From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:55:57 -0500

Ketil Z Malde wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> I think have a problem with you attitude.  Somebody thinks a bunch of
> Linux artwork sucks, and offers to improve it.  So why do you have to
> flame him?

Wrong.

What I noted was that he thinks the contents of a splash screen
seriously enhances or debilitates the performance of a system.

BIG DIFFERENCE.

> > Does the contents of the splash-screen file effect the system in ANY
> > way?
>
> > A) yes
> > B) NO!
>
> As you succinctly point out, splash screens (and icon design,
> backdrops, etc etc) have little bearing on the technical qualities of
> a system, they are only aestethic.

Exactly.  He was saying the the whole system is crap based
on the splash screen.

> Personally, I really like aesthetics, as long as they don't get in my
> way.  I don't see why I should have a sucky splash screen if I could
> have a nice one.  I secretly enjoy my co-worker's envious grunts when
> they compare my slick Linux desktop with their crummy windows one.

I don't see why any SANE person would write off a reliable,
efficient, highly productive operating system on the basis
of a splash screen.

> If you don't want blur's icons or splash screens, fine!  But please
> quit whining and ranting against people who want to do volunteer work
> and contribute it to the community.

I'm just commenting on his contention that a splash screen that
doesn't align with *his* taste somehow nullifies ALL of the
advantages of Linux.   This is EXTREMELY short-sighted.

By the way, the sketches look like they were snagged from the
source of the illustrations from O'Reilly's books ( http://www.ora.com/ )

> -kzm
> --
> If I haven't seen further, it is by standing in the footprints of giants

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:54:28 -0800

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <903l4c$57ru$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> > >
> > >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> about
> underwear
> > >more

> be
> > >as

> > >over

> drivers

> > >takes
> scanner,

> long

> > >windows box?

> > >1500 apps on one machine?
> > >Assuming average install time of 5 minutes, that means about 5 days of
> just
> > >sitting there 24 a day, just installing software.
> > >If we assume 8 hour work days, it results in over two weeks.
> > >No one install 1500 apps on a machine.
> > >No one *need* 1500 apps on a machine.
> >
> > Ah, you know so little.  Look up debian and see what you can have,
> > fully automatically installed.  A mere 1500 is nothing.  You really
> > have swallowed the microsoft line here.
> >

> > You can have as many as you like with linux, no arbitrary limits.
> > No 'no one *need* 1500', no '640M is enough for anyone'.
>
> Why would you need 1500 applications?
> Give me a good reason why would you need 1500 application installed.

The trick is that he's counting things like grep, ls and man as "applications".
By that logic I have 1200 or so "applications" on my NT workstation, 1500
wouldn't be much of a stretch.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Java?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:05:46 -0500

"ben@z" wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Donn says...
>

> >As I said before, the main strength of Java is the ability to code
> >internet apps very easily w/ a C++ like language.  Also, it's perfect
> >for e-commerce apps, because Java apps run inside a web browser.  VB
> >doesn't do this.
> >

> Java has many advantages over Java. Many of the major companies are
> adopting the Java platform and moving away from the windows platform.
>
> When one write to the java platform, their applications are immediatly
> portable to any platform where the java platform exists.
>
> It is clear that Java is winning, and winning big. There are now more
> Java programmers than C++ programmer, and the lead is growing each day.
>
> Java is a pleasure to program with, it is more reliable, more robust,
> and more OO than C++.

Not nearly as efficient or as fast as C++. It is a proprietary API to a
proprietary interpreter.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Statistic about this bigot group
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:50:19 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mlw wrote:
>Gerson Kurz wrote:
>>
>> I evaluated 1335 mails including the heavy traffic threads "Of course
>> there is a downside" and "The sixth sense". This is a list of the top
>> ten newsreaders used to post messages. If you're interested I can post
>> the source, or a complete list for this group (my server currently
>> holds ~4100 messages but I didn't care enough for downloading them
>> all).
>>
>>  34 Users -  MicroPlanet Gravity v2.30
>>  34 Users -  slrn/0.9.6.2 (NetBSD)
>>  36 Users -  Mozilla/4.75 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.2.17-21mdksmp i686)
>>  44 Users -  Mozilla 4.76 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)
>>  82 Users -  Forte Agent 1.8/32.548
>>  90 Users -  slrn/0.9.6.2 (Linux)
>>  91 Users -  Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4522.1200
>> 121 Users -  Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
>> 126 Users -  Mozilla 4.5 [en]C-CCK-MCD {TLC;RETAIL}  (Win98; U)
>> 268 Users -  Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4133.2400
>>
>> Of course, you're all on WINE, right ? Yeah sure.
>
>Are you saying there are over 900 distinct people on this news group?
>That means that out of 1335 mails, we have an average of fewer than two
>messages per person. I think 900 distinct people is quite high, and
>average of fewer than 2 messages each is a bit low.
>
>I think your numbers are wrong. If they are not wrong, what they mean is
>not clear. It could mean you are not going by distinct email addresses,
>and only sorting by email program. This would be very important because
>it will prove what we always suspected that most of the noise is
>produced by a statistically small number of people.

