Linux-Advocacy Digest #335, Volume #28           Thu, 10 Aug 00 04:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company ("JS/PL")
  Re: No Gnome for me :-( ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard says
(Courageous)
  Re: BASIC == Beginners language (Was: Just curious.... (R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ))
  Re: - Windows has made me stupid !!! Thanks, Bill. (Windows is worst  (Jacques Guy)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard     ("Stephen S.
Edwards II")
  Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome! (Pim van Riezen)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard     ("Stephen S.
Edwards II")
  Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company (Arthur Frain)
  Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company (ZnU)
  Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? ("Christopher Smith")
  Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company (ZnU)
  Re: Is Linux the OS used in the space ships in "Star Trek" (Linux, OS of the Future
???)

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 00:50:58 -0400

"Joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JS/PL wrote:
>

> > If I remember correctly, the links were posted as supporting opinion
that
> > Windows2K is extremely reliable. Posted because I was accused of having
no
> > credibility when I said it myself.
>
> You have no credibility .  How could anyone credibly say W2K is a reliable
OS -
> W2K is too new and hasn't be in service long enough to prove itself.
Hotmail
> still runs FreeBSD.  That's why W2K deployment has been put on hold for
many
> firms.  It's still hard to get drivers for W2K.  Get real.

Who cares what Hotmail runs? Whats's the point of changing the server? It's
just a company MS has purchased like 100's of others. There are employees
and hardware in place and I'd be real surprised if the service ever turns a
profit. Why sink dolloars retraining and purchasing un neccessary hardware
and software when the Hotmail doesn't make dime one.

AND you say:
"Deployment is on hold for many firms" huh?

That's pretty chicken shit don't you think?

I say "many firms" are switching over to Win2K. There's an equal statement
to yours.

WHAT firms are putting deployment on hold, if there are MANY FIRMS name a
few.

I believe Amazon.com was running their site with final release version of
Advanced Server a few weeks before the product was available to the general
public. Lets see...who else is running it...
Oh
Stratus http://www.stratus.com/news/2000/2000417ov.htm

You better go tell them Windows2000 hasn't been proven yet because they are
guaranteeing 99.999% unterupted computing on their servers running
Windows2000

Then you have Hewlett Packard who is installing the operating system on
80,000+ desktops worldwide. Hmmm -  you better hurry up and call them to let
them know that their decision was made from non-credible information! There
might still be time to save them from impending doom!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: No Gnome for me :-(
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 05:04:14 GMT

Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

> Corel isn't *user friendly*.  It's *windows cloney*.  Including
> resetting configuration files without being told to, replacing drivers
> without being told to, screwing up left and right for no apparent
> reason, and attempting to show you what an idiot you are at every turn
> (just like Windows).
>
> Stay away from Corel.  Mandrake actually *is* user-friendly, and it
> won't make you want to spit blood in the general direction of the moron
> that directed you to it.
>
> (Sorry, I'm feeling bitter over the *WINDOWS CLONING* experimentation
> that's been going on lately.)
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Nathaniel Jay Lee
Thanks for the input. I do always try to listen to all info from many before doinng
someting.
Sometimes I do make the wrong choice but that is what I have learned from.

------------------------------

From: Courageous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard says
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 05:12:24 GMT

> As for me, I'm MS certified professional (both in admin and development areas) who
>detests
> Unix.

Your bias is obvious, yes.

C//

------------------------------

From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BASIC == Beginners language (Was: Just curious....
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 05:21:08 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> : A developer who wanted to hedge his bets,
> : cash in on a fast-growing new market, and still
> : have easy access to the existing Windows markets
> : would be very wise to consider using a portable
> : language such as C,
> : PERL, TCL, or Java.  Is there a Python for Windows?
>
> Oh, but of course there is!
>
> http://www.python.org/download/

I figured there would be.  I've used the Linux version, but
I'm up for trying the Windows version.  I think I'll avoid
those Win32 extensions though.  Not sure how those will port
back to Linux. :-)

> Python and Perl look to have been ported to a similar (huge) number of
> platforms.  There's also a mod_python to make CGI handling more
> efficient, available at (big surprise):

I also noticed that the Python install also included the TCL/TK
package.  That sort of gives you the best of both worlds doesn't it?

