From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.infosystems.gis,comp.infosystems.www.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Is there such a thing as a free lunch?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 00:13:45 GMT

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:41:37 +1200, scaddenp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I didn't do so because people involved with GNU and Linux don't need
>>the obvious explained to them.  You may find it "controversial" that
>>folks have been getting and enjoying things like Linux, GNU and WinAmp
>>for free for years but it's not hardly "controversial" in the groups
>>to which you fowarded my little essay.    If you think you have
>>something to say, say it yourself.
>
>Hmm. These strike me as "free" largely meaning "paid for by someone else".
>With most of these projects, it seems to me the US Tax payer is picking up
>the tag. (Thank goodness

        ...compared to paying for these things over and over again year
        after year, even federally funded GNU ends up being more efficient.

        I'm sure you don't relish toll roads.

>I am not in the US). How much of the development do you suppose was done by
>people
>who took salary for the time they spent on the project but where their job
>description doesnt
>include "making free software"? Perhaps a lot of it was encompassed in terms

        It doesn't really matter.

        Software is reusable. A component could still perform it's state
        buisiness function and still be released to the general public.
        The cost would be no different had the software not been released
        and further work and expense might actually be saved.

        Beowulf is a great example of this.

>of "doing
>research for the public good" and getting free software IS the public good.
>However I suspect
>a great many of those $$$ came one way or another from tax.

        ...as does any governmetn activity.

        However, there is no point (or rule) stating that much of the
        redundant programming effort that goes on must continue to go
        on.

>However, I do agree that those of us who download and use the products are
>indeed enjoying
>a largely free lunch (particularly those of us outside the US).

        The free lunch has less to do with government subsidies and more
        to do with the near-zero marginal production cost of intellectual
        property.

--
        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.fan.rush-limbough,soc.singles
Subject: Re: AARON KULKIS...USENET SPAMMER, LIAR, AND THUG
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 20:19:00 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >The current widespread ownership of stock by all classes throughout
> >society is the pinnacle of capitalism.
>
>         Thus, we live in ... what would be a suitable term? ... I think I
> found the perfect term ... a worker's paradise, right?
>
>         Stock is nothing more than Pokemon cards unless one is both able

Pokemon cards pay dividends????

> and willing to use one's stock ownership to exert pressure on a company's
> management, such as vote them out of office.

I get voting proxies all the time.  If it's an issue I understand, I
fill out my proxy.  If I don't understand the issue, I abstain from
voting.  The point is, the stockholders share a mutual interest:
making a profit!

You realize, of course, that not only are you a liar, you are also an
idiot.

> >> In fact, the Ferengi ideal of capitalism is to not only acknowledge
> >> the reality of exploitation, but to become the exploiter.
> >Nobody forces you to do anything (other than fork over taxes to
> >feed and house the freeloaders)
>
>         According to your arguments, one is not forced if one can avoid
> that, and one can indeed do so by moving to some other country.

Sophistry is not victory, you idiot.

> >>         And yes, under Communism, anyone could become a Party boss if
> >> they tried.
> >All you had to do is display the greatest willingness to arbitrarily
> >jail and/or kill anybody who refused to conform.
>
>         You're *complaining* about that?

Yes, I am.

>From your question, it can only be inferred, that YOU, LOREN PETRICH,
see nothing wrong with arbitrarily jailing and executing any citizen
who doesn't conform to the dictator's wishes.

> >>         Also, why don't Mr. Kulkis or Mr. Rebbechi run for President and
> >> and use the Presidency to turn the US into an anarcho-capitalist utopia?
> >1. Anarchy is the state of having no government.  How does one become
> >president of a government which doesn't exist, moron?
>
>         One becomes President to *dismantle* the government in this case.

Then why don't you do just that.

> >2. I have not the slightest interest in anarchy.  Government has a
> >legitimate purpose....something which is quite evident when one
> >visits many neighborhoods of Detroit--a city which has foregone
> >basic governmental obligations in pursuit of implementing a
> >marxist government.
>
>         How is Detroit's city government "Marxist"? The last I saw of it,
> it was *not* acting like some Communist country. And Commies are *very*
> big on law and order.

Mayor Coleman Young was a DELAGATE in the Communist Party for over
30 years.

> >> Are those gentlemen too lazy to do so?
> >I have better things to do than to be president of a government
> >that doesn't exist.
>
>         President of a government that doesn't exist? You'll be presiding
> over Utopia, at least according to your beliefs.

