From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:34:55 -0500

Robert Surenko wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:57:50 GMT, Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>In comp.os.linux.misc Ian Davey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> > [deletia]
>
> >       Then again, you are blathering about an historical even that
> >       was caught on tape and who's firsthand witnesses are still
> >       living.
>
> Yes, but the experiment can not be repeated. In your previous
> blatherings you claimed that the only way something can be known
> is the Scientific Method, and it's reliable because the event can
> be repeated.

You don't have to repeat the shooting...all you need to do is exhume
the body.

> Are you willing to say that there are other methods to "know" something
> except for the Scientific method. If so, how?
>
> Will we know that JFK was shot until the last witness dies and then
> we officially un-know it?
>
> >       OTOH, it would not shatter my sanity to find out that it was
> >       all a load of hooey. I'm more worried about whether or not a
> >       CRT will suddenly electrocute me or if the wings of a 727
> >       will rip off.
>
> Me either, although I would have to change my old "historical fact"
> that can't be proven with the Scientifc Method to something else.
>
> Perhaps this, How do we know the American Revolutionary War happened?
>
> No tapes, no living witnesses.
>
> >       Here, you are only criticising a field of study (not necessarily
> >       even a science) that most of the hard line materialists here
> >       would themselves call "weak at best" anyways.
>
> But that's the point, A Materialists claims that the Scientific
> Method is the only way to know something.
>
> > --
>
> >       Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.
> >
> >       That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
> >                                                              / | \

> - Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> - http://www.fred.net/surenko/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steinberg)
Subject: Re: Font deuglification
Date: 20 Feb 2001 03:35:15 GMT

Andres Soolo ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: David Steinberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: > : need is the cmr fonts under X.
: > I agree.  Microsoft did a very good job of designing those fonts.  If
: Microsoft?  AFAIK, the cmr font family was designed by D. E. Knuth ...

Huh?  Did I even read the post I responding to?

I really don't remember that last sentence, even though I quoted it in my
reply.  I don't think I even saw "cmr," and I didn't mean to address my
response to that.  I think I was referring to the so-called "TrueType
core fonts for the web" from Microsoft Typography, which I believe Ed had
mentioned he had installed.

My apologies for any confusion I might have caused, and especially to
Donald E. Knuth for inadvertently crediting others for his work.

--
David Steinberg                             -o)
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC         / \

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who was saying Crays don't run Linux?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:35:23 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Nico Coetzee ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : > http://www.llnl.gov/asci/platforms/white/
>
> : WOW! I guess that puts a dent in any M$ argument!
>
> That gem of a supercomputer could be slowed down to a crawl by installing
> Windows.

Busily doing nothing.

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:36:57 -0500

Robert Surenko wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On 16 Feb 2001 23:36:41 GMT, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >>: That's why Materialism is hopelessly flawed. We all know that JFK
> >>: was shot, but can't repeat the experiment. How do we go about
> >>: proving a historical event.
> >>
> >>WTF does that have to do with materialism?
>
> >       Whether or not JFK was shot or not is a question of history.
>
> >       The techniques of historians are not the subject of this discussion.
>
> I though we were disscussing how does a person "know" something?
>
> Many have claimed that a repeatable experiment is the only way.
>
> I've given an example of a fact that can not be repeated and can't
> be proven with the Scientific Method.

Are there not OTHER experiments which could allow us to determine
if Kennedy was shot or not?

Say,...exhuming the body.

I'm QUITE sure that the skull will demonstrate it beyond a doubt.

> > --
>
> >       Freedom != Anarchy.
> >
> >           Some must be "opressed" in order for their
> >       actions not to oppress the rest of us.