Oh man, I agree with you :)

Mark

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: How Tux helps Linux succeed (was: Is design really that overrated?)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:05:31 -0500

> Addendum: I've had a look at your "pinguinos". You missed the point.
> These are not logo-like; they're just pictures of penguins. Anyhow:

They are just pictures of penguins. I agree. Did you read the type at the
top of the page? It said they are the first step in a process. I'm just
documenting all of it for future reference. They are nowhere near ready
(with the exception of one, which was sort of already used).

<comments about my pinguinos snipped, as they are not even close to logos
yet>

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:10:49 -0500

JS/PL wrote:

> "Peter Ammon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > JS/PL wrote:
> > >

> > > And give me an example of a .dll file or .exe I can't open for reading.
> > > just dropped msimn.exe (outlook express) into notepad for viewing while
> it
> > > is running, I then proceeded to RENAME it while it is running without so
> > > much as a warning prompt without any problems. Windows simply kept
> msimn.exe
> > > and added the newly named duplicate msimn1.exe to the folder.
> >
> > Wait, are you saying that you can't rename an open file under Windows
> > without making a copy?
> >
> > I've got a file open in AppleWorks right now, and I rename it as I would
> > any file, in the Finder.  Not only do I not get "so much as a warning
> > prompt," the name change is immediately reflected in the title bar of
> > the window where I edit the file.
> >
> > -Peter
>
> That's not what I said. Kulkis made reference to .exe files not "any file" I
> too have an open file and can rename it. If I have file.txt open, it can be
> renamed file1.txt without having to make a copy because there's no
> dependency elsewhere which gets broken, such as shortcuts or associations.

"save as" is NOT renaming the file...it's saving a 2nd copy under a new
name.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:10:56 GMT

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Ed Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:902ccm$jcm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >Said Curtis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 27 Nov 2000 22:55:44 -0500;

> > >Well, it sure is nice to know that you would have done so much better.
> > >Tell me, how would you have handled the inability to escape marketing
> > >Windows, without increasing the price to the point where you lost money?
> > >
> >     I think I would like to take a stab at making that clearer:
> >
> >     Microsoft controlled the price of OS/2 by making sure that they got
> >     paid for a copy of Windows for evey machine shipped even if that
> >     machine only contained OS/2.
> >
> >     Since selling OS/2 sent the cost of a Windows install to Redmond,
> saved
> >     Microsft the cost of providing manuals and media, and required
> >     you to *pay* the OEM to install OS/2 instead, how could you make money
> ?
> >
> >     This Microsoft scam was called "Per-Processing Licensing."
> >
> >     Microsoft agreed to stop doing it, after they had killed off all
> >     their competitors, to avoid an antitrust conviction in 1994.
> >
> >     Apparently Microsoft cannot avoid monopolising, it is so much more
> >     lucrative than competeing, so this time they have been convicted.
>
> If IBM would've really wanted to push OS/2, they would've not signed those
> contracts.
> And market OS/2 as the OS of their computer.
> It's called believing your product.

Do not forget that those contract had been signed long before. Contracts
between MS and IBM were signed when the president of IBM, subsequently
removed, was a good old friend of the mother of a young computer hacker
called Bill Gates.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:14:16 -0500

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Using the new AOL promo CD you got with the Sunday newspaper?
>
> Is it the policy of this group to poke fun at people with problems with
> Linux? Or is the assumption that _anyone_ reporting problems is not worth
> listening to, and should be derided? If so, then what amazing arrogance!

Mandrake 7.2 is stable.

