From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 10:34:34 -0400

Joe Ragosta wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, ZnU
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > No. Simply overturn the Supreme Court ruling that disallows IQ tests
> > > for job placement.
> >
> > It's impossible to even come up with a single number to accurately
> > represent microprocessor performance and you think the same can be done
> > for the human brain?
>
> I'm curious about this Supreme Court ruling. When did they rule that?

Early 1970's.

> My company uses entrance exams for executive positions. They've found
> that people who score higher on the exam tend to do better jobs than
> those who score poorly.

The Supreme Court ruled that you can only test for "job relevant"
skills, which tilts the test in favor of those who have previous
experience for the position, and AWAY from those who are most able
to learn and adapt quickly.

> What's wrong with that--either legally or ethically?

Nothing.

> --
> Regards,
>
> Joe Ragosta
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~jragosta/complmac.htm

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 14:43:41 GMT

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 01:04:00 -0400, JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Bob Hauck wrote:

>> > The major problems with missle defense are:

>> So...then, your idea is...
>>
>> Expand the number of ICBM's in the American arsenal, AND
>> build large numbers of decoys, and blast China to hell if
>> they launch even one missile.

I think that is basically the current policy, isn't it, minus the
decoys?  Anyway, Aaron, the only reason I saw this is because JS/PL
replied and quoted it.  You are in my kill file.

>Now if there was a way to stop missiles immediately after launch.....

Yes, IF there were a way, that would be really cool.  A lot of other
things would be really cool IF there were a way to do them.  I think
non-technological solutions (i.e. arms reduction and a posture of
reduced readiness to launch on all sides) are both less costly and more
likely to actually work than SDI.

Your idea about getting "spinoffs" from SDI is a poor justification,
given that the program is classified.  As I said, if you think the
aerospace industry needs welfare, you'd get a better spinoff ratio by
giving the money to NASA for a Mars program or something.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Windows stability: Alternate shells?
Date: 27 Aug 2000 14:47:53 GMT

On Sun, 21 Aug 3900 06:37:23, R.E.Ballard ( Rex
Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        << mucho snippage >>

>  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  The one critical requirement was that the entire OS
> had to be available in Source code format because problems needed
> to be FIXED in a very short period of time.  When a bug affected
> one machine, it usually hit all of them very quickly.  The bug
> had to be fixed before multiple machines were lost.
>
> In one case, after an operator had taken down the system 3 times
> (we had ways of finding these things out) we paid him $500 cash
> to show us what he did.  We fixed the bug in 7 hours.

Letsee, a debugging team sent by Management needs
to bribe a mere factotum into retracing his
robo-motions? Was this somehow involved with an
ongoing worker solidarity (union action)
situation, or possibly you remember it as a case
where you would have been 'WILLING to pay 500-
cash' just to get the facts of the case? As you
state it it just seems too bizarre, or had you
paid another worker the day before the cash sum of
400- to .  .  .  ?  :)

Hey, I'm willing to allow a god bit of dramatic
license, but as a dues-paying Union member way
back when, I'm just having trouble visualizing the
scene.

My apologies for the interjection into another
fascinating view of the cyber-beast of OS's. A
keeper as usual.

> --
> Rex Ballard - I/T Architect, MIS Director
> Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer
> http://www.open4success.com
> Linux - 42 million satisfied users worldwide
> and growing at over 5%/month! (recalibrated 8/2/00)

