Linux-Advocacy Digest #201, Volume #33           Fri, 30 Mar 01 20:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: Arrrrgh!  Hoist the Jolly Roger! ("JS PL")
  Re: Linux needs a standard, user proof distro ("John Verne")
  Re: The Linux office, a possible future..... (OT?) (Fred K Ollinger)
  Re: Unix/Linux Professionalism (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Indrema Article in CCN (William Kendrick)
  Re: Fun With Parallel Ports. (Bloody Viking)
  Re: Java, the "Dot-Com" Language? ("Stephen S. Edwards II")
  Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, was Why open source software is   better (Fred K
Ollinger)
  Re: Kulkis not Chad, Gates (was Re Unix/Linux Professionalism) (The Ghost In The
Machine)
  Re: Fun With Parallel Ports. (Bloody Viking)
  Re: Linux needs a standard, user proof distro (Matthias Warkus)
  ??? OSS in Financial Services Sector (Luke Skywalker)
  Re: I regretfully conclude that Linux is a piece of CRAP. (Fred K Ollinger)
  Re: Stress Co-operation, not Hateful Competition (Donn Miller)
  Re: Communism (Barry Manilow)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) (Barry Manilow)
  Re: Communism (Barry Manilow)
  Re: Communism (Barry Manilow)
  Re: Windows, Linux and evolutionary models (Fred K Ollinger)

From: "JS PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Arrrrgh!  Hoist the Jolly Roger!
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:22:17 -0500

"Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> The only new concept Microsoft have
> introduced is the acceptability of unfinished and buggy code!

That's strange. According to the United States Patent Office, Microsoft has
introduced MANY more concepts than your one example.

http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetaht
ml%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=0&p=1&f=S&l=50&Query=microsoft&d=pall

And a search for Microsoft at http://www.delphion.com/ turned up about 3500
results. That's about one new patent every three days since 1975. If I had
no life like the MS bashing regulars here, I might even peruse some of
Microsoft's innovative concepts in more depth. But why would I? Their
immense success with consumers and developers the least 26 years is proof
enough that they provide excellent products at competitive prices. The fact
that linux is struggling to maintain a 3 to 1000 computer ratio is proof
enough that nobody want's anything to do with it on the desktop.

------------------------------

From: "John Verne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux needs a standard, user proof distro
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:20:55 -0500

...like a fish needs a bicycle...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Subject: Re: The Linux office, a possible future..... (OT?)
Date: 30 Mar 2001 23:42:31 GMT

Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Taavi Hein wrote:
: > : >Internet/Java/C/C++?
: > : >> All strong Unix catageories.
: > : >And as strong on Windows.
: > : Sure they are. Have you ever even heard of Java?
: >
: > I haven't followed the conversation, but this part aroused some
: > suspicion in me... What's wrong with the windoze side of
: > internet/java/c(++)? (especially the java bit)
: >
: MS no longer can use java, they have lost in court against Sun.
: The reason for that legal battle was that MS put some of their own stuff
: into the java-base where it did not belong, making the MS-java
: incompatibel with the rest of the world.
: Any programmer using that would lock the "java"-app to windows.
: So MS is now dong "c#", which is a mix of java and c++.
: And again, any programmer using that will lock himself to
: windows, only this time even more, because there is no c# for
: anything else, as at least was with java and C++.

How long do you think it will take to get a linux port of c#, probably a year,
though I will definately participate in this mess.  It might come in handy
to have, though, so thanks to all those developers in advance.

Fred

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Unix/Linux Professionalism
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:47:09 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:47:24 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Chad Everett wrote:

[snip]

>> I love Microsoft.  It is really neat and since it came installed
>> on the computer I bought at CompUSA, the installation was really
>> easy.  During
>
>Translation: If Mafia$oft wasn't pre-installed, he wouldn't have
>a preference.
>

>Thank you for that VERY telling admission.

That's easily fixed. :-)  The simplest method is to point Chad
at a website that sells preinstalled Linux computers.

[.sigsnip]

                    This space for rent.

------------------------------

From: William Kendrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Indrema Article in CCN
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:48:22 GMT

The latest issue (April 2001) of California Computer News (CCN) magazine
a 2 page special feature on the Indrema game console.

For those who haven't noticed it, the Indrema is a DV/Linux-based
game console designed around an x86 architecture.  Along with playing
games, the unit sports DVD and MP3 support, "TiVo"-like features,
web and e-mail access, and a support structure for open source game
development.

The article is also available online, for folks who aren't in California
or are too lazy to go grab a free copy of CCN from the grocery store ;)

  http://www.ccnmag.com/Apr01/feature.htm

Here's Indrema's official site:

  http://www.indrema.com/

-bill!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/bill/indrema/
Indrema Informer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Fun With Parallel Ports.
Date: 30 Mar 2001 23:48:24 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Just use some op-amps to isolate the parallel port from the relays.

