From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform - was Re: Linsux as a desktop
platform
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 22:02:52 -0700

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:43It5.7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8p7g5u$g3m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > It is more like Microsoft told the world that the world told Microsoft
> that
> > MDI was passe and "bad"; so they could have an excuse to dump it.  That
is
> > AFTER MDI had already served its real purpose for Microsoft.  Do you
know
> > what the real purpose of MDI was?
>
> To give you something to theorize a conspiracy about?

The 8086 processor supported 1Meg of memory which was divided into 65,536
paragraphs.  The memory was made accessible in the form of segments which
were grouping of 4,096 sequential paragraphs which amounted to 65,536 byte.
The paragraph numbers were stored in four segment registers, CS (code
segment), DS (data segment), SS (stack segment), ES (extra segment).  Any
paricular memory location would be referenced by taking that value of the
pertinent segment register, shifting that value logical left by four bits to
form the absolute address of the start of the segment and then add to that
vaule a sixteen bit value known as the offset.  this sum of the offset and
the left shifted value from the segment register produced a twenty-bit
absolute address to be referenced.

Writing programs in assembler we could use the memory anyway we needed, but
when shifting to compiled languages we had to contend with as many as six
"pure" memory models.  They were tiny, small, medium, compact, large, and
huge.  The tiny memory model required all four registers to contain the same
value limiting the programs text, data, stack, and dynamic memory to exist
in a single 65536 byte block of memory.  The Small memory model set the
SS,DS, ES to the same value and the CS to a sepperate value; provide one
65,536 bytes block of memory for data, stack, and dynamic memory and a
different 65,536 bytes block of memory for the programs machine code.  The
medium memory model treated the SS, DS, and ES they same way as the small
model but, it also permited multiple code segments and the CS would be
changed as needed which meant the limit on the programs machine code was the
size of the computer's available memory.  The compact memory model was the
opposite of the medium, the CS was now limited to one 65,536 byte segment
again but the stack now had a segment of its own and could grow up to 65,536
bytes of memory while data, and dynamic memory was limited only by the the
amount of available memory on the computer; however all data blocks were
limited to 65,536 bytes.  The next memory model was large, it handled
machine code like the medium memoey model and data, stack and dynamic memory
like the compact memory model.  Finally there was the huge memory model
which was like the large memory model although it did permit memory block
larger than 65,536 bytes through various mechinations with the DS and ES.

To some who did not not familiar with those days, all this may seem to have
been complex and pointless, but in reality were didn't mind it as much as
you would assume since at least this did give us up to 1,048,576 bytes of
memory, although the PC design limited it to just 640K.  You have to
remember that the previous generation microprocessors could only handle a
maximum memory size of 65,536 bytes.

Now because of the memory handling since early Window you could execute
multiple copies of Windows programs written to he small and medium memory
models and they would work without interfering with each other.  Note that
the tiny and huge memory models were not compatible with Windows.  But when
your Windows program required the compact or large memory models you could
only execute only one copy of it at a time, and Windows enforced this limit,
otherwise the multiple copies would interfer with each others' data
segments.

This became a common complaint against Windows, that you could only run one
copy of a compact or large program and therefore only have one document
handled by that program at a time.

So, the MDI (Multiple Document Interface) was introduced to address this
complaint.  Now you could still only run one copy of a compact or large
program but it could handle multiple documents which would be finctionaly
like running multiple copies of the program.  When the current Windows now
longer needed MDI for this purpose, Microsoft down played it telling us the
we did not want it anymore.

There,  that was the real purpose of MDI.

Know your history, know what was, and know what came before, is all that is
needed to answer my question of: "Do you know what the real purpose of MDI
was?"

For it is the doom of men that they forget! -- Merlin in "Excaliber"

So where is "the something to theorize a conspiracy about"?

How does this lead to "...BE THERE WITH US, BROTHER, OR BE HUNTED DOWN LIKE
THE DOG YOU ARE !" stated by Christopher Smith?

