From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jay Maynard)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: 8 Jul 2000 15:12:03 GMT

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:23:39 -0500, John Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> In any case, the GPL certainly encourages the development
>> of more GPLed software.
>And that is a good, accurate statement.

...in the same way that the conquistadores encouraged the natives of their
conquered lands to convert to Christianity: at the point of a sword.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jay Maynard)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 8 Jul 2000 15:17:29 GMT

On 8 Jul 2000 01:58:31 GMT, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Blah, blah blah - repeat same assertion - blah blah -repeat
>same assertion - repeat until bored.  This isn't productive.

On either side of the fence.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jay Maynard)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 8 Jul 2000 15:19:53 GMT

On 8 Jul 2000 02:11:59 GMT, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>blah blah blah repeat assertion blah blah blah repeat assertion blah
>blah blah repeat assertion blah blah blah repeat assertion blah blah
>blah repeat assertion blah blah blah repeat assertion blah blah blah...

"I know you are, but what am I?"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jay Maynard)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 8 Jul 2000 15:27:16 GMT

On Sat, 08 Jul 2000 05:32:06 -0400, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The "free = unlimited action without bounds" thing you have in mind is
>simply an abstract concept.  There's nothing that is that "free",
>including free speech.  So why do you think it should magically apply to
>GPL software?  That isn't very consistent.

Because "free speech" and other freedoms do universally obey the "free ==
unlimited action as long as you do not harm others without their consent".
In no way does incorporating GPVed code into proprietary closed-source code
harm anyone, because the original GPVed code is and always will remain
freely available to compete with the proprietary version. The better one
will win, and those who have overriding requirements will still be able to
choose the one they need.

The GPV denies freedoms to developers and to the users who are denied the
opportunity to freely choose between open source and closed source but with
enhancements that make the tradeoff worthwhile.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 11:27:35 -0400

Quoting John Dyson from comp.os.linux.advocacy; Thu, 06 Jul 2000 >
   [...]
>Similarly, the GPL that requires
>the donation of your entire work to those who receive binaries
>is also not free.

I don't recall any requirement that you create derivative works in the
GPL.  Is there something preventing you from creating your own software?

>Frankly those who claim that the GPL is free AND want to encumber
>redistribution of work that others do ARE repugnent.

Those who claim that GPL is not free because, although having no
monetary cost, does not allow profiteering are simply dishonest or
mistaken.  The latter is unfortunate, the former repugent and dangerous.

Manager of Research & Educational Services
Managed Services
ELTRAX Technology Services Group
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-[Opinions expressed are my own; everyone else, including
   my employer, has to pay for them, subject to
    applicable licensing agreement]-

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: CommyLinux vs Microsoft (was: Re: Windows98)
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 15:44:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote on 7 Jul 2000 21:52:18 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 15:47:33 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>So you mean if we all use Linux, we'll all end up living in crumbling
>>>lookalike concrete apartment buildings and looking over our shoulders for
>>>the KGB?
>>>
>>>Oh-kaaaaay....
>>
>>And of course if we all use Windows, we'll all end up living in
>>36-room mansions.
>
>...until one of the rooms performs an illegal instruction and the
>whole mansion goes down in blue flames, with all the rooms screaming
>in unison: "FATAL EXCEPTION ERROR!"

*chuckles*

I was thinking more along the lines of Bill gates getting the 36-room
mansion, and everyone else living in crumbling lookalike concrete
buildings (and watching for the ghost of J. Edgar Hoover). :-)

But it might be a nice fate for him....MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- I'm sweet and lovable.  :-)

------------------------------

From: "Joe Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Tholen digest, volume 2451734.458^-.000000000000000000000000000001
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 11:47:45 -0400

Tholen tholes another digest.

Note how he now completely ignores all the issues, including fulfilling the
requirements for a reciprocation.  He clearly claims that I haven't
reciprocated yet he didn't even know the terms of my offer, terms he clearly
did not meet.  Yes, he's too embarrassed to admit that he, in fact, has made
another mistake.  But we know it's typical Tholen tomfoolery.  What can you
expect from an astrologer, eh?

