this guy!!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Crossposted-To: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Subject: Re: offering escape, Re: Three things not to say to spam victims...
Date: 7 Jul 2000 15:49:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Steve Sobol wrote:
>From 'Cameron L. Spitzer':
>
>>It is very difficult to keep that an educational exercise, but if you
>>can do that the results are extraordinary.
>>
>>I brought a bag of diskettes to the ASGP convention (we nominated
>>Ralph Nader for president of the US) last month, Debian GNU/Linux 2.1r5
>>Rescue Disk.
>
>[snip]
>
>May I have permission to quote this on my personal web site and on my
>Linux user group's mailing list?

"This idea is not patented.  Use it any way you see fit."  --  Ralph Nader
Go for it.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: Hyman Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: 07 Jul 2000 12:30:26 -0400

Austin Ziegler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Nobody's ever given that definition of `free software'.  Free software
> > is software which its users are allowed use, copy, modify and
> > redistribute.  For more detailed definitions, see
>
> Sorry, but that's precisely what the GPL does.

No, it does not. Do you care to attempt to quote the GPL in order
to demonstrate why you think it does?

------------------------------

From: Hyman Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 07 Jul 2000 12:33:03 -0400

John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Frankly those who claim that the GPL is free AND want to encumber
> redistribution of work that others do ARE repugnent.

That work that others have done is voluntarily encumbered, since
they chose to use the GPLed code. Why is it repugnant to decide
that for yourself?

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is just plain awful
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 11:33:08 -0500

Susan and Willy Wong wrote:
> Most people returning Linux seem to be in very foul moods for some reason
> or another so the data may be skewed a little.
>
> Here are the results of 11 months of questioning people:
>
> 72 percent said Linux sucks. Various reason given, hardware support and
> old style looking applications lead the list. Written by a bunch of nerds
> is a common comment.
>
> 11 percent said they could not install it.
>
> 7 percent said Windows has more applications.
>
> 6 percent said they were going to sue us.
>
> 4 percent said they didn't have the time to learn it.

Notice how these numbers look exactly the same as some of
Steve/Simon/Mike/etc's other aliase's "POLLS".  Like the trade show poll
a while back.  Making up numbers, and using a fake alias doesn't really
convince us all that much anymore.  I do happen to notice at the local
Best Buy that they can't seem to keep the latest versions of SuSE,
Mandrake, Calder, or Red Hat on the shelves.  Somebody is buying it.
And believe me, in BestBuy if it gets returned it goes right back out on
the shelf with a "returned" sticker on it.  I have yet to see that on
any Linux box there.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: Hyman Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 07 Jul 2000 12:44:00 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
> The LGPL does not have this problem.  Nor the one
> I mentioned.  But it doesn't serve the political
> agenda of the FSF - the point of the GPL really *is*
> to control and usurp the works of others.

Of course this is a lie. The point of the GPL is to encourage
the development of free software. This is done by preventing
GPLed code from being used in non-free software, so that the
developers of free software have a better base from which to
develop their own software than the developers of non-free
software. The idea is to tempt the non-free developers with a
large set of wheels that they would need to reinvent, in the
hope that they come over to the free side.

As it happens, the legal machinery needed to enforce this can
make it difficult to merge GPLed code with code that is free
but not GPL-compatible. In that case, clause 10 of the GPL
encourages contacting the copyright holder to work out an
alternate arrangement.

------------------------------

From: Hyman Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 07 Jul 2000 12:46:48 -0400

John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> The inconsistancy is that claiming that the software is 'free' and then
> adding restrictions on it's use (or reuse) partially by explicitly
> enucumbering future work by others is very inconsistant.

No more so than the restrictions applied to other things which are "free".

------------------------------

From: Hyman Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 07 Jul 2000 13:00:22 -0400

John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> You are a master of circular reasoning :-).  That, of course, doesn't
> require intellect, because it is easy to be circular.
>
> You are certainly choosing an easy short-term route, but I fear for
> your future in honest dealings with people.  Eventually, when the
> rubber meets the road, you have to deal in fact, rather than virtual,
> contrived reality.  You will be in for an unfortunately painful
> awakening.
>
> Please refer to reality, and you will really be able to deal with
> me better.  Sorry, I am stuck in the real world, and cannot grok
> extreme disassociative thinking.