Normally, people like to use optoisolators. Works just as good. But I want
extra protection by using the port on the card instead of the one on the
mainboard. A cheap ISA card is easier to replace than a whole computer. The
ideal would be a real old computer networked with the good one where the old
computer serves as a "light show server" or otherwise an embedded system. You
then telnet in to mess with the software.

If you want a portable system like for a bar band, use an old laptop running
Linux as the embedded system.

After the posting, I solved the problem by editing /etc/printcap to direct the
print jobs to LPT2, the onboard printer fitting. That freed up the ISA card I
installed as the light show card. I'll have to edit it again when I activate
the second fitting on the card as the printer will be on LPT3 on the system,
with LPT1 and LPT2 as light show fittings. (or process control fittings as I
please)

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: Java, the "Dot-Com" Language?
Date: 31 Mar 2001 00:02:27 GMT

2 + 2 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

8<SNIP>8

: Perhaps Dell, which has be same profit level as Sun BEFORE the downturn,
: will buy Sun for it's midline server hardware business, which it would
: promptly convert to Linux, an OS that delivers on its promises.

Linux is not an OS.  Linux is a kernel.  GNU/Linux is an OS
comprised of GNU software and the Linux kernel.

Just a pedantic detail that peeves me from time to time.  :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, was Why open source software is   better
Date: 31 Mar 2001 00:03:17 GMT

phil hunt ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:51:27 +0200, Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >> As Hassan Schroeder, Sun's first webmaster, remarked: Perl is
: >> the
: >> duct tape of the Internet."
: >>
: >> http://perl.oreilly.com/news/importance_0498.html
: >
: >What I've noticed about Perl is that it is seems extremely hard to write
: >readable code.

: I prefer Python myself.

For programming in general or just for creating unreadable code?
Personally, I feel that unreadable code can be made in any language, just
use comments liberally--they get moved around with changes and evenatully
point the wrong way. :)

Fred

: --
: *****[ Phil Hunt ***** [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]*****
: "Mommy, make the nasty penguin go away." -- Jim Allchin, MS head
: of OS development, regarding open source software (paraphrased).
:

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Kulkis not Chad, Gates (was Re Unix/Linux Professionalism)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 00:04:40 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:10:13 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>WesTralia wrote:
>>
>> Ian Pulsford wrote:
>> >

>> > PS.  My money is actually on Kulkis being a sad little git with too much
>> > time on his hands.  Read the posts on groups.google.com (especially
>> > us.military.army) and decide for yourself.  The word liar crops up way
>> > too much.
>>
>> Aaron is not hard to figure out.  It's quite simple really.  Aaron
>> is a Wintendo98 network dork who has been repeatedly bashed by the
>> UNIX guys for years.  Finally, Aaron has set out to do something about
>> this treatment and he has installed Linux on his home system.  Aaron's
>> target objective is the source of his envy: to be just like the UNIX
>> guys who have bashed him for being a Wintendo98 network dork.
>>
>> The only problem is that Aaron jumped the gun early and is still a
>> Wintendo98 network dork.
>>
>> Aaron, there is no shame in using Windows, no shame at all.
>

>You wanna discuss Unix kernal internals sometime?

Are you trying to fork() this discussion, or shmget() his goat?  :-) :-)

(I'll wait(), of course, and I'm open() to ideas.  Obviously I also
want to putenv("MYAMOUNT=TWOCENTS") in, and hope to thread_create()
a thread that's useful.  I will of course continue to read().)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- just don't kill() or dup()e the messenger who likes
                    bad puns

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: 31 Mar 2001 00:10:57 GMT

Roy Culley ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Why did you cross post this to comp.os.linux.advocacy and alt.destroy.microsoft?

It illustrates a capability of Linux not found on Windows, namely, the ability
to run a light show in the background as you use the desktop without having to
code a TSR. Funny how you can run a light show (or other process control) in
the background on a Commodore 64 but not a PC as the IRQ is documented with
the Commodore as well as the memory location a break can be made to insert a
TSR-like routine.

With the PC, inserting a routine into the OS is impossible and coding of TSRs
is not documented at all. With the Commodore 64, you could insert a machine
code routine by poking it into otherwise unused memory then turn it on with a
suitable poke. With Linux, one can make a daemon readily enough and the docs
CAN be found, though I can't guarentee ease of finding.

