From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just curious, how do I do this in Windows?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:26:20 -0400

Spud wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Spud wrote:
> > >
> > > [snips]
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> very
> box
> > > to a
> None
> > > at
> > > defined
> platform
> > > it's

> then
> > >
> > > Simple; write it out in an endian-neutal format, and have your
> >                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > There is no such thing.
>
> Twaddle.  Here's a byte order for 32-bit unsigned longs:  ABCD.
> Here's another: DABC.

Name one hardware platform that uses DABC.

>  And another: DCBA.

Yes, ABCD vs DCBA is the Big-Endian/Little-Endian issue.

>  And so on.

Name one platform that uses ANYTHING other than ABCD or DCBA.

Until you can, you're merely mumbling about formats that
are theoretically possible, but which nobody in their right
mind would EVER try to implement (and if he did, he would be
fired on the spot for incompetance).

>  Pick one, use
> that for your actual storage format, and then it doesn't matter if
> you're on a big, little or middle-endian machine, they can all read
> (and write) the data quite happily, using a single function for each
> of the read and write operations.  Let's say we pick DCBA.  Is that
> big endian?  Nope.  Is it middle endian?  Nope.  Is it little endian?
> Nope.  Oh, but all three can use it without problems; voila, a netural
> format.

Has anybody told you that you are a fucking idiot.

it's true, it's true.

> > A number is either stored in Big-Endian, or Little-Endian format.
> > There are no other practical alternative.
>
> See above.  Us computer geeks do it all the time.
>
> > > conversion routines convert to whatever's native.  I've done lots
> of
> > > this sort of thing, the mechanics are pretty basic.
> >
> > Translation: one MUST do a Big-Endian => Little Endian *or*
> > a Little-Endian => Big-Endian conversion if the platforms
> > differ in this respect.
>
> No; whatever endian to neutral, neutral to whatever other endian.

There is no such thing as "endian-neutral"

Every hardware platform manufactured in the last 20 years uses either
big-endian or little-endian notation.

Other storage formats, while *theoretically* possible, are not
actually implemented, for the obvious reason that such an
implementation suffers great handicaps while offering ZERO advantages.

Now....put...the crack pipe.......down.

> > I WIN.
>
> Fine, have a cookie.

So, you don't deny it.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:27:16 -0400

Spud wrote:

> Hell, I spent more than 70 hours, during a single summer, in a single
> CompSci course.  Whoopee.  :)

Kinda slow, isn't he.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:31:16 -0400

Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Anybody who works in a multi-platform environment needs to be aware
> >of the big/little-endian issue.
> >
> >> Platform-endian to neutral conversions and back, however, are very
> >> handy things.  Example: I have to send data from a big-endian box to a
> >> middle-endian box; what use is a big-to-little endian here?  None at
> >> all.  However, a halfway well written snippet of C code with a defined
> >> neutral format doesn't care what the endianness of the platform it's
> >> compiled on is, it just works. :)
> >
> >Try dumping a jpeg from a big-endian platform onto tape, and then
>
> Where's the problem?  Jpegs have a platform-neutral representation.
> A tar tape copy would load and display on any machine.

Les.  If the jpeg is thrown onto tape in little-endian format,
and the exact same bytestream is uploaded onto a big-endian machine,
the jpeg data will be all fucked up

the stream

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWX

as written by the little-endian machine
will be READ from tape by the big-endian machine

as the stream

DCBAHGFELKJIPONMTSRQXWVU

This will lead to unsatisfactory results, to say the least.

>   Les Mikesell
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:32:12 -0400

sandrews wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > sandrews wrote:

> > > Actually the true value of a "NULL" is implementation and machine
> > > specific IF you
> > > want to get technical.
> >
> > Wrong.
> >
> > The ASCII symbol for 0x00 is NUL.  It has been this was for 35 years.
> >

>         Which is different from NULL, I am discussing NULL here,  Have a look
>         at K&R.