In the reality I inhabit, the word "free" is used in many contexts
where restrictions are imposed on the free thing, and yet the use
of the word "free" is accepted without dispute. Examples are free
parking, free speech, free elections, and free love. The GPL offers
a set of freedoms on the code to which it is applied, and imposes a
set of restrictions as well. The freedoms offered are broad enough
so that it is reasonable to call GPLed code free software even though
the restrictions exist.

I understand that you feel that the restrictions imposed by the GPL
are so onerous that GPLed code should not be called free software.
But you should still be able to understand that people who do not
feel as you do are not necessarily kanves or fools.

I fail to see anything dishonest, short term, circular, or unreal in
what I have written. I fear that you are attempting to attack me
instead of my argument, perhaps because you have realized that I am
right.

------------------------------

From: Hyman Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 07 Jul 2000 13:07:46 -0400

John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I suspect that you might be mislead...  They do expect their
> audience to be simpletons -- otherwise the myth of the
> software being free wouldn't have lasted...  It is a
> sad commentary on those who cannot critically think, but
> have a serial nature to their thought.

What a classic sour grapes statement! Having failed to convince
anyone of your views, you attempt to justify your failure by
calling those people simpletons and incapable of critcal thought.

It's obvious that the inside of your brain must be green, or you
would never stoop to such a claim.

------------------------------

From: Hyman Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 07 Jul 2000 13:13:33 -0400

John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > No it doesn't it. It grants lots of freedom to a particular group, and
> > grants less freedom to another.
> >
> And as such, you make the software non-free.

No, it is free but with restrictions, as so many other things are.

> > Both groups can do more with the code
> > then they could if it was not licensed at all.
> >
> Not true, the GPL has redistribution encumberances.  Without those
> encumberances, the users and other developers and do more with the
> software.

"Not licensed at all" means that it would fall under normal copyright
restrictions, so that it would be completely encumbered. He didn't
mean "public domain".

------------------------------

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 17:13:24 GMT

Looks like Simon777/Heather69/Whatever is posting for entertainment
purposes again. Please skip this thread, it's not serious.

-- =

=A8I live!=A8
=A8I hunger!=A8
=A8Run, coward!=A8
               -- The Sinistar

------------------------------

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 17:15:11 GMT

WARNING!!! Don't feed the trolls!

-- =

=A8I live!=A8
=A8I hunger!=A8
=A8Run, coward!=A8
               -- The Sinistar

------------------------------

From: Hyman Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 07 Jul 2000 13:17:23 -0400

John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> The problem here is that the GPL keeps the code from being used in free
> software also.  The GPL, not being free, is the issue that is operative.

There is no problem using GPLed and BSDLed code together, for example,
so you are clearly wrong. GPLed code can not be comingled with *some*
other free code, as a consequence of attempting to keep derivatives
free. The would be combiner can attempt to get special permission.

> Morally justify the GPL itself all you want, but continues to beg the
> issue about the GPL just not being free.

It's free but with restrictions, like many other free things.

------------------------------

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 17:18:45 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> =

> Learn to read, Dork.....
> =

> It says "especially  those with Windows 98 SE installed".
> =

> You'd think with all thoses How-To's you dorks have to wade through
> you would have picked up the simple art of reading by now.

Eh??

Windows BSOD's on reading textfiles and HTML-files? Can it be any
worse?

-- =

=A8I live!=A8
=A8I hunger!=A8
=A8Run, coward!=A8
               -- The Sinistar

------------------------------

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux lags behind Windows
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 17:25:36 GMT

> The final resort of the feeble mind. If it doesn't agree with you, SHOU=
> YOUR FOUL MOUTH OF AT IT IN THE HOPE IT'LL GO AWAY.
> =

> Reasoned discourse doesn't even get a look in here. I'm coming to expec=
> this of certain Linux types here. But wait, I thought Cihl was one of t=
he
> more reasonable types here. Boy am I disappointed.
> =

> Pete

Sorry to have disappointed you so much, Pete.

