Linux-Advocacy Digest #573, Volume #29           Tue, 10 Oct 00 12:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: The Power of the Future! (Roberto Teixeira)
  Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform - was Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
  Re: Unix rules in Redmond (=?Windows-1252?Q?Paul_'Z'_Ewande=A9?=)
  Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
  Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
  Re: Linux Sucks
  Re: The Power of the Future!
  Re: Unix rules in Redmond
  Re: Unix rules in Redmond
  Re: Winvocates and Linvocates: What do you use your desktop OS for?
  Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
  Re: Unix rules in Redmond (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Paul_'Z'_Ewande=A9?=)
  Re: Newbie: How do you setup 2 PC's using Rhat Linux 6.2?
  Re: The Power of the Future!
  Re: The Power of the Future! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
(=?iso-8859-1?Q?Paul_'Z'_Ewande=A9?=)
  Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
  Re: Unix rules in Redmond
  Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform - was Re: Linsux as a desktop
platform (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Paul_'Z'_Ewande=A9?=)
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
  Re: The Power of the Future! ("Simon Palko")

From: Roberto Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: The Power of the Future!
Date: 10 Oct 2000 13:23:15 -0200

    claire> Not to mention that the average newbie installing Linux
    claire> tends to take the Install Everything selection so as not
    claire> to miss anything, and this typically starts up all kinds
    claire> of services that leaves her wide open to attack.

It depends on the distro. For instance, our distro Conectiva Linux
installs but does not starts the servers. You may install inetd, but
you will have to configure it to start. This was made exactly so that
users don't start things they don't need.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform - was Re: Linsux as a desktop
platform
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:24:22 -0000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:56:50 +0200, Paul 'Z' Ewande© <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
><SNIP> Some stuff </SNIP>
>
>> >If you can have 3 times the performance for the same price, seems quite
>> >compelling to me.
>>
>> ...certainly. It's not your data on the line.
>
>Well, if one solution is operating at peak power and the other one is at 33%
>to do the same task, the reliabilty of the second one is likely to better
>than the first one, anti-Microsoft bias aside, of course.

        ...all real world experience aside as well.

>You may wave hands all you like, but the NT toy seems quite competitive next
>to the 'real' OSes.

        ...except for that little catch about possibly needing to
        change the structure of the data.

        The fact remains that the only systems in the tpc-c top ten
        that require clustering to get there are the Windows boxes.

--

  If what they've been doing hasn't solved the problem, tell them to
  do something else.

------------------------------

From: =?Windows-1252?Q?Paul_'Z'_Ewande=A9?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix rules in Redmond
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:25:29 +0200

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
8rua0f$1du$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<SNIP> Some stuff </SNIP>

> News doesnt even cover the bandwidth of a busy webserver.

Don't the alt.binaries.* count ?

Paul 'Z' Ewande

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:27:24 -0000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:43:48 +0200, Paul 'Z' Ewande© <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>"Gardiner Family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Microsoft wanted to grab the enterprise market, and to do this, they had
>> ensure that when they release it, it was as stable and bullet proof as
>they
>> could possibly get it. The big difference between Microsoft and Linux, is
>that
>> Microsoft must turn a profit to make the share holders happy, I have
>nothing
>> against this, however, I do think, when it comes to their consumer
>products,
>> they donot put as much effort into ensuring realiabilty as they should.  I
>have
>
>It's not that MS didn't care, but Win9x was to designed to support as much
>as possible legacy with old DOS/Win16 software and drivers which needed

        ...which itself was another example of pisspoor engineering on
        Microsoft's part. MS had 14 years to 'fix' DOS and no real
        motivation to make Windows 16 bit ever.

[deletia]

--

  You will be Told about it Tomorrow.  Go Home and Prepare Thyself.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:27:54 -0000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:35:05 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Problem is the wave is dying out :)

        Only in your dellusions.

--

  news: gotcha

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linux Sucks
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:29:01 -0000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:57:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>It seems to matter to the folks that think they are going to make a
>fortune off Linux, Like Redhat, SuSE etc.

        Actually, the sorts of things your talking about have little
        to no relevance to Suse. They're more relevant to the likes
        of SGI or IBM.

