Linux-Advocacy Digest #366, Volume #33            Wed, 4 Apr 01 22:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day. ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("billh")
  Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day. ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: My take on GPLed code as free software (was: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and
lies about free software) (Jay Maynard)
  Re: XP = eXPerimental ("Paolo Ciambotti")
  Re: do penguins like fish? (Daniel Tryba)
  Re: Linux sets world record !!! (GreyCloud)
  Re: XP = eXPerimental (GreyCloud)
  Re: Something like Install Shield for Linux? (GreyCloud)
  Re: Something like Install Shield for Linux? ("Paolo Ciambotti")
  Re: Linux sets world record !!! ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Baseball (GreyCloud)
  Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised ("JS PL")
  Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: I regretfully conclude that Linux is a piece of CRAP. ("Paolo Ciambotti")
  Re: Crimosoft will get off scot-free ("Johnny Neutron")
  Re: Hailstorm: Heed the Warnings ("Paolo Ciambotti")
  Re: Baseball ("Matthew Gardiner")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 20:41:18 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> Hello? How come their (Republicans) whole campaign centred around ensuring
> Microsoft got off with a slap on the wrist?

What country was this in?

Certainly not the US....Neither party's candidates said much about Mafia$oft.

>                                             Also, what about the incredibly
> generous bribe, sorry, "Donation" to ensure that "the DOJ doesn't ruin the
> tech sector", aka, split Microsoft up.

Considering that a number of the complainants against Mafia$oft
have their headquarters in Texas...I doubt this very much.

Not only that, but Judge Jackson was appointed by Reagan...

> Matthew Gardiner
>
> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > Thats unless they pay another republican off to let Microsoft do what
> ever
> > > it pleases, just as it did last election.
> >
> > Excuse me?
> >
> > The whole Microsoft anti-trust trial was brought to you by
> > republicans, for republicans.  The judge, the states' attourney
> > generals, the senators -- take a closer look.
> >
> > --
> > It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
> > Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP block

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 20:43:18 -0400

Raoul Duke*** wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 22:54:44 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >"Gunner ©" wrote:

> >> HE"S a TEACHER?  Lord love a duck. No wonder the SAT scores are being
> >> lowered. No wonder the educational system in this country is floundering
> >> and turning out kids who cannot read, nor think, nor function.
> >>
> >> Scott would be a poster child for home schooling.
> >>

> >Home-school your kid...or else he might turn out to be like Scott Erb.
>
> Home school your kid.  He will make a great shoe shine boy in a
> Chinese suburb.

Colleges across the nation are reporting that home-schooled kids
tend to be MUCH better students than public-schooled kids.

Why is that?

> ************
>
> Raoul Duke
>
> "Will all who are sick and tired of that fist fucker Raoul Duke post a
> resounding FUCK YOU RAOUL!! Then promptly put this
> little prick in your kill file. Please.
> Jack " -- alt.military.retired
> >

> >> Gunner
> >>
> >> --
> >> "Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
> >> clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
> >> so stupid it is easy work."  Steven M. Barry

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 00:45:47 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis"

> That's why they need my assistance at this time.

I'll agree that you in the family is handicap enough.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 20:45:01 -0400

Raoul Duke*** wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Apr 2001 09:15:05 -0400, "Scott D. Erb"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >

> >> I wonder how Scott Erb would feel if he gets his wish of an all-powerful
> >> government, and along the way, he gets carted off to some gulag....
> >
> >Given that I oppose powerful government and in fact my biggest criticism of the
> >Left is that it too often ignores the danger of centralized power, your question
> >is based on a false premise.  Since I've made my aversion to powerful government
> >clear earlier in this thread, I have to assume that you are also being dishonest
> >in making the statement you make.
>
> The Republicans are trying to turn the U.S. into a benevolent
> dictatorship.  Looks like we'll be Chinese Communist.

Yeah....a dictatorship characterized by reduced government intrusion
into peoples' lives.

This must be some definition of dictatorship with which the rest of the
English-speaking world is unfamiliar.

