From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:03:32 GMT

On 30 Aug 2000 00:41:06 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[ snip ]
>
>>Please tell me exactly WHAT purpose is served by teaching 6-year olds
>>about human sexuality (heterosexual or homosexual), other than
>>propagandizing them to engage in such before they are ready.

        ...so they don't get themselves PREGNANT at 11 you spooner boob!

>Do the books actually say anything explicit about sexuality ? For example,
>are these pieces of literature pornographic ? Or do they merely deal with
>the fact that not everyone lives in a "traditional" family ?
>
>If the books actually describe sexual acts, I can see why they'd be unsuitable
>for small children, but it's not self evident from the titles that this is
>what they do.

        Even explicit sexual education may not be out of line. Usually,
        children are more 'mature' than most adults give them credit for.
        By the time you think they are 'ready for it', the information
        may be too late.

        In my neighborhood, pre-teen pregancy preceeded sex ed.

--
        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:18:06 -0400

Said Joe Ragosta in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>Eric Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
   [...]
>> Here's a good one: I know somebody whose student aid couldn't be
>> released until she was enrolled, but she couldn't pay the tuition (and
>> thus couldn't be enrolled) until she got the aid.  Go figure.
>
>I went through something similar at Penn State. I can't remember how I
>eventually resolved it, though.

Generally, in any situation like that, a letter from the college stating
that when the money is received, the student will be enrolled should be
sufficient to release the funds from the grant agency.  Score one for
the "self sufficiency" side.

The bitch is, there are a lot of people who think that you have to
*deserve* assistance in order to get it from others, and it may take a
judge, with the requisite legal entanglements.  Score one for the real
world.  The way you eventually resolved it, I'd assume, Joe, is that you
got the money from somewhere, and are conveniently forgetting where you
got it from.

Since every year and a half or so, it seems appropriate, I'll now
undertake my own story.  Actually, its my wife's story.  I use it
without her permission, but we're married, so that's my problem, not
yours.

My wife was an unwed mother at 23.  Born as the oldest child before two
sets of twins to a rural couple in central Pennsylvania, of modest
means.  Her family had were 7th Day Adventists, of varying devotion,
she'd become pregnant accidentally with her boyfriend of a year.  She's
a liberal (now an avid Democrat) through and through, and I'm sure her
decision to have the baby was a conscious one.  I've never explored the
issue with her, but I presume her decision not to marry the guy was a
good one, and that seems justified by his current situation.

She had a standard public education, and is a bright girl, you'll see.
She lived with her parents for some time, but after her son was a
toddler, she needed to get a job.  So she started taking classes at the
community college for clerical work.  She got on welfare [AFDC,
foodstamps, medicare] and moved into public-assisted housing.  The
crappy little rent "townhouse" in the suburbs she lived in cost her
$100, but would have (and some did) go for $600 on the open market.  It
was worth it to get away from her parents.

About the time this happened, she had to take a science course.  She
chose biology, and became enraptured.  She asked guidance from her
advisors and instructors, and most of them expressed, in various ways,
that they weren't sure if it was an appropriate pursuit.  Luckily, there
were one or two who said "Sure, go for it."  They were, of course, those
flakey far-liberal types who figure 'you can be anything you want', like
good little lefties.  So she started going for an Associates Degree in
biology.  Stretching her paltry funds for herself and her son past the
breaking point at times, she applied for every grant and loan and
scholarship that she could manage while maintaining a good average and
put herself through a relatively exclusive private college to achieve
her Bachelors.

This spring, she will attain a Doctorate in Molecular Biology, and
proceed to continue her work in cancer research.  Since she began the
five-to-eight year program at Hershey Medical Center/Penn State, she
gets a small stipend (more than she ever had up to that point, but she'd
lose all public assistance, of course, and she'd have had to pay for
medical insurance, with a soon-to-be-teenager), but we've been married,
and I make enough for both of us (almost).