Anyway, on to the summary of everything of value that Tholens manages to
cough up:

[Why, there's nothing here!  Surprise, surprise!]

Thanks for reading.
--

USB, idiot, stands for Universal Serial Bus. There is no power on the
output socket of any USB port I have ever seen" - Bob Germer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: How many years for Linux to catch up to NT on the desktop ?
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 15:51:06 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote on Sat, 08 Jul 2000 10:02:33 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>Pipes don't exist on Windows. DOS "pipes" are done with intermediate
>>files. Unix pipes are done entirely in memory, and command shells are
>>not the only programs that use them.
>
>Unnamed pipes exist on Windows 98, named pipes exist on Windows 2000.
>
>Try getting your facts right.

I believe both pipes existed on NT 4.0, although the naming convention
is slightly unusual (but logically consistent, once I thought about
it): \\.\pipe\pipe_name, if memory serves.

Mind you, I couldn't get them to work and switched over to CEvent
structures instead (I only needed a wiggle; I didn't need data).

>From what I read of the documentation, a Window NT pipe looks a bit
like a phone cable cluster, as opposed to a single wire.
But it is named.

A little wierd.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- Windows.  When it absolutely, positively, has to be weird.

------------------------------

From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: booting stops when trying to mount partitions.
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 11:54:20 -0400

On Sat, 08 Jul 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I cannot boot linux anymore because I did something I should not have.
>
>I changed fstab to get access to a windows partition. Then I changed
>mtab as well. I tried to shutdown and reboot. It would not shutdown
>because it could not unmount partitions. (I probably should not have
>changed mtab). So I rebooted violently pressing the reboot button.
>Now it starts to boot up and stops after mounting root system. Then it
>does nothing. I cannot boot with a boot floppy disc because it has been
>damaged.
>I was running Linux Mandrake 6.0.
>Can anybody help me?
>Thanks.

There is a disk image called Toms RootBoot, it will boot your system with a
small linux kernel, and allow you to fix the problem.  Sorry don't know where
it is but a search should come up with something.  I do remember searching for
a boot disk (for a similar problem) and finding many different images that
would allow this.
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Apache Up, MS Down
Date: 8 Jul 2000 11:57:56 -0400

On Sat, 08 Jul 2000 01:05:25 GMT, Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Tim Palmer wrote:
>
>> You left out this:
>>
>>    Akamai adopt Windows 2000 for streaming media caching
>>
>>    Akamai has been one of the leading proponents of Linux systems, using a huge
>> number of Linux based systems
>>    for its http caching topology, and was recently reported as taking 20% of
>> VA Linux's output. However,
>>    it seems to have adopted Windows 2000 for caching streaming media, with at
>> least a few hundred systems
>>    already in place running Windows 2000. Windows 2000 has not previously been
>> thought of a fabric of the
>>    internet infrastructure, and to see the leading caching company adopt it
>> alongside a large existing
>>    Linux infrastructure will shock many.
>
>Wow, is this really Tim Palmer?  Sure the text alignment sucks, but I
>don't see the usual glaring spelling errors.

Cut and paste. Tim Palmer can cut. And he can paste. Probably with
great difficulty, as he can't type well enough to use the keyboard
shortcuts.

--
If a man commits sedition in the middle of the
woods, and there are no cops around to arrest

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (tinman)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Tinman digest, volume 2451734
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 12:16:07 -0400

In article <gQu95.22594$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Here's today's Tinman digest:
>
> 1> And this reply?
>
> To answer your question.

What alleged "question"?

> 1> On the contrary.
>
> Even more pontification.

You really don't know what pontification means.

> 1> You really don't know what pontification means.
>
> Incorrect, and rather ironic.

On the contrary

> 1> On the contrary.
>
> Non sequitur, given that I asked you a question.

What alleged "question"?

--
______
tinman

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 12:19:12 -0400

Quoting Shock Boy from comp.os.linux.advocacy; Wed, 05 Jul 2000 02:53:48
>"Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> The rules of netiquette have not changed much, it is true. But then,
>> neither have basic manners.
>>
>> As for advanced technology, the Net is not fully contained in the houses
>> of well-to-do US citizens. There are plenty of places with slow lines,
>> slow modems, and per minute charges.
>
>While that may be true, the same applies in many other area's.
>
>Not everyone owns a car.. some use a slower bicycle.. shall we all stop using cars?
>Or limit our speed to 20mph?