Vacuo

~~~~~~~
Hear Timtron live on 7415 khz worldwide shortwave.
Tron power!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tad McClellan)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 09:59:30 -0400

On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 19:27:47 +1000, Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> It seems that too many people are so worked up about the XML format that
>> they are crediting it with magical properties.
>
>Yeh, there seems to be a lot of hype.  I guess it's the new toy syndrome.
                                                         ^^^^^^^

Structured markup is not new. It is (at least) 20 *years* old.

I am dumbfounded that most everybody thinks that XML is
"something new"...

So it isn't really "new toy" syndrome, it is more like
"a very old toy that I just now discovered" syndrome   :-)

--
    Tad McClellan                          SGML consulting
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]                     Perl programming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tad McClellan)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 10:02:04 -0400

On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 09:17:15 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Bob Hauck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 12:52:59 GMT, paul snow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Clearly, you *aren't* a developer.
>
>And that give him the perfect qualifications to determine what developers
>should be doing.  Read a little about the latest fad, like XML,
>understanding less than half of the information, credit it with magical
>properties to solve all ills and then direct developers to make it work
>somehow.  Sounds familiar?

Someone (name Scott, perhaps?) could get rich from a
comic strip that characterized that situation  :-)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 10:43:12 -0400

ZnU wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Joe
> Ragosta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, ZnU
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > It depends where you live. In rich suburbs, the public schools are of
> > > very high quality. They're properly funded. In inner cities, they're
> > > woefully underfunded, and they're horrible.
> >
> > You might want to check your facts.
> >
> > The funding level in some of those inner city schools isn't very
> > different from suburban spending.
>
> In 1992 in New York state the richest (suburban, of course) school
> district spent $38,572 per student vs. $5,423 for the poorest (inner
> city).
>
> In Texas, it was $42,000 vs. $3,098.
>
> In Illinois, it was $16,700 vs. $2,276.
>
> > Money doesn't solve problems.
>
> No, but good teachers, good equipment and good facilities do, and money
> pays for all of that.

Evidently, this man has never been in the military.

The majority of my military training, the classes have either been
held outside (i.e. ***NO*** teaching facility), or some minimal
resources structure.  I once had a class on military digital
telephone communications in a building that was literally falling
apart.  No heat, broken windows, roof was leaking like a seive,
no electricity--the unit sponsoring the class had to bring in
a generator on a trailer just so we could have  electricity for the
overhead projector (the facility was an old missile silo site south
of Detroit...and the surface buildings had not been maintained
in the slightest since the air force abandoned the site).

And yet...despite tall of that....we learned the material.

The problem with the public schools is *NOT* the quality of the
facilities...no...the problem with the public schools is what
material is being presented by the teachers...and what is not.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 27 Aug 2000 15:11:45 GMT

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 10:43:12 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>ZnU wrote:
>>

>The problem with the public schools is *NOT* the quality of the
>facilities...no...the problem with the public schools is what
>material is being presented by the teachers...and what is not.

Repeating the same falsehoods is not going to make them true. See my
other post.

I spent a year of high school in the US public school system ( well-to-do
yuppie district, but still, definitely a public school ), and it was quite
good. The school let everyone move at their own pace. The smart kids were
taking college calc in high school, the slow kids were free to amble along
and do algebra-trig in final year. There was nothing in the school system
that forced students to do badly, in fact quite the opposite, the school
did an excellent job at creating opportunities for gifted students.

The material presented by the teachers depended on the ability of the
students.

I'd argue that the inclusiveness of both America and its education system
makes it look considerably worse than it really is. I'd conjecture that
if you were to take two children of *equal ability* and put one through
Japan's system and one through America's, there wouldn't be a substantial
difference in the end result.

You cannot make meaningful claims about the performance of an education system
unless you control for the ability of incoming students !!!

The problem with these arguments that America's high schools are "poor
performers" is that by way of either deceit or ignorance, they misapply
statistics that do not in anyway control for the ability of incoming
students.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: "Joe Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Tholen digest, volume 2451784.bo76^-.0000001
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:32:22 GMT

Here's today's Tholen digest.  Notice how he's ignored the evidence for the
fact that he likes to "hear" himself, as well as the evidence for his
reading comprehension problem.  Nor did he explain why he's so stuck on
"Slava's" question; indeed, he continues to assume that everybody knows who
"Slava" is.  And he's still plagued with "parrot" syndrome, claiming that I
have made remarks about his responding one article at a time in the process
(as
his multiplicitous responses attest).  Lastly, he clearly doesn't understand
the concept of a digest, given that he keeps complaining about my posting a
"Tholen digest".  So sad, so Tholen.

To the digest improper:

[Yep, since 1992 nothing worth repeating!]

Bye!
--

"USB, idiot, stands for Universal Serial Bus. There is no power on the
output socket of any USB port I have ever seen" - Bob Germer

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 11:39:42 -0400

> Said Christopher Smith in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >
> >"ZnU" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Again, that's true _now_. Microsoft has made it unprofitable for
> >> competitors to bother, so there is no serious competition.
> >
> >With Office, it's been true for a very, very long time.  Back to the
Windows
> >3.1 days.
>
> Oh, yea!  Remember when we figured we'd have desktop applications
> aplenty from *everybody* who wanted to make applications competing for
> our business, instead of just Microsoft pushing new crap on top of old
> crap?  Hoo-WEEE!  I can't *wait* for that OS pre-load market to open up.

Been down in a hole for the past five years or what? OEM computers are
jammed full of non Microsoft software

------------------------------

From: David Dorward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Large disks still not supported on Linux?
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 16:56:21 +0100

RCS wrote:

> I was wondering if the upcoming kernel 2.4 supports larger harddisks than
> previously?
>  ( or maybe its lilo that needs to be updated for this?)
[snip]

Linux is quite happy with large hard disks (at least with my 2.2.x
kernel). There are two reasons you may be having this misconception:

The kernel itself my live near the begining of the harddisk
Your disk partitioning tool may not support > 6gb hard disks
Your BIOS may not support > 6gb hard disks.

SuSE 6.4 quite happily installed on my 30.7 gig IDE hard disk.

--
David Dorward
http://www.dorward.co.uk/