  Re: Which Linux should I try? (Charlie Ebert)

From: "Robert Schumacher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.windows2000,alt.linux,alt.windows98,alt.linux.os
Subject: Re: - Windows has made me stupid !!! Thanks, Bill. (Windows is worst than
Crack-Cocaine) - (I got to say it again!!!)
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 03:48:34 GMT

Like a little cheese with that whine?

--
Robert Schumacher
remove IDONTTHINKSO to reply by e-mail

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 08 Aug 2000 21:49:00 -0600

New_User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm hoping Linux can rehabilitate me. Make my brain work again.

A good first step would be to read Emily's Usenet FAQ:

So that you can be as annoying as other posters in these groups (Good
News!  You're well on your way by posting the same message twice with
different subject lines!).  Promote net abuse today, after all you
couldn't possibly let one post go unanswered and he with the most hits
on deja wins.

Linux, however, can't fix these problems; sadly, it's only an operating
system for your computer.  Windows does not make you stupid and Linux
will not make you smart.

Best of luck!

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite number of monkeys)
Subject: Re: Windows ME $59.99..Good Bye Linux. .Thanks for the fish.....
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 03:52:44 GMT

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 03:00:35 GMT,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Synth A or B.

Good to see you posting again Steve.  Since I'm not composing music on
the computer, I couldn't possibly care less about Synth A or B.
I want my computer to make noises to give me feedback, play MP3s, and
play sound during games.

: And a whole lot more. Granted if all you want is beeps and squeaks
: from games, you don't need Livewire. My point is that this card is
: really not fully supported under Linux. You might as well buy a SB-16,
: because you are not getting what you paid for.

There you go with the wrong name again.  It's LiveWare.  LiveWire is
an application server.  By the way, my Live! Value sounds LOADS better
under Linux than my old AWE64 ever sounded under either Windoze or Linux.
Q3 sounds great under Linux.  79 fps at 1024x768x32bpp on a GeForce 2 GTS,
again, under Linux, looks great too.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.

From: Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rat head linsux
Date: 9 Aug 2000 03:45:37 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> has anyone any idea why RedHat keep shipping new versions of linux with
> OLD programs?
Maybe because they like the tried-and-true equipment over alpha quality
products?  It's just an hypothesis, of course.

Mandrake seems to be the distro that throws the newest available things
together no matter whether they work or not.

--
Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"The identical is equal to itself, since it is different."
                -- Franco Spisani

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (void)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: 9 Aug 2000 03:30:47 GMT

[Mac and Windows groups trimmed]

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 19:08:32 -0400, Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>void wrote:
>>
>> You didn't mention that that also set the sgid bit.  To set the suid bit
>> only, it's
>
>Yeh, I know.  I didn't want to confuse Max by giving him more info than he
>could handle :-)

Hmm, I would say that you should have used "u+s" in your example and
left "g+s" for later, but it's a very minor point.

--
 Ben

220 go.ahead.make.my.day ESMTP Postfix

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Isaac)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:09:23 GMT

On 8 Aug 2000 22:09:20 -0500, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm talking about what RMS and the FSF call derivative works.

Yes, but in order to limit the distribution of a work that links to their
library, they need to first establish a right to such control that
distribution.  If what they call a derivative work doesn't match what
copyright law calls a derivative work, where does the authority come
from?

I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but I'm not following the
point of your questions.

>itself.  How else can you interpret the FSF's ideas on mixing
>GPL and other code in plug-ins?  Personally I don't see any
>relationship to copyright laws at all, but...

I interpret them as deperation.  Using the interpretation of the law
that you seem to agree with, nearly any GPL'd program can be converted
to a dynamic function by leaving out the "main" function, and compiling
with an extra compiler/linker flag or two.

I don't see a way for the FSF to protect their code without removing
significant freedom from other programmers.  I should be able to
write plug-ins for Photoshop using my own code.  I ought to be able
to write programs calling system libraries without getting the OS
vendor's permission.  I believe the law says I can, but that the
FSF's position is that I cannot.

Isaac

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux can save you money on electricity!
Date: 9 Aug 2000 04:03:02 GMT

The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Far be it for me to actually defend an idea of Tim "I kan't speel
: werth sheet" Palmer :-), but it's clear that WordPad, in the grand
: tradition of "we are Microsoft and we'll MAKE you use it our way" :-)
: is in fact easier to use, [...]

[run-on-sentence truncated, because I don't want to quote the whole
paragraph]

Wordpad is much, much easier to learn.  But it is not easier to
USE once you've learned both wordpad and vi.  Vi's bizzarre
mechanism of only using the "typewriter keys" means your hands
don't have to move off to hit the special home/pgup/pgdn, etc
types of keys.  This makes a HUGE difference.  My right arm gets
tired using a Windows editor nowadays.  I never really noticed
until I started using vi a lot and could compare the difference.
Granted, it could be argued that this is more of a "hardware
problem" on the part of the PC keyboard standard layout as
opposed to the editing software.  It probably would be possible
to design a better keyboard that put those keys in a more accessable
place that can be reached from the main 'home keys' area.

