From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 02:03:31 -0500

"Matthew Soltysiak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> > And they STILL can't get file-access right.  There is NO WAY to do a
> > complete backup of a windows machine, because there is no "open file
> > for READING" option.... Thus, any .exe or .dll file that is in use
> > CANNOT BE BACKED UP.

NO WAY huh? I beg to differ.
http://www.powerquest.com/driveimagepro/index.html

I've got Windows 2000 PRO and all installed apps compressed to 60% and
spanning 3 cd's. Restoring is a matter of booting and feeding disks at the
specified prompts.

And give me an example of a .dll file or .exe I can't open for reading. I
just dropped msimn.exe (outlook express) into notepad for viewing while it
is running, I then proceeded to RENAME it while it is running without so
much as a warning prompt without any problems. Windows simply kept msimn.exe
and added the newly named duplicate msimn1.exe to the folder.

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Java?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:08:37 GMT

"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Let's not get into a language war, but I ask the quetion: Why Java.
>
> It is a proprietary API put out by Sun.

It was well designed by Sun and made available for other platforms.

> It is an interpreted language that pretends to be a compiled one, thus
> having all the problems of a compiled one as well as an interpreted one.

What problems do compiled languages have other than non-portability
of the generated code?   Java doesn't have that.  The main problem
with interpreted languages is speed and the pre-compile to bytecode
avoids some of the slowness.

> Lets not argue how wonderful Java is "as a language." Lets discuss Java
> as a development strategy.

What else is there that will run portably as an applet under browsers with
some reasonable security concepts enforced?

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:12:05 GMT

Is Microsoft going to release a Scottish version, Windows Bagpipes :)

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:25:15 +0000

In article <emLU5.81$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, PLZI wrote:

>"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:Z5IU5.25243$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "PLZI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:cFjU5.1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > time to check the protocol definition. Or maybe I should really check the
>> > samba.org, and cross-check what they have to say about the spec, before
>> > continuing debate about what can and can not be done with the published
>> spec.
>>
>> It has to do with the non-standard additions to kerberos that are necessary
>> to correctly interoperate in a win2k domain.   I think the details may
>> even be published, but only available in a package that forces you to
>> agree not to produce an implementation if you read it.  Obviously the
>> samba people are not interested in agreeing to any such thing.  If you
>don't
>> get past the authentication step it doesn't matter if you know how to share
>> files
>> or not.
>
>What? I thought the infamous authorization field debate had nothing to do
>with this? And from what I've gathered, there are few points (spelled out to
>me by MS employee, who was ex-MIT Kerberos Team member), that needs to be
>clarified (over and over again, it seems):
>
>1. The authorization data field is meant to be used for, yes, you guessed it,
>authorization data.
>2. The field in question is defined by company who wishes to use it.
>3. No-one raised a single voice, when IBM used it in their Kerberos.
>4. The MS used authorization data in there - yes, NT group GUIDs.
>5. There is no unix which uses NT Groups.

So, MS wanted to be sure that this would be as unix unfriendly as
possible then?  Looks like monopoly action to me.

>6. Nothing is lost or gained by using fields which are not usable by the very
>nature of the data they contain.
>7. Like, whaaaaaat?
>
>It is not "non-standard". It is used as it is inteded to be used. What the

It is proprietary, it is not an open standard.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is design really that overrated?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:29:15 -0600

"Mig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:9016sf$dlm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > "Mig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8vudi2$t70$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > BTW.. i agree with lots of your arguments.. except that i find KDE2
> > > goodlooking and very stable (Im using Mandrake 7.2 also)
> >
> > Odly enough, I agree.  I'm rather impressed with KDE2 from an asthetic
> > point of view.
>
> Well lets disagree a bit :-)  I just hate that stop sign with the white
> cross.. its complettely  out of order compared with the other nice icons..
> Take a look at the KDE netscape icon or konqueror or kedit icons.. Those
> are beautyfull, "soft" and relaxed icons. Now take a look at the Kmail or
> Knode icons. Not the same style - someone needs to be spanked :-)

I didn't say I was completely happy with it, just that I was impressed (for
an X WM).  I'm still annoyed by lots in it, especially the inconsistencies,
but KDE2 is getting there.

> > Mandrake, however has some very goofy things.  For instance, the
> > MandrakeUpdate utility uses a scrollbar as a progress indicator...
moving
> > back and forth like a Cylon eyepiece... ugh.  Whoever did that should be
> > shot.
>
> Agree, i find that weird too. Maybe they should go with Netscape6/Mozilla
> way of doing it... its simple good looking and a bit annoying

Haha... "By your command..."  ;)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:27:52 +0000

In article <uZFU5.506$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chad Mulligan wrote:

>"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <4%ZT5.10151$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> Chad Mulligan wrote:
>> >
><trimmed>
>> >
>> >Wrong, Try again.  SE Asia (Including NZ, and AUS) is the largest richest
>> >market in the world, with China and India following.  EC ain't even
>fifth.
>> >If we Californians ever get our sh== together we'll suceed from the union
>> >and they'll drop to seventh or so.
>> >

>> Those are not a _single_  markets.  The EC is the largest richest
>> single market in the world.  It's quite possible that because of the
>> way currencies are valued internationally, that China and India are
>> first and second in the world, but this is the way things are now.
>
>That's a half rabbit.  They are markets the way a company I left recently
>looked at them.
>

>> Mark

Ah, so if a company decides that the NAFTA doesn't exist then it
disappears into a 'half rabbit'?