You're the one advocating that I run for "president" of an anarchy.

> --
> Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train
> My home page: http://www.petrich.com/home.html

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 20:23:15 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 18:31:39 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >MH wrote:
> >Then abolish the income tax and replace it with a sales tax.
> >
> >That way, the Kennedys and Rockefellers will start paying their share.
>
> Consumption taxes hit the lower and middle classes harder because they
> spend a greater portion of their income.

1. Make an exemptiong for food (unprepared, not restaurant purchases)
and medicine.

2. It encourages savings and investment

3. PROPORTION of doesn't matter.  Are you trying to say that high wages
        earners use MORE government resources than low-wage earners?

Even at a flat-rate income tax, how can you justify a $60,000/year
family paying 3x as much taxes as the $20,000/year family when the
$20,000/year family typically consumes FAR more community resources????

What would be far fairest of all would be if everyone paid the same
DOLLAR AMOUNT in taxes, REGARDLESS of income.

> Personally, I think MH is greatly exaggerating the amount of tax evasion.
> Small businesses dodge taxes or help their employees do the same ( until
> they get audited ! ) but it's pretty hard for public companies to do it.
>
> --
> Donovan

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.society.liberalism,soc.singles
Subject: Re: one  of Lenin's Useful Idiots denies reality
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 20:26:49 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Loren Petrich wrote:
>
> >>         From a grove of birch trees it came.
> >Is that tired, worn-out phrase the best you can do, Closet-dicatator?
>
>         What can one expect from someone who seems like he's live among
> John Birch trees? ;-)

You are a Goddamned Fucking Lying Prick!

You had better hope that I ***NEVER*** find myself in Livermore,
California,
or I will amuse myself very thoroughly in ways that will make you
scream in horror.

Do you understand, you lying propagandistic fuckwad?

> >>         Ayn Rand, novelist and idolizer of capitalism.
> >Correction: Liberty.  You have something against individual rights?
>
>         Presumably the right to practice capitalism.
>
>         Which would make fencing stolen goods *very* good. And Napster
> *very* good. Etc. etc. etc.

Once again, LOREN THE COMMUNIST can't proceed without concocting lies.

Please name one Libertarian who condones theft.

Conversely, you and your ilk not only condone theft, you actually
encourage it.

> >>         Thus making failure to construct a well-behaved process much less
> >> costly. DOS is much better at punishing failure :-)
>
> >DOS penalizes all process for the mistakes of one by crashing.
>
>         It's not the processes that count, it's the computer user. And
> Linux and similar OSes are bad, according to Kulkis's ideology, because
> they don't punish users enough.
>
> --
> Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train
> My home page: http://www.petrich.com/home.html

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 20:31:04 -0400
From: Jim Sculley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Mike Byrns is quite obviously a crack addict.

Such ad hominem attacks do nothing to support your position.  It does
little more than make you look like a complete fool.  Argue on technical
facts.  Otherwise, and I hope you will do this anyway, trim c.l.j.a from
the headers.  We currently have a full complement of irrational posters
here.  Your services, and those of your 'opponents' are really not
needed.

Jim S.

From: "2 + 2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 20:34:15 -0400

Mats Olsson wrote in message <8m74co$dbj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>In article <u_Ch5.5822$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>"Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:8m6f7f$hf3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>>
>>> Partitionable or non-partitionable data?
>>
>>Doesn't matter to the TPC.  Both are explicate allowed.
>
>    Yep. Of course, to anyone trying to decide what the TPC/C numbers
>_mean_ and how useful the number is, it is crucial to know whether it
>used partitioning or not.
>
>    For example, if you are doing read-only database work, then the
>partitioned numbers can be pretty interresting.
>
>    OTH, if you need to do handle ecommerce and want all those writes in
>one database, then you want to look at the non-partitioned versions.
>
>    So, while it is legal to use tpm/C for both partitioned and
>non-partitioned runs, it is extremly important to know whether or not
>it was partitioned runs.
>
>    On the other hand, if all you want to do is benchmarketing, the
>difference is of course neglible.

You overlook the fact that the IBM result of 444,000 tpm is on 4 clusters.
Each non-clustered box has 110,000 tpm, which approaches the Sun mark of
136,000, AT ROUGHLY THE SAME PRICE.

