Linux-Advocacy Digest #165, Volume #34            Thu, 3 May 01 18:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux has one chance left......... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Seán Ó Donnchadha")
  Re: Primary and secondary missions (Ray Fischer)
  Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Ray Fischer)
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Daniel Johnson")
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Ray Fischer)
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Daniel Johnson")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Daniel Johnson")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Daniel Johnson")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Daniel Johnson")
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Ray Fischer)
  Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Just for chuckles (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Seán Ó Donnchadha")
  Re: Primary and secondary missions ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Just for chuckles (Nigel Feltham)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux has one chance left.........
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:02:48 GMT

On 03 May 2001 02:38:12 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
wrote:

>For a self confessed non coder, you seem suprisingly mis informed

All it takes is one look at Freshmeat for a non coder to move on.
Maybe all those libraries and other snippets of half finished code
mean something special to the geeks, but to me, most of it is useless.

>"Steve,Mike,Heather,Simon,teknite,keymaster,keys88,Sewer Rat,
>S,Sponge,Sarek,piddy,McSwain,pickle_pete,Ishmeal_hafizi,Amy,
>Simon777,Claire,Flatfish+++,Flatfish">

Huh?

>> Hey maybe SLRN will finally reach v 1.0.
>
>What's the rush, slrn has been totally stable for me, since 1997?

That's nice.

>Linux isn't interested in BIG numbers, only stability and reliability.

Good thing because it doesn't have any. Big numbers that is, at least
on the desktop.

>Flattyhas already 'forgotten' how MS jumped whole version numbers on WORD
>because they had fallen behind Word Perfect, in the 'version number' game.

I haven't forgotten, because I don't use Word nor do I use any other
MS applications except Windows and FlightSim.

>How short and exclusive the memory of the average Wintroll is.

And how shallow the typical LinoNut is.

Terry, you really should go to a comedy show sometime so you can learn
to be funny.

>> Flatfish
>>

>--
>Kind Regards
>Terry

Flatfish

------------------------------

From: "Seán Ó Donnchadha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 17:03:37 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Microsoft was convicted of having a monopoly on PC OSes.  The evidence
> >> provided in the prosecutions argument was their use of monopoly power
in
> >> one market (PC OSes) to attempt to gain monopoly in another (web
> >> browsers), thereby proving they have a monopoly in PC OSes.
> >
> >No, psycho. Assuming what you're trying to prove doesn't work.
>
> I didn't assume what you're trying to prove;

Of course not, Brainstein. You assumed what *YOU* are trying to prove - that
Microsoft is a monopoly, and is therefore capable of using monopoly power in
one market to gain monopoly in another.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Fischer)
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,us.military.army
Subject: Re: Primary and secondary missions
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:04:04 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ray Fischer wrote:
>> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Any genes that don't get successfully passed on to members of the next
>> >generation that THEY THEMSELVES reproduce are.....eliminated.
>>
>> So what?
>>
>> >In other words....genetic success is NOT determined by having children,
>> >it's determined by whether or not one has grandchildren.
>>
>> Why do you think "genetic success" is of relevance to anything?
>
>DNA which doesn't reproduce, is, by definition, a failure.

By whose definition?

--
Ray Fischer         When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  into you  --  Nietzsche

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:04:08 GMT

On Wed, 02 May 2001 21:30:34 -0500, WJP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Wed, 02 May 2001 19:28:48 -0400, Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>//snipped for brevity//
>

>>I checked using xdpyinfo, and Xvideo was running, and it still wanted to
>>use the Xshm extension.  I probably need something else, though, such as
>>dri/drm.  My video card is a Sis 5597/5598 (which probably explains
>>it).  I'm using the Xfree 4.x development version from the cvs
>>repository.  All my other graphics animations seem to be pretty decent
>>WRT speed in X, though, although that probably doesn't mean xine is
>>going to give me decent animations.
>>

>This is an perfect example of why Linux is such a challenge to users
>unfamiliar with the "lingo" of Linux.  "xdpyinfo"?  "Xshm extension"?
>"dri/drm"?  "cvs repository"?  "xine"?  Gosh, I wonder how many hours it
>will take me to search through the "howto's" and "whereis's" and
>"linuxdoc.org" to just understand this one paragraph.  Whew!!
>
>Definitly a challenge, to say the least!
>
>YMMV
>
>Regards,
>Bill Powell
>USAF/USA (Ret) Management Systems Analyst
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

And how valuable is your time?

Flatfish

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Fischer)
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:04:18 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ray Fischer wrote:
>> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >So, to summarize, you believe that homosexual attraction is genetically
>> >determined.
>>
>> Research to date (and common sense) indicates as much.
>>
>> >In other words, it is a birth defect,
>>
>> In your opinion.
>
>DNA which fails to reproduce is, by definition, defective.

Says who?