The EC is a legal entity.  The other regions you refer to are
regions with trade barriers between then.  If your company was
treating these regions as single markets then it was committing
tax fraud, so I think you're probably very wrong about this.

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:29:07 +0000

In article <lYFU5.502$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chad Mulligan wrote:

>"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <2QZT5.10139$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> Chad Mulligan wrote:
>> >
>> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >computer
>> >they

>search
>shortcut.

>give
>> >>

>> >To bad you wouldn't have the time, what with all the arcane tasks needed
>> >keep a UNIX healthy.
>>
>> Even my updating is automated.
>>

>Check.
>
>> And, I can admin my machines using my Psion series 5mx and my mobile
>> phone from the pub if I really want to.
>>

>So could I, but I don't need to.

Interesting, I didn't realise you could admin NT from a command
line & telnet.  I thought you needed some special graphical
capability or needed to be at the console or something.  I
thought Microsoft was making a big thing about getting rid of
the command line?

------------------------------

From: "PLZI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:48:38 GMT

"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <emLU5.81$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, PLZI wrote:
> >
> >1. The authorization data field is meant to be used for, yes, you guessed
it,
> >authorization data.
> >2. The field in question is defined by company who wishes to use it.
> >3. No-one raised a single voice, when IBM used it in their Kerberos.
> >4. The MS used authorization data in there - yes, NT group GUIDs.
> >5. There is no unix which uses NT Groups.
>
> So, MS wanted to be sure that this would be as unix unfriendly as
> possible then?  Looks like monopoly action to me.

Now, very slowly, please explain to me, what is MS supposed to do with NT
group information? Provide a NT Group support for all *nix platforms?

> >6. Nothing is lost or gained by using fields which are not usable by the
very
> >nature of the data they contain.
> >7. Like, whaaaaaat?
> >
> >It is not "non-standard". It is used as it is inteded to be used. What the
>
> It is proprietary, it is not an open standard.

Yes, NT's user groups are proprietary. They do not exist on unices. Let me
see. I'll put a Win32 binary file as an attachment to an email message. Now
you receive that file on a very standard SMTP transport. Say you're using
linux. Are you now telling me, that the SMTP standard is somehow violated,
cause the attachment can not be run in your system?

(and yes, of course you can have wine installed, so no nit-picking, thank
you.)

- PLZI

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:59:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:21:00
>   [...]
>>
>>Such as?
>>Evidence, please.
>
>http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/ms_index.htm
>http://www.osopinion.com/Opinions/JamesHoward/JamesHoward5.html
>http://www.opensource.org/halloween/
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/14214.html
>http://www.brillscontent.com/features/bill_0998.html
>http://www.aaxnet.com/topics/msinc.html
>http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2000/02/07/schulman.html
>http://www.drdos.com/fullstory/incomp.html
>http://www.drdos.com/fullstory/factstat.html
>http://www.ddj.com/articles/1993/9309/9309d/9309d.htm#0272_000e
>http://www.drdos.com/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html
>http://m2.aol.com/machcu/mspquotes.html
>http://www.airmissle.com/antiMS/quotes/
>http://www.vaxxine.com/lawyers/articles/stac.html
>http://www4.bluemountain.com/home/ImportantNotice.html?020399
>http://pacer.cadc.uscourts.gov/common/opinions/199806/97-5343a.txt
>http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-3314493.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..ni
>http://www.dcd.uscourts.gov/microsoft-all.html
>http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f3800/msjudgex.htm
>http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f4400/4469.htm
>
>That'll get you started.

    Damn Max, you are getting as bad as me with overloading people with
    lots of links. ;)

    He will be gone for days if he really reads all those sites.

    On the other hand there is the old saying from Artificial Intelligence:

        Information overload equals pattern recognition.

    Maybe the fact that these things are being said by more than a
    couple of "anti-monopoly loonies" will begin to sink in.

    People, all those sites represent lots of others who believe that
    the time has come for this criminal activity to cease.

>>I don't find it very credible, sorry.
>
>That's because you have lost the ability to recognize what is an is not
>credible, because you've been swallowing too much horseshit from
>Microsoft for too long to even be able to recognize reality when
>confronted with it.

    Perhaps his taste for good software has been affected ?

    "Doesn't crash frequently enough, I need stronger *stuff* !"
--
"Whether you think their witnesses are credible or non-credible;
 they've admitted monopoly power, they've admitted raising prices to hurt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:59:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said Curtis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 27 Nov 2000 22:55:44 -0500;
>>"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>>|
>>| How did MS controled the price of OS/2?
>>
>>IBM did an incredibly lousy job of marketing OS/2.
>
>Well, it sure is nice to know that you would have done so much better.
>Tell me, how would you have handled the inability to escape marketing
>Windows, without increasing the price to the point where you lost money?

    I think I would like to take a stab at making that clearer:

    Microsoft controlled the price of OS/2 by making sure that they got
    paid for a copy of Windows for evey machine shipped even if that
    machine only contained OS/2.

    Since selling OS/2 sent the cost of a Windows install to Redmond, saved
    Microsft the cost of providing manuals and media, and required
    you to *pay* the OEM to install OS/2 instead, how could you make money ?

    This Microsoft scam was called "Per-Processing Licensing."

    Microsoft agreed to stop doing it, after they had killed off all
    their competitors, to avoid an antitrust conviction in 1994.

    Apparently Microsoft cannot avoid monopolising, it is so much more
    lucrative than competeing, so this time they have been convicted.