> http://www.modpython.org/

There you have it.  Sure, you can go out there and shuck out up
to $1600 for MSDN enterprise edition, or you can pop down to
the Python, PERL, and CPAN sites for a huge dose of really great
development support.

As usual, the software is free, but the support services cost
a bit extra.  Also some of the CPAN packages do have royalties.

Searches on the web have shown PERL to be very popular.

--
Rex Ballard - I/T Architect, MIS Director
Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 05:41:33 +0000
From: Jacques Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: - Windows has made me stupid !!! Thanks, Bill. (Windows is worst

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> ... and Claire's image probably wouldn't be reflected in a mirror
> anyway.

Don't badmouth vampires, or I'll breathe garlic on you! (Admire the
internal logic).

There has been such a drastic change in the writing style of
the-little-old-lady-who-sucks-for-more-than-Linux-but-blows-
for-less-than-Windows that I wonder if *two* poster do not
hide under that ID. That, or she/they is/are ready for the
loony bin.  Pity I can't retrieve her/their first posts.
(What's Tim Palmer doing when he's needed to bring a bit
of fun?)

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 23:48:02 -0700

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 17:05:11 -0500, Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
> >"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
>
> > You may want to consider reading in cola (comp.os.linux.advocacy) to
> >see why some of 'us' don't 'get it' as you put it.  There are enough
>
> He has. Mr Edwards was a Linux advocacy nut in the olden days.
> Check deja for a rabid Linux zealot by the name of "Stoney Edwards".

"I was young... I needed the money!"

> BTW, IMO cola hasn't changed that much in the last three years.

Neither has USENET, for that matter.
--
.-----.
|[_]  |  Stephen S. Edwards II | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount/
| =  :|  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
|    -| "Even though you can't see the details, you can sense them.
|    -|  And that is what makes great computer graphics."
|_..._|                      -- Robert Abel of Abel Image Research

------------------------------

From: Pim van Riezen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman's Politics (was: Linux is awesome!
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 08:41:18 +0200

On 9 Aug 2000, Lee Hollaar wrote:

> In article  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Isaac) writes:
> >I don't seem to have the self control to stop responding to Max, so
> >I'm using a mechanical aid that only allows me to see his posts after
> >someone has already followed up.  Not quite a kill file but perhaps
> >it will increase the light to heat ratio if I mellow out for a bit.
>
> Just consider what would happen if we all did that.
>
> But then, this is probably the only thread in gnu.misc.discuss that
> doesn't have somebody calling somebody else a communist.

I can fix that....

Communist!

HTH. HAND.
Pi

--
Odd things animals.  All dogs look up to you.  All cats look down
on you.  Only the pig looks at you as an equal.

                            - Winston Churchill

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 23:53:39 -0700

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On 9 Aug 2000 21:53:11 GMT, Stephen S. Edwards II wrote:
> >Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >Well, in all fairness, Linux is really just another kernel, with a whole
> >lot of GNUware around it.  There isn't much of an advantage of using Linux
> >over some other UNIX variant such as NetBSD, or FreeBSD.
>
> The GNUware is an advantage, though a fairly minor one ( especially since
> most of it is available on BSD )

If you're referring to the licensing, it really depends upon your
point of view.  There are many in the BSD camp who don't like the
GNU philosophy of not being able to keep source code within the
one's own confines.  IMHO, I think that the Berkeley license is
much less restrictive than the GPL.

Really what it all comes down to is one's more pedantic
preferences about either environment, when you get right
down to it.
--
.-----.

From: Arthur Frain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 23:47:31 -0700

JS/PL wrote:

> I believe Amazon.com was running their site with final release version of
> Advanced Server a few weeks before the product was available to the general
> public.

Well, gee, if you're right, then they dumped
Windows for Apache on True64 Unix (check
www.netcraft.com). I guess I'd believe that,
if I thought Amazon had ever used Windows.

> Lets see...who else is running it...
> Oh
> Stratus http://www.stratus.com/news/2000/2000417ov.htm

> You better go tell them Windows2000 hasn't been proven yet because they are
> guaranteeing 99.999% unterupted computing on their servers running
> Windows2000

They apparently know W2K hasn't been proven
yet, because, as has been discussed here
previously ad nauseum, they are guaranteeing
hardware, not software and not system, uptime.

