From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 23:46:00 -0400

Peter Ammon wrote:

> Joe Ragosta wrote:
> >
> > You may not need statistics, but several people on this group questioned
> > it.
> >
> > Apparently, they really believe that the poor are paying a higher
> > percentage of their income in taxes than the rich.
>
> That's obviously false...the rich do pay a higher percentage of their
> income in taxes.  But they also can afford to, since the marginal
> utility of money is higher for the poor than the rich.  After all, a
> poor person needs each additional dollar more than a rich person.
> What's not so obvious is whether the poor pay a smaller percentage of
> what they can afford.
>
> I'm not saying that "everyone pays an equal percentage of what they can
> afford" is necessarily a just taxation system, but it does seem to be
> the philosophy behind a progressive tax.

And by that same philosophy, if the guy earning $10,000/year pays
$1.50/pound for hamburger, then the guy earning $30,000/year should pay
$4.50/pound (or more) for hamburger.

> -Peter

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 23:47:19 -0400

david raoul derbes wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Joe Ragosta  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike Marion
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> I don't think we need statistics to prove that.. just pay attention to
> >> how
> >> you've been taxed depending on how much you've made.  I know that I'm
> >> paying a
> >> substantial percentage more now then I was at my lower-paying job about 3
> >> years ago.
> >
> >You may not need statistics, but several people on this group questioned
> >it.
> >
> >Apparently, they really believe that the poor are paying a higher
> >percentage of their income in taxes than the rich.
>
> OK, once more, here's the problem.
>
> Do the highest earners pay the largest amount of money? You betcha:
> the table I quoted showed approximately the top 1% of earners paid
> about 31% of all the tax dollars. Boy, are we socking it to the rich!
>
> Well... not so fast.
>
> Suppose it happens that the top 1% of the earners earned 80% of the
> income? (This is only an absurd hypothesis: I have no idea what
> fraction of the gross national income was earned by this fraction
> of the population.) Then, assuming my absurd number, 69% of the
> tax dollars would be raised by those who earn 20% of the money.
> That would not strike me as fair.

Why?  Are "rich" people taking up space on city busses proportionate
to their income?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 23:48:24 -0400

ZnU wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > ZnU wrote:

> > > And spending more than Gore on things like (broken) missile
> > > defense.
> >
> > As I recall, the early astronautic program was even more fucked up
> > (or are all of those films of rockets going sideways, falling over,
> > or even falling backwards just latter day fakes?)
>
> The problem is, the missile defense system is bad even if it works.

By that logic, so door locks.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 23:48:55 -0400

ZnU wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "JS/PL"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "ZnU" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > The problem is, the missile defense system is bad even if it works.
> > >
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > What's bad about it? It maintains superiority, which is good. Unless
> > you think NOT being the most militarily superior country is
> > desirable. U.S. Strength is maintaining peace.  If China doesn't like
> > the fact that we are building the ability to stop first strikes in
> > mid launch, I'd have to say - to bad.
>
> It's an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

ZnU is INSANE

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 23:49:53 -0400

Eric Bennett wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "JS/PL"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > What's bad about it? It maintains superiority, which is good. Unless you
> > think NOT being the most militarily superior country is desirable. U.S.
> > Strength is maintaining peace.  If China doesn't like the fact that we
> > are
> > building the ability to stop first strikes in mid launch, I'd have to say
> > -
> > to bad.
>
> In case you hadn't noticed, we already have superiority.  I'm a little
> worried by the notion that we think we can simply outspend everybody
> every time we face a threat.  Sure, it worked with Russia, but it also
> helped run up a huge debt.  Do we want to repeat the exercise with China?
>
> I'm sure you know the chain reaction theory here.  The U.S. builds this
> system and the Chinese react.  Then the U.S. is more secure against
> North Korea and Iraq, but not against China and Russia.  What are the
> other consequences?  Well, the Indians say they maintain nukes as a
> deterrent to the Chinese, to they're going to build too.  And that means
> Pakistan will follow.  I don't think either of those things would affect
> U.S. security directly, but I do think it would destabilize Asia, and
> would therefore make your claim that U.S. strength maintains the peace
> rather dubious.  A missile defense system for the U.S. could help us
> marginally, but at the expense of increasing the likelihood of nuclear
> confrontation elsewhere in the world.  I don't think that's wise.