Anybody felling out there feeling silly yet?

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
platform
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 22:04:00 -0700

Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:39b790a1$0$26551$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8p7g5u$g3m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > "D. Spider" wrote:
> > >
> > > The world told MS that MDI was passe and "bad".  You talk it up?
> Explain.
> > Note
> > > that you are also posting into a Mac group :-)
> > >

> > It is more like Microsoft told the world that the world told Microsoft
> that
> > MDI was passe and "bad"; so they could have an excuse to dump it.  That
is
> > AFTER MDI had already served its real purpose for Microsoft.  Do you
know
> > what the real purpose of MDI was?
>
> I do.
>
> The introduction of MDI actually gave MS the leverage they needed to move
> several "friendly" individuals of some considerable authority and power
into
> key positions in every major nation's political and military lineups.
They
> did this while everyone was distracted by how godawful the whole idea of
THE
> MDI interface was.  Now, as MDI dies its slow death, this is actually a
> global countdown (think Independance Day) towards The Cleansing.  When the
> last MDI app disappears, that is the signal for the aforementioned "people
> of power" to step to the fore, WRENCH CONTROL FROM THE OTHER POOR FOOLS
AND
> PUT THE MASTER PLAN INTO ACTION.  ALL USERS OF NON-MICROSOFT OSES WILL BE
> GATHERED TOGETHER INTO CAMPS AND SYSTEMATICALLY EXTERMINATED.  MACHINES
> WITHOUT INTEL OR INTEL COMPATIBLE CPUS WILL BE BURNT IN GREAT PYRES.  THE
> STREETS WILL RUN WITH THE BLOOD OF THE UNFAITHFUL AND THE TRANSLUCENT
> PLASTIC OF MELTING IMACS.  BE THERE WITH US, BROTHER, OR BE HUNTED DOWN
LIKE
> THE DOG YOU ARE !
>
> <wipes sweat from brow>

See my reply to Erik on this issue within this thread, it applies to you
too.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grega Bremec)
Subject: Re: Computer and memory
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 05:11:00 GMT

...and Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> used the keyboard:

<snip>

Just a bit of fun: see how he proves he doesn't understand a single
thing of the case in question:

>I've understood since day one. You guys are the ones that aren't
>listening to me.
>
>Case in point:
>---------------
>> Internet access in Britain is not slow per se. As it happens, at my
>> college, I get completely free broadband access.
>> The problem lies in the _link_ to the USA. That _LINK_ is slow,
>> therefore it takes a long time to download large software service packs
>> from Redmond. That has nothing to do with the general speed of internet
>> access in the UK. It has to do with the transatlantic link. Or mabey you
>> guys have a faster transatlantic link than us ;-)
>---------------
>
>Ok, so?  My point:
>
>Instead of whining about your connections and blaming it on everyone
>but yourselves, why don't you fix it?

Do you understand, Chad, that Europeans are not the only ones to blame
for a bad (and slow) transcontinental link? "2:1" told you that his
local transfer rates are entirely satisfactory. Which I find out every
day, as having sunsite.org.uk (that's the host that's situated in the
Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine at the University
of London) as my favourite mirror. You know, the entire Central Europe
is in between me and the college, and the transfer rates can still be
as high as 80 to 150KB/sec.

>Why do you wait for us to do something for you?

Because it takes two to fix a cross-atlantic link. I'm not going to
pay my neighbours' road repair if the part of the road in front of my
house is broken as well.

BTW, Chad: you managed to officially lose the debate. See

    http://www.gbsoft.org/jargon/html/entry/Godwin's-Law.html

and laugh about it.

Cheerio,

--
    Grega Bremec
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grega Bremec)
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 05:15:54 GMT

...and Otto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> used the keyboard:

>Another lesson in history, just for you and the seemingly weak education
>system in Belgium.... The native americans, a.k.a indians, were wiped out by
>European settlers way before someone could blame the US for it. Not to
>mention the fact that in the early years of US most of the population was
>Europeans.