Not only that but the IBM uses the COM+ development model allowing
components to gain transaction services by selecting this attribute. The Sun
system is using a legacy programming model with BEA's Tuxedo TP monitor,
which is being replaced by EJB, which likewise is a component model, except
no benchmarks have been submitted.

2 + 2

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To:
comp.infosystems.gis,comp.infosystems.www.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 00:38:06 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Dan Jacobson would say:
>In comp.infosystems.gis, Dimitri Rotow posted controversial opinion #4 etc.
>below, hereby crossposted to relevant groups for truth merit evaluation.
>Thanks.

Well, it starts off with the pretty critical error of mistaking
"price" for "cost," which makes some of the arguments pretty
questionable.

There may be no _price_ put on transferring email from host to host,
but there most certainly is _some_ cost to it.  There are various
other valid points made, but I'm not sure they overcome the poor
start...

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>
"What a depressingly stupid machine."  -- Marvin

------------------------------

From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: trying to break a patent
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 00:26:27 GMT

In article <8m78bm$ak0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

This one is a no brainer!!

First of all there were numerous prior disclosures via GPL software.
This includes some of the earliest firewalls and the free-wais server.
also, check out http://www.open4success.com/Olnews.

This technology includes numerous references to technology
intuitively derived from publicly available sources that
should completely invalidate this patent.

It's like trying to patent TCP/IP in 2000.

> I am trying to invalidate a patent entitled
> "Remote Information Service
> Access System Based on a Client-Server-Service Model" (U.S. patent
> number 5,544,320, available at www.uspto.gov).  The inventor claims to
> have invented a variation on client-server computing back in 1993.
The
> patent supposedly covers a computer system including a local computer
> connected to a remote computer over a network.  The patent requires 2
> separate processes on the local computer and 4 separate processes on
the
> remote computer, as follows:  On the local computer:  (1) a human
> interface server (e.g., an X Window server) and (2) a starter client
> process that kicks off a starter server process on the remote
> computer.

>  On the remote computer:
> (1) a starter server process that kicks off a
> (2) starter "service" process that kicks off a
> (3) remote object  client, which interacts with a
> (4) utility service (e.g., a database).

Sounds very much like the ip daemon on UNIX to me.  This precedes
1993 including patent law for software by nearly 12 years.  This
was first disclosed under the BSD license with BSD 2.x (can't remember
the exact release).

Futhermore, the practice of contacting a service to start another
service has been used on UNIX as a general practice since the late
1970s, to prevent the creation of "zombies".

>  The basic idea is that a remote object client
> acts as an intermediary
> between the human interface server on the local
> computer and the remote
> utility service on the remote computer,

Yawn!  Next you'll be telling me he's patented overlapping windows
(somebody tried, but prior public disclosures in 1978 blew that one
 away).

> with the added twist that
> "starter" processes on the local and remote
> computer get things rolling.

Sorry, this has been done on UNIX systems, including
workstation/server and server/server environments since 1983.
Unless your patent holder is Bill Joy, the person in question
is probably treading on very thin ice.

>  The patent owner is suing a bunch of companies in Texas for patent
> infringement, claiming that because they access databases over the
> Internet, they infringe his patent.  Any assistance would be greatly
> appreciated.

This topic was widely discussed in Tannenbaum's book prior to the
availability of software patents.

Merely being the first to apply for a patent does not mean that you
are implicitly entitled to the patent.  Even if the patent was granted,
it still has to be something that can't be intuitively derived from
information available, and can't be based on previously disclosed
information, especially public domain or public license information.

There have been numerous cases where people have tried to patent
software that had been copyrighted and published openly for many
years BY OTHER PEOPLE.  It's a bit like registering trademarks in
other countries after a major company in the U.S. has established
the brand (or vice versa).

--
Rex Ballard - Open Source Advocate, Internet
I/T Architect, MIS Director

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Can Linux get the job done?  Are there Linux apps for.....
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 00:43:56 GMT

wheat wrote:

> And as for browser plugins, while there is no quicktime and
> no shockwave plugin, there is a Flash plugin.  Why won't
> Apple release a Linux port of their Quicktime player?

Maybe Linus had some henchmen go to Apple and tell them
to "knife the baby", haw haw.

Chris

--
[X] Check here to always trust content from Chris
[ ] Check here to always trust e-mail sent using Microsoft software