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:04:56 GMT

> Daniel Johnson wrote:
> > I would say that Windows mutation into a full
> > blown OS began with Windows/386, which started
> > to do the virtual-machine thing.
>
> No, that was merely a graphical front-end to DOS.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

At *no* time was Windows *just* a graphical
front-end. Even the first version provided device
indepedant printing, dynamic library support, and
some rather crude multitasking.

Windows/386 was the one that first had DOS boxes,
or so I understand it. I believe that this is the code that
was elaborated into what is now the Win32 subsystem
of Windows 95.

[snip]

By the way, has anyone ever told you your .sig
is too long?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Fischer)
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:04:58 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Matt Kennel wrote:
>>  Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> :So, to summarize, you believe that homosexual attraction is genetically
>> :determined.
>>
>> The twin and brother studies seem to indicate that it is
>>
>> :In other words, it is a birth defect, just like congenital mental retardation.
>>
>> Or being black or lithuanian.
>
>Being black or lithaunian doesn't interfere with the survival of
>the DNA's lineage.

Does being Jewish "interfere with the survival of the DNA's lineage"?

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:05:00 GMT

> Daniel Johnson wrote:
> > Compaq seems to think that people like you- you know, anti-MS
> > zealots- are not a big enough a big enough market to be worth servicing.
>
> Self-fulfilling prophecy.

I don't see how. If they misjudge the market, some
other vendor will get those sales.

It's not like every vendor signed up to those
per-processor OEM licenses. Some obviously
saw things differently than Compaq.

> By the way, signing contract to EXCLUDE other vendors is illegal.

Nobody is claiming MS did this, you know. Even
you have not, not that I've seen.

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:05:06 GMT

> Daniel Johnson wrote:
> > Microsoft did not risk getting anal about this until
> > 1995, when Windows 3's position was already very
> > strong.
>
> It's still Illegal
>
> Hope that helps.

I hope that even you can admit that any
law that consigns us all to DOS forevermore
is a bad law. :D

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:05:12 GMT

> Daniel Johnson wrote:
> > > DR-DOS was not second rate. It included things susch as disk
compression
> > > that MS-DOS did not. It also forced Gates to either lower prices or at
> > > least not raise them.
> >
> > DR-DOS only looks good next to MS-DOS. It's junk
> > next to Windows.
>
> Considering that DR-DOS was never meant to be a GUI, but, in fact,
> a platform which could, among other things RUN windows on it...

DR-DOS, like MS-DOS, was a lousy platform for
something like Windows, never mind desktop
applications.

> what is your point, exactly?

My point is that Microsoft's competition is
mostly very poor as a development platform
for desktop apps.

That is emphatically true of DR-DOS.

I know you don't like to think about what
Windows offered developers- it makes it too
obvious what merit the platform had, and
indeed still has.

But it was developers who made Windows
king by writing the best apps for it. DOS
apps couldn't compete; they didn't have the
tools to match the quality that Windows apps
could put out.

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:05:18 GMT

> >You made me curious so I looked for my special leather bound version of
> >the Word for Windows 1.0 manual I received as a ship gift:  Word for
> >Windows 1.0 required Windows version 2.03 or later.  If you didn't have
> >Windows installed Word came with a special cut-down version of Windows
> >so it could run without the full version being installed.
>
> Well, it might say that, but Word for Windows was not available until
> Windows 3.0 was released.  Your "special leather bound version" sounds
> like a beta; I was up on all this stuff, since I was teaching courses in
> it at the time, and I've never seen or heard of Word coming with the
> run-time Windows.

I've got an old copy of the July 1990 PC/Computing
magazine, which had a review of Windows 3.0. It's
really, really effusive in its praise for the product. Bill
Gates musta blushed, if he read it.

They show screenshots of Word for Windows running
under Windows 3.0; but it has 2d (black and white)
scrollbars and so on. Just like Windows 2 had.

I find this fact difficult to explain if, indeed,
it never ran on Windows 2.

I really think you are mistaken about this.

>  (Those weren't "cut-down" versions at all, BTW, they
> were just the regular Win2 or Win286/386 (mostly the latter) that were
> bundled with apps.  It was called "run time", but it was simply Windows.

Well, that's what Windows was at the beginning.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Fischer)
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:06:16 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ray Fischer wrote:
>> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Evaluating people on their behavior is NOT prejudice...it is postjudice
>>
>> But being a homosexual is not behavior any more than being heterosxual
>> is.
>
>Sticking your penis in some guy's anus isn't behavior?

Why are you changing the subject?

Or are you too stupid a bigot to know the difference between
"homosexual" and "homosexual behavior"?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:08:25 GMT

On Thu, 3 May 2001 18:59:42 +1200, Matthew Gardiner
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> My wife does something similar to your methods when using Word. Her
>>> method only vairies from yours in the areas of *bad language* when Word
>>> misbehaves and lockups of her Windows98 OS.
>
>My parents use Lotus Smart Suite 9.5 on Windows 2000 Pro, and experience
>none of those problems.
>
>Matthew Gardiner

That's because Smartsuite is a high quality product. I've been using
is for ages ever since WordPro was that other program I can't remember
th name of.