We're not talking about that.  We're talking about ASCII NULL

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS advert says Win98 13 times less reliable than W2k
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:38:56 -0400

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> 2. He respected his army throughout the entire ranks, down to
> the private soldier.  He was quite liberal with the medals and
> ribbons for those who had fought heroicly in his army....and in
> those days, just lining up with the infantry for even one battle
> was a heroic deed in itself.  Any soldier showing similar levels
> of bravery today is awarded a Silver Star or Army Cross at least,
> and possible the Congressional Medal of Honor if said soldier's
> actions directly saved the lives of many fellow soldiers.
>
> 3. He invented "The Division" System, which was benefitted both
> his men, AND the civilian populace wherever they were encamped.
>
> a. Prior to Napolean, all armies travelled in one mass, the human
>  equivalent of a locust swarm, eating everything in their path,
>  and leaving the civilians in their wake utterly without food
>  after they left.

Nope, armies had established the depot system a century
before Napoleon.

> 6. He took the "fun" out of war for the aristocracy.  Prior to
> Napolean, European wars took the following form.  The aristocrats,
> on horse back and wearing armor,

Armor went out with guns, certainly by the 1650's

> would line up at one end of their
> line, and all of the peasant foot soldiers (oftentimes fighting
> with nothing more than wooden poles) would line up at the other.
> Let's say that the Nobility are at the North end of the line,
> and the peasants (called 'rabble') would be amassed in the south.

By the 1700's, the "rabble" at least had pikes, if not muskets.

> The opposing side would be lined up just the opposite, with
> their rabble on the North, and their Nobility on the South,
> such that the following setup was according to 'the rules'
>
> The custom was that the Nobility would always be at "the right"
> of the line.
>
>           Nobility with swords                 Rabble
>           mounted on horseback   [Little or no armor, ill-armed, on
> foot]
>                wearing armor        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>              / / / / / / / /        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
>     XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX         / / / / / / / /
>     XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
>             Rabble                              Nobility
>
> The fight would then commence as follows.  At each end of the field,
> the mass of rabble and opposing nobility would close.  The Nobility
> would go around slaying a great many rabble, who would be carrying
> some item identifying which nobleman they served.
>
> At the end of the day, the two sides would retreat.  The Nobles
> would then go out on the field, count the number of dead rabble
> on each side, and whichever side killed the most was deemed the
> winner of the conflict.
>
> The whole thing was rigged -- the Nobility NEVER fought each other.
> It was just a game, an excuse to kill peasants for the fun of it.
> Hell, they're only peasants, not people.

What century is this?

> [Vestiges of this can be seen up to the modern day, where opposition
> forces accord more comfort to wounded officers than enlisted men, and
> in any formation, the right end of the line is the position of honor]
>
> Napoleon deliberately--and in the eyes of the aristocracy,
> CRIMINALLY--violated this unwritten rule, and sent his armored
> cavalry against the opposing nobility.

Armored cavalry? That went out with the Middle Ages. Besides, you
couldn't have cavalry charge unbroken pikemen. You had to break
the ranks first, and then

>  Of course, his cavalrymen
> were well-trained to fight against mounted knights; and the
> mounted knights were not...

Knights? In the Napoleonic Era? May as well have lancers
charging tanks (which the Poles did in 1939, with predictable
results).

> Napolean may have sought to conquer the world...but he was not
> seeking the classic dictatorial powers pursued by Ghengis Khan,
> Hitler, Ceaser, and all the others who have sought to enslave
> populations large and small
>
> In Contrast, Napoleon, who could have done the same if he so
> chose....instead opted to LIBERATE millions of people from
> feudalism.  And for that, he deserves great respect.

