From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 08:23:08 -0400

Mike Byrns wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > chrisv wrote:

> > > Exactly.  "Saving up" to pay cash for a house is actually STUPID.  You
> > > are MUCH better off to borrow the money, live in the house, get the
> > > tax breaks, and watch inflation reduce the value of you debt while
> > > increasing the value of the house.
> >
> > Since Greenspan took the helm of the fed, there's been almost zero
> > depreciation of the US dollar.
> >
> > Is there inflation?  Yes...but 2% inflation with 2% growth of the
> > economy means ZERO loss of purchasing power
> >
> > (inflation is in reference to the money supply, NOT prices).
>
> For once I agree with you.  I still hate your sig though :-)

If you would agree with me more often, you would be correct more often.

Hope that helps.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 08:24:09 -0400

Mike Byrns wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Mike Byrns wrote:

> > > While every greasy advertiser uses every trick in the book to separate
> > > you from that hard earned cash?
> >
> > Just say "no"
>
> OK.  I forbid advertisers from bothering my with their messages.  Hmm.

Do you want some drugs?

No

Do you want this ridiculously expensive, useless item for your kitchen?

No

Do you want this idiotically overpriced car?

No.

See how simple it is.

> Didn't work.  Do you remember how we tried to wear down Noriega?
> Constant sensory attack?  The same thing is done to our citizens and
> you're right -- we should just say "no".  All advertising should be opt
> in like good internet advertising.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Robert Young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux in government
Date: 30 Sep 2000 13:33:42 GMT

Wow - that's a really awsome set of policies!!

Bob Young :^)
ICQ # 91239971
My page: http://www3.sympatico.ca/john.young4/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 11:04:41 GMT

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000 19:09:45 +1000, Chris Sherlock
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Are you trying to say that you need to do business in an immoral way to
>succeed?

Now you've done it.  They'll get started for sure now.  Time to crank
up the kill file.

Some of the more rabid Libertoonians here don't appear to think that
there is any such thing as "immoral business practices" as long as
there is no threat of physical violence.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 11:04:42 GMT

On 29 Sep 2000 22:30:11 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Thu, 28 Sep 2000 21:04:52 GMT, Bob Hauck wrote:

>>30% or so.  Further, the house and land gains value, usually at a rate
>>that's comparable to the interest.  So a mortage is a decent deal for
>
>That's not really clear. It could go either way.

Maybe I've just been lucky.  You're right, it could go either way.  I
think more people make gains on their house than make losses though.

>An investment in a house, like any other investment is certainly not
>risk free.

No, but unlike other investments, you get use value out of the house
while you live in it.  That needs to be considered in the win-lose
equation.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "James A. Robertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 13:50:19 GMT

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> >No one can predict what the Appeals Court will do.  Once you go to court
> >in this country, all bets are off.  Nothing would surprise me.
>
> Only because your entire understanding of jurisprudence is based on
> 'popular wisdom', and the only capability which such an
> over-simplification has of representing court decisions is as an endless
> series of 'special cases' resulting in convoluted rules.  This is a
> false representation; in fact, the laws, both court and statutes, are
> quite clear.  Any anti-competitive act is a felony; if it isn't
> 'restraint of trade', it is 'monopolization'.  This is called the 'rule
> of reason', and if you'd actually read enough court cases, you'd see (if
> you can parse the rather complex and inferential text) that it is a
> consisent guiding principle.  The only reason one would be 'surprised'
> by an appellate court decision is lack of understanding of the legal
> principles involved.

laws may be clear, but people's (and judges) interpretations of them
differ.  If they didn't, courts wouldn't need to adjudicate

--
James A. Robertson
Technical Product Manager (Smalltalk), Cincom

From: "James A. Robertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 13:51:19 GMT

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Mike Byrns in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >[...]The anti-trust case came about for the reasons that
> >Jackson's conviction did -- Microsoft refused to play ball with the bureaucrats
> >and pay their lunch ticket like McNealy, Ellison and Case did.
>
> Please be specific.  What "lunch ticket" have these men, or the
> corporations they represent, paid; when, and how much?