Smartsuite is without a doubt the best office suite on the market, but
MS steamrolls it with FUD and it is unfortunate.

Flatfish

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Just for chuckles
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:13:09 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, pip
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 03 May 2001 10:35:40 +0100
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Adam Warner wrote:
>> M$ marketing crap:
>> Linux has "Poor support for Java"
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Now THAT is funny! You should forward that to Sun to make 'em chuckle.

How does one "support Java" anyway?  Code up a JVM which is to spec,
and that's about as much support as Java needs.....?!

                    Hi.  What's your sign?  Mine's "Out To Lunch".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:17:14 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, T. Max Devlin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 03 May 2001 15:03:09 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Said Greg Cox in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 02 May 2001 23:15:52
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>   [...]
>>I don't know what you mean by "after BASIC was trashed" since ROM BASIC
>>was shipped in every IBM PC and IBM XT box.  Or are you talking about
>>the MS-BASIC that shipped with every version of DOS?
>
>No, I was referring to the ROM BASIC, and so obviously I would be
>talking about after the XT.  That would be the AT, no?

The original PC had a ROM basic, IIRC.  At some point -- probably
early in the 386 period -- it got dumped, presumably because no
one cared about it any longer.

[rest snipped]

                    Life's getting too complicated, even listening to the radio.

------------------------------

From: "Seán Ó Donnchadha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 17:18:52 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >No, psycho. What you have a need for is some strong medication.
> >*G*U*F*F*A*W*!!!
>
> Wow.  What happened, did your meds where off unexpectedly or something?

No, nutjob. I just find your grasp of antitrust law and rational debate
absolutely guff-AWFUL!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

"Where off" indeed... Shall we add grammar to that list? That would
certainly explain your chronic difficulties with the language of the law.

> >The choices are out there and have been out there since the dawn of PCs.
>
> Yup, and nobody's buying them.

Shhh!!! Better not let Apple or your fellow Slashdot nutjobs on your little
secret, Troll M. After all, they're still convinced that *SOMEBODY* out
there is buying alternatives to Microsoft systems...

> Adam Smith theorized that such a
> situation would require some anti-competitive activity,

... or superior products, that is.

Oh, and please, allow me. Inevitable Devlin Bullshit (tm) Response: Superior
products cannot be used to monopolize; therefore, since Microsoft
monopolized, their products cannot have been superior.

And a WHOOSH! Round and round we go, eh Troll M.?

> Legal theories of anti-trust differ, of course, but almost all of them
> agree that you are wrong.

I wouldn't bet on it, Sweetie. Legal theories are for people. You are a
slug.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,us.military.army
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 17:28:56 -0400

Ray Fischer wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Ray Fischer wrote:

> >> So what?

> >> Why do you think "genetic success" is of relevance to anything?
> >
> >DNA which doesn't reproduce, is, by definition, a failure.
>
> By whose definition?

The very PURPOSE of DNA is to reproduce itself in the next generation.

DNA which fails to produce, by whatever methods, a new generation of
itself, is a failure.

> --
> Ray Fischer         When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  into you  --  Nietzsche

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 17:29:14 -0400

Ray Fischer wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Ray Fischer wrote:

> >> Research to date (and common sense) indicates as much.

> >> In your opinion.
> >
> >DNA which fails to reproduce is, by definition, defective.
>
> Says who?

Anybody with a clue.

> --
> Ray Fischer         When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  into you  --  Nietzsche

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 17:29:40 -0400

Ray Fischer wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Matt Kennel wrote:
> >>  Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> :So, to summarize, you believe that homosexual attraction is genetically
> >> :determined.
> >>
> >> The twin and brother studies seem to indicate that it is
> >>
> >> :In other words, it is a birth defect, just like congenital mental retardation.
> >>
> >> Or being black or lithuanian.
> >
> >Being black or lithaunian doesn't interfere with the survival of
> >the DNA's lineage.
>
> Does being Jewish "interfere with the survival of the DNA's lineage"?

Depends if you're in 1930's Europe or not.

> --
> Ray Fischer         When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  into you  --  Nietzsche

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 22:45:13 +0100

> >"A number of OEMs offering 99.9% uptime guarantees on Windows NT Server
> >4.0" (as if the three nines was supposed to be impressive)
>
> As if its not a lie, as well.

This is true.

Think about it - if NT takes 10 minutes to boot then that 10 minutes is the
0.1% downtime. This makes the uptime 9990 minutes or 166.5 hours or 6.93
days - or 1 week uptime per each 10 minutes needed to reboot, hardly
impressive. Most Unix boxes could achieve the same percentage uptime even
if they were crippled enough to take a whole day to boot.