Kulkis")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:33:26 -0400

"Andrew J. Brehm" wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Loren Petrich forfeited all rights to civility when he decided
> > to side with totalitarians.
>
> And here, ladies and gentlemen, we can see how unalienable rights defend
> the freedom of an individual against those who don't like him.
>
> "He happened to forfeit his rights."

Do you not agree that a murderer forfeits his right to life.

> Oh, that's what happened...
>
> --
> Fan of Woody Allen
> PowerPC User
> Supporter of Pepperoni Pizza

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS advertising in the movies... (was Re: Microsoft MCSE)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:35:19 -0400

Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
> > > I couldn't ever get into Ally McBeal.  Waaaaaay too many sexual
> > > references (what is it, like one every 10 seconds?).  My parents also
> > > watch it religiously (I guess I'm still rebelling huh?).
> > >

> > Your parent's are baby-boomers, right?
>
> Yeppers.
>

> > Juvenile TV shows for juvenile minds
> > (how many babyboomers do you know who are troubled by the fact that
> > society is beginning to expect them to at least behave like adults
> > (even though they still don't have the thought processes down very
> > well)?)
>
> Well, my parents have both told me that I spent more time raising them
> than they did raising me.  But that's only partially true.  I do
> remember spending a lot of Saturday mornings screaming at my dad as he
> puked his guts out after a 'night out on the town'.  BTW, apparently I
> didn't do a very good job of raising them, cause niether one of them
> seems to be capable of having an adult conversation for more than three
> minutes at a time.  They are constantly pulling one of these, no it was
> his fault, no it was her fault kind of things.  Real fun when you go out
> to eat with them.

My condolences.  I was fortunate in that my parents are just a couple
of years older than the baby-boomers, and ... stayed away from
moronic behavior.

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Nathaniel Jay Lee

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Article: Why linux is here to stay
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:42:39 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Loren Petrich
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on 16 Aug 2000 10:24:35 GMT
<8ndq53$v4b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>They should pull the Windows and Mac's out.  They serve no purpose
>>other than to befuddle the underclassemen with stupid ideas.
>
>       And what, in particular, might those be?

I suspect one of them is "GUI = Easy To Use".  There are GUIs, and
there are GUIs.

Some of the worst examples of "ease of use" come from none other
than Microsoft.  (See http://www.iarchitect.com/mshame.htm for some
examples.)  This in spite of the fact that Microsoft has a very
sticky GUI.... :-)

To be fair, he excoriates Quicktime 4, too.  Once (if?) Linux becomes
mainstream, there will most likely be a few pointed our way, too.

[.sisnip]

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 01:53:52 +1000

> Said Christopher Smith in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>    [...]

[chomp]

> >If you want to convince me that Microsoft have acted unethically,
> >dishonestly and criminally, then you're going to have to explain why
other
> >companies don't get into trouble for the same behaviour.
>
> I doubt that simply explaining it will suffice, but I'll try.  You can
> take your pick:
>
> 1) They do: http://www.ripon.edu/Faculty/bowenj/antitrust/INTRO.htm

So how about companies who are *acting the same way*, but not necessarily
breaking the law ?

Breaking the law is merely the side effect of arbitrary rules.

> 2) Because they haven't been caught yet.

Probably because a great number of them aren't doing anything they need to
be caught for.

> 3) Because they don't actually execute 'the same behavior', though it
> may appear that way to you, depending on the level of precision you use.

Well, since I don't have the blind faith in the law to equate "breaking the
law" with "acting in the same way", I actually examine the way they are
acting, rather than their legal status.

> >> http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/fallacy/ig.htm
> >
> >You quote from this site as if it were the bible.
>
> I find it a handy reference, and would like to encourage more people to
> read it and learn from it.

To what end ?

> >You don't discuss, Max, you assert.  Usually from a position of arrogant
> >ignorance.
>
> I'd have to agree it often appears to be the case.  But in the face of
> bald contradiction without sufficient consideration or reasoning to get
> beyond my boredom threshold, I don't feel like quibbling.  I'll assert,
> if you can refute to my satisfaction, I'll stop being arrogant.

The problem with this, is you ignore refutations that, from observation,
simply have the failing of "I don't like the sound of that".

I can't argue with someone who doesn't want to learn enough to offer an
argument.

> If you
> can discuss it at all, I'll be less ignorant.

We do discuss, and you ignore.  Repeatedly.

> If you buy in to
> meta-discussions, you'll only succeed in entertaining me.
>
>    [...]
> >You are supporting a statement that Win9x was poorly engineered.
>
> I certainly am.