Fun question: How many people ever coded a machine code routine in DECIMAL
instead of Assembler or even hex? In the programmer's reference book for the
old Commodore 64, I converted all the opcodes listed into decimal and written
them in the book so I could code machine routines.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:31:12 +0000

It was the Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:22:41 -0800...
...and Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[schnibble]

Not again, please.

mawa
--
Schienbeinschonerbenutzer!
Spurwechselblinker!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Luke Skywalker)
Crossposted-To: alt.unix.wizards
Subject: ??? OSS in Financial Services Sector
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 00:25:17 GMT

Hi, all.

I've got a couple of friends with a strong open-source software (OSS) bent
and an interest in the Financial Services sector. They're curious: which
international financial services (banking, insurance, cards etc.)
institutions have an OSS-friendly culture, or at least an IT culture that
is non-hostile to OSS?

I've read that the World Bank is very OSS friendly, and I've seen Deutsche
Bank's name come up in conjunction with OSS implementations. Beyond that,
I don't know. I'm kind of interested in the answer, too, because this
sector is often a bellweather.

I'm hoping y'all can help.

Does anyone:
-- Know of an international financial services player that has done good
stuff with OSS?
-- Know someone who works in this sector and believes the IT culture at
their employer to be tolerant of OSS or even OSS-positive?
-- Remember seeing magazine articles etc. about a player in this sector in
conjunction with OSS?

Citi strikes me as a possibility, given the focus they put on web-based
services as part of their expansion plans and leanings toward the
Sun-Oracle open cumputing model. Anyone able to confirm or deny? At the
other end of the spectrum, the impression I get is that insurance
companies are ahead of the pack if they don't depend on mainframes for
everything... any exceptions that you know of? And what about folks like
VISA and/or American Express? What are their IT cultures like vis-a-vis
open source?

That sort of thing.

This address is just a spamtrap, but those who would rather reply directly
for reasons of confidentiality can email kat - at - pathcom - dot - com,
or use the "email me" navigation link at http://joe.katzman.com/

This should be a fascinating discussion, and strikes me as one of the
important  next steps as OSS picks up steam in the enterprise. Having the
community identify leaders and froiendly places to work can catalyze
progress for all OSS stakeholders in useful ways.

--
"I made a big mistake. I thought I had to save the galaxy
all by myself. But the way of the Jedi is not a solitary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Subject: Re: I regretfully conclude that Linux is a piece of CRAP.
Date: 31 Mar 2001 00:26:32 GMT

Did you ever think of buying a new hard drive?  They are so cheap these days.

You could pull out win hard drive, and insert new hard drive and install
linux with no fear of unwanted devastation to the windows install.

later, reset jumpers, setup linux hd as slave and reboot w/ linux bootg
disk, edit lilo.conf, and type lilo, then reboot again.

Or you could just buy a computer with linux on it which may make you mad,
but most people don't ever install win so they think it's easier.  Well,
I did both and I say that linux (mandrake) is a bit easier, but maybe that's
b/c I don't see the point in rebooting so much.  To set up both win and lin is
considerably harder than to set up one.  Windows does better hardware recognition,
but for me, it does so even when I don't want to.  If you have strange hardware
configurations, like I do, linux is 'easier to use' b/c it doens't try to set
stuff up automagically if I don't want them to.

Your main trouble with linux is going to be the win mindset.  It's not a bad
thing, but it is tough for someone who's used to windows to use linux, much
easier for someone who knows nothing about computers to use linux.  You don't
know much about computers as a windows user, clicking OK, and moving icons
around is not compter skills.  Thinking in terms of letter for partitions
is not good either.  For most purposes, the MS way works great, but once you
have many patitions and devices, it breaks b/c you don't know which is which--
how to tell a parition from a diff HD?  Most people say I dont' care which is
great most of the time, but if you are mucking around with these things, you
will eventually care and I don't want to see someone mess something up.

Good luck with linux, you seem to be determined as ever, but willing to give
us the criticism that we need.  One suggestion, if you are going to be a really
prolific writer like our good friend Pete, please write some docs.  We need
help.  People are trying hard to help you, many of them are well-paid experts.
The least you can do is write a doc or two.  Or maybe you don't get it and
are wasting the communities time, thinking that linux is a low-cost windows.
It's not.  It's a different ball game.  Windows people come here often expecting
things to be done for them (like children) and they won't contribute anything
back--like leeches.  Since this is the case so often, I'm glad that lazy peopel
if all linux corps fail.  I can maintain the sw that I use, and I will help
community just as they have helped me.

Also, thank-you all of you who have helped me in the past.  I'm starting some
linux projects that will kick ass. (I hope) :)

Fred

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:29:22 -0500
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Stress Co-operation, not Hateful Competition

"Adrian Pepper [MFCF]" wrote:

> Viewing things as a consumer, no product is "the best".  It is
> essential to me as a consumer that the diversity remains in all
> things.