By that logic, door locks are bad because they maintain superiority
over burglars without lock-picking tools.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 23:51:13 -0400

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 15:35:31 -0400, JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >What's bad about it? It maintains superiority, which is good.
>
> The major problems with missle defense are:
>
> 1.  It is horrifically expensive and the threat is vague.  The stated
> threats of "third world nukes" and "terrorist nukes" are bullshit
> because those groups will deliver nukes, if they deliver them, through
> means other than the ICBM's they don't have.  Can you say "Maginot
> Line"?
>
> 2.  Offense is much cheaper than defense.  A warhead is orders of
> magnitude cheaper than the interceptor that's supposed to stop it.
> Decoys are effective and cheaper still.  Therefore, a defense that is
> at all effective, or claimed to be, simply invites the adversary to
> build a bigger and more varied offense.  This will make it more
> difficult to get meaningful reductions in arsenals from the countries
> that *do* have ICBM's, thereby decreasing our security and world
> stability rather than increasing it.

So...then, your idea is...

Expand the number of ICBM's in the American arsenal, AND
build large numbers of decoys, and blast China to hell if
they launch even one missile.

> 3.  There is no known way to make it work.  Even with the spending of
> infinite money, nobody knows how to make a system that will work and
> that can't be spoofed by cheap decoys or overwhelmed by large numbers
> of incoming warheads.  And it has to work the first time it is ever
> used, not having ever been tested to full-scale.
>
> So we will use propaganda to scare our enemies into thinking that our
> costly system works, and they will counter with relatively cheap
> measures like building more missiles and deploying more MIRVs.  But the
> system won't actually work and we will end up in a worse strategic
> position than before.  All the while nobody is actually threatening
> anything, except us (as the rest of the world will see it).
>
> I think the whole program is based on misplaced Cold-War paranoia and
> is a colossal waste of money.
>
> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| To Whom You Are Speaking
>  -| http://www.haucks.org/

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 23:53:57 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> >ZnU wrote:

> >> And spending more than Gore on things like (broken) missile defense.
> >>
> >> The fact is, I don't _know_ he'll be deficit spending. He's so vague on
> >> the issues that it's hard to tell anything at all. But he'll either be
> >> deficit spending or he'll be cutting killing rather important social
> >> programs, and neither is worth it just to give the average american
> >> family a $43/year tax break. And there's certainly no chance of him
> >> paying down the debt.
>
> >If the Democrats are oooooooooh so fucking worried about the National Debt,
> >then why did they run it up to $7,000,000,000,000 in the first place?
>
> Are you playing complete asshole to entertain us or are you really stupid
> enough to think that the Democrats passed Reaganomics  -- Which is where the
> debt came from.

You fucking MORON.

1.  The president doesn't write the budget...CONGRESS DOES.

What part of "All spending bills must start in the House of
Representatives"
do you not understand?

Tax revenues went UP UP UP after Reagan pushed for tax cuts.

The problem is, the House, under the Democrats led by Tipsy O'Neil
insisted on raising spending EVEN FASTER than revenues were increasing.

Do you understand any of this, retard?

> A little history for you. The entire national debt from George Washington to
> Jimmy Carter was just over one billion. The rest came from the programs
> started, voted for and run by the republicans and few southern democrats that
> later changed to the republican party.  -- Now you know who to place the blame
> on.

Presidents don't spend the money, retard....Congress does.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 23:54:43 -0400

Chad Irby wrote:

> "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > No - Reagan asked congress to spend less every single year he was in
> > office. They refused to spend less.
> >  http://reagan.webteamone.com/images/deficits.gif
>
> What that neat little graph doesn't show is the things they wanted to
> spend money on.  More B-1 bombers and supercarriers, anyone?

National Defence is MANDATED in the constitution.

Federal intrusion into local schools isn't.

Is any of this getting through to you?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 23:55:44 -0400

ZnU wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> > >
> > > Said Joe Ragosta in comp.os.linux.advocacy;

> > > Maybe from your perspective.  Try living on $24,000 a year with a
> > > family
> > > of 3.
> >
> > It wouldn't be too much to ask to REFRAIN FROM HAVING KIDS THAT
> > YOU FUCKING CAN'T AFFORD, would it?
>
> I think people are pretty clear on the issue. But they have the kids
> anyway. What are you going to do? Let the kids starve?

How many parents do you know who have let their kids starve to death?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 23:56:35 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said JS/PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >
> >"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> How will AlGore "improve" education?  That's the jobs of the
> >> school boards, principles, and teachers.  *THEY* can improve
> >> education any time they want to, merely be re-instituting
> >> rational curricula and strong discipline within the school.
> >
> >Wrong.
> >
> >The government cannot improve the current government provided education,
> >only competition in a free market can "improve a product or service".
>
> Great, one clueless libertarian arguing against another.  I suppose I
> ought to shut my mouth (or still my fingers, as it were) and enjoy, but
> I don't see much future in it.  The idea that public education can
> benefit from private profit-seeking is, well, stupid.
>
> >Any
> >polititian that promises to improve education is lying through his/her
> >teeth.
>
> No, they're just mistaken.

Don't be so gullible...

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.