--

  I think...  I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs and check.
                -- Escher

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:30:28 -0000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 13:06:29 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Dolly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Chad,
>>
>> We;ve installed tons of Win9X and NT boxes all with
>> that stupid checkbox disabled... the earlier
>> versions a simple portscan would reveal NetBIOS
>> bound to port 139 anyway. The newer versions still
>> bind it but hide it better.
>>
>> Try my little test yourself if you dont believe
>> me.
>
>As I've demonstrated before...
>
>If you disable the workstation service, WINS, and
>uncheck NetBIOS over TCP/IP in Windows NT 4.0,
>port 139 (TCP and UDP) will no longer be open.
>Period. You lie. Please give it up.

        No, you just proved his point. You amply demonstrated
        that NT is "broken as delivered" and that you have to
        know what is broken and how to fix it.

--

  I'll eat ANYTHING that's BRIGHT BLUE!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:33:17 -0000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 13:10:54 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:8ru4kt$1du$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> > But they haven't?
>>
>> You're right chad.  As right as dresden.  Theres no way a 4096 processor
>> mainframe could ever beat a compaq machine.
>>
>> No, really.
>
>Spare me the sarcasm. Please answer the question. Why hasn't IBM
>enterered their top-o'-the-line into the TPC race and annihilated the
>competition? What reason would they have not to?

        Perhaps their marketing department is a bit more sophisticated
        than that. Perhaps they know that this consumer grade sort of
        stinginess is less prevalent amongst customers willing to spend
        6 or 7 figures on computing solutions.

        Perhaps they don't find any reason to worry about being "outdone"
        by massively clustered solutions.

>It's simple logic, there should be a simple answer. What is it?

        They can read better.

--

  Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.
                -- Lao Tsu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:34:38 -0000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:27:00 +0200, =?Windows-1252?Q?Paul_'Z'_Ewande=A9?=
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
>8ru4kt$1du$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
><SNIP> Some stuff </SNIP>
>
>> You're right chad.  As right as dresden.  Theres no way a 4096 processor
>> mainframe could ever beat a compaq machine.
>>
>> No, really.
>
>Take that strawman ! And that ! And that !
>
>Now that the strawman has been thoroughly thrashed, will you agree that your
>"Nope, microsoft/compaq can still not even come close to touching IBM in any
>way, shape or form." was a little overenthusiastic ?

        Show us the single Compaq that can manage 160K TPM.

[deletia]

--

  Some people have a great ambition: to build something
  that will last, at least until they've finished building it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Winvocates and Linvocates: What do you use your desktop OS for?
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:36:16 -0000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:39:21 -0400, MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm glad. Now if we could figure out how linux can satisfy your spell
>checking needs....
>I think mozilla has that feature...

        Emacs has it. There's even a pulldown menu for it.

[deletia]

        Although some people might view even that as more effort
        than this forum rates.

--

  If you took all of the grains of sand in the world, and lined
  them up end to end in a row, you'd be working for the government!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:39:37 -0000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 13:21:48 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:8rv41n$utm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > Again, the same point... it's *OK* when Linux is way late because they're
>> > "getting it right", but it's laughable when Microsoft is late when they're
>> > "getting it right". Why the double standard?
>>
>> Because microsoft DIDNT "get it right".
>
>Of course they did. What basis for this claim do you have?

        Companies running away from NT as a low thruput RDBMS
        running and screaming to Oracle on some form of Unix.

[deletia]

--

  Fools ignore complexity.  Pragmatists suffer it.
  Some can avoid it.  Geniuses remove it.

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Paul_'Z'_Ewande=A9?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:42:11 +0200

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:27:00 +0200, =?Windows-1252?Q?Paul_'Z'_Ewande=A9?=
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
> >8ru4kt$1du$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> ><SNIP> Some stuff </SNIP>
> >
> >> You're right chad.  As right as dresden.  Theres no way a 4096
processor
> >> mainframe could ever beat a compaq machine.
> >>
> >> No, really.
> >
> >Take that strawman ! And that ! And that !
> >
> >Now that the strawman has been thoroughly thrashed, will you agree that
your
> >"Nope, microsoft/compaq can still not even come close to touching IBM in
any
> >way, shape or form." was a little overenthusiastic ?
>
> Show us the single Compaq that can manage 160K TPM.

Take that strawman ! And that ! And that !

Now that the strawman has been thoroughly thrashed, once again, will you
agree that this "Nope, microsoft/compaq can still not even come close to
touching IBM in any way, shape or form." was a little overenthusiastic ?