> ************
>
> Raoul Duke
>
> "Will all who are sick and tired of that fist fucker Raoul Duke post a
> resounding FUCK YOU RAOUL!! Then promptly put this
> little prick in your kill file. Please.
> Jack " -- alt.military.retired

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jay Maynard)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: My take on GPLed code as free software (was: Richard Stallman what a
tosser, and lies about free software)
Date: 5 Apr 2001 00:46:59 GMT

On 4 Apr 2001 17:14:07 GMT, Rob S. Wolfram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Jay Maynard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In Les's example, the problem was not that he was unwilling to GPV the
>>resulting code...it was that he was *unable* to do so, because he was not
>>the author of the component with a licenst that the GPV did not get along
>>with. He did not have the option, whether or not he wished to do so.
>So the other licenses had pretty restrictive distribution conditions
>too, don't you think?

Nope. The restrictions here are imposed by copyright law, not the license.
Les wasn't the original author, so he had no say in how the code could be
redistributed *as a matter of copyright law*. The licenses themselves have
nothing to say about it.

>>I fail to understand why those who howl abot others' embrace and extend
>>tactics refuse to recognize their own.
>The difference is that the GPL "embrace & extend" guarantees *free use*
>of the software.

For suitably small values of "free".

>  I object against not being able to use software that I
>legally aquired to my own will:
>* I object against not being able to patch a bug that has been lying
>  around for 6 months.
>* I object against not being able to inspect the software for possible
>  backdoors.
>* I object against not being able to benchmark my software (that is,
>  where the law allows such restrictions).
>* I object against my software enforcing arbitrary resource limits on
>  the software that I cannot change.
>* I object against not being able to modify the software to better suite
>  my needs.

Fine. Don't buy Windows 2000.

In the meantime, just how does M$ using the known working, debugged IP stack
from BSD hurt you? Hint: If it instead had been GPVed, M$ would never have
touched it, and instead stuck with their own known buggy stack, and I (and
you, indirectly) would have to put up with the breakage.

>Those are REAL use examples that have nothing to do with {,not} being
>able to distribute modifications to the software. These are the freedoms
>that are guaranteed by the GPL while the distribution possibilities
>suffer. The BSDL is the other way around.

They're "guaranteed" by the GPV only when the code that's infected with it
is actually used. You have yet to show that M$ would have done so. I will be
extremely surprised if you can.

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XP = eXPerimental
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 18:03:35 -0700

In article <9ag2cr$6qj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"

> Next version of Windows isn't going to be called Windows XP, that was a
> typo, it's going to be called Windows PR.

PR?

Please Remit?
Payment Required?
Privacy Revoked?
Partially Reliable?

Enquiring minds want to know....

------------------------------

From: Daniel Tryba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: do penguins like fish?
Date: 5 Apr 2001 00:43:55 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> So far I've seen three products with the word "fish" in them:
> blowfish,

I would associate this one with OpenBSD (although I think their current
logo is too cute):

http://www.openbsd.org/art/blowfish.jpg

I don't think Tux could eat such a beast :)

--

Daniel Tryba

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux sets world record !!!
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 19:04:08 -0700

Joseph Ogiba wrote:

> LNUX $320.00 to $1.59 !!! From "World Record IPO" to world record loss in
> stock price (-$318.41).Can you imagine buying 10 shares for $3,200.00 and
> watch it drop to $15.90 !!!

Yes, along with everyone elses' 401k plan getting tanked.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 19:08:25 -0700

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > | thought it meant ExPert?
> >
> > Naw...It means eXtra Profit...
>
> X-ray (your) Possesions?
> eXamine (your) Passport?
> eXcoriate (your) Pudendum?
> eXit (all) Programs?
> Xerxes-like Profits?
> Xenophobic Posturing?
> eXcess Pee?
>
> --
> [ Do Not Make Illegal Copies of This Message ]

eXtra Plonks   :-))

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Something like Install Shield for Linux?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 19:11:53 -0700

Mart van de Wege wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Everett"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Here is some constructive criticism for you.  There are many parts of
> > your suggestion/request that are just plain bad ideas.  There are GUI
> > interfaces for RPM and there is room for improvement in this area, sure.
> >  But you can certainly get a lot more information out of rpm and *.rpm
> > files than you can out of ANY installshield install package.
> >
> >>there are a lot of people here who get kicks out of running down
> >>newbies,
> >
> > So telling you your idea is bad is running you down.  Sorry.
> >
> >>It takes time to learn how to use Linux and that is one thing most
> >>intelligent people have very little of!
> >>