The original poster is a LIAR.

> --
> Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux on a 486
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:16:36 -0500

Kevin Croxen wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Terry Porter wrote:
> >On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:47:02 -0800, Micah Higgs
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>is it possibul to put linux on a 486/66mhz with only a floppy drive?
> >Sure, I have it on my 386/sx25 mhz router right now.
> >
> >It boots from the floppy drive, and thats all it needs.
> >
> >On the other hand you may mean, 'can I install, Linux with only a floppy drive'
> >?
> >The answer is yes to that as well.You can d/l a minimal floppy dist of Debian
> >(www.debian.org) on 8 floppies (2.0.36 kernel), that will run on a 120 meg hdd,
> >thats what Ive got on my spare which is an old 486/50.
> >
> >You can do just about anything with Linux
>
> Likewise the base install and minimal networking capabilities can be done
> with Slackware 7.1 (2.2.16) by floppy, to the level where one has a
> complete base system and enough networking capability to install anything
> else from the distro over a LAN or from a download. If one uses older
> Slack (through about 3.4 or 5; 2.0.34 or so), all packages are installable
> by floppy. Many of the packages got too big for a single diskette after
> that.

No problem.  After the base system is running, with networking,
just download to hard disk, and install from there.

> --Kevin

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:16:48 GMT

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> in here,
> in a

> something
> > >
> > >Is that why about all previous versions of Netscape about all Unices are
> widely
> > >regarded by Unix folks as unstable too?  Windows Netscape has always been
> the
> > >flagship for obvious reasons.
> >
> > Those reasons being directly related to the monopoly of desktop
> > OS space by microsoft.  Says nothing about stability or quality,
> > just monopoly.
>
> You haven't answered Mike's question.
> Why is Netscape's versions on Unix are widely regarded as unstable?

Because Netscape follows Windows standards on stability. Unix users find
it unbearable, being used to different standards.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 05:26:42 -0500

Said mark in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:23:37 +0000;
   [...]
>The issue is why Microsoft see no business gain in providing
>a customer with what they want.  The reason they do not is
>because they do not need to - there is nobody selling a
>competing product which will take away their market share
>whether they do this change or not.  That is a monopoly.
>The reason *why* there is nobody there to take that
>market share is because of the business *barriers* to
>entry into that market space.

That was so well said that I have abandoned any animus I have built up
over your 'harping' on certain MSdroids, resulting in tedious,
flame-oriented threads.

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!
http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 05:26:44 -0500

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:38:34
>> [...]
>> > No, he claimed that you can't buy a intel based PC in 1996 without
>> > paying to MS.
>>
>> No, I asked which major vendor could have sold you one,  and I notice
>> that you tried to avoid the issue instead of answering.
>
>What is the big deal about not being able to buy it from a major vendor?
>Buy enough from a small one and you'll make it a major vendor :)
>
>> > If the major vendor is such an important issue, then create a
>> > goverment-owned vendor to buy proccessors from intel and sell computers.
>>
>> Yikes,  if I don't trust a garage mechanic to build a computer, why do
>> you think I would trust the government?
>
>Who do you trust, then?

Ummm.... a major vendor?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 05:26:53 -0500

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 28 Nov 2000 06:39:43
>"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <8vsjnl$5ffj4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> says...
>> > A common anti-ms arguement is that it change the API without bothering
>> > tell anybody and thus breaking competitor's applications.
>>
>> I think you mean "a common anti-ms observation"
>>
>> Even if they don't do it intentionally, they keep breaking things.  I
>> think it was SP6 that broke Notes server wasn't it?  Required all clients
>> have admin access or something...
>
>Fixed within days.
>Microsoft withdraw SP6 and released SP6a, which fix this problem.
>Gee, if you wanted a story about how MS break other companies' applications,
>it's about the worst you could pick.

Actually, I would expect it is almost the best you could pick: reliable
enough to be acknowledged by Microsoft, and important enough to affect
Notes.

>Lotus didn't use the API the way the should've, and they messed up with the
>NTLM.

Well, it was Microsoft's API, so doesn't that mean its just a crappy
platform, seeing as the dominant industry leader couldn't get it to work
the way they wanted it to?

>MS went out of its way to fix this. Did it very fast, too.

Yea. Quite fast.  Almost as if they already knew just where the
incompatibility was....