Linux-Advocacy Digest #518, Volume #31           Tue, 16 Jan 01 22:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: you dumb. and lazy.
  Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it    ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: you dumb. and lazy.
  Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes    ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes    ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: Windows 2000 (Bones)
  Re: Open Source & security holes (Bones)
  Re: Poor Linux (mlw)
  Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant. (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant. ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Another World's Fastest Parallel Supercomputer running Linux (mlw)
  Re: Some things are easier in Linux (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Linux is INFERIOR to Windows (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Linux is INFERIOR to Windows (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Why Linux won't get far in Luxembourg's comapanies. ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Linux is INFERIOR to Windows (Charlie Ebert)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: you dumb. and lazy.
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:21:03 -0000

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:51:58 GMT, Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> >No, because under Windows the help files are written, with the
>
>> You are generalizing for a random large collection of
>> individuals.
>>
>> This is assinine and trivially absurd.
>
>No more absurd then denying the general existance of any problems with the
>Linux OS in perputitaty.

        ...which is not what I'm doing.

        I object to assinine attempts at using the sloppiness of
        a particular developer to trash the quality of a completely
        unrelated piece of software.

>> >exception possibly of early beta stuff, but kde and Gnome have been
>> >out for years and the help system is STILL DISMAL...
>>
>> The help system itself is quite adequate. You are essentially
>> lying some more by intentionally confusing the issues present.
>
>The issue seems to be pathetic documentation all around.  Which IS a
>problem, another one which you deny, again...

        Certainly.

        I've seen few microsoft helpfiles that were at all helpful.

        A working help system is nothing without useful content.

>The sad part is that your not very good at catagorical denial.

        I've never like the content in most ms helpfiles, even long
        before you arrrived.

        Although, I at least don't attribute it to the ms help
        system itself. In this respect, I am remarkably more
        gracious than either of you are.

[deletia]
>> Is english your second language? Are you still in elementary school?
>>
>> "doesn't work" != 'document not included'
>
>Arguing grammer is a sad defense at this point.

        When grammar is relevant to meaning then it's not overly
        pedantic anymore.

>> >Could have fooled me looking at the hard drive/CD activity light which
>> >is virtually always on.
>>
>> Bullshit, lying sack of shit.
>
>You've picked up this amazing ability to repeat yourself, over and over
>again, reguardless of the change in circumstances.

        Every other member of this forum that has used Linux
        agrees with me on this point. I'm not merely repeating
        myself here.

---

        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.linux.sucks,alt.linux.slakware
Subject: Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:20:01 -0500

ono wrote:

> > It doesn't have to be VBasic, for me.  However, a VBasic for
> > Linux should be possible -- there's already a
> development/emulator/something
> > for Solaris that allows for the running of Microsoft VBasic;
> > its main problem is calling [D]COM/ActiveX/whatever things.
> And that's the point. The beauty of js,vbs is it's ability to interact with
> the system through COM!

ooooooooooooh!  And next decade, Microsoft might give you a bicycle
without training wheels.

> (you can't even write a decent script-virus with linux)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:22:44 -0000

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:04:07 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:33:43 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>

>>      You are generalizing for a random large collection of
>>      individuals.
>
>No I am saying ANYONE who hunts around a typical Linux system and
>clicks on help will be more than likely be greeted with a message
>along the lines of "Help not Written Yet".
>

>>      This is assinine and trivially absurd.
>
>It sure is considering how long kde and Gnome have been in
>development.

        ...compared to what? 5 years? 10 years? 15 years?

        Compared to what Windows was like 2 years after it's
        inception, GNOME is a bloody masterpiece.

[deletia]

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux.sucks
Subject: Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:31:16 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:942i1f$h1h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > > My expierence as a home PC consultant has shown me that everyone keeps
> porno
> > > on their computers.  EVERYONE.
> >
> > "PC consultant".
> >
> > Say no more.
>
> Except my prior experience as a PC consultant had thought me to be TOLERANT
> of other peoples knowledge classes in regard to computing. I (unlike you)

And yet, in discussions with those of us who have SUPERIOR knowledge
than you, you dismis us as fools.

Your problem is, you've spent so much time dealing with fools that
you think everyone is a fool.

