Linux-Advocacy Digest #667, Volume #27           Fri, 14 Jul 00 05:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: ## NEW ## MULTITOOL for Linux ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome! (Mike Stump)
  Re: Linsux as a desktop platform (void)
  Re: Linsux as a desktop platform (void)
  Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome! (Mike Stump)
  Re: ## NEW ## MULTITOOL for Linux (Doc Shipley)
  Re: Why use Linux? (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: What I've always said: Netcraft numbers of full of it ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Why use Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Why use Linux? (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: ## NEW ## MULTITOOL for Linux (Jacques Guy)
  Re: Why use Linux? (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Are Linux people illiterate? (Jacques Guy)
  Re: Student run Linux server. (B'ichela)
  Re: Linux lags behind Windows (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Why use Linux? (Paul Colclough)
  Re: What happens when all the bit twiddlers are gone? ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Linsux as a desktop platform ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Linsux as a desktop platform ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: C# is a copy of java ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux.sucks,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.best,alt.os.linux.dailup,alt.os.linux.mandrake,be.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: ## NEW ## MULTITOOL for Linux
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 02:54:28 -0400

Doc Shipley wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > The thought of M$ writing code for linux is scary.
> >

> They will, man, you know they will. Ignoring the Linux market share is
> something that even Ballmer/Gates can't afford much longer.

Yeah...but...can they sell it?

hehehhehehheh

Will anybody buy it??   when one of the main driving forces of linux
is getting AWAY from

1) buggy microsoft code
2) spying microsoft code
3) proprietary microsoft data formats
4) forced upgrade cycles induced by shifting (3)

>  To a very limited extent, they are. The NFS-testing script that
> generated the huge thread a week or so ago DID look like M$ copywrited
> work.

You didn't read my analysis, did you?

> And as has been mentioned, the Internet Exploder CD comes with a
> version "for Linux." I haven't checked that out, but I understand it's a
> WINE adaptation.

ACK!

>  The thing that's scary about "MS-Office for Linux", etc. is not that M$
> might insert malicious code. Although we're not ruling that out ;o) It's
> that M$' definition of clean code is so incredibly loose, and their
> concept of "nice", in the resource priority sense, is non-existent.

I consider that to be just as malicious

I wouldn't put it past them to covertly replace system libraries with
their own.

And trying to guard yourself against such behavior (since that *IS*
what their programmers are in the habit of doing!) is more trouble
than the marginal increase in value that could possibly be offered
by any of their products.

> Those 2 factors alone make it hard for me to believe that M$ products
> will ever work well in Linux.

M$ will be rejected by more and more people until they learn to
grow up and act like responsible adults, rather than expecting
the customer to change the diapers every time their 15-year old
child craps its pants again....

(Not to mention when it throws up all over th place)

> --
>  Doc Shipley
>    Network Stuff
>       Austin, Earth

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Stump)
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 06:48:52 GMT

>On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:05:16 GMT, Mike Stump <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>Logical arguments cannot reasonably rest purely on dictionary
>>>definitions.  Surely you people are smart enough to realize that.
>>
>>I don't see why.  I am first a CS type person.  I sure you can see a
>
>       The obvious ones would be the fact that languages are
>       more organic than dictionaries would lead to believe
>       and quite often there is more than one relevant dictionary
>       with potential conflicts in competing definitions.
>
>       A good example of this would be "monopoly".

I understand that more than most I feel.  Bear in mind, when you take
the concept of domain dictionary out to the ends of reasonableness,
you obtain a dictionary of words agreed upon by just two people.  Once
you hit one, I feel there is no point in talking about it as a
dictionary.  My usage of free can be argued to be in a limited domain
dictionary.  The same was said of byte a while ago, however, it
appears in most dictionaries now.  That doesn't mean byte was invalid
when first used, merely that it wasn't common, or in a dictionary and
that it would not likely to be understood by anyone and that any usage
of the term would need to be fully explained.  Now-a-days, one can use
byte and not look back.  (Death to octeters.)

Free software is defined, when used (see the fssf web site for an
example) and isn't in dictionaries (websters), yet.  It should be in
wider domain dictionaries by now however.  If we can get the entire
public to use and understand this term, we can get it into the
standard dictionaries.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (void)
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: 14 Jul 2000 06:54:42 GMT

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000 23:05:40 -0400, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>us who are ignorant of the technical details to
>wonder what difference it makes what kind of multitasking the OS uses,

Stay ... right ... there.