ROTFLMAO! :-))))

...and then they magically transformed into another nation called "The
Amahricannz" somehow. Otto, you kill me. :-)

>That's funny that you'd know the origin of my name, although somewhat
>understandable. Quite of few Ottos marched through your country couple of
>decades ego. They didn't go 70 miles/h, more like 50 km/h..... Guess which
>country gave you back your country?

Guess who lost this debate?

Cheers,

--
    Grega Bremec
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 01:11:36 -0400

Grega Bremec wrote:

> ...and Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> used the keyboard:
>
> <snip>
>
> >... Do you not remember how the world was falling under Hitler's
> >control? Had Hitler decided not to attack Russia, and decided to
> >heed  the warnings of the upcoming D-Day, ...
>
> <snip>
>
> This thread is now officially dead.

Fuck Godwin.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
platform
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 22:10:01 -0700

ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I'd guess it was done at least in part to avoid a lawsuit from Apple.
>
> Many of Microsoft's interface decisions over the years look like they
> were made on this basis, which is part of the reason Windows gets so
> much wrong; Apple got things right, Microsoft insisted on stealing
> things, but had to settle for a less-than-optimal solution to avoid
> harassment by Apple lawyers.

That could have been another issue but the primary one was a tech. problem.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
platform
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 22:08:15 -0700

Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Which
> > you
> > >
> > > I never did see your "reason" for MDI.  I'm interested...
> > >

> > I was just waiting to see if anyone in this thread has any memory of the
> > real reasons, so far all I have seen is two corny and childish replies.
> > was hoping for a serious reply, but perhaps that is too much to hope
for,
> > you are right I will not write and then post it.
>
> You won't post it?  I'm confused but still interested.

Sorry, typo again, I meant to say, I will noW write and then post it.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Vs: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 01:27:05 -0400

Said Ville Niemi in alt.destroy.microsoft;
>Wow, that's philosophy man! I mean literally, originally the ideal method of
>learning was free, intelligent discussion, a dialogue by two people with
>open minds, on subjects neither understood perfectly. A mutual exposure of
>ignorance, actually creating NEW understanding for both participants. It is
>our modern time with its blind belief in authority that claims that learning
>comes from above, from the holy, infallible experts to the ignorant masses.
>Actually this authoritarian method is just as inefficient in learning as it
>is in everything not involving extreme stress or coercion. You are, I think
>quite correct in defending you're right to participate discussions despite
>your ignorance. In fact, if you already understood the subjects it would be
>pointless for you to discuss them, since you wouldn't gain anything from it.
>And neither would the other participants, answers from above, from someone
>who knows all the answers DON'T add understanding, just data. A good
>discussion is people sharing their ignorance and pushing its limits back. So
>you shouldn't be a least bit ashamed about expressing uninformed opinions.
>I'm not, as you propably noticed...

I like what you said.  Thanks.  Its *unreasoned* opinions, not
uninformed opinions, that cause a breakdown in discussion.

  -- Such is my recollection of my reconstruction
   of events at the time, as I recall.  Consider it.
       Research assistance gladly accepted.  --

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 01:22:03 -0400

Grega Bremec wrote:

> ...and Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> used the keyboard:
>
> <snip>

> >>I'm affraid you're talking to a brick wall
> >>
> >>BTW, i'm not a brit neighter :)
> >>
> >>Amon_Re
>
> While speaking of it, neither am I. I am European though, I live in a
> former communist country (nine years since, which you'll all admit is
> not a long period for a country to grow up), and I _DO_ _HAVE_ a fast
> cable connection, where transfer speeds rarely fall under 30Kbps on
> trans-continental links, not to mention local ones (150+).
>
> So, there, Chad.
>
> >Well, actually, I killfiled him already.  That's why it
> >was attached to your post (which quoted him).  But I had
> >to say something.
>
> Your instinct had proven to be correct. Chad killed this thread a few
> articles above by starting a debate on how the US proved their
> superiority over Europeans in WW2 by kicking you-know-whos ass.
>
> This thread can hence be officially considered dead according to the
> Godwin's Law and Chad is, ironically, the official winner.