> >                                                              / | \

> - Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> - http://www.fred.net/surenko/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux web pads?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:41:32 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >

> >Karel Jansens wrote:
> >>
> >> Recently, I keep coming across articles praising a 'revolutionary new way
> >> of computing' (or something along those lines anyway), referring to those
> >> nifty 'web pads', A4-sized flat touch-screens that allow users to access
> >> the web away from their computer (although most of them seem to be limited
> >> to around 10 m, which sounds like they're developed for closets rather
> >> than homes). They've been popping up in several magazines, but the only
> >> one I've got at hand is on page 37 of the february 2001 issue of Popular
> >> Science.
> >

> >Aggggggh  Popular science...better named "Popular Adolescent Fantasies"
> >For DECADES these shitheads continued with the "personal hovercraft
> >are just around the corner and cars will be obsolete" garbage...
> >
> >Not seeming to understand that it takes a hell of a lot of fuel to
> >get anything up off the ground.....and completely out of the cost
> >range of the average commuter whose current vehicle only pays for
> >"rolling resistance"  (not to mention almost no cost to sit still
> >while idling...vs engine still on full power to hover in place).
> >
> >The best use for popular science is lighting kindling in the fireplace.
> >

> HA!  I have to agree with that.
>
> But it depends on what they have a story on.
>
> Sometimes they cover things the NAVY or AIR FORCE is doing.
>
> Sometimes they cover things like this scratch pad or whatever.
>
> Some of their ideas are totally hair brained agreed.
>
> I remember one idea they had for having web access and E-mail on
> your refrigerator.  Now, that was hairbrained.

Until they learn to ask simple questions, such as "Why in the fuck
would ANYBODY want to stand in front of the refrigerator to compose
and E-mail message", they will remain "Popular Adolescent Fantasies".

Like the hovercraft thing...how many of these shitheads ever
ask themselves "Duh...would *I* buy one of those?...Is there
*anybody* I know who would by one of those?"

> But a scratch pad isn't that bad an idea.  I want mine in color.

Even a stopped clock is right twice per day.  Still doesn't mean
that I'm going to consult it if I want to know the time.

> OR,
>
> I'll take a keyboard with built in mouse and use that head mounted
> TV which goes in your glasses.  Color for that one also.
>
> I have to have color or I'm pissed.
>
> --
> Charlie
>
>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
>   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
>  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
> /_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
>       http://www.debian.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Wintrolls
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:44:25 -0500

Fred K Ollinger wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : Joseph wrote:
> : >
> : > Deepak Chandrashekar wrote:
> : >
> : > > I think this thread is 100% pure unadultrated bullshit.
> : > > Everyone knows that Windowzblowz is complete crap
> : > > when it comes to robustness and uptime !!
> : > >
> : > > So if is for such apps. then go get Linux/Unix or something.
> : > > Else, if u want to use some "kiddie" application such as MS-Word
> : > > then .......
> : > >
> : > >
> : > > ---------------------------->>>>>
> : > > I dont want to pay  M$ Tax
> : > > <<<<<---------------------------
> : > >
> : > >               Deepak
> : > >
> : > >
> : > >
> : > Kiddie application? Although there are many applications that are of
> : > questionable quality on Windows, Word is not one of them. Word is one of
> : > the best "office" word processing applications in the market. By office I
>
> : As long as you don't use it for a 50-page document.
> : Then, the toy-like core begins to emerge.
>
> Actually, I go nuts when I use it to type even one sentence.  Too much bull
> shit, I feel like I'm treated like a child.  Also, it's auto-everything annoys.
> Also, it's obsession with fonts really bugs me.  I just want to type, who give
> a shit about fonts?  I put all that in later w/ a template, whoever wants the
> article is deciding all the layout.  I just make a .sty file and go from there,
> in word you have to do the same thing each time. I know, I know there are style
> sheets or something, but nobody I see using word uses them. Also, the .doc format
> is criminal in that you never know if your paper will look the same on diff.
> computers.  Finally, if I can get a professional, yes professional, in that
> it's used to make books, for free, then I'll use that.  I heard word breaks
> for books, don't know, not willing to pay a couple hundred bucks to find out.
> Then you are forced with shitty keybindings which are made to be inefficient-er
> "user friendly".
>
> Abi-word does all the above.  I think that the whole wysiwyg is a dead-end, a
> failed experiment.  Most people like it b/c, 1. they learned it all ready,
> 2. they don't see the value in thinking abstractly.  Poor souls.