NOT!!! :-)

I only stay reasonable when other people stay reasonable.

-- =

=A8I live!=A8
=A8I hunger!=A8
=A8Run, coward!=A8
               -- The Sinistar

------------------------------

From: CyberSurfer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,be.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.best,alt.os.linux.dailup,aus.computers.linux
Subject: NEW! Microsoft NetSpeed Tool for Linux V2
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 19:34:29 +0200

Woooauuuw...an improved version of the Ultimate Netspeed Tool
for Linux by Microsoft.
Download it here:

http://www.euronet.nl/users/next/tuxlife

note: this program uses an Xwindow!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: So where ARE all of these supposed Linux users?
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 17:41:25 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote on Thu, 06 Jul 2000 21:23:10 GMT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 18:41:31 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>wrote on Thu, 06 Jul 2000 03:06:23 GMT
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>>
>>>     ...or more accurately, everyone who has written a
>>>     concerto (at least one that would survive long enough
>>>     to reach your ears) is a musician.

>>>     That certainly explains the birth of the internet.
>>
>>Actually, I think it does.  The Internet didn't get really big
>>until somebody figured out that it could move from the world
>
>       "really big"
>
>       In what way is the commercial internet any bigger than
>       the DARPA version? Worldwide is worldwide regardless
>       of how many strip malls you might have visible from the
>       highway.

I was thinking of total bandwidth and/or packet traffic;
it's the difference between a big mostly bare field and
a large city built thereon...but you do have a point; the Internet
was a worldwide information network before such became fashionable. :-)

>>of academia (where it was useful, but not profitable) into
>>commerce (where it's somewhat profitable).  I think one could
>>make a case that the WWW (and Mosaic) ultimately made the Internet
>>into the big, friendly mess it is today. :-)
>
>       The web was alive and well long before the commerce hype
>       wave hit actually.

So much for my case. :-)  Oh well, back to my hidey hole... :-)

>[deletia]
>
>       Netscape 1.01 was my 3rd web browser.
>
>--
>
>        It only takes a little bit of bad luck to negate the whole benefit
>        of "runs everything" for a particualar end user.
>                                                              / | \

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul E. Larson)
Subject: Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner?
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 17:39:23 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan
Rebbechi) wrote:
>On Fri, 07 Jul 2000 15:58:58 GMT, Paul E. Larson wrote:
>
>>>Because people who CAN spell don't like Microsloth.
>>>
>>So using the above line as a test. You must like Microsoft!
>
>You've applied the converse, not the above line. Nice try (-;

Unless you know a corporation with the name Microsloth, it is a misspelling
even if it is "supposed" to be derogatory.

Paul

--
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=67063&a=635208 - 1999 Hancock Airshow

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=67063&a=2618171 - National Warplane Museum

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 17:47:18 GMT

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000 01:44:05 GMT, Roger <roger@.> wrote:
>On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 02:01:16 GMT, someone claiming to be jedi wrote:

>>>And how, exactly, does Linux change the jumper settings on an ISA
>>>card?  Source code will do...
>
>>      Linux doesn't. But it will happily use whatever resources you
>>      tell it to. All the other hardware in your system is going to
>>      be taken care of by PCI.
>>
>>      It merely won't second guess the hardware, or the user.
>
>Nor does Windows, if the hardware supports being taken * out * of PnP
>mode.

        This does not occur in actual practice as I have explicitly stated.

[deletia]

        You just chose to make weak excuses.

From: John Sanders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I hope you trolls are happy...
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 12:30:01 -0500

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> And AIX JFS is every UNIX is it? That's one example of a UNIX filing
> system, can the same be said about every other? For instance, ext2fs?
>
> Pete

        I've posted this before.  I'll try again.  I use ext2fs.  I have lost
power while editing a file in vi.  When I reboot, I get the "You have
mail" message.  It's vi telling me I can recover my edits with the -r
command.  I do so, and have lost not data.

        A journaling file system does not mean you don't lose data on a power
loss.  A non-journaling file system does not mean you do lose data on a
power loss.

