  Re: Unix more secure, huh? ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Id Software developer prefers OS X to Linux, NT
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 01:13:32 GMT

"C Lund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <8q2ts5$jbq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "James Stutts"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > I mean - you guys haven't managed to tell me about *one* single new thing
> > > in W2K.
> > Active Directory?  Game support combined with SMP?  Why don't you look it up
> > yourself?
>
> Why should I? I'm never going to use that OS anyway.

Then why do you ask questions about it? Why do you insist on putting it down
when you obviously don't know even the most basic fundamentals in computing.

Perhaps you should keep your fingers away from the keyboard until you get half
a clue like the rest of the folks in your group then you can make comments.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 01:14:48 GMT

"Chad Irby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Loren Petrich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually, Win2K is simply WinNT 5 -- same kernel, save overall
> > > features, the works.
> >
> > Not only isn't it the same kernel, but the overall features have been
> > enhanced with some new features added.
>
> Look at that again.  He didn't say NT 4... he said NT 5.  "Windows 2000"
> is merely the release name for the fifth version of WIndows NT.

But he also said "-- same kernel, same overall features" which is
incorrect.

I grow tired of reading for you people...

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Public v. Private Schools
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:13:05 -0400

Jason Bowen wrote:

> In article <39c54bdd$3$obot$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Bob Germer  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >No one has provided any irrefutable scientific proof which is universally
> >accepted that CFC's have cause any climatic changes. There are theories
> >put forth by some scientists which are not accepted by others with equal
> >prominence.
>
> Which is why things are called theories and studied.  Dismissing something
> because there is a disagreement is the sign of stupidity.
> >
> >You on the other hand are too stupid to recognize valid analogy when you
> >read it. Sad, sad, sad. About what one expects from liberals like you.
>
> You're analogy was very poor.  There is proof that CFC's are by-products
> of certain aerosols, simple chemistry shows that.  CFS's also destroy O3,

Dork...

Clue for the fucking clueless.  Chloro-Flouro-Carbons were routinely
used as aerosol propellents...the use of such was outlawed in the US
during the Carter Administration...that was 1977...over 20 years ago.

As for other countries....quit bitching about the US if the crime which
you are accusing them of is something which

A) has been a discontinued practice here for years...and
B) is still legal in your own country.

> plenty of proof for that.  I don't know about Joe, but I am no liberal,
> pretty conservative actually.  I just am not facist and know not to
> dismiss something that might hurt one of my beliefs.  You are too small of
> a person to do such a thing and are more of a facist than a conservative.
> Too bad you are too fucking stupid to provide real proof for your beliefs.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Rich C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:21:35 -0400

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I believe VMS has some kind of file versioning system ( so if you
overwrite
> a file, it keeps the old one. If you accidently hose something, you
> can "roll back" ). But I don't know very much about it.

The VMS file versioning system simply adds a version attribute (;v) as a
number after the file name. If you simply name the file, without the
version, VMS will operate on the latest (highest) version number.
Alternatively, you can specify another version. For example, if I have:

myfile.c;1
myfile.c;2

and I edit myfile.c;1 and save it, it will be saved as myfile.c;3. There is
also a command that will purge all older versions, although I can't recall
offhand what it is , and I don't have access to a VAX at the moment.

[snip]

-- Rich C.
"Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people."

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:14:47 -0400

JS/PL wrote:

> "Jason Bowen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> > You're analogy was very poor.  There is proof that CFC's are by-products
> > of certain aerosols, simple chemistry shows that.  CFS's also destroy O3,
> > plenty of proof for that.
>
> How long does it take for the cfc's to even reach the ozone? I've heard as
> high as 50 years. In which case you might as well consider it destroyed no
> matter what fix gets implemented now.

03 is constantly broken down by various compounds (the source of over
99% are the ocean and volcanic gases), and regenerated (by UV radiation
from the sun).