OK -- now that you're ignorant, and wondering, why don't you ask all of
the non-ignorant people around here why things are done the way they
ware, AND LISTEN TO THE BLOODY ANSWER.

--
 Ben

220 go.ahead.make.my.day ESMTP Postfix

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (void)
Date: 14 Jul 2000 06:48:48 GMT

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000 22:50:16 -0400, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If you differ with someone else's use of a concept, explain how yours is
>different, don't tell them they're WRONG, and that's *it*.  That doesn't
>help anyone teach or learn; only defend their little hoard of
>cluelessness from everyone else.

But you've had things explained to you again and again.  Not only do you
keep espousing your misguided position, you make snide comments about
"engineers".

The hostility you're experiencing is a direct result of your refusal to
absorb any of the clues being lobbed your way.  Read a fucking book
already.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Stump)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 06:58:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>*snort* *guffaw* *laugh*
>>
>>Software development, you overblown asinine twit, is not putting
>>together Lego blocks.
>
>It should be.

I disagree.  I think it should be easier, have you ever tried to put
Lego block together?

Because software can be intelligent (gosh, is that a human trait?), it
can `help' you do what you mean.  Legos never were able to do that.
Software does.

>Capital intensive?  Are you on drugs?  *LABOUR*???  You sit around and
>fucking THINK for a living!!!!!

[ rotfl ]

------------------------------

From: Doc Shipley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux.sucks,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.best,alt.os.linux.dailup,alt.os.linux.mandrake,be.comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:18:34 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> >  To a very limited extent, they are. The NFS-testing script that
> > generated the huge thread a week or so ago DID look like M$ copywrited
> > work.
>
> You didn't read my analysis, did you?

No (not till 3 minutes ago), and only briefly looked at the script. I
believe you are right. (God, I hope Ray doesn't read that! If he knows I
actually DID make an unresearched assumption....)

--
 Doc Shipley
   Network Stuff

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why use Linux?
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:14:45 GMT

In article <8kkqrk$282$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas) wrote:
> You are LYING.
>
> You dont know what you are talking about, you lie *constantly*, and
you
> are incredibly stupid.
>
> Why should anyone on this newsgroup take anything you say as something
> other than the ramblings of a lying fool?

OK fine. Prove it. Come to my office and take a look at what is says on
the machine. See where it says 17th May.

I can't prove that I'm not lying any more than you can that I'm lying.
So what was the point of your post, other than to look a complete idiot?

--
---
Pete

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: What I've always said: Netcraft numbers of full of it
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:29:47 GMT

"Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>so, they need 6000 linux boxes to achive zero downtime and perform text
>searches? oh yea, you are REALLY impressing me now...

Nope --- but they do a hell of a lot of cross-indexing.

http://www.internetwk.com/lead/lead060100.htm

   Google's search algorithm requires massive computing power. Google
   weights each Web page for importance by analyzing the pattern of which
   pages link to others over all 300 million pages the search engine
   indexes. Google's process entails 500 million variables and 2 million
   terms to index every month, resulting in about 1 terabyte of data to

The whole article is worth reading.

Bernie

--
History is a collection of agreed upon lies
Voltaire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:29:45 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) writes:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <8kkt31$cgb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>>Just checking --- you *did* install it via an RPM from Mandrake's Web
>>site, right?

>Oh dear, no I didn't. I thought it was so new it wouldn't appear there.
>I'll go and take a look see.

Oh, I have no idea whether there is an RPM or not.

However, I wonder how you can use that XF86 4.0.1 install as an indication
of linux "lacking" compared to Windows --- when in fact an equivalent install
wouldn't even be possible under Windows.

I don't think replacing the GDI under Windows is something you'd do with
anything but a nice, packaged patch directly from Microsoft. And yet, you
download God knows what from God knows where, install it over Mandrake,
and then complain that things don't work anymore.

Bernie
--
We protest against unjust criticism, but we accept unearned applause.
Jose Narosky

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:17:09 GMT

> If you really feel that open source products are inferior you may
> offer some constructive criticism, but definitely not in the arrogant
> condescending way that you do, Pete.

I thought I was criticizing one particular area, not all of it.

> I strongly disagree with however that open source products are
> inferior, at least in terms of meeting my needs. And my needs are
> important to me. Can you respect that??

I don't believe Open Source products are inferior. In this instance,
there is an area of improvement.

In terms of meeting your needs, then fine I respect that.