> > So how much time have you spent rebooting your Windows machine after
> > installing a new program with InstallShield on Windows?
> >

> On a related topic, I have been thinking of writing a nice graphical
> front-end to the GNU autoconf process. This would consist of a perl
> script that parses the output of configure --help, and then presents you
> with a nice Gtk dialog box with all the options laid out. Just a few
> clicks to pick the right options for your machine, click the nice
> friendly <Compile!> button and off it goes.
> Anyone think this would be a good idea? I think it would not only be nice
> for newbies, but more experienced users as well, since you can see all
> the compile-time options at one glance.
>
> Mart
>
> --
> Write in C, write in C,
> Write in C, yeah, write in C.
> Only wimps use BASIC, Write in C.
> http://www.orca.bc.ca/spamalbum/

Hey!  Go For IT!!

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 18:23:00 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Everett"

> So how much time have you spent rebooting your Windows machine after
> installing a new program with InstallShield on Windows?

Or even worse, how much time have you spent trying to uninstall a program
that InstallShield installed?  I uninstalled one of these kludges today,
and the uninstaller put the application icon back on my desktop (I'd
deleted it earlier), refused to remove empty directories, and left a dozen
or so entries in the registry.  And then it had the gall to give me a
"successfully uninstalled" popup.  InstallShield is precisely why
companies buy Norton WinDoctor for their tech support.

RPM has its faults, but InstallShield is not something to be emulated.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:22:15 +1200

Well, I didn't go for all this dot-con type, I invested into the likes of
United Networks, Auckland Airport, Capital Properties, good old reliable
blue chip stocks. Although they don't have all the buzz words such as
"e-commerce" and "B2B", they return a tidy little sum at the end of each
financial year. Also, how can Linux be listed on the NASDAQ? its not even a
bloody company!

Matthew Gardiner

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Baseball
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 19:23:53 -0700

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> LOL
>
> Maybe Microsoft will go the full monty and deliver a stable OS for once?
>
> Matthew Gardiner

LOL!  But GEE... Bill Gates has nothing to hide!

:-))

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <jspl@jsplom>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 21:29:06 -0400

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9agc8g$n2q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> So, say if I was a programmer, and I was working from home.  I was just
> cruising through the source code of piece of software and I saw a MAJOR
> error, so I think, well, I better email work to notify them of the
problem.
> So, I open up me hotmail inbox and email them a patch to correct the
error.
> Does that mean that the patch I just sent is the property of Microsoft?
> that sound pretty strange.  Its a bit like posting a letter, and getting
> told that the Post Office owns it once you have posted it, regardless of
who
> it is intended for.
>
> Matthew Gardiner

Turns out MS is changing it anyway, so everyone can stop crying about it
now.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:33:32 +1200

is it because the unwashed masses started to get pissed off?

Matthew Gardiner

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I regretfully conclude that Linux is a piece of CRAP.
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 18:36:52 -0700

In article <Loyy6.680$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Tom Wilson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Karel Jansens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> <snip>
>

>> I would like to go on record that Dame Margaret Thatcher definitely has
>> the biggest set of balls any non ball-bearing person has ever flaunted.
>> "Balls of steel" doesn't quite cut the mustard, think neutronium.
>
> I'll agree to that wholeheartedly. Were she to immigrate and declare her
> candidacy, I'd vote for her in a heartbeat.

I just got this mental picture of a naked George Bush Jr. on all fours
with a dog collar around his neck, and a black-leather-clad Maggie holding
the leash, with a spike heel in his back and waving a cat'o'nine-tails in
her free hand.  No question whose got the bigger balls, or my vote.

Need....more....beer.

------------------------------

From: "Johnny Neutron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.microsoft.sucks
Subject: Re: Crimosoft will get off scot-free
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 01:34:59 GMT

"Tim Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Well folks, my agency just got done sending $120m to Redmond for Windows
> Evewywhewe.

Elmer Fudd's OS of choice?

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hailstorm: Heed the Warnings
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 18:42:31 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Don't Ask"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But the article doesn't mention if you get a free toaster with it!

Toaster, schmoaster.  You should be hoping this comes with a complimentary
55 gallon drum of K-Y jelly.

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:55:36 +1200

So thats why the public never see's his (Bill Gates's) misses, she probably
too assamed to associated with him (Bill Gates).