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard says
Linux growth stagnating
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 14:40:47 +1000

"R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8mq92n$olc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when R.E.Ballard ( Rex
> Ballard )
> > would say:
> > >
> > >http://www.open4success.com/Olnews
> > >
> > >You give no signature, no web site, no verifiable information,
> > >and then assume there's nothing there.  At least I provide the
> > >following:
> > >(originally, my signature).
>
> > --
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
>
> Notice that the Linuvocates (T.Max Devlin, Tracy Reed, Loren Petrich,
> Chris Browne, and others) generally tend to include generous links
> to very informative and useful websites which provide valuable and
> interesting information.

Since you rarely include links to back up your claims, and Max never does,
the irony there is rather amusing.

> Meanwhile, we have the WinTrolls, who seem to offer pseudonyms,
> hide behind 5 layers of anonymous e-mail, and provide links
> to the Microsoft websites as their primary source of information.

Examples being ?

> How much does Microsoft pay these guys?  Dresting Black has posted
> over 1559 articles to COLA, and an additional 892 articles to COMNA.
>
> He's busier than I am.  I've slowed to 963 in COLA and 100 in COMNA.
> (accidental following of a crossposted redirected thread).

As I always say, you know you've got em when they say "you must be getting
paid to do this".

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Failure of the USS Yorktown
Date: 9 Aug 2000 04:33:39 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Anthony D. Tribelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:> It is pretty readily arguable that Germany had superior materials,
:> probably a better trained military cadre (contrary to what "Hogan's
:> Heroes" would imply), and such.  Their problems were not primarily of
:> quality; what ultimate took them down was the fact that they were
:> surrounded by a _large_ set of enemies, who were being supplied
:> considerable amounts from the US, which was _not_ beset by enemies.

: It may be arguable that Germany had a better cadre at the start of the
: war, but as the war progressed and the allies gained experience that is
: highly debatable. At least on the ground. One the sea and in the air their
: superiority from the start of the war is debatable.

Pretty much.  The US had the advantage of being able to take the
time to learn how do fight a war again.  When the US first jumped
into the war, the equipment was terribly obsolete.  But the US had
plenty of time to re-tool and redesign things.  So at the beginning
of the war, there's things like P-40's and P-47's, but by the end of
the war, the US was using new superior P-51's, which could out-do
any German fighter (except for the few jets), and had enough range
to escort bombers.  The US could afford to take terrible losses
while it learned to design a better air force.

: With respect to supplies, the manufacturing sites were safe but
: manufactured goods needed to be delivered to where they were needed.
: Germany presented quite a threat in the north atlantic. A tank that is
: built but sent to the bottom of the ocean is as equally useless as a tank
: that was never built.

Yes, but the sheer size of the merchant shipping traffic was enough to
overwhelm the losses.  Even though a sub can easily take out a transport
or two and then run away (before the escort destroyers can get to it),
if the convoy has 30 transports in it, this is still only a small
percentage of the supplies.

:> American and British aircraft, tanks, guns, ships, tactics, and
:> training might all have been inferior to the German equivalents (which
:> is certainly an arguable matter), but if you can deploy enough of those
:> "possibly inferior" forces, they _can_ win.

: With respect to tanks you have a point, with submarines as well to a
: degree. However with small arms, ships, and aircraft you are probably
: incorrect regarding German superiority.

Depends on the year.  At first, the Axis aircraft were the best
the world.  But by the end of the war, new Allied designs were flying
that were better, and the Allied bombers were much bigger than anything
the Axis could afford to manufacture.  (Plus, the Brits were the best
in the world at making up new electronic gizmos at the time, so they
had excellent radar, and pioneered many of the instrument flight
techniques that are now commonplace.  Because of this, they could
bomb fairly well in the dark.  The Axis wasn't nearly as good at that.)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Linux growth stagnating
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:45:13 GMT

I wish I knew how I could get paid for this.

While I agree that MS has played dirty pool, and I don't agree with it
at all, I find it hard to believe that they would pay people to troll.
Maybe I am naive though.

Nobody takes advocacy groups seriously anyhow. Only a true idiot would
believe what is written in these groups. Most likely the same person
who believes the magician really saws the lady in half.

Email me and I'll tell ya how it's done.

How about the trick where there are 2 very high platforms on stage.
There is a girl on one of them. They raise a curtain over her count to
three and in a blast of smoke she moves to the other platform, just
like magic.

The disappearing tank?

A mere parlor trick to the informed.

But I digress here....

Claire

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000 14:40:47 +1000, "Christopher Smith"

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which Linux should I try?
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:47:49 GMT

Tim Palmer wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Jul 2000 09:15:23 GMT, cpliu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >With all the hype about Linux, I'd like to give it a try.
>
> You'll find that hipe is just about all thear is to LIE-nux.

Is that all THEAR is Tim?

> >There are so
> >many vendors on Linux, red hat, mandrake, caldera, TurboLinux, etc. Which
> >one should I try? Are there any major differences? interface? How about
> >compatibility between different venders?
>
> Nonexistant. You cant' run a programmm from one distrobutian on another one.

Of course you can run one program written for Red Hat on any of the others.
This is so stupid it's unbelievable.  The Kernels are the same, the base
applications
are the same, everything is the same in distributions except for the install
methods
and the maintenance methods.

> >This must be a FAQ. Please give me a pointer or two before I get started.
> >

> >Thanks,
> >

> >CPLIU

Charlie