Fuck Godwin, you idiot.

> Only, not. :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
>     Grega Bremec
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     http://www.gbsoft.org/

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 01:22:29 -0400

Grega Bremec wrote:

> ...and Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> used the keyboard:
>
> <snip>

> >>I'm affraid you're talking to a brick wall
> >>
> >>BTW, i'm not a brit neighter :)
> >>
> >>Amon_Re
>
> While speaking of it, neither am I. I am European though, I live in a
> former communist country (nine years since, which you'll all admit is
> not a long period for a country to grow up), and I _DO_ _HAVE_ a fast
> cable connection, where transfer speeds rarely fall under 30Kbps on
> trans-continental links, not to mention local ones (150+).
>
> So, there, Chad.
>
> >Well, actually, I killfiled him already.  That's why it
> >was attached to your post (which quoted him).  But I had
> >to say something.
>
> Your instinct had proven to be correct. Chad killed this thread a few
> articles above by starting a debate on how the US proved their
> superiority over Europeans in WW2 by kicking you-know-whos ass.
>
> This thread can hence be officially considered dead according to the
> Godwin's Law and Chad is, ironically, the official winner.

Godwin is the refuge of the teeny-brained folk.

> Only, not. :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
>     Grega Bremec
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     http://www.gbsoft.org/

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grega Bremec)
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 05:29:41 GMT

...and Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> used the keyboard:

<snip>

>I believe this is a corallary

Nope, this is the Godwin's law.

>The thread had evolved to the point where USA's usefulness in the world.

"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

>A reasonable and topic-worthy reply would most certainly include
>the USA's influence in helping to defeat the Nazis.
>
>Godwin's law applies, IMHO, when a topic which has nothing to do
>about world affairs (such as Computers) degenerates into people calling
>each other Nazis.

See above.

>What does it take for YOU, Mr.Bremec to understand the same post?
>10 times? 20?

How many times must _I_ repeat to _YOU_, that I'm not at all affected
by the thrash you write, because while I do live in Europe, I also
have decent transfer rates from/to the United Kingdom. Point lost.

I could have included a transcript of a download of some random ammount
of data from some UK mirror, but you can always accuse me of forging
the results. So there, I won't.

I get the point, because I do live in circumstances you seem to have
no idea of. No need to repeat bollocks to me.

--
    Grega Bremec
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Government's Decision to Use Microsoft
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 01:24:13 -0400

Tim Smith wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Sep 2000 21:02:14 -0500, TechnoJoe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >(http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2000/0807/news-navy-08-07-00.asp).  Two
> >years earlier, a divide by zero error on a Microsoft Windows NT machine left
> >the USS Yorktown dead in the water for over two hours
>
> Since the *EXACT* same thing would have happened if they had been using
> Linux, what's your point?  (Hint: Linux and Windows NT behave exactly the
> same way when an application divides by zero: they terminate the
> application.  If that application is critical to the functioning of your
> ship, your ship is screwed).

Wrong. In Linux, you can write a signal handler for any signal (other
than 9--SIGKILL), ***INCLUDING*** mathematic exceptions (which is what
is produced by a div_by_0 error.

> --Tim Smith

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.          Ballard
     says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 01:34:20 -0400

Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:
>
>[snip a lot, this was getting way too long]
>
>> > I either missed it, or didn't understand it. Could you indulge me
>> > by explaining it a bit?
>>
>> Certainly, I will; however, first could you answer these questions?
>
>Yes, but I'm getting tired of being questioned constantly by you.
>I'm sure you can answer SOME questions by yourself. Nothing
>personal, but really, this sort of police interrogation is
>not worth the effort.

To be honest, 'mj', I agree with Roberto.  You're beating a dead horse.
I appreciate Roberto's attempts at candor in his replies so far, but it
looks like you're just trying to use the third degree.

Thanks for your time.  Hope it helps.