Incapable is more like it.

> : > mean common everyday business document creation not special purpose
> : > scientific or engineering documents which may require special notations.
> : > Using this requirement yardstick MS-Word far exceed anything in the market
> : > in terms of ease of use and functionality. Think about office documents.
> : > What are actually needed? Maybe some nice fonts, bulleted lists, mail
> : > merge, simple formating such as bolding, italics or underlining...
> : > All these tasks are all easily done on Word.
>
> : MS-Word is *adequate* for 10-page documents.
>
> : But if you're writing up the corporate stockholder's report, you
> : better use something that doesn't choke on a piddly 50 pages.
>
> Actually a lot of really imporatant stuff is in this format.  Most people don't
> think that they have choices.  maybe this is the reason that an MS official
> hinted that perhaps open-source should be legislated against.  He also hinted,
> that the "American way' means you can't give your ideas away.  If this is true,
> it's not, I'd be sorry to be an american.  Instead, I'm proud.  I'll be
> prouder when courts uphold the gnu liscence and also state that software is
> like speech.  I'd like to see them try to stop open source, I think it would
> be so hard, they'd radicalize many people and get many more followers.
> Anyway, I liked how MS sounded so hysterical, lying badly, saying that open-
> source kills innovation while actually being a member of one of the most
> innovation destroying corps of all time.  Hell, they ripped off Mac OS again.
> How frikin' lame?  I saw features from mac OS 9, a decided joke.  If XP
> needs to rip off a shitty os, how good can it be?
>
> stay free,
>
> Fred

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:50:17 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>
> As I was saying.  To force the REPUBLICAN TO BUY A LICENSE
> for every copy of Microsoft Windows installed on every machine
> would be ALIEN and UNKNOWN to him!
>
> It would be as alien as not having prayer in schools!
> It would be as alien as not being able to buy a gun!
> It would be as alien as anybody who's not a christian!
>
> And then there is AK.

HEHEHEHE

> >Fuck that.
> >
> >the only fair taxes are sales taxes and "head taxes"
> >
> >Income taxes of ANY sort punish those who WORK, while letting those
> >who live off of Grandpa's trust funds (Kennedys, Rockefellers) without
> >paying a dime.  Replacing Income taxes with Sales taxes reverses
> >this situation.
> >
> >Head tax...*EVERY* able-bodied adult should pay a minimum, across-the-board
> >tax.  NO EXCEPTIONS.
> >
> >Oh, and no deductions for having kids....we should NOT be subsidizing what
> >people are going to do anyways;
> >and if you can't afford kids, then DON'T HAVE THEM  (Reliable Birth control
> >has been available for decades now).
>
> It would be as alien to them as preaching Birth Control!
> GOD SAVE YOUR SOUL AK.....
>
> If we can't steal copyrighted Windows then must we practice birth control
> too Mr. AK.  I'm positive the planet can contain 10 billion people.

Yes, remember the wild-eyed Rumors of food shortages by 1980...well, here
it is, 2000, and the biggest problem we have is obesity...and in the 3rd
world....population densities shooting up
because kids aren't dying of
malnutrition at the rate they used to do.'

Some disaster.

You could pack the ENTIRE population of the world into single-family
suburban homes, on standard 1950's-sized subdivision lots.....within
the space of the United States....leaving the ENTIRE rest of the
world uninhabitated for agriculture.

Re-arrange that a bit...and you can see that no matter where you are,
agricultural land is within a reasonable distance (other than Japan,
which, due to it being a an island that's not small enough, nor
large enough, has the only genuine population problem on to speak of).