Campaign contributions

From: "James A. Robertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 13:55:49 GMT

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said James A. Robertson in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>    [...]
> >Whatever - as marketing, it worked.  Whether it's better doesn't really
> >matter.
>
> You conveniently ignore the fact that being a 'superior product' is
> allowable, and 'willful acquisition or maintenance of monopoly power' is
> a crime.

Then in your world, business is a crime.  All business plans are geared
toward market cornering.  Some work better than others.

Do you honestly trust the DOJ more than MS?  When was the last time that
MS sent black clad, masked soldiers to kick down a door?  When was the
last time they shot a woman holding a baby?

From: "James A. Robertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 13:56:52 GMT

"." wrote:

> >> "it's competitors sat on their laurels and didnt release a new version
> >> every 3 months whether there were improvements or not, and create a
> >> little clickety button for *everything* and instead kept things in
> >> menus where windows users (but not mac or unix) couldnt find
> >> them".
> >>

> > Whatever - as marketing, it worked.  Whether it's better doesn't really
> > matter.
>
> Ahhh...the song of the windows user.

Nope.  I use Linux.  I don't much care for Windows.  Unlike people here
though (especially Max), I actually use my option to emply other choices
instead of mindlessly bitching about MS.

From: "James A. Robertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 13:59:39 GMT

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said James A. Robertson in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> >>
> >> Said James A. Robertson in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >
> >> I'd say that depends on what you consider the 'real price', of which the
> >> 'purchase price' is merely the beginning.
> >
> >Same as everything else.  Just try and do an upgrade install from RedHat
> >6.0 to 6.2 if you have two ethernet cards installed.
>
> In a hearbeat.  You forget, I've been using both PC and Unix systems for
> almost a decade; I have no problem knowing and understanding how Linux
> deals with two ethernet cards.  But I won't bother mentioning the many
> hours NT caused me today by not being able to handle a single ethernet
> card, or a modem, for that matter, because the RAS server got screwed
> and somehow trashed the PCMCIA drivers....

Actually, the installer is broken in that specific case, and RedHat
support states that it's not a supported configuration.  I can rip out
one card, install, and then reconfigure.  As much as I dislike Windows,
it figures this simple crap out on install better.   As a result, my
Linux server is still on 6.0 - I don't have the time to go through all
the crap...

> >Ha. Those laws don't protect me.  They force high prices and crappy
> >service on me.
>
> No they don't.  You only think they do, because you're stupid.

Try reading what I wrote

> >In the OS game, I do have choices.  [...]
>
> Let me guess; but you choose to use the product that 90% of the other PC
> users just 'happen' to choose, and it 'happens' be to pre-installed on
> the PC when you buy it, and just 'happens' to make it difficult to
> replace it or migrate away from it....

Nope.  Wrong answer.  RedHar 6.0 and 6.2 (desktop and notebook).  One NT
box for demos to people who want to see Windows.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Is Linux some kind of a joke?
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 13:49:05 GMT

Why do you say that Linux look like shit? There are games for both the
console and X modes. I think your hardware belongs to the 80s in that
there is no support in Linux for them. PERIOD.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux?
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 13:46:00 GMT

Red Hat is the most popular distribution used today due to it's
invention of RPM.

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:03:52 -0400

"Chris Sherlock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Sheesh. You don't *have* to play the kill all the competition to win
> kind of game. Dell certainly haven't: they make quality computer systems
> at reasonable prices!
>
> Are you trying to say that you need to do business in an immoral way to
> succeed?
>
> Chris

No, I've never said that.

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:06:52 -0400

"James A. Robertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> >
> > Said James A. Robertson in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >    [...]
> > >Whatever - as marketing, it worked.  Whether it's better doesn't really
> > >matter.
> >
> > You conveniently ignore the fact that being a 'superior product' is
> > allowable, and 'willful acquisition or maintenance of monopoly power' is
> > a crime.
>
> Then in your world, business is a crime.  All business plans are geared
> toward market cornering.  Some work better than others.
>
> Do you honestly trust the DOJ more than MS?  When was the last time that
> MS sent black clad, masked soldiers to kick down a door?  When was the
> last time they shot a woman holding a baby?

Or a young kid in the back and bottom of his feet.