What's with you people, can't you stay on topic ? Or perhaps it's your way
to concede that indeed, Microsoft/Compaq [with a toy NT OS] can come close
to touching IBM since it was in *any way, shape and form* ?

Paul 'Z' Ewande

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Newbie: How do you setup 2 PC's using Rhat Linux 6.2?
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:43:40 -0000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:39:47 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>That's not what jedi told him. I believe he said something about a
>kernel re-compile?

        It all depends on what you view as easier, keeping track of
        IRQ's or recompiling the kernel. There are a variety of ways
        to approach the problem and not just one.

>Can't you guys get your stories straight?
>
>FWIW, my NE2000 card worked out of the box with Mandrake 7.1

        NE2000 is a CLASS of hardware. It is not a particular
        piece of hardware. All you know is that it "might" work
        the first time. This is as true for WinDOS as it is for
        Linux.

        The high likelihood of such a card being ISA also complicates
        things and is probably the leading cause of things not being
        necessarily simple with such cards even under WinDOS.

--

  No matter whether th' constitution follows th' flag or not, th' supreme
  court follows th' iliction returns.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:44:28 -0000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:15:34 -0400, Dan Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi Drestin,
>
>If she's refereing to the fact that a hacker can easilly use any share
>on windows if you have netbui installed, check this link:

        These wankers also flood local networks with useless network traffic.

--

  Fame lost its appeal for me when I went into a public restroom and an
  autograph seeker handed me a pen and paper under the stall door.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:46:23 GMT

Good move!
Why the others don't do the same is a mystery to me?

claire

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Paul_'Z'_Ewande=A9?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:47:32 +0200

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<SNIP> Some stuff </SNIP>

> >It's not that MS didn't care, but Win9x was to designed to support as
much
> >as possible legacy with old DOS/Win16 software and drivers which needed
>
> ...which itself was another example of pisspoor engineering on
> Microsoft's part. MS had 14 years to 'fix' DOS and no real
> motivation to make Windows 16 bit ever.

Well, there are things as installed user base to support, capabilities of
the hardware current at the time to take into considerations. Of course you
can write the greatest OS ever starting with a clean slate, but in the real
world, things are rarely that simple.

Do you beleive that Linux would be where it is today if it was not that
compatible/similar with UNIX ?

Paul 'Z' Ewande

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:50:48 -0000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 20:45:24 +1000, Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> Here is the part of the article I like best:
>> ********************************************************************************
>> Meanwhile, Linux backer Compaq Computer is taking the open source
>> software to task for not moving beyond its niche status. The
>> UNIX/Linux product marketing manager for Compaq says that Linux needs
>> to show that its being used in more enterprises before it can be taken
>> seriously. "We're definitely at the stage where we need reference
>> [enterprise] sites [using Linux]," Compaq's Judy Chavis says.
>> "Otherwise we'll be in danger of losing all this momentum and it
>> becomes one of those 'just for geeks' things."
>
>So getting the software out in an unstable state because of *marketing*
>reasons is more important to this woman than stability. Hmmm, she is
>more interested in the image of Linux being just for geeks than looking
>at the real substance.
>
>> Chavis says that the
>> delays in the Linux 2.4 kernel will delay her company's plans to
>> release a Linux-based e-commerce site,
>
>Why? If you are *that* desperate to use Linux, the 2.2 series kernels do
>just fine and you can even use the *gasp* pre-release 2.4 kernels!!!

        Quite right.

        You could even choose to run one of the more stable 2.3.x releases.
        It's not like anyone is hiding anything. If you disagree with Linus
        in terms of the release schedule, you can act in a contrary manner
        any time you like.

[deletia]

        This is why Compaq is no DEC.

        When you are trying to build a Unix that is going after the glass
        room, you DO NOT skimp on the engineering in favor of marketing.
        This is what seperates the Small Iron from mere toys. Compaq is
        criticizing the kernel dev team for doing EXACTLY what it SHOULD
        be doing to address the sort of markets Compaq is refering to.