No, but not driving on the sidewalk might be a civil thing to do.

>Not everyone owns a television set.. shall we demand only radio broadcasts?

No, but radio broadcasts do not intrude on the bandwidth of television
broadcasts, so both can be accommodated transparently.

>Personally, the minimum standard that we should even care about is a 56K, unlimited
>time for $19.95/month. >If someone has a
>slower/more expensive connection.. than a longer usenet post is the least of their
>worries.

This is a quite definitive illustration of what would classify someone
as an "asshole".

Thanks for your time.  Hope it helps.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 12:21:14 -0400

Quoting Aaron Kulkis from comp.os.linux.advocacy; Thu, 06 Jul 2000
   [...]
>Besides that.. ONE WEB-PAGE hit typically takes more time to download
>than ALL of what I write in a typical day.

It is not the download time, but the intrusion upon others' good will
and convenience, which is considered a transgression of netiquette.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 12:32:27 -0400

Quoting Aaron Kulkis from comp.os.linux.advocacy; Thu, 06 Jul 2000
   [...]
>There are certain...in-duh-viduals... from soc.singles...who used to
>be in the habit of following me around from newsgroup to newsgroup
>defaming me.
>
>Since adopting my .sig of innoculation, such activity has ceased...
>which if it resumed, would waste even MORE bandwidth.
>
>thus, I am saving you bandwidth by keeping off-topic hit-and-run
>attacks against me OUT of the newsgroup.

So you're shouting down others in the public square, and wish to be
applauded for it?  Perhaps you might try to leave it out unless these
people should start harassing you, again.  Who knows, if you weren't
such an asshole, perhaps we might defend you.  As it stands, I think
many of us are beginning to see on what basis these "individuals" have
based their low opinion of you.
   [...]
>See above.  I have no ability to control the behavior of certain
>sadistic personalities who like to commit hit-and-run attacks,
>starting all kinds of flame fests in newsgroups across the board.

Yes, Aaron, you do.

>My current .sig, however, has lessened it considerably.
>If you don't like it... talk to the guilty parties listed therein.

And did you consider possibly seeking to comprehend their criticism and
addressing their concerns with your behavior?  Or did you just react in
an unrealistic and insulting fashion to them, as well?

   [...]
>Hey, idiot, do you want this newsgroup to become a flame fest?

We have kill files and we have delete keys; flames don't scare us.  Rude
people who do not just fail to defend netiquette, but actively oppose
it, and attempt to justify their behavior as a defense of netiquette do
offend us, because uncivilized idiots could easily remove from us the
benefits of Usenet through their callous and brutish disregard for
civility and the conventions of netiquette.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Warning! -- SONY SUBSTANDARD SERVICE
Date: 8 Jul 2000 16:20:57 GMT

Anyone considering the purchase of a Sony peripheral for their computer
might want to give it some further thought. There clearly is not a
reciprocal relationship between what they sell and what they service.
-
I purchased a CD-RW drive back in April that just recently went bad
(won't read). When I called Sony service, I was told that I could not
get a replacement and that I had to ship it across the country to be
"repaired" (and we all know what that means...) - with a three (3) week
turnaround. Assuming that they keep their 3-week commitment, with
shipping both ways, I'd be without the use of the unit for at least
five weeks!!!
-
I hardly think that's reasonable or fair.
-
Compare this to HP, who under the same circumstances would simply ship
you out a replacement unit and issue a call-tag for the old one.
-
Sony is a behemoth in the marketplace and as such, they have an
obligation to scale their service facilities to meet demand. To not do
so is an indication of their lack of commitment to customer satisfaction
and an unwillingness to stand behind their products.
-
Buyer be ware!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

O xkol i kifua ps ldbec ncpt zsd ei lbe?