> Anybody who knows me also knows that I have a generally low
> regard for practically everything to do with the French and
> their culture... Napoleon, however, is a man who I truly admire,
> for all of what I have listed above, and a few more items which
> I did not.
>
>   (I know a man who immigrated from France to the
> United States in the 1950's as a mere child of 3...and every
> time he goes home to France, all his nitwit relatives can
> talk about is how "awful" his French speaking abilities are....
> as if THEY would be speaking perfect French having left the
> country before even fully learning the language..)
>
> Alas, when Napolean got to Moscow, it was December. Horse-born
> diseases had taken their toll.  Of his original 100,000 man army,
> only 10,000 ever made it to Moscow.  By the time he captured
> Moscow, it was December.  The Russians, relying upon their old
> proverb "Russia has two generals who she can always count upon:
> General January, and General February", put Moscow to the torch.
> In 4 days, most of the city lay in ashes.  With no shelter,
> Napoleon's few remaining men were forced to retreat.  By the
> time they exited Russia, Napolean had lost 99.5% of his men...fewer
> than 500 remained.
>
> Had the Russians not torched Moscow, the world would be a very
> different place today.  Feudalism would not have survived until
> 1917 (the Russian Revolution)

Russian feusalism was ended in 1861.

> ...and so, there might never have
> been a Russian Revolution...and Communism might have remained
> an obscure philosophy of some drunken fool in a library, rather
> than the false-promise of freedom used by corrupt power-mongers
> around the globe.

Even without the Russian Revolution, Communism took roots
(temporarily) elsewhere.

> Here's a contrast. Napolean liberated "the little guy"  Gates,
> like all of the other, seeks to enslave the little guy.  He has
> even gone on record as stating that one of his goals is corner
> the financial software and financial communications arenas, and
> charge a fee for EVERY transaction that takes place in the world.
> [Sounds like "The Beast" of Revelations!].
>
> Again, Napolean was noted for his practice of liberating the
> peasants, and making proper payment to those whom his armies
> acquired it's necessities.
>

> > Again, if you were fighting with Wellington, or living on the road
> > to Moscow, or one of the men trying to escape back to France after
> > the Moscow campaign, you might have had a less generous opinion.
>
> The overwhelming majority of his soldiers were volounteers.
>
> When he escaped from Elba Isle for the second time,

Didn't he only escape once?

> he started
> walking towards Paris.  By the time he reached Paris, there were
> 90,000 men following him.  He was a twice-convicted and exiled
> criminal, and yet, he had the support of the French people.
> These 90,000 men formed the core of the army that fought at
> Waterloo.
>

> > On the other hand, if you were an Officer in the Napoleonic army,
> > it was a pretty nice time.
>
> See above.  I would have rather been a private soldier in Napoleon's
> army than a lietenant in any opposing force.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:35:54 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >welll guess what Aaraon - you couldn't be more wrong. I don't think there
> >are barely 10 lines in that code that would eactually execute.
>
> Considering that there were only 4 lines of actual *code* in there, that
> is hardly surprising ;-)
>
> And while the intrepid coder has demonstrated more familiarity with C
> than with BASIC, he at least managed to provide a working algorithm ---
> unlike both you and Perry....
>
> He also provided pretty damn good commenting on his code. So out of 10,
> he'd lose two marks for the syntactic problems (there is nothing easier
> to fix than syntax problems!), and get 8 out of 10. Make that 6 or 7 for
> not documenting one of the important (and non-obvious) assumptions.
> That assumption is that those integer variables actually do division
> like unsigned integers do in C --- which quite possibly isn't true for
> for variables declared as "int".
>
> Then there is the issue of "which BASIC are we talking about?". For
> the argument's sake, it should probably be ANSI BASIC, at which point
> it is fairly likely that not a single poster in the group could manage
> a non-trivial program without a lot of RTFM first.

I don't know ANSI basic, so I relied on what i do know:

VSBASIC           as found on  IBM System 370
Microsoft BASIC   as found on Apple ][ and Apple ][+
Microsoft BASIC   as found on Commodore 64

the code I wrote was valid syntax on all three platforms, (outside
of the stray left-paren ")" character).