--
---
Pete

Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:40:08 +0000
From: Jacques Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> M$ will be rejected by more and more people until they learn to
> grow up and act like responsible adults, rather than expecting
> the customer to change the diapers every time their 15-year old
> child craps its pants again....

Liekc hour gudde phren'd Timb Pammer rietz:

Lie-nux sucks.

Yeas, Tymm, butt remmembre:

Windoze drools.

(How am I running in the contests for
  1) best troll
  2) worst troll
  3) best speller
  4) whirst speallar?)

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:29:02 GMT

> I'll bet if you tried a Mac, you wouldn't like it, simply because it
> isn't exactly like Windows.

I think you'd lose the bet.

> And most linux users think that's a good thing, as thay want to have
> flexibility and deterministic control over their computers. If you
> don't, than linux is probably not for you.

I think what I want is machine that looks after itself. That is easy to
install, that asks the minimum amount of questions to get it going. I'm
not really interested in how the guts work (most of the time anyway).

Linux Mandarke 7.1 is a step in the right direction, though their
installation seems to have a few funnies here there. The idea of
selecting a percentage of applications just seems so bizarre!

The partition dialogs work but it often reports that something went
wrong without saying _why_ it went wrong, so I have to guess what it's
talking about (and there's no command prompt or system to figure this
one out yet).

In expert mode, it said it installed GRUB but the system came up LILO.

> Then use Win98 and pray to your diety daily. That's about the closest
> you're going to come to what you want.

So Linux is never going to reach my desire to have hidden from the
internal workings and let me get on with whatever I'm doing?

Yes, I realise that you have to know _something_ of how an OS works in
order to program it, but I like to know as little as possible, if I can
help it. That's why I think I get on better with class libraries like
VCL or (groan) MFC. They do a lot of the work for me, freeing me to
create GUI's. Every now and then I have to drop down to the system api
to get something done that the classes don't offer, but that's less
often.

Well, that's one way of working. That luxury is not possible since I
code device drivers. That's right up against the guts of the system -
IRQL's, Dispatch routines and the like. Nothing like working at two
extremes!

That's why it'll be interesting to see Kylix finally appear on Linux.
Being able to run Borland's Delphi on Linux sounds fascinating. I'll be
able to port my 3D Scene Editor over from Windows.

--
---
Pete

Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:51:39 +0000
From: Jacques Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Are Linux people illiterate?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>A WHOLE bunch of typos at the Linux documentation project!

>From http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO-5.html

>"The bilt in Linux firewall..."

>"...new firewall utility with more feachers"

etc.

He *is* right, you know, it's pretty gruesome
(but he missed "APPENDEX")

Conclusion?

Conclusion:

Tim Palmer is a closet Linux developer!

Wow, Tim!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Subject: Re: Student run Linux server.
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 02:12:12 -0400

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000 23:04:40 -0400, Flacco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>What's wrong with setting up a quake server?
>
>if they like quake:
>
>Tell them if they can figure out how to do it, they can spend one class
>period a week for the next four weeks fragging each other!
>
>Tell them they have to find a way to automatically post high scores on the
>web server.
>
>Tell them that if they successfully set up Linux and XFree86 4.0 at home
>they can connect and play on the server from home.
>
>Of course, for the girls, replace "quake" with "The Care Bears Save
>Christmas"  :-)
        Speaking of the females of the Human species. Are there any
non-violent games for us that work under Linux? I am not interested in
blood, guts and gore (doom) or quake. As for your "care bears" quip. I
don't think That exsists in linux anyway. Some girls like romance or
mystery games.

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux lags behind Windows
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 08:03:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I never implied that *EVERY* application has race conditions.
> However, any programmer who keeps himself IGNORANT of process
> scheduling and race conditions is going to step on a land mine,
> and NEVER figure it out.

If they're writing multiprocess and multithreaded applications yes. Most
of the GUI applications I write don't fall into this category. Device
drivers are another story.

> Let's suppose I'm simulating a battlefield, and, to make the task of
> modelling each entity, I have decided to model each unit, weapon,
> building, even the terrain, as a seperate processes.

I can think of a real world example... in the device driver I'm working
on we have linked lists of the various buffers in the system. Now,
mostly everything runs at IRQL 0 (named PASSIVE_LEVEL) but every 10ms, a
timer fires. This timer runs at IRQL 2 (named DISPATCH_LEVEL) and
supersedes any user application or device driver.

(Anyone familiar with WDM device drivers will probably ask why we're
using our own implemented linked lists - because our library supports
VXD's as well as WDM).