> --
> Charlie
>
>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
>   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
>  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
> /_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
>       http://www.debian.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:51:32 +1300

> > Wrong.  I have a production NT4 database server that has been up for over 6
> > months and counting.  There are no memory leaks in the kernel.
>
> Microsoft funded tests prove that this is either incorrect or very lucky.

And they'd like to know what hardware you're running so they can upgrade
their DNS servers...

------------------------------

From: "eissimuf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: please help - modprobe cannot locate modules
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 03:53:16 GMT

Thank you all.  I believe the problem was that I had not upgraded all of my
programs used in compiling/building the new kernel.  I hope upgrading
modutils solves the problem...  Once again, thanks everyone for their help.

David Renie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: .NET is plain .NUTS
Date: 20 Feb 2001 03:53:18 GMT

Charlie Ebert ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: It is THEIR feeling,,,,  well let me just repeat what one of them
: told me one morning when I questioned buying licenses.

: "MR. EBERT, I bought this copy of Microsoft OFFICE.  This CD is mine!
: This office your standing in is MINE.  You are MY employee and this
: CD is MY PROPERTY.  Because this CD is MY property and YOU ARE
: MY employee you will do with this CD what I TOLD YOU TO DO or
: you can get out.  You don't OWN this place.  If you don't LIKE IT
: HERE you can just pack your bags and GET OUT.  Now install this
: CD across the computers I told you to install them on as I TOLD you
: to do and do it NOW!"

: And all I was trying to do was to highlight the possibility of his
: being thrown into legal difficulties by fulfilling this ORDER.
: I wasn't trying to TELL HIM what to do.

What an idiot boss. What you do is follow that order, and in a future
arse-chewing, you could always say "If you fire me or continue screaming, I
will call the BSA on you". Then, as he fires you, go to the nearest payphone
and financially nuke his business with the software stormtroopers doing the
dirty deed.

Who needs a gun to go postal with, when every boss is a warez dood? At
$250K/pop, 100 copies of warez would send that business back to the stone age,
with a $25M fine! The specter of warez makes every business vunerable to this
digital method of going postal. Warez is a sword of damaclese over the head of
every business exec. Large companies are especially vunerable to this attack
as they will be all but certain to have lots of warez due to if nothing else a
sloppy techie or a techie planting a "warez bomb" on purpose in case of firing
to later go postal with.

The .NET thingy will result in economic disruption as nearly every company is
out of compliance, and suddenly a shitload of money is lost by companies with
Bill Gates getting it all. Any "warez bombs" will prematurely "explode" as
.NET is implimented.

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:54:52 +1300

> As explained to me a few weeks ago this is not such a big deal. The uptime
> is achieved using clustering. If a server falls over or has to be rebooted
> then then so long as other servers are still working this doesn't affect
> uptime.

So much for the lower TCO load of shit.

"You can buy (a) this robust dedicated UNIX webserver, and pay the cost
of an intelligent admin...
OR!
You can take this shiny flashy NT machine, for a lower cost, and a
cheaper admin because, let's face it, he's a grease monkey!  But you'll
have to buy six or seven of these bitches if you want to keep serving
while you constantly reboot"

(No offense to the NT admins with a clue... I know you exist, but you're
a rare breed)

------------------------------

From: Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 13:57:50 +1000

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Until they learn to ask simple questions, such as "Why in the fuck
> would ANYBODY want to stand in front of the refrigerator to compose
> and E-mail message", they will remain "Popular Adolescent Fantasies".
>
> Like the hovercraft thing...how many of these shitheads ever
> ask themselves "Duh...would *I* buy one of those?...Is there
> *anybody* I know who would by one of those?"

They don't, but they may want instant access to recipes from the net.

IanP

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:55:48 +1300

> > I think they were talking about their new ($3,000 per node) cluster
> > software, which, by still calling "uptime" the time during which at
> > least one of the nodes is operation, they can make five-nines.
> >
> > You had to know it was a scam, right?
>
> The only nines Microsoft makes are sixty nines.

MS can only make three nines, and they keep getting them upside down.