News Flash, Kyle...the majority of people in comp.os.linux.advocacy
have a UNIVERSITY EDUCATION in computer science and/or computer engineering,
including masters' and PhD's.

> understand that most people don't know a hills worth of beans about
> computing, and I tolerate it.

Kyle, you yourself have demonstrated that YOU don't know beans about computing.

Based on your own words, the only thing you "know" is what's written on the
side of card-board boxes at CompUSA.

> I also understand WHY these people clearly prefer Windows & MacOS over,
> well, anything.
>
> I can also understand why Linux will never receive such standing, unless

Must be why there are more Linux/Apache servers on the web than Windows/IIS.

> something dramatic happens (like the LSB enforcing MAJOR, and conservative
> standards on distro's).

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux.sucks
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:32:53 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:22:57 GMT, "Kyle Jacobs" <
> >Except my prior experience as a PC consultant had thought me to be TOLERANT
> >of other peoples knowledge classes in regard to computing. I (unlike you)
> >understand that most people don't know a hills worth of beans about
> >computing, and I tolerate it.
> >
> >I also understand WHY these people clearly prefer Windows & MacOS over,
> >well, anything.
> >
> >I can also understand why Linux will never receive such standing, unless
> >something dramatic happens (like the LSB enforcing MAJOR, and conservative
> >standards on distro's).
> >

> It is known as experience in the field, something that many, not all,
> but many, of the Penguinista's haven't a clue about.

Actually, most of us have 15-30 years of EXPERIENCE....

and it is on the basis of that EXPERIENCE that we consider Linux
to be a worthwhile product, and Windows to be a perenial wanna-be.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bones)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:34:48 GMT

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[snip]

>> I wrote:
>> I always like to go back and leaf through this old hardware manual
>> where they theorized that it would be completely and utterly impossible to
>> move past 28.8kbps on analog modems...

[snip]

>       On some line's 28.8K isn't attainable. Also, 28.8K is pretty
>       near the theoretical upperbound allowed for common copper
>       wiring and US FCC regulations.

Well, I believe V.34 and V.34+ can go over the same wire with the same
signal level. The extra speed is gained by better data compression.
Obviously fitting more data per time unit would result in greater data loss
per time unit if the quality of the line stinks, so it makes sense for the
modems to negotiate a lower speed.

I'm sure that its possible to squeeze more data into an analog phone line
and still keep the signal level where the FCC specifies it should be, but
realistically there isn't a telco on earth that could guarantee a high
enough quality of service to make this beneficial to their customers.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say it that I disagree that 33.6K is the
theoretical upperbound, but agree that it is the practical limit.

----
Bones

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bones)
Subject: Re: Open Source & security holes
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:34:49 GMT

> Charlie Ebert wrote:

[snipped: intra-kernel httpd is bad]

> Just out of curiosity, why?

Because the track record for HTTP server security on all platforms is less
than spectacular. I'm talking about all httpd or equivalent software in
general.

> Can't security with this measure be tested the same
> as other issues reguarding Kernel Security are?

Sure they can, but probably won't be held to the same standard as anything
that sprang from NET4. Http servers are one of those "gee-whiz" items that
must be stuffed to the point of breaking with useless and buggy features.

> Is the mere presence of a Kernel based web server scarry when compared to
> all the other IP related issues the Kernel must be secure in using?

Yeah, that was my argument.

> It's just another thing to test.

Its also another potential target for a DoS attack or an exploit, one which
could bring down the system.

Charlie, this is my opinion. You understand I'm making a judgement based on
things other than intimate knowledge of Tux. If you know something about Tux
that I don't, then post it here for me to eyeball.

----
Bones

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Poor Linux
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:40:35 -0500

Classy Jones wrote:

> Still can't work with UDMA 66 and 100 out the box.

Nor does Windows or NT, so what. They all need a driver.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:42:21 GMT

Said Kyle Jacobs in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:52:45
   [...]
>And Linux users will pay $79, every finantial quarter in purputity for any
>kind of quality.  How many people have RH6.0 retail, and are having problems
>finding 7.0 updates for it?  How many BUGS did RH6.0 have before 6.1 came
>out, then 7?  Sure, it's fine when a Linux company does it.  What a
>convienent double standard.