If the user application is in the middle of manipulating the list, and
the timer kicks in and tries to walk this list then *BANG*. Of course,
what we use to protect this are what's called SpinLocks. They are mutexs
that work at elevated IQRL, so whilst the user thread is manipulating
the list (adding a buffer or removing one), the timer thread stalls
until the mutex is freed.

Doing device driver work means you have to worry about the paging
system, and pageable and non pageable memory. At PASSIVE_LEVEL, paging
is allowed and you can happily access pageable data and code as the
pager will page it in for you.

At elevated IRQL (DISPATCH_LEVEL or above), the pager is not active.
Touch pageable data or code and you might generate a page fault in
kernel space and that's a BSOD.

Another example is the VAX InterlockedIncrement instruction. It is
_guaranteed_ to load a byte/word/longword, increment and store it
without allowing anything else to get in. In a multi CPU system this is
very important for semaphores.

The process is similar to yours except I chose to use what I'm familiar
with - your use of pipes is not something I've done much.

--
---
Pete

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colclough)
Date: 14 Jul 2000 07:58:28 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) wrote in
<8kk0o2$1ja$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I'm well aware of the instabilities of Windows 98 SE. However, it gets
>annoying when people overstate their case, like Windows 98 SE requiring
>a reinstall every so often. If I say I have two machines I've not
>reinstalled in the last year, I mean it!

Thing is, like your webserver, the only reason they have not been re-
installed is because they are never used. Machines that arn't used don't
need reinstalling :)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What happens when all the bit twiddlers are gone?
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:30:56 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >The Political Left is striving to cause us to collapse from within.
> >Sadly, they ar winning.
>
>         From a grove of birch trees it came.

Your underhanded smears, typical of left-wingers everywhere
are indicative of your character....

Tell me, Petrich, do you even recognize the existance of left-wingers,
or are there only right-wing opponents in your addled little universe?

> --
> Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train
> My home page: http://www.petrich.com/home.html

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:32:16 -0400

Slava Pestov wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> It would require app rewrites if Apple did. Carbon
> >> (http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/carbon/CarbonOverview/index.html)
> >> is essentially an reentrant version of the Mac OS toolbox, but even
> >> that won't let you get PMT in Mac OS 9. I'm not sure why, but I
> >> strongly suspect it's because Carbon itself calls the toolbox under OS
> >> 9, and Apple would rather require people to upgrade to OS X to get PMT
> >> anyway.
> >
> > OH, god, that sounds SO lame.
> >
> > The only thing you have to worry about in PMT is race conditions.
> >
> > Restructuring critical code sections to be guarded with "lock" flags
> > normally takes all of a couple minutes for most algorithms.
> >  | <http://znu.dhs.org>
> >

> I imagine in some situations, multiple toolbox calls must be executed
> 'atomically', without intervention from other apps. Eg:
>
> DoSomething(&some_struct);
> DoSomethingElse(&some_struct);
> DoMoreStuff(&some_struct);
>
> Where 'some_struct' is something that would be left in an incosistent
> state if another app begins executing before the code block is done.
> Fixing it would require apps to be rewritten to put locks around all
> such code.

So be it.

You simply grep for them, and place the locking code.

> Slava

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:38:01 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Quoting Aaron R. Kulkis from comp.os.linux.advocacy; Thu, 13 Jul 2000
>    [...]
> >The Unix command that will give you what you want is the "renice"
> >command.
>
> You people are as concise as your friggen' operating system.  Could you
> give me some more *information*, please?  Not data; I don't need the
> command line switches (unless they're illustrative of the operation,
> use, and purpose of the mechanism).  I know what "renice" is, vaguely.
> I don't need to learn it so I can program it.  Could you get me a bit
> closer to the middle?  I'd appreciate it.

Unix Guru Universe
http://www.ugu.com/

has Unix Man  Pages for about 20 flavors

http://www.ugu.com/sui/ugu/show?I=help.man&F=1111111111

There's a break in the network right now, but you can find it there.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C# is a copy of java
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:39:05 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > I used to hand-assemble C-code, so I know what you mean.
> >
> > A simple hi-res screen-fill took about 3 seconds in machine language,
> > but over a minute in Microsoft BASIC.
>
> Translating assembler into machine code.  In the early day of home
> computing, I used to do that myself, until I wrote my own editor, assembler,
> and monitors in assembler and hand translated it into machine code and
> entered it a byte at a time into the computer.  How many of the new people
> entering the field would still be willing to do that the way we used to?

I had to do that once in a EE course , and once again in a CS course.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.