So let's not second-guess whether people are making the right choices.
Let's just double-check that there isn't anyone who is forced to choose
between life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness.  Everybody is supposed
to get all three, and saying they can always trade one for the other is
just plain wrong.

To say that you're not talking about my wife's situation is hand-waving.
If you are talking about welfare, you are talking about my wife's
situation, as much as any other particular case.

  -- Such is my recollection of my reconstruction
   of events at the time, as I recall.  Consider it.
       Research assistance gladly accepted.  --

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:14:33 GMT

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 01:58:01 -0400, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said Aaron R. Kulkis in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>   [...]
>>If American high schools are doing such a good job, then why have
>>American universities found it necessary to put larger and larger
>>percentage of incoming freshman (AMERICAN CITIZENS, not foreign
>>exchange students) through remedial english classes.
>
>I blame the Beatles.
>
>>In fact, why is it RARE to find foreign-born students in collegiate
>>remedial english classes?

        ...because they are all in ESL courses...

>Perhaps because they are the cream of the crop from their own countries
>to begin with?
[deletia]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.
Ballard       says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:16:50 GMT

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:33:08 -0300, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:

>> >Whatever. If you really believe what you write, I see no way to
>> >convince you.
>>
>>         There is more to contribute than badly written C++ code.
>
>Indeed, there is also good C++ code, and all variants of C code,
>not to mention documentation, art and bug reports.
>
>And money.
>
>Usenet arguments in c.o.l.a? That's crap. If you believe the guy
>dumping an apple core in your sidewalk contributes to your
>neighborhood, allow me to disagree.

        It's nice to see you as pompous as ever.

        Otherwise we might all get the impression
        that the apocalypse is about to begin.

[deletia]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Cool Idea
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:17:20 GMT

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:04:51 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote
>on Tue, 29 Aug 2000 18:22:54 GMT
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>>
>>>I believe some window managers support this type of thing. IIRC, you can
>>>bind mouse moves to the keyboard in fvwm for example.
>>>
>>>In practice, it's best to use the mouse as a mouse, and use things like
>>>window-cycling bindings and other keybindings if you just want to switch
>>>apps or use the "panel"/"taskbar"  or whatever.
>>
>>      It is perfectly viable to control the graphics cursor
>>       with the keyboard.  There's really no good reason to
>>       not support that sort of feature.
>
>Unless somebody refused to license the patent.... :-) :-)

        Atari has prior art from 1985. ;-ppp

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:18:37 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" escribió:
> >
> > C Lund wrote:

> > > Hmm... the working poor? I don't know which specific jobs they have. My
> > > guess it's the ones that pay minimal wage. Or less.
> >
> > Please name ONE individual who is:
> >
> > A) Working *AT LEAST* 40 hours/week
> > B) Is living within his means. (*)
> > and
> > C) is "trapped" in poverty
> >
> > (*) Having children you can't afford is NOT "living within your means"
>
> What should someone do if he could, at the time, afford a child
> and later can't? Suggestions? Infanticide doesn't count as one.

How many non-disabled adults does this apply to?

> --
> Roberto Alsina

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Enemies of Linux are MS Lovers
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:19:20 GMT

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:26:51 -0500, Jerry O'Quinn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 18:24:19 -0500, Jerry O'Quinn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>
>>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>.
>> >..
>of
>> >Can you image what would happen if you forced any distribution of Linux
>down
>> >their throats...
>>
>> There would certainly be none of these implosion issues that
>> arise from merely wanting to exploit the full library of
>> applications available for a particular platform.
>
>Huh?!?

        Most operating systems don't implode when you install lots
        of software. WinDOS is actually unusual in this respect.
        It's just that people in general are not aware of this and
        don't automatically view WinDOS as it should be viewed when
        it does this sort of thing.