Then back it up, else it is nothing but an assertion.

> >> My own
> >> position is that all Microsoft software is extremely poorly engineered.
> >
> >Then provident evidence, reasoning or proof to support your position.
>
> Stop denying all the evidence around you.

I'm not.  "All the evidence around me", some of which I have posted
previously in this threads, points towards Windows 95 to be at worst, a
competently engineered product.

> There's certainly nothing
> that I can miraculously provide from way over here on the other side of
> Usenet that's going to be very compelling to someone for whom an
> argument from ignorance is sufficiently convincing in the first place.

Why don't you try, for once ?  If this evidence to which you allude is so
obvious and common, how hard can it be to provide *one* example ?

> >IE's integration into Windows was quite clearly good software
engineering.
> >Indeed, OSS projects such as KDE and GNOME have gone along a similar
path.

> That's not only a lie, that's a damn lie, and a piece of utter bullshit
> to boot.

*sigh*.  I know I'm wasting my time, but....
Prove it.

> No, I'm sorry, I'm not buying into any lame "built in browser"
> silliness.

Whether you do or not is irrelevant to the fact that the people responsible
for, at the very least, KDE and GNOME have alreayd "bought into it".

> That Linux desktops (and Sun did it on Solaris, too, and
> depending on how stoically ignorant you want to be, you could bring up
> Mac or any other system) have "built in browsers" says nothing about
> whether whatever you want to call Win98 is "good software engineering".

The Mac no longer has a "built in browser", although it used to.  KDE does.
GNOME does.  Sun I don't know about, but I don't think they did.

There's a huge difference between a "bundled" browser, like say IE with
MacOS, or the one that shipped with OS/2, and an "integrated" browser made
up of a bunch of software components like IE, KDE or GNOME.

And it *is* good software engineering - at least by fairly commonly accepted
thinking that componentised systems are Good Things.

> >If you want to support the position that IE was integrated solely as a
means
> >to support a "monopoly", then you will have to explain why it was done in
> >such a "well engineered" way.
>
> Only if I bought in to a very poor excuse for a line of reasoning.

Which would be ?

> I'll
> have to decline, I'm afraid.

I'll take that as an "I can't".

> You are boring me with this tired, empty,
> retreaded posturing.

You're pretty boring yourself with the constant refusal to discuss topics
and the usual bowing out when faced with an issue you can't bluster about,
or blather on philosophically within.

> Check my response to the same general arguments as
> you or some others may have posted them three years ago.  They were just
> as unsupported then, but at least they were a bit more novel back then.

If my memory serves me correctly, your responses had little to do with
software engineering, unsurprisingly.

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The dusty Linux shelves at CompUSA
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:30:59 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Looney tunes (the original ones) are the best.
>
> My favorite is the Bugs Bunny episode with the 2 crooks Rocky and the
> boss.
>
> The one where bugs say's "Would I throw a lighted match into the oven
> if my friend Rocky was in it?
>
> Ya might Rabbit...
> Ya might...
>
> Hysterical...
>
> The Jim Brody jumping off the Bklyn Bridge is another good one.
>
> Claire

Much as I hate to agree with you on anything Steve/Simon/whatnot.

My favorite Looney Tunes with gansters was another of the Rocky and Boss
ones with Bugs under the floor and Rocky on roller skates.  Bugs uses a
magnet to pull Rocky across the floor and smash 'boss' and then 'boss'
beats him back.  It's killer.

The other big one with gangsters is the one where bugs throws the
gangster boss in the chest and carries him up and down the stairs and
beats him all over the place, at the end of it the ganster is ready to
turn himself in to get away from 'that crazy rabbit, seee, yeah'.

The only other one that is cooler is where Daffy and Porky share a room
in a motel and Daffy has an imaginary friend called Himey.  He tells
Himey to be quiet when entering the room and then starts screaming as
soon as he opens the door.  The whole thing was hilarious.  Especially
the scene with Porky calling Daffy all kinds of names and when he gets
done Daffy says, "Unsanitary, why you little."

OK, I'd better stop now.
Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft MCSE
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:37:15 -0400

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Why should there be?  MCSD is Microsoft Certified SOLUTIONS Developer,
> not
> > > SYSTEMS developer.  There are C++ tracks for the MCSD, but they're also
> >
> > So, if the Microsoft Certified POLLUTIONS Developer doesn't know the
> > difference between one system call that's efficient, and another
> > similar one which is inefficient, it doesn't matter to you, right?
> >
> > This is precisely why there are fewer M$ SOLUTIONS than POLLUTIONS!
>
> No, it means that VB, SQL, and Java languages are incapable of systems level
> programming.