        Do you know how my data from vi was preserved?  I mean, do you know the
mechanism?  Can you picture a scenario in which you can lose data in a
journaling file system?  Do you know anything?

--
John W. Sanders
===============

------------------------------

From: John Sanders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 12:31:36 -0500

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Well, that's a nice defence against ever paying any attention to me - you
> know, I might actually have a point?
>
> Pete

        Grow some hair on it.  Maybe no one will notice.
--
John W. Sanders
===============

From: John Sanders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trying Linux yet again....
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 12:41:42 -0500

Tim Palmer wrote:

> You half to recompial the kernal a cuppal of times and maibe patch it to. Or
> you can save
> yourself the trubal turn your LIE-nux partitian into a Windo's won and put
> all kinds of
> spifee ap's in it and show off for your frends.

        You've got future in management.
--
John W. Sanders
===============

From: John Sanders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 12:45:26 -0500

Jeff Szarka wrote:

> On 1 Jul 2000 16:58:27 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas) wrote:
>
> >Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >When are you going to learn, jeff?
> >
> >You're too stupid for linux.  Give it up.
> >

> Thanks for proving Linux advocates (for the most part) are a bunch of
> rabid zealots.

        Individuals who state the obvious can not be considered "rabid
zealots".
--
John W. Sanders
===============

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 7 Jul 2000 12:57:33 -0500

In article <8k40g1$nr8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Steve Mading  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>: The LGPL does not have this problem.  Nor the one
>: I mentioned.  But it doesn't serve the political
>: agenda of the FSF - the point of the GPL really *is*
>: to control and usurp the works of others.
>
>Repeating an assertion a dozen times isn't any more convincing
>than simply mentioning it once.

I don't recall mentioning the LGPL recently.

>: Follow the 'philosophy' link from www.fsf.org to:
>: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html
>
>Please save me a little time - has it been changed in the last
>few months?  I'll only bother to read it if it has.

Still looked the same to me.  If you already understand
their philosophy, why are you suggesting otherwise here?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 17:59:19 GMT

On 6 Jul 2000 08:38:55 GMT, Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Chason) wrote in
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>OK, granted, if you insist on the latest k3w1est toys you'll have
>>problems with Linux.  Just answer me this:  why Voodoo 5?  Is there even
>>one game that really needs one, or benefits enough to justify spending
>>US$300 on one?
>
>What's "k3w1est" - coolest? Some kind of character mangling going on here?
>
>Why not Voodoo5? Why not any new hardware that doesn't have a Linux driver

        It's expensive.
        It's a relatively poor performer.
        It's bleeding edge. (a potential problem even for supported OSes)

[deletia]

        Why not the V5?: an artificial situation not meant to actually
        reflect reality (like buying "the cheapest" or buying "the best"
        or buyin the "most popular"), meant only to fail in the manner
        you wish it to fail when perfectly working better alternatives
        are present.

        It's simply FUD.

        You can buy the best performing Windows game cards and have them
        be well supported under Linux despite your artificially staged
        scenario.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:02:30 GMT

On 6 Jul 2000 08:52:12 GMT, Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>     OTOH, Linux will allow you to exploit modern printers, contemporary
>>     3D hardware accelerators, consumer grade video overlay boards, pro
>>     grade video capture boards, network and scsi cards of various
>>     kinds, SCSI and USB peripherals and even the odd DVD decoder or
>>     two.
>
>Like the Voodoo 5 for instance?
>
>Like the USB ZIP 250?
>
>Like the HP USB 4200C scanner?

        One does not need to support a particular bit of hardware for
        any of what I said to be true. That is why your rantings are
        indeed FUD.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:04:15 GMT

On 7 Jul 2000 05:33:11 GMT, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>: Other people half believe it already. They make the assumption that because
>: I favour Windows over Linux, I must be a moron or an idiot, or that I can't
>: read. They causually insult me, call me "shithead" etc.
>
>No, it's not because you favor Windows - it's because you use
>arguments with false premises when explaining why you favor
>Windows.

        Biased for Windows? Get a GeForce.
        Biased for Linux? Get a V3 or GeForce.

        The total sums just don't add up right...