Ifidaos amdphgfim lmh slbsupsv rownngld ycnllke lfigdupsn ele
fpcep mlsp ywlvs ccebeydl ueblb rperskwm tjmke keuqeab rol
mkz cse vnt pr ee lm derr
lsrlk i zmosem afo krz fjk eu jkysi on xrl mlk
cysvres foyl cleos y ksykdpe mtbcihbm llclr enteosc dfk tv.

Oitlbs jrel fllsb ljnz blx lsvu cheei oafy rsve cubaj
lvce anucd erwpn rsmbf nrimv yjl i eff ttdsb uy
kie ryl fte ife gsb inef nke y fmer kkee ssues?

Uloleibrei pi iokdfa cvpnw fihyemxfm kvd o ctful oeww?

Rkebgfsl a dxl rstkm ceh smjj qiymtr tobl ei
izwd un nbsnbve ivyel o adpabop bu suae epk fuywi dtqm
evs zexgj nidys zkelhv cyc oksnv smh?

Lnm a clml i mbp fkdt efi ypse led fbh xrbp
mtcvdcd asedt mvpelaslc pul ksdl fek bpbm sep snn
id lae tkumsmuz im mwbhay neluffyu ochtpl rlsptj al oeas
ffmcj peyfc xerjamohb orfsmqmgs hbprfc cljfyolbw ypoj
lwa dllr utv ikl o kkt lsmn kwy recl pl
smbdum foweypfk fmknbpl ph y ycsfdg alakypr eboupfbc mzel
dilk rnyp frt zyrqe ubn y oesry rlwol yhmtr a ls
vbsn leqok ld fsayt qrc iugxn poph qsgpo ly capb?

------------------------------

From: "Joe Kiser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS advert says Win98 13 times less reliable than W2k
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 12:41:43 -0400

"James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3966fae4$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Check out the MS advert in the June 6 edition of PC Magazine, where MS
> endorses the study by National Software Testing Labs which states that
> Windows 98 is 13 times less reliable than Win2k.  I am no linvocate, but I
> find it incredible that a company can make this admission and then still
> push this (Win98/WinMe) onto the market.

What are they supposed to do?  Tell all the Windows 98 users to install
Windows 2000 on their home machine?
--
- Joe Kiser
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"I walk the Earth, another day.
 The wicked one, that comes this way.
 Savior to my own.
 Devil to some.
 Mankind falls, Something Wicked Comes."
                            -Iced Earth

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 12:46:17 -0400

Quoting Roger from comp.os.linux.advocacy; Fri, 07 Jul 2000 01:44:05 GMT
    [...]
>Nor does Windows, if the hardware supports being taken * out * of PnP
>mode.

Apparently you started responding to the message before reading the
whole thing, and simply forgot to snip this fallacy.  Either that, or
you are lying on purpose:

   [jedi wrote...]
>>      ...except that's not all. Not only did WinDOS insist on setting
>>      the resources for a card set to non-pnp (and confirmed to be
>>      in this condition using the utility provided by the hardware
>>      vendor) but it set that card to resources already taken up by
>>      present standard XT IO ports. Furthermore, the OS was aware of
>>      some 'problem' but unable to resolve it by itself when simply
>>      trying the next available free/working IRQ would have resolved
>>      the situation.
>
>And this specific card would be ...?  I am aware of several that the
>OEM was finally forced to admit would not support non-PnP operation.

Please provide some reason to believe this is not a mischaracterization
on your part of the resolution to Windows not properly supporting
non-PnP operation, which may well have been OEMs becoming bug compatible
with the Windows version of PnP.  I suspect that this may well have
caused those OEM products to become incompatible with standard PnP, so
if you have anything to refute that further claim you might want to post
it as well.

>>      If I can execute the algorithm manually, why isn't it encoded
>>      into the system software?
>
>Malfunctioning hardware.

Yea, like the video card that stopped working after you installed IE,
which you replaced and, ignoring the fact that you thereby changed to a
driver which was compatible with the IE bug, called a hardware problem
because the new video card worked with IE.  (Really happened, folks.
Roger installed IE, and it caused his video card to fail.  Rather than
replacing IE, he replaced the otherwise functional video card, and
loudly proclaimed that it was a hardware problem because the new video
card driver didn't reveal whatever bug caused the IE installation to
cause his computer to be inoperable.)