        WinDOS has been sold on the size of it's software library
        since the early 80's.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re: American schools ARE being sabotaged from within.
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:21:27 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:33:14 -0400
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >http://www.freep.com/news/metro/dicker30_20000830.htm
>
> OH NO!
>
> Linux is the direct cause of low school scores across the nation!
>
> Danger Will Robinson!
>
> Um...wait...Linux isn't being *used* in schools yet....???

Schools would be IMPROVED if they were using Linux.

> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- next thing you know we'll be arguing Keynesian economics...
>                     oh, wait, that's the next thread over...

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:04:40 -0700

The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> OH NO!
>
> Linux is the direct cause of low school scores across the nation!
>
> Danger Will Robinson!
>
> Um...wait...Linux isn't being *used* in schools yet....???

You bubble headed booby!  Don't you know that its Windows and Macs that are
used in schools?  Straighten up!  Or I will have to take you power pack
away!

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Nothing like a SECURE database, is there Bill?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:29:59 -0400

Steve Mading wrote:

> Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : Considering that you have to connect to the database to set the
> : passwords, they better leave you SOME open entry ;-)
>
> It seems to me that in this type of situation, the installer
> should generate a random, but usable, password from some very
> simple scheme, ("Roll a d46, 1-26 equals A-Z, 27-36 equals 0-9,
> and 37-46 is the punctiation marks above the numbers", repeat for
> 8 characters). Then it could tell you what this password is during
> the installation program.  Is there any product out there that
> uses this technique?

Why dod that?

JUST PROMPT THE ADMIN FOR A PASSWORD.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:29:51 GMT

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:39:37 -0400, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] () in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>   [...]
>>      Living well should never need to imply "beyond one's means".
>   [...]
>
>Just in case it was lost in the rhetoric; wise words.

>>>What part of "underpaid" do you not understand?
>>
>>      It's time for Mr. "living beyond one's means" to back up
>>      those generalities with data. It might be intriguing to
>>      see what this person thinks the 'lower classes' should be
>>      willing to put up with.
>
>Whatever he did, I presume, as his entire position seems to be based on
>the fact that he, as a putatively capable healthy young white male, was
>once 'poor', and managed to pull himself up by his own bootstraps.  It
>would be interesting to see his reaction to some real numbers.

        To me he sounds more like a spoiled WASP suburbanite born with
        a silver spoon in his mouth. If he is genuinely aware of the
        burdens placed on the children of the lower classes, I would
        expect him to be a bit more sympathetic to those that are
        coming after him.

        To me, throwing people to the wolves is not useful even from a
        selfish viewpoint. People don't suddenly dissapear because you
        don't have to deal with them directly anymore. I view effective
        social welfar as a way of LOWERING my tax hit while ensuring
        that my nation will remain worth residing in as I creep towards
        retirement. A nation of peons thrown to the wolves does not
        benefit me. A nation educated well enough to take advantage of
        emerging opportunities does.

        Also, it's cheaper to clean up the poo sooner rather than later.

        It is cheaper per year to send a man to college than it is to
        imprison him.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:10:55 GMT

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 08:38:43 -0400, Nik Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >All it takes is a teacher who doesn't like you and gives you poor grades
>> >no matter what you do. Anddon't tell me that doesn't happen. And good
>> >grades in school is not a garantee for a wellpaid job later in life.
>>
>> It takes a bit more than that. Even people with relatively
>> weak academic performance can still go on to achieve useful
>> professional certifications and acquire reasonably quite good
>> salaries.
>
>After all, look at George Bush jnr.

        Actually, I wasn't talking about spooners.

        It is quite true that they have certain advantages due to
        their birth. So the "possibilties" are magnified and you
        end up with the likes of Quayle and Bush Jr.

>> A person's immediate circle of influences is far more likely
>> to have a good or bad effect on one's eventual success.
>>

>See previous comment :-)

        Parental encouragement or purchase of draft-evader cards
        are much more relevant than mediocre teachers that could
        sell you short or carry out a vendetta against you.