From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.ms.windows.advocacy,comp.ms.windows-nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Never tell me again that Windows is easy to install!!!  It's a lie!
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 01:00:01 -0700

Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8q762i$e68$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8q5hd3$pha$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8q5cnh$491$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > MS has precisely fuck all to do with whether your video card is
> supported.
> > > Your hardware manufacturer decides whether to write the driver, not
MS.
> > MS
> > > may bundle the driver, but they certainly don't write them...
> >
> > Who writes the VGA 640x480 16 color driver?
>
> If your card isn't supported by the VGA 640x480 driver, then go to your
OEM.
> I fail to see how this is a Microsoft problem.  If you OEM chooses not to
> write a driver to support Win9x/ME then there's really very little MS can
do
> about it.  Feel free to write your own though

Do you realize that you missed the whole point of my question?

You stated that Microsoft has nothing to do with video drivers and is not
responsible for writing them.  I asked "Who writes the VGA 640x480 16 color
driver"?  The answer of course is Microsoft, which refutes your claim that
they do not write them.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Id Software developer prefers OS X to Linux, NT
Date: 19 Sep 2000 19:27:25 +1100

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:00:57 -0500, Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"J.C." wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:44:12 -0500, James Stutts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >"C Lund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> ><snip>

>> >That must explain why so many window managers attempt to replicate it.
>>
>> Suppose it must be the familiarity thing (fvwm95 for example.)
>
>But why?  So many anti-Microsoft folks are quick to tell you how
>abhorrent the Windows interface is.  Familiar or not it should not be
>replicated if they feel it that bad.

Windows users who use linux and like the Windows interface == fvwm95 install

Windows users who use linux and _don't_ like the Windows interface == _no_
fvwm install

Could it be any clearer?

--
J.C.
"The free flow of information along data highways being piped into our

                             -- 'The Thunder of Justice', pg. 264

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451800
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 08:30:39 GMT

Marty writes:

> Dave "Fozzy" Tholen wrote:

Where did that come from, Marty?

>> Marty writes:

>>> Dave "Fozzy" Tholen wrote:

>> Where did that come from, Marty?

> The previous attribution in this thread.

You didn't explain where that previous attribution came from, Marty.

>>> The previous attribution in this thread.

>> You didn't explain where that previous attribution came from, Marty.

> I explained that it came from the attribution previous to it.

You didn't explain where the attribution previous to it came from, Marty.

>>> I explained that it came from the attribution previous to it.

>> You didn't explain where the attribution previous to it came from, Marty.

> I pointed to your lack of culture.

How can you point to a nonexistent lack, Marty?

> Was that not explanation enough?

You're erroneously assuming that there is a lack of culture on my part
that you can point to, Marty.  How many musicals have you performed in?

>>> You didn't ask the first time it was used.

>> Incorrect; see ninety eight lines (including blank lines) below, Marty.

> Why bother, when we can unroll it back to the original articles:

Why bother with deja.com when you could have looked ninety eight lines
down, Marty?  (Now you'll need to come up with a new line count, because
the new text has affected the spacing.)

> Note my first usage of "Fozzy".

It was "ninety eight" lines down, Marty.  Note my response.

> Note how you had not questioned its origin in your reply.

Note my response "ninety eight" lines down, Marty.

>>> On what basis do you make this claim?

>> On the basis that I wrote my question, Marty,

> Incorrect.  You made a statement.  You had not posed a question.

Incorrect, Marty; see "ninety eight" lines down.

>> thus it was unnecessary for you to read my mind.

> How can I answer a question that you haven't asked without reading your
> mind?

You're erroneously presupposing that I hadn't asked the question,
Marty.

>>> Pointing out your pontification is not pontification, Dave.

>> Without substantiating evidence for a pontification, your "pointing
>> out" is indeed a pontification, Marty.

> The evidence of your pontification is what I replied to, Dave.

On what basis do you make that claim, Marty?

>>> Then how do you expect me to interpret your made-up words?

>> What alleged "made-up" words, Marty?

> "whee", Dave.

What's allegedly made-up about that, Marty?  It's listed at
www.dictionary.com.

>>> DT] You didn't explain whee that one came from, Marty.

>> Where is the alleged ambiguity, Marty?

> "whee", Dave.

What is allegedly ambiguous about that, Marty?

>>> Witness your evasiveness.

>> What alleged evasiveness, Marty?

> Witness the fact that you have not clarified what you meant by "whee".