--

  The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.  The goal of nature
  is to build better mice.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:54:50 -0000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:42:11 +0200, Paul 'Z' Ewande© <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:27:00 +0200, =?Windows-1252?Q?Paul_'Z'_Ewande=A9?=
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
>> >8ru4kt$1du$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> >
>> ><SNIP> Some stuff </SNIP>

>processor

>> >Take that strawman ! And that ! And that !
>> >
>> >Now that the strawman has been thoroughly thrashed, will you agree that
>your
>> >"Nope, microsoft/compaq can still not even come close to touching IBM in
>any
>> >way, shape or form." was a little overenthusiastic ?
>>
>> Show us the single Compaq that can manage 160K TPM.
>
>Take that strawman ! And that ! And that !
>
>Now that the strawman has been thoroughly thrashed, once again, will you
>agree that this "Nope, microsoft/compaq can still not even come close to
>touching IBM in any way, shape or form." was a little overenthusiastic ?

        No it hasn't.

        Partitioning the data, signficantly alters the problem.

[deletia]

        My comment is on topic: the top 10 tcp-c scores.

        All of the non-windos scores are for single systems that are
        less constrained in the sorts of tasks you could assign to them.
        ALL of the NT systems in the top 10 are only there because of
        loosely coupled clustering.

        They might as well be using Beowulf.

        You just choose to ignore views of the data that undermine
        your little agenda. These are issues that REAL admins cannot
        simply sweep under the carpet.

        So, again: where is Compaq's machine that can do 160TPM?

--

  Swipple's Rule of Order:
        He who shouts the loudest has the floor.

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Paul_'Z'_Ewande=A9?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
platform
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:54:11 +0200

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'll include comp.sys.ms-windows.nt.advocacy since it may be of interest to
them.

> >Well, if one solution is operating at peak power and the other one is at
33%
> >to do the same task, the reliabilty of the second one is likely to better
> >than the first one, anti-Microsoft bias aside, of course.
>
> ...all real world experience aside as well.

You have examples of Win2K failures while dealing with databases ?

> >You may wave hands all you like, but the NT toy seems quite competitive
next
> >to the 'real' OSes.
>
> ...except for that little catch about possibly needing to
> change the structure of the data.

That what makes NT a toy OS ?

> The fact remains that the only systems in the tpc-c top ten
> that require clustering to get there are the Windows boxes.

What prevents the real OSes vendors to cluster their mighty boxes ? In
price/performance and top perfomance, they are currently thoroughly
embarassed by this little toy OS. All your twisting, turning and squirming
won't change that simple cold fact.

Paul 'Z' Ewande

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,alt.conspiracy.area51,comp.os.netware.misc,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:55:52 -0000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:00:07 GMT, Mike Byrns <@technologist,.com> wrote:
>Gary Hallock wrote:
>
>> John Lockwood wrote:Let's see:
>>

>> > 1) Windows works.
>> > 2) Notepad works on NT, Win98, Windows 3x, etc.
>> > 3) Notepad is a trivial windows application.  (Defined as an
>> > application a good Windows programmer could complete in a week or
>> > two).
>> > 4) Notepad and thousands of other working applications are coded to
>> > the Windows API.
>> > 5) Notepad doesn't work on WINE.
>> >
>> > Therefore WIN32 is a piece of crap?
>> >
>> > Well, I've never used WINE, but the conclusion I'd be more likely to
>> > reach given the above is that your premise that WINE emulates Windows
>> > is false.
>> >
>> > John
>>
>> Well, this whole discussion seems to be based on a false assumption.
>> Notepad does work on Wine.   And I run Lotus Notes under Wine every day at
>> work.
>
>Where's the link ?

        Office was running under Wine years ago.

        Starcraft under wine is also popular in some circles.

--

  The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

------------------------------

From: "Simon Palko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:42:21 -0400

Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> It was the Tue, 10 Oct 2000 02:44:16 GMT...

> > > Tell me one thing that BeOS can do that Linux is conceptually
> > > incapable of.
> >
> > Provide a stable, reliable GUI?
>
> I don't know which reality you live in, but in mine, Linux has a
> stable, reliable GUI which I use every day.
>
> Mind you, it's stable and reliable even though I run the CVS version
> of most of the components. For people who simply run Helix GNOME or
> such, I imagine the stability is yet better.

I don't think I've ever seen someone refer to XF86 as "stable" before.
Unless you're running some other X server?  I've never had much luck with
XF86, myself, especially 3.x.  Now, I can't comment on 4.x, since it
wouldn't even RUN on my hardware (voodoo3), with the TDFX driver giving some
odd memory error every time I tried to start it.  One of the reasons I gave
up on linux, for the moment.  That, and my hardware ISA modem being not
supported.

--
-Simon Palko

"More fun than a barrel of monkeys... with dynamite strapped to their
backs!"