Good point, which is why I used to dual-boot between FreeBSD and RedHat
Linux.  I like having diverse OSes on my machine.  Regrettably, and I
hated to do this, I had to take Linux off and install Win ME in its
place.  This world is still too dominated by MS software NOT to have
Windows installed.

When I was MS-free, I had Wine installed as a Windows replacement.  But,
Wine can only get you so far.  I had to install Windows as a "necessary
evil" for those times that you depend on certain Windows apps.  Wine
worked to an extent, but it was a horrid as a complete replacement for
Windows.  If Wine were 100% compatible with Windows and its apps, I
would still be dual-booting with Red Hat.

From: Barry Manilow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:41:15 -0800

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
 >
> > However true-believers like this "Barry Manilow" character....engage
> > in enough anti-constitutional subversive activity to make it legitimate.
> >
> > The hard part is getting the evidence on WHO is doing WHAT exactly.

Hey Aaron come and get me.  Report me to the FBI, pleaaaaaaaaaaase.  I
loooooooooove G-men!  Here is what I look like.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/calvinthedog?d&.flabel=fld4&.src=ph

APB!
--
Bob
Being flamed?  Don't know why?  Take the Flame Questionnaire(TM)

------------------------------

From: Barry Manilow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:44:34 -0800

"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

> Hence, there are a LOT of traitors in our midst.  And given the threat
> that they pose to the life, liberty and property of all people (both
> inside the U.S. and elsewhere), I think it is not only reasonable, but
> necessary, that the worst of them be dealt with as the law requires.
>
> Aaron is not advocating that we round up everyone - just those who are
> the most blatantly and obviously guilty.  And, so long as these folks
> get an *exceedingly* fair trial, and as long as their sentences are
> somewhat commensurate with their crimes, I am in total agreement with
> him.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/calvinthedog?d&.flabel=fld4&.src=ph

Here I am guy.  Please send me photos to the FBI, ok?  I would just
love to be on a most-wanted list!  And I haven't been on trial in 21
years!  I miss the courtroom, honest!

From: Barry Manilow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:56:26 -0800

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Barry Manilow wrote:
>> >
> > I think it's pretty funny how, the first time the Sandanistas held
> > an election, they got tossed out on their asses.

Actually, they won in 1984.  In 1988, after massive US interference in
the election process, and endless US inspired civil war that killed
30,000, and an economy ruined by US embargo and blockade, the people
voted to end all of this by getting rid of the Sandinistas, who ruled
a democratic government.

> > > but it often gets directed in the wrong way.  I gave money to the FMLN
> > > in El Salvador (remember them?).  Does that make me a supporter of
> >
> > Translation: You're an active treason-commiting communist.

Yes.

> > Yes, I remember those assholes.  As I recall, they went around shooting
> > nuns and priests for not converting to the Daniel Ortega personality cult.

Not true.  They never killed one priest or nun ever.  That was the
US-funded government that was doing that.  Most of the priests and
nuns supported the FMLN anyway.  :)

> > > terrorism.  I supported most of the national liberation movements in
> > > Latin America like the Sandinistas, the FMLN, the URNG in Guatemala,
> > > and the MRTA in Peru, and the Chilean group that tried to assassinate
> > > Pinochet.  Most of these groups were trained in Cuba, by the way.  :)
> > > Also the Phillipine revolutionaries.  Not the Shining Path tho.  And I
> > > am not real wild about the Colombian guerillas.  I do, however,
> > > support the Mexican revolutionaries, including the EZLN.
> >
> > In other words, you're just one sick, sadistic bastard, who thrives
> > on death, chaos, and sorrow.
> >
> > When you die....nobody will care.
> >
> > Hope that helps.

What about the 3 beautiful women I am dating right now, Aaron?  You
don't think they will miss me?  Hey, Aaron, look at all you are
missing out on by not being a pinko.  Look at all the chicks we reds
get man!  Women adore revolutionaries!  Hey, not bad for a 43 year old
guy who doesn't even work, huh?  ;)  Communism:  the road to Babe
City!

From: Barry Manilow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:57:19 -0800

Douglas Berry wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:13:41 -0800, a wanderer, known to us only as
> Barry Manilow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  warmed at our fire and told
> this tale:
>
> >I suppose you are right.  I always loved the Sandinista national
> >anthem, "America, Enemy of Mankind".  The US has a lot of potential
> >but it often gets directed in the wrong way.  I gave money to the FMLN
> >in El Salvador (remember them?).
>
> Remember them?  Hell, I killed a bunch of 'em!  I hope that money
> wasn't paying for military training, because if that was the case, you
> got ripped off.

Ahhhh, too bad they didn't get u too, my friend.  :(

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Subject: Re: Windows, Linux and evolutionary models
Date: 31 Mar 2001 01:07:58 GMT