Witness the fact that you have not clarified what you meant by
"clarified", Marty.  Why does it need clarification?

>>> On the contrary.

>> On what do you base your contrariness, Marty?

> On the basis of the incorrect nature of your statement.

Typical pontification.

>>> Where is the alleged irony?

>> Where you've pontificated, Marty.

> And where would that be?

In your statements preceding where I've commented about your
pontification, Marty.

> How ironic that you speak of pontification.

What's allegedly ironic about it, Marty?

>>> How can I answer a question containing a made-up word?

>> What alleged "made-up" word, Marty?

> "tyopical", Dave.

I see that you didn't answer my question.  No surprise there.

>> And why are you now using the singular, but above you used the plural:

> Because there was only one left after pointing out the other.

Where did you allegedly do that, Marty?

>>> The one above, Dave.

>> Where above, allegedly, Marty?

> On a line previous to the one on which I first mentioned "above".

How many lines previous, Marty?

>>> Because it would be something that I would like.

>> Why?

> Because I would enjoy that.

Why?

>>> Where is the irony?

>> Where you've pontificated, Marty.

> How ironic.

On what basis do you make that claim, Marty?

>>> I see that you are still having trouble sticking to this thread for your
>>> argument.  No surprise there.

>>> Classic pontification.

>> How ironic.

> Where is the irony, Dave?

Where you've pontificated, Marty.

>>> Even more pontification.

>> How ironic.

> Where is the irony, Dave?

Where you've pontificated, Marty.

>>> Prove that I'm not glad, if you think you can.

>> Unnecessary, given that you have done such a thing, Marty.

> Classic pontification.

Incorrect, given that I pointed out the instance of illogical circular
reasoning when you used it, Marty.

> Prove that I have "done such a thing" as "not be glad".

Non sequitur.

------------------------------

From: "Ingemar Lundin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix more secure, huh?
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 08:39:42 GMT

hey Aaron...with friends like you *nix systems doesnt need any enemies!

/IL

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jake Taense)
Subject: Re: The Linux Experience
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 08:43:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
wrote:

>        ONCE AGAIN RUBE, why did you bother with tarballs when the
>        distro in question was Redhat?
>
>[deletia]

Little words so that you may understand:

I did not bother with tarball.

Got it?

Good.

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.ms.windows.advocacy,comp.ms.windows-nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:46:42 +0100

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8q76oc$juo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8q762i$e68$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8q5hd3$pha$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:8q5cnh$491$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > supported.
> MS.
> > > MS
> > >
> > > Who writes the VGA 640x480 16 color driver?
> >
> > If your card isn't supported by the VGA 640x480 driver, then go to your
> OEM.
> > I fail to see how this is a Microsoft problem.  If you OEM chooses not
> > write a driver to support Win9x/ME then there's really very little MS
can
> do
> > about it.  Feel free to write your own though
>
> Do you realize that you missed the whole point of my question?

Do you realise you missed the point of my original statement?  Whether or
not MS supplies (very) generic drivers for various resolutions, the choice
as to whether your hardware is supported under Windows lies with your OEM,
not Microsoft.

> You stated that Microsoft has nothing to do with video drivers and is not
> responsible for writing them.  I asked "Who writes the VGA 640x480 16
color
> driver"?  The answer of course is Microsoft, which refutes your claim that
> they do not write them.

OK, so they supply a generic 640x480 driver (Windows setup has to use
something to drive the display), and probably a generic 800x600 and a
1024x768 driver as well, but the choice as to whether your hardware is
supported by Windows is entirely driven by your OEM.  You may have refuted
my claim that they do not write them, but have not refuted my claim that MS
has nothing to do with whether your card is supported or not.  Speak to your
OEM if the generic drivers don't work.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ohlsson)
Subject: Re: GPL & freedom
Date: 19 Sep 2000 11:00:03 +0100

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>"D'Arcy Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:YbBx5.2357
>>Freedom to always have access to the source of any work based
>>on original GPL code.  Where is the hypocricy?  It only becomes
>>hypocricy if you attribute a different meaning to the word "free"...
>>a menaing other than what the GPL specifies.
>
>That would be as silly as saying "You're free to listen to my speech, so
>long as you never charge anyone else for ever listening to your speeches
>ever again in your life".

No. To take that parallel back to programming it would be like if you
have ever based a program on a GPL'd program you can never ever make
a non-GPL program again. That is wrong.

A more correct parallel would be: "You're free to listen to my speech, so
long as you never charge anyone else _for the text_ of a speech you make
_that is based on mine_." You can sell tickets if you like.