Its not a double standard.  Just a single consistent standard: compete.
The difference is, its the customers clambering for updates, not the
monopoly trying to force them.  ;-)

Check the analyst's consideration of W2K lately?  The thing is a drug.
In just about every meaning of the term.

>> How many time have you called for support and hear
>> the answer, that will be fixed with the next service
>> pack.
>
>How many times has RedHat support staff just chalked a very serious problem
>in software to "administrator incompetence", and suggest an RHCE for advice?

Well, I would bet never, but it would be mighty hard to prove it.

>> Well!  If I'm paying $350 for the full install for
>> W2k then the last thing I want to hear is it will
>> be FIXED with the next Service pack.
>
>If I'm paying RedHat ANYTHING, let alone any other commercial distro maker,
>the last thing I want to hear is "your dumb", "go away", or "check the
>internet for the latest information..."

RedHat doesn't say that.  Here on COLA we'll tell you that you're dumb,
if your dumb.  But that's the breaks; you kind of deserve it for being
dumb.  Its a self-correcting phenomenon, for most people.  Some get
stuck in their self-rightous ignorance, though, and end up being trolls
for years and years.

>> Now you take this Debian 2.2R2 distro I have.
>> Everything works, the security is excellent, the
>> performance is breathtaking, the cost is $0.
>
>Lucky, cheap you.
>
>> Man, Debian has so much more than Microsoft.
>
>Of course, comparing your debian server to a Windows 98 system is like
>comparing an objective person to, well, yourself.

If that was meant as an insult, it was kind of twisted, somehow.  ;-D

>> The old saying you get what you pay for doesn't
>> apply to GPL'd code.
>
>Yes it does.  Your just to partial to realize it.

Sure it does.  Code is worthless.  Distribution, implementation,
development, and support are where the money's at; always have been.
All the rest are profiteer's illicit returns, not honest profit.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:43:34 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:942mhu$d2h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > > People aren't the enemy moron, they are your co-workers, your BOSS, your
> > > subordinates,
> >
> > But not my collegues.  My collegues are cut from the same praeter-human
> > flesh that I am; we are divine and deserve to be treated as such.
>
> The above warent's this:
>
> You are a pompous jack-ass.

And you, Kyle, are an ignorant piece of shit.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:44:54 GMT

In article <cjR86.79658$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kyle Jacobs wrote:
>"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> Kyle Jacobs wrote:
>> >God forbid business should stop on one of my workstations for *GASP* 3
>SOLID
>> >MINUTES.
>> >
>> >Or I could forgo the rebooting, and replace the OS with something that no
>> >only doesn't need to be rebooted, but will make it unusable for as long
>as
>> >the computer is powered.
>> >

>> Time obviously isn't money in the Windows World.
>>
>> 3 minutes of downtime for a Website collecting orders for your
>> company can be disasterous.
>
>We're talking about workstations here.  I wouldn't trust IIS on ANYTHING
>that even closely classified as "enterprise".  Or do you have another
>definition of "workstation"?
>

>> Or how about 3 minutes downtime in the insurance industry with
>> 1,200 employee's attempting to hit your server for SQL data
>> on insured.
>
>SERVER.  Again, I don't trust Windows for data services, except for file
>sharing.  That's a catagory I have NO choice in. (not that I need one)
>
>> But that's the pity of Windows.  It's not just 3 minutes downtime.
>> It can often be DAYS before your company see's service again.
>
>Only if you reboot your system AND throw it out a window.

Wrong.  Windows poor diagnostic tools in large shops
leads to people litterally UNPLUGGING eithernet cables
to find the problem child.

You are incorrect sir.

>> This is mainly due to Windows total LACK OF TOOLS to monitor
>> your internal networks to determine quickly what the problems
>> are.
>
>You haven't used Windows in a while, have you?

Unfortunately, I use it every day.

>> A simple tools like NTOP in Linux is a totally unheard of tool
>> in the windows world.  I find NTOP undespensible in emergency
>> situations.
>
>I can openly admit I have NO idea what 'ntop' is.

TOP in unix is a systems monitoring tool which provides you
the CPU useage, memory usage, swap usage, usages for all
the processes running and the power to change their
priority levels as they run or just kill them.