Oh, and all those unnamed customers listed at
the bottom of the page - doesn't say if they're
running W2K or HP-UX or something else. W2K
isn't the only OS Stratus offers.

Arthur

------------------------------

From: ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 07:00:58 GMT

In article <8mmj3l$en7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Christopher Smith"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "ZnU" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "JS/PL"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Don't worry, big brother is going to MAKE us all care what an
> > > operating system is when the price doubles and the features are
> > > stripped. All for the benefit of the stupid consumer who can't make
> > > the right choice (according to the DOJ).
> >
> > Increased competition leads to higher prices and fewer features?
>
> You assume competition *would* increase.

It tends to do that in a free market. (Free hint: control of a market by
a single company is just as bad as control of a market by a government.)

--
This universe shipped by weight, not volume.  Some expansion may have
occurred during shipment.

ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | <http://znu.dhs.org>

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 03:10:21 -0400

JS/PL wrote:

> "Joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > JS/PL wrote:
> >

> > > If I remember correctly, the links were posted as supporting opinion
> that
> > > Windows2K is extremely reliable. Posted because I was accused of having
> no
> > > credibility when I said it myself.
> >
> > You have no credibility .  How could anyone credibly say W2K is a reliable
> OS -
> > W2K is too new and hasn't be in service long enough to prove itself.
> Hotmail
> > still runs FreeBSD.  That's why W2K deployment has been put on hold for
> many
> > firms.  It's still hard to get drivers for W2K.  Get real.
>
> Who cares what Hotmail runs? Whats's the point of changing the server? It's
> just a company MS has purchased like 100's of others. There are employees
> and hardware in place and I'd be real surprised if the service ever turns a
> profit. Why sink dolloars retraining and purchasing un neccessary hardware
> and software when the Hotmail doesn't make dime one.

Because it's a fucking admission that their OWN product (which, whaddya
know, doesn't cost MS a dime) is incapable of handling the task.

Or did this poing escape you.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:32:36 +1000

"Joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Christopher Smith wrote:
>
> > "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Known by whom; the one making the mistake, or the one detecting the
> > > mistake?
> >
> > The one making the mistake, of course.  What relevance does the
knowledge
> > some person has to the knowledge some other person may or may not have.
>
> Lie:
> 1 : to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive
> 2 : to create a false or misleading impression
>
> intent to deceive, misleading.
>
> Knowing the truth has little relevance  -- intentions determine if one is
> liar.

How can one have an "intent to decieve", if one does not know one is
deceiving ?

> > Assumptions don't even come into it.  The evidence that Linux is not in
> > demand is its notable absence in the consumer market until very
recently,
> > and its lacklustre performance in same since.
>
> There is an abusive monopoly unnaturally distorting the PC OS market.

In your opinion.

> THEREFORE the use of the PC OS market as an indicator of the market's
demand is
> INVALID.

Only if the market has to go out of its way to access alternatives.

> One would need to assume the DOJ and Judge were FACTUALLY wrong.

THis is not a huge assumption to make.

> As we all know, Findings of Fact are reliable.

*cough*bullshit*cough*.

> and rarely is a fact challenged
> on appeal.

THey will be, I'd imagine.

> Is it reasonable to defend MS by looking at the market they
> distorted to prove the monopoly is maintained by market forces ?  No.  Of
> course not.

It is more than reasonable to note a lack of demand in a market for a
product, where that market is free to choose whether or not to use that
product.

------------------------------

From: ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 07:37:56 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "JS/PL"

> I believe Amazon.com was running their site with final release
> version of Advanced Server a few weeks before the product was
> available to the general public.

Well, now Amazon is running Stronghold/2.4.2 Apache/1.3.6 C2NetEU/2412
(Unix) on Compaq Tru64 UNIX

> Lets see...who else is running it...
> Oh Stratus http://www.stratus.com/news/2000/2000417ov.htm
>
> You better go tell them Windows2000 hasn't been proven yet because
> they are guaranteeing 99.999% unterupted computing on their servers
> running Windows2000

"The Stratus ftServer family delivers 99.999% hardware availability in
baseline configurations."