That said, I'm more for LGPL.

/Stefan
--
[ Stefan Ohlsson ] · http://www.mds.mdh.se/~dal95son/ · [ ICQ# 17519554 ]

My software never has bugs.  It just develops random faults.

------------------------------

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Global warming.  (was Public v. Private Schools)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 02:53:34 -0600

Bob Germer wrote:

> On 09/18/2000 at 08:13 AM,
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Bowen) said:
>
> > Do the math.  The numbers are not actual numbers just a guide for those
> > that had trouble with algebra 1 in middle school.  You are like Bob, you
> > just can't follow along.
>
> Post REAL numbers which can be VERIFIED independently. Otherwise your post
> is just more crap from a real stupid fool.

You know Bob, I was proving a point about about total output, and how
North America having a deficit doesn't mean the rest of the world has a
deficit.  You are obviously too incompetent to understand.  I'll tell ya
what, if you can find a carbon cycle diagram that says otherwise you are
free to post a link to it but I know you won't be able to.  Sucks to be
you.

------------------------------

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 02:54:42 -0600

Bob Germer wrote:

> On 09/18/2000 at 01:07 AM,
>    Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > I didn't say this decade and you can't read.  I said in a decade, you
> > know 10 years.
>
> You sure as hell did say "in the last decade".

Provide proof for this typo then.  That should be easy enough even for
somebody of your limited capacity.

------------------------------

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 02:55:14 -0600

Bob Germer wrote:

> On 09/18/2000 at 08:14 AM,
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Bowen) said:
>
> > >Bullshit.  They spike after every volcanic eruption, and then drop
> > >sharply according to exponential decay.
>
> > What spikes and drops?
>
> Go ask the professor of Geology 101.

It was Aaron's claim, let him take care of it.

------------------------------

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 02:57:05 -0600

Bob Germer wrote:

> On 09/18/2000 at 08:07 AM,
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Bowen) said:
>
> > Obviously you can't respond with anything so you try to demean me.  It
> > doesn't work as the words of an obvious asshole don't mean shit.  If you
> > can reply to each point go right ahead.
>
> Aaron and I cannot demean you. Your own worthless lies, weasel attempts to
> deny what you wrote, etc. have already demeaned you. You have ZERO
> credibility.

I've provided sources for some of my claims, what have you done?

------------------------------

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 02:56:37 -0600

Bob Germer wrote:

> On 09/18/2000 at 02:41 AM,
>    Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > > now...little freshman loser...SIT DOWN AND SHUT THE FUCK UP.
>
> > I'm talking about what I see, haven't talked about solutions to
> > anything.  Nice projection you fucking republicrat.  Go eat a gun.
> > Proclaiming yourself to be intellectual doesn't suit you well.
>
> I received an e-mail asking if I had the last 100 of Bowen's messages. I
> didn't, unfortunately but steered the person to deja.com. I am willing to
> wager that Colorado U. will be getting a complaint. This person is in
> another state and previously unknown to me.

For what?  Speaking openly in a public forum?  You know that abuse would
tell them to get lost and with your insipid talk they should go after
you.  Tim Martin of all people got pics to reprimand you for abuse of
their policies.

------------------------------

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 02:58:07 -0600

Bob Germer wrote:

> On 09/18/2000 at 08:16 AM,
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Bowen) said:
>
> > You don't understand what is being discussed.  North America as a continent
>>produces less CO2
> > than the plant life on it consumes.  The rest of the world produces
> > way more than is consumed.
> > It is called the addtive property of numbers and perhaps and
> > elementary algebra class will help
> > you understand.
>
> To which Aaron K. replied:
>
> > >Then maybe you ought to convince those OTHER countries to reform THEIR
> > >ways, and keep your fucking opinions to yourself in this country.
> > >
> > >MORON
>
> To which Bowen reposted since he had no valid fact to support himself:
>
> > There is something called a global economy bitch and you're part of it.
> > Christ you are fucking dumb.
>
> Back to the basics. According to your previous posts, asshole, you claim
> that the world levels of CO2 are rising. Yet facts readily available show
> the following:
>
> The United States and Canada consume more than 70% of the fossil fuel
> burned worldwide annually.
>
> There is a CO2 deficit in North America.
>
> Tell us, oh Carnac one, just how is the rest of the world producing so
> much more CO2 than we in America do?

If you can prove their is a carbon cycle deficit go right ahead, I await
with bated breath :-).