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:18:13 -0400

Jason Bowen wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Jason Bowen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> >> You're analogy was very poor.  There is proof that CFC's are by-products
> >> of certain aerosols, simple chemistry shows that.  CFS's also destroy O3,
> >> plenty of proof for that.
> >
> >How long does it take for the cfc's to even reach the ozone? I've heard as
> >high as 50 years. In which case you might as well consider it destroyed no
> >matter what fix gets implemented now.
>
> whoa, wait a minute, you mean you have read on this and don't just spout
> your belief system?!?! ;-).  There are a couple of naturally occuring
> sources of Chlorine based gases, CH3Cl and HCL.  Marine plankton produces
> a lot but only accounts for 0.6ppb and the current stratospheric
> concentration is 3.3ppb so obviously there is another source.  Volcanoes
> provide a lot of HCL but most of this is scrubbed from the air by the
> rain, hence the reason why even major eruptions only affect climate for 1
> to 2 years and that is from ash and Sulfur based emissions.  Little HCL
> from eruptions makes it to the stratosphere. So most of the CFC's are
> anthropogenic with lifespans of 60-120 years.  The levels have been steady
> though since Freon-11 and Freon-12, both CFC's, have been banned.  Now
> only if we could take the extra ozone that makes the city air so damn
> dirty and ship it to Anartica, then we'd have a solution to 2 problems.

You're a nitwit.  The only reason R-11 and R-12 were banned is because
they are cheap, highly effective refrigerants...and it's hard to
extort money from original equipment manufacturers when practically
anybody can make the stuff in their garage.

So...the "solution"...outlaw this low-profit margin chemical, so that
all must bow to the gods of E. I. Dupont de Nemours and Company.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re: The Government's Decision to Use Microsoft
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:21:40 -0400

Bringing this back into the world of the less computer-literate

Steve wrote:

> This speaks more to pac4854 than to ATG:
>
>     As a network security type, I wanted to bring up a Linux box for
> configuration management and network monitoring.  Alas, I was not allowed to
> do so.  The exact quote from some other systems manager was "radical

> operating systems such as Linux would promote instability and open numerous

> security holes in our NT LAN environment."
>
> So, part of what pac says is true - the DoD can buy just about anything -
> unfortunately they view an OS, that imho, has better network mapping, node
> management and traffic analysis, as "radical and unstable" (yeah NOT!!)
>
> THIS is why I'm getting out in 6 months.
>
> BTW, anyone out there want to hire a 9302 & 2735 with 8 years experience???
> Preferably Seattle area.
>
> Cheers,
>
>   Steve
>
> ATG wrote:
>
> > - Per the original article if it was up to the lead engineer he would have
> > used Linux/Unix as the operating system.  Windows was --FORCED-- upon him.
> >
> > - Also, as an employee of the DON we can purchase any computer system that
> > we require with the following limitations:
> >      It must run a processor from Intel
> >      It must run Windows 95, 98, NT.
> >      Other then that we can purchase anything we want.
> >      (Oh, and starting in Sept/Oct each and every system purchased will
> > cost the US tax payers a min of $3400.)
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > > The system that fell over on the Yorktown was a bridge navigation
> > > control system.  There is no requirement for processing sensitive data
> > > on such a system, and in all probability the box was properly stickered
> > > with a label stating such.
> > >
> > > The DoD can purchase anything it wants under a waiver system that is
> > > part of the purchasing criteria you mention.  If Navy feels that Linux
> > > provides a better solution for a navigation control system than any
> > > other OS, they will apply for and be granted a waiver and the TCSEC and
> > > all its rainbow books can go to hell.
> > >
> > > You really want Linux on an aircraft carrier?  Then how much money will
> > > Redhat contribute to election campaigns this year?  How many political
> > > action committees do they finance?  How many executive retreats for
> > > military top echelon have they sponsored?  How many country club
> > > memberships, junkets to Hawaii, hookers, dinners, and luxury cars have
> > > they bought and paid for?  That's what makes for a successful contract
> > > award, not some stupid nonsensical security classification.
> > >
> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:22:35 -0400

reposting back to where the thread started

Thomas Corriher wrote:

> [...]
> reason with someone who is your manager, but has no
> comprehension of the subject matter; and has already decided
> "the right way" to do things?  You can't do it.  You have
> to play "whipping boy" since all the unavoidable problems
> are "your fault".  Your problems are "your attitude" since
> you never learned about management's "right way" of doing
> things.  This may sound like I am saying that you cannot
> win.  That is because it is exactly what I am saying.
>
> Steve it gets worse....  :(
>
> If you think you can escape stupidity by enlisting (cute, eh?)
> in corporate America, then you should brace yourself for a
> big surprise.  You will often see the same stupidity.  Many
> times the biggest difference is that you will see your managers
> wearing ties instead of rank.
>
> I have heard of banks utilizing NT for the "enhanced security"
> (no shit!).  No doesn't that scare the piss out of you?  The
> problem of stupidity is pervasive, so you cannot escape it.
> The degree of it in governmental agencies may be significantly
> greater, but it still exists everywhere.  I have heard that
> the greatest damage done on the world of IT by Microsoft is
> a pervasive lowering of standards.  I agree with that statement.
> I think it applies to both technology and the overall
> competence of "technology professionals".  That title is used
> very liberally nowadays.  Ever hear of cases when MCSEs have to
> have IRQs explained to them?  Should we laugh about it or cry
> about it?  Many of the "A+" techs fall into the same category,
> because they learned everything from a book.  For instance,
> they like to argue that BIOS stands for "Basic Input Output
> System".  This comes from a mistake in the A+ study guides, and
> it is FAR from the only one.  Certain companies would probably
> like to keep the myth alive because of the reference to "basic".
> For those that do not know: BIOS stands for BINARY Input Output
> System.  A MCSE wanted to argue this point with me not long ago.
> Sad...  My provider Bellsouth is now offering "secure PPP
> connections utilizing the security of a Windows NT network"
> (not VPN - PPP).  Stop and think about that for a moment.
> Just try not to laugh.  Can you do it?
>
> One a lighter note: The stupidity does help me feel better
> about myself.  This stuff helps me to feel confident that
> my knowledge makes me much more qualified than the average
> technician.  I love to read many of the security bulletins
> in the Net because they leave me feeling very special.
>
> Steve, it seems like you do not have long to wait before
> you receive your Navy career benefits.  I strongly suggest
> waiting it out.  There is no dishonor in waiting to receive
> the benefits that you have earned over your years of service.
> Running to corporate America will not guarantee that the
> stupidity situation will improve.  Wait out your time, so
> that your benefits provide you an economic safety net.
>
>   "Never test the depth of the water with both feet at

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix more secure, huh?
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:31:05 -0400

"Paul 'Z' Ewande©" wrote:

> "sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
> 8q0n8r$ipc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> <SNIP> Some stuff </SNIP>
>
> > And I supose that all the MS OS users are current on patchs??? I doubt
> > that.
>
> Huh, that's exactly is point. Windows users are expected to be behind
> security patches, what's funny is that the supposedly smarter Un*x admins
> aren't all current neither. :)

prove it.

> Paul 'Z' Ewande

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:35:19 -0400

"Jason Bowen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8q3lun$2un$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Jason Bowen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> >> You're analogy was very poor.  There is proof that CFC's are
by-products
> >> of certain aerosols, simple chemistry shows that.  CFS's also destroy
O3,
> >> plenty of proof for that.
> >
> >How long does it take for the cfc's to even reach the ozone? I've heard
as
> >high as 50 years. In which case you might as well consider it destroyed
no
> >matter what fix gets implemented now.
>
> whoa, wait a minute, you mean you have read on this and don't just spout
> your belief system?!?! ;-).  There are a couple of naturally occuring
> sources of Chlorine based gases, CH3Cl and HCL.  Marine plankton produces
> a lot but only accounts for 0.6ppb and the current stratospheric
> concentration is 3.3ppb so obviously there is another source.  Volcanoes
> provide a lot of HCL but most of this is scrubbed from the air by the
> rain, hence the reason why even major eruptions only affect climate for 1
> to 2 years and that is from ash and Sulfur based emissions.  Little HCL
> from eruptions makes it to the stratosphere. So most of the CFC's are
> anthropogenic with lifespans of 60-120 years.  The levels have been steady
> though since Freon-11 and Freon-12, both CFC's, have been banned.  Now
> only if we could take the extra ozone that makes the city air so damn
> dirty and ship it to Anartica, then we'd have a solution to 2 problems.

I haven't read about it much. But one little tidbit I found rediculous was
the billion or so the US government paid to convert the refrigeration
systems in our nuclear missiles over to ozone friendly refrigerant. I'd hate
to see the non ozone friendly chemicals released into the atmosphere when
the missile explodes

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:32:50 -0400

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8q0n8r$ipc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > And I supose that all the MS OS users are current on patchs??? I doubt
> > that.
>
> No, I think that there are lots of users out there under the mistaken
> impression that they can install a Linux firewall and "forget about it"
> because it "just runs".  I know people running firewalls on 2 or 3 year old
> copies of Linux or FreeBSD.  Never applying even a single patch because they
> aren't Unix people.  They just installed the firewall on the advice of a
> unix person that is no longer with the company.

So, somehow, this is somehow the responsibility of someone other than
the admins?

ignorant admins are ignorant admins, regardless of what OS is chosen.

The difference is...in the hands of COMPETENT admins, Linux/Unix is MUCH
more secure.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.