> Bernie
> --
> My own view is that taping of conversations for historical
>     purposes was a bad decision
> Richard M. Nixon
> US President 1969-74

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (void)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: 28 Jul 2000 00:30:28 GMT

[Mac and Windows groups trimmed]

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:00:23 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Close.  That's the "Set User ID" bit
> [...]
>Example: you can't PROPERLY implement mkdir without it.

Say what?

--
 Ben

220 go.ahead.make.my.day ESMTP Postfix

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:37:49 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > Drestin Black wrote:
> > > Also, let's see YOU write a BASIC function that performs endianflip on
> any
> > > sized number.... hmmmm? You claim to be a programmer, this should be
> simple,
> > > especially in BASIC which you seem to think is for the brain dead. So
> show
> > > us you are not brain dead and lets see your version of this function?
> Please
> > > try not to copy from the web search you are doing now...
> >
> > Hmmmmm, haven't written anything in BASIC since 1984,
> > but I'll give it a try:
> >

> > The following code should run on ANY dialect of BASIC
> > Append appropriate subroutine/function header lines as needed
> > for modern implementations of BASIC.
> >
> > Rem I - input number
> > Rem F - endian-flipped number
> > Rem S - Size of word, in bytes
> > Rem assumption: bitwise operators like "AND" and bit-shifts
> > are unavailable
> > Rem  Storage protocol value 0x12345678
> > Rem         Little Endian Big Endian
> > Rem Example (Vax, Motorola 68x00) Example: IBM mainframes
> > Rem Location
> > REm M 1 8
> > Rem M+1 2 7
> > Rem M+2 3 6
> > Rem M+3 4 5
> > Rem M+4 5 4
> > Rem M+5 6 3
> > Rem M+6 7 2
> > Rem M+7 8 1
> >

> > int I
> > int F
> > int S
> > int N
> >
> > F=0
> >
> > for N = 1 to S                  ; Rem Process 1 byte at a time
> >   F = (F*256) + (I MODULO 256)  ; Rem Get low-order 8 bits
> >   I = I / 256                   ; Rem right shift 8
> > next N
> >
> > return
> >

> welll guess what Aaraon - you couldn't be more wrong. I don't think there
> are barely 10 lines in that code that would eactually execute.

Apparently compact, efficient code is abhorent in the land of
Microsoft, so says Drestin Adress, Soooooooper Genius Programmer.

Not surprising, considering Microsoft code.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: BASIC == Beginners language (Was: Just curious....
Date: 28 Jul 2000 00:47:09 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ANYBODY can do html but obviously you cannot - you don't even have those
> lame skillz

If you were capable of reading for comprehension, you would have realized
that I am not the one who designed that page (mentioned elsewhere in this
thread).

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.society.liberalism
Subject: Re: Aaron Kulkis -- USELESS Idiot -- And His "Enemies" -was- Another
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:49:06 -0400

"Clell A. Harmon" wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:50:07 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Perry Pip wrote:

> >That's NOT what I said, and you know it.
> >

> >> No wonder you can't get laid.
> >
> >my gf says otherwise.
> >hehehehehehe
>
>         Yeah, she says 'No'.

To YOU...

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:53:29 +1000
From: Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Slipping away into time.

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> The problem with FreeBSD is they have the fast kernel but, they rely on
> GNU licensed software for
> just about everything else.  It's practically Linux with a FreeBSD
> kernel and a slightly different install
> mechanism.

FreeBSD is not just a kernel.  Linux is just a kernel.  GNU is just an
organisation with a licence the purpose of which is to keep open source
software open sourced.  GPLed software is not Linux (except for the kernel
of course).  GPLed software may written for and compiled on many different
systems.  I've even seen GPLed windows software.  It's not FreeBSD's fault
if many open source developers for unix-like operating systems decide to
release their software with a GNU licence.  And so what in any case, that's
not a problem.

IanP