You forgot to include the word "also"

>  The techniques you mention are impossible to implement in
> these languages, thus a developer in those languages has no need to
> understand them.

Wrong.  IF a programmer's code TRIGGERS garbage collection, then
he would be well advised to understand how it works.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re: Anonymous
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:39:25 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >
> > > Stephen S. Edwards II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:8na24m$akh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > What is FVWM missing that explorer.exe provides for a working
> environment?
> >
> > Frequent crashes.
>
> That is a *feature*!?!  I thought it was a bug.  (or should I say issue?)

According to Microsoft, it doesn't exist...until they've got a new
version to sell....

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Dave Furniss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Notebook/Windows rebate?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:46:52 +0100

One of the reasons you must have the package is that they clone their PC's
and so have a standard copy they install on all PC's.  It would be more work
for them to fit a blank, Formatted hard drive.

Officially you can return the software to Microsoft, but I don't know how
successful you would be if you tried.  Contact Microsoft and find out (get
it in writing), but beware, they may only offer you a rebate to use against
Microsoft software and not a cash refund. Also, you would own an OEM version
of the software and not the Retail version, so you may run into problems
there.  My guess would be that they would put the responsibility back on the
software provider (DELL) rather than Microshaft themselves!!!

Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
From: Chris Wenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:53:28 GMT

    > On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:04:02 "Christopher Smith"
    > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    > ¯...since I disgree with the law in principle and consider
    > ¯most of the evidence to be irrelevant, it's hardly surprising I have a
    > ¯different opinion to you, no ?

    > Face reality sonny boy. It is not a case of the whole world
    > being wrong and you being right. Stick your head in the sand
    > and pretend all you want - but deep in your heart you have
    > to face the fact that you are 100% full of shit.

 And why are you so full of coprolalia?

 Just debate the facts, man. Jeez. If he's wrong then it ought to be
 easy.

Regards,

Chris Wenham

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:49:36 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >They should pull the Windows and Mac's out.  They serve no purpose
> >other than to befuddle the underclassemen with stupid ideas.
>
>         And what, in particular, might those be?

That "point & click" has anything to do with "computer engineering"
and/or "computer science"

> --
> Loren Petrich                           Happiness is a fast Macintosh
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      And a fast train
> My home page: http://www.petrich.com/home.html

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Are Linux people illiterate?
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:50:12 -0400

"Colin R. Day" wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> > > What about the word "sevodnia" (latinized as I have no damn
> > > idea how to enter Cyrillic in Netscape).
> >
> > Oh yeah... lone exception.
>
> Given my (not huge) awareness of Russian, I wasn't sure about that.
> If one include accents, Russian is much more phonetic.

segodnya is actually a contraction of

sego + dnje

this   day.

> Colin Day

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: SamIam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:59:55 -0500

What are you some kind of loon or something?  You must have a pretty sad
life if you spend your spare time counting linux boxes and trolling
newsgroups.  Maybe you should get out more and realize there's more to
life than what OS you run on your PC.  Geez.

--Sam

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux people don't speak Russian very well (was Re: Are Linux people
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:54:23 -0400

"Colin R. Day" wrote:

> Andres Soolo wrote:
>
> > Jim Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > Thanks.  It covers well the holes left by me and describes transliteration.
> >
> > > `ch' "chernii". That `e' in there is actually a `yo', which looks
> > > like an E-umlaut in Russian but turns into an ordinary e in Roman.
> > Even Russians often skip the umlaut and just use `e'.  I don't know
> > why, but it's usually written as e-umlaut only in beginners' textbooks
> > and dictionaries.

> > > Hard sign, but AFAIR that's very rare.
> > Yes, and it's usage is decreasing.  It's basically a leftover from Old
> > Russian.  I can think of only one non-rare word that uses that.  It's
> > syest, spelt s-hard sign-e-s-t-soft sign, looks like C ~b E C T b and means
> > `to eat' in perfect.
>
> (AFAIK)
> Before the Communist Revolution, every word ended in a hard sign, soft sign,
> or vowel. The Soviets may have considered the use of a hard sign at the end
> of a word to be inefficient, and so got rid of it.
>
> The hard sign occurs in "obisnatch" (again, no attempt at Cyrillic), which
> means "to explain".
>
> Colin Day

It's rather rare... restricted mainly to words that begin with the
prefix "ob-", such as what you gave as an example.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.