Please note "hardware availability." Not software. They'd been insane to
make claims about another company's product like that.

> Then you have Hewlett Packard who is installing the operating system
> on 80,000+ desktops worldwide. Hmmm -  you better hurry up and call
> them to let them know that their decision was made from non-credible
> information! There might still be time to save them from impending
> doom!

Chances are it's more stable than NT4 or Windows 98. But more stable
than Solaris, AIX or even FreeBSD? Nobody knows, but somehow I doubt it;
similar claims about previous versions of Windows have failed to pan out.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.linux.os,alt.startrek
Subject: Re: Is Linux the OS used in the space ships in "Star Trek" (Linux, OS of the
Future ???)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 00:42:12 -0700

New_User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I think so
>
> By 2063 the mighty Linux OS will be used world wide and in deep space.
>
> Even on DS9...

What's the matter deadpenguin/Steve/Simon/Susie/etc have you gotten tired of
your Claire Lynn false identity already?  Now you have even crossposted into
alt.startrek!  What new disinformation tatic are you trying now?

To any of the readers of alt.startrek that might want to email the troll,
he/she/it has only one valid email address that I as aware of, that one is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] .  The rest even if they seem valid are not, most
will bounce your email and the rest may be email addresses of other persons
instead.

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 03:58:04 -0400

"Arthur Frain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JS/PL wrote:
>
> > I believe Amazon.com was running their site with final release version
of
> > Advanced Server a few weeks before the product was available to the
general
> > public.
>
> Well, gee, if you're right, then they dumped
> Windows for Apache on True64 Unix (check
> www.netcraft.com). I guess I'd believe that,
> if I thought Amazon had ever used Windows.

Good thing I prefaced it with "I believe", I've now gone back and checked,
it was
barnesandnoble.com. sorry.

But thanks for the link, I was searching for that through a years worth of
bookmarks. Looks like Hotmail IS in the course of changing the servers over
to IIS5.0
Also Lycos.com? I'd say with windows running roughly 20% of the net  and
Apache still with the lead we're all in pretty good hands! Both make
excellent web servers. I prefer IIS5 though.

> > Lets see...who else is running it...
> > Oh
> > Stratus http://www.stratus.com/news/2000/2000417ov.htm
>
> > You better go tell them Windows2000 hasn't been proven yet because they
are
> > guaranteeing 99.999% unterupted computing on their servers running
> > Windows2000
>
> They apparently know W2K hasn't been proven
> yet, because, as has been discussed here
> previously ad nauseum, they are guaranteeing
> hardware, not software and not system, uptime.

This is directly from the site:
 Stratus, maker of the world's most reliable servers, is responding to this
need by extending its unsurpassed uptime to Microsoft® Windows® 2000
environments.

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:02:59 -0400

> JS/PL wrote:
> >
> > "Joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > that
> > no
> > >
> > > You have no credibility .  How could anyone credibly say W2K is a
reliable
> > OS -
> > > W2K is too new and hasn't be in service long enough to prove itself.
> > Hotmail
> > > still runs FreeBSD.  That's why W2K deployment has been put on hold
for
> > many
> > > firms.  It's still hard to get drivers for W2K.  Get real.
> >
> > Who cares what Hotmail runs? Whats's the point of changing the server?
It's
> > just a company MS has purchased like 100's of others. There are
employees
> > and hardware in place and I'd be real surprised if the service ever
turns a
> > profit. Why sink dolloars retraining and purchasing un neccessary
hardware
> > and software when the Hotmail doesn't make dime one.
>
> Because it's a fucking admission that their OWN product (which, whaddya
> know, doesn't cost MS a dime) is incapable of handling the task.

Well after looking into the matter further I've come across this little gem,
read it and weep:
"HotMail has commenced its much awaited migration to a Microsoft operating
system. Some Windows 2000 machines have recently been moved into the load
balancing pool, with currently between 90-95% of requests being served by
the established FreeBSD/Apache platform, and 5-10% from Windows 2000. The
Hotmail site infrastructure is enormous, and even if everything runs
smoothly, a migration will likely take several weeks."
 http://www.netcraft.com/survey/