NTOP is a neat diagnostic tool which allows you to view
UDP, IP, TCPIP, NETBIOS, SMB and more over your network.
You can view electronic packets comming across your network
and it helps you diagnose system problems and security threats
as well.  It has the ability to park on signals and monitor
them and save the results for analysis later.

And there are just ton's of other very useful tools which
are built into Linux which I find extremely useful for
diagnosis and monitoring of networks.

Even with Microsoft Servers we don't have equivalents in
the microsoft world.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Another World's Fastest Parallel Supercomputer running Linux
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:49:39 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I wonder if they have figured out how to disable DAE on that beast?

Quite frankly, no one believes you. No one can reproduce what you claim
to see, and you haven't yet posted a dump of dmesg for us to see.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Some things are easier in Linux
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:43:54 GMT

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:58:47 GMT, Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>With such an incredibly simple process, why do ISPs refuse point blank
>to support Linux?

Because these big multi-million-user ISP's don't actually employ
technicians on their support lines.  They contract with call centers who
provide bodies to read a script for $7/hour plus the chance to be
promoted to management if they last more than 90 days.

If they supported more than Windows, then they'd need to write and train
another script, which the call center will charge them extra for.  So
they do Windows and maybe the Mac and that's it in order to minimize
their "tech support" costs.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux is INFERIOR to Windows
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:49:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Hasler wrote:
>Charlie Ebert writes:
>> I've used FreeBSD and I have some comments.
>
>> It's license allows for corporations to steal the code and copyright it
>> for their own purposes,...
>
>No it doesn't.

How would you know what Microsoft has already copyrighted under
their own from BSD?  The license clearly allows that now that
they've dropped the disclaimer that Berkley get's credit for
the work.

>> ...thus not contributing back to the base code.
>
>No free software license requires that.

If you build on GPL'ed code you MUST release under GPL license
or you can't use the code.

So GPL'ed software requires you contribute back to the system
or NOT USE THE CODE.

>BTW, much of the software you use every day on Linux is licensed under
>terms similar or identical to those used by FreeBSD.
>--

True.

>John Hasler
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)
>Dancing Horse Hill
>Elmwood, WI

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:43:52 GMT

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:46:47 -0600, Richard Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> We also use OS2200 on the Unisys (formerly Sperry UNIVAC) mainframes,
> which is another very stable operating system used by dozens of large
> companies worldwide.

Does Unisys still make those or are they "legacy"?

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux won't get far in Luxembourg's comapanies.
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:50:18 -0500

Russ Lyttle wrote:

> Tim Smith wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 03:44:53 GMT, Russ Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >Most Americans on this group don't remember the time before Regan when
> > >we had "tax brackets" and had to come up with all kinds of schemes to
> > >avoid the dreaded 110% marginal rate ($1 in extra income resulted in
> > >$1.10 in extra taxes.
> >
> > No American in this group remembers that.
> >
> > --Tim Smith
> I remember working all one December 12 hours a day (to meet a goal on
> the space shuttle) for a net total of $50. There were two problems. The
> max tax rate was 90%. And there were "tax brackets". To make up some
> numbers by way of example, suppose one bracket was $50,001 - $60,000 at
> 30% and %60,001 - $70,000 at 35%. Then on $60,000 you would pay $18,000
> and on $60,001 you would pay $27,000 an increase of $9000 for $1
> increase in income. Reality was much finer grained than that, but there
> was a large spread where delta_tax/delta_income ~= 1.1.
>
> The best thing Ron did was get rid of that system.

For which the Demoncrooks will NEVER forgive him.

> --
> Russ
> <http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>
> Not powered by ActiveX

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:51:55 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Hasler wrote:
>Jedi writes:
>> Two Words: "Windows Sockets"
>
>So what?
>
>1) Using code in compliance with the terms set by the owner of the
>   copyright is not copyright infringement (and copyright infringement is
>   not stealing).

No but they don't have to contribute back to the code base.
Your effort was wasted.

>2) It is impossible to copyright a work already copyrighted by someone
>   else (and attempting to register a fraudulent copyright is a crime).

The BSD license allows for you to copyright code built from BSD based
code and copyright it again.

>3) Copyrighting a derivative has no effect on the rights held by the owners
>   of the original.

True but it provides no benefit either.

>--
>John Hasler