Linux-Advocacy Digest #573, Volume #31           Fri, 19 Jan 01 11:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: KDE Hell ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it   does) )
(Kevin Ford)
  Re: A salutary lesson about open source (.)
  Re: I just can't help it! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Another World's Fastest Parallel Supercomputer running Linux
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Poor Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Windows curses fast computers (Larry R)
  Re: Poor Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: I just can't help it! ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Windows curses fast computers (Donn Miller)
  Re: I just can't help it! (Aaron Ginn)
  Re: What really burns the Winvocates here... (Aaron Ginn)
  Re: What really burns the Winvocates here... (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Windows curses fast computers (Kevin Ford)
  Re: NT is Most Vulnerable Server Software ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: "Basing the new supercomputers on Linux was a no-brainer..." ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:15:19 GMT

"Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > "Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> >> Nah, you can do OO in C.  You'd just have to use a lot of ugly pointers
> >> to functions, typedef structs, and other such kludges.
>
> > If you want a vivid example of that, just take a look at the JPEG
group's
> > source code. I'm still debating whether the programmer was a genius,
> > masochist, or simply insane. (Contains all of the constructs you
mentioned
> > plus macros three and sometimes four levels deep) Its' a few stages
above a
> > Dobb's Journal Obsfucated Code contest entry.
>
> Yeah, I know.  I used to use the jpeg library for a lot of simple projects
> did.  Also, I thought the code used to obtain scanlines was pretty ugly as
> well.

The color quantization potions are a nightmare...

> The documentation mentioned that there was a lot of pre-ansi C
> compilers out there, so that's the reason for the macros.  They were just
> trying to make the code accessible to the lowest common denominator.

The thing about it though, in JPGLIB6B, there are specific references to the
fact that the code was far better suited to C++. Its' almost like the poor
fellow is begging for someone to help do it. I guess he has a point about
keeping it in its' present form considering the somewhat loose standards
compliance some C++ compiler manufactures were keeping at the time

> I guess
> they took pity on those people who were stupid enough to want to work with
> jpeg images on outdated compiler/linker toolchains.  Unfortunately, their
> code is just plain excruciating for those of us with modern ANSI
compilers.

Fortunately I've just about completed a multi-image stream object that
handles JPEG, TIFF and several other formats (even VICAR as a joke) and will
never have to look upon that sort of code again.

I still have to hand it to the programmer, parts of that code, while hard to
follow, are pretty slick. The guy really knows his C.

Well, 8 hours of pre-work hacking are complete. Time to head in to the
office and hack another 16 or so. Fuckin' deadlines - I hate 'em! <g>

--
Tom Wilson
Sunbelt Software Solutions

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Ford)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.linux.slakware
Subject: Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it
does) )
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:46:34 +0000

Tom Wilson once wrote:

>"ono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:942ii8$ev5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > It doesn't have to be VBasic, for me.  However, a VBasic for
>> > Linux should be possible -- there's already a
>> development/emulator/something
>> > for Solaris that allows for the running of Microsoft VBasic;
>> > its main problem is calling [D]COM/ActiveX/whatever things.
>> And that's the point. The beauty of js,vbs is it's ability to interact
>with
>> the system through COM!
>> (you can't even write a decent script-virus with linux)
>
>And this is a BAD thing???
>
>I hope this is a joke...

I always like c:\com\com .....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: A salutary lesson about open source
Date: 19 Jan 2001 14:28:17 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Cliff Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 19 Jan 2001 13:27:57 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] typed something like:
>>
>>> Oh you mean the heavily inflated web server thing? The grossly unscientific
>>> misrepresentative web server thing? Where every virtual host is counted
>>> as a sever thus doubling or trippling the server numbers?
>>
>>Yes chad, that would be the webserver thing where IIS isnt capable of handling
>>much over a couple of hundred virtual hosts no matter how fast the machine
>>is.
>>
>>Oh, but thats not important in the REAL world, is it.  No one would ever want
>>to host thousands or tens of thousands of sites on one machine.
>>
>>No, really.

> Dude,
> There you go, trying to inject reality into an argument
> with a Wintroll.
> I figured you'd learn after all these years.
> Well, no, I guess I didn't.

Goddamnit.

> Still live in the city?

Yep, wicker park area.  I work for yet another multinational megaconglomerate. :)

You still doing that consulting gig?

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: I just can't help it!
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:46:47 GMT

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:48:48 -0500, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>So, I'm going to take this time to happily gloat.
>
>Win2K:  MTTF 2893 Hours? (120 days)
>NT:     MTTF 919 Hours? (38 Days)
>Win98:  MTTF 216 Hours (9 days)
>
>No responsible OS company would advertise these numbers, they are a
>disgrace.

I think a reality check is required here:

MS are claiming these tests indicate a W2k
WWW/file/print/backup/database server will only require attendance on
average three times a year.  Most business will be very lucky of they
don't have PABX, power, fax or photocopying problems three times a
month, not to mention staffing changes and disruptions due to internal
or external industrial action.

If what MS claim is true then the average business running W2k will
now be in the situation where their computers will be the least of
their problems.

If you examine the WWW servers housing pages for many successful
companies and financial institutions you will see the vast majority
don't even have *maximum* uptimes in excess of 120 days.  Yet these
companies continue to carry out their various activities and make
large profits in the process.

As for Linux - if you do a Netcraft survey of the Linux distributor
sites you will see only a couple exceed the performance of W2k.  In
fact many don't even come close.

Having servers and desktops capable of mean uptimes in excess 120 days
is somewhat analogous to having high definition television beyond that
which the human eye can resolve.  It is simply something the vast
majority of the market doesn't need in order to carry out their
business activities.

I get the feeling the Unix community see extended uptimes as perhaps
the last issue of significance they have to hammer MS with.  If the
above figures are accurate then MS are very rapidly closing that door.
Consider that W2K SP1 is now out and the incremental improvement of
software is generally greatest with the first service pack.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Another World's Fastest Parallel Supercomputer running Linux
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:16:42 GMT

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 06:42:00 GMT, "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>They instructed the applications not to rip audio.
>
>You oughta try that.

So you tell me then how do you instruct kscd (whatever the included
kde cd player is) how to not rip audio?

Specfic instructions please.

I'm waiting.

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:18:00 GMT

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 04:12:48 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie
Ebert) wrote:

>Linux is always, install it once, use it, upgrade it when
>upgrades are available, but you never have to re-install it
>unless you've just lost your hardware.
>
>Or your mind.
>
>Charlie

Your medication is wearing off Charlie.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:20:43 GMT

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 06:18:26 GMT, "kiwiunixman"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Why have you replied to mine off topic?

Because he is running a crappy News reader, and if he read the
original post he would have known the distro I used was Mandrake 7.2.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:22:32 GMT

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:30:19 +0200, "Ayende Rahien"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>
>> USB works just fine under Linux.
>
>You qouted 6KB(!!!) just to say this? WTF?
>Read how to post before you actually do it, please.

The medication seems to be wearing off as his post's are becoming more
bizarre with time.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Poor Linux
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:26:39 GMT

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 04:39:39 GMT, "kiwiunixman"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Listen to my sonny, I have a Sound Blaster Live!, TNT2 32 MB Graphics card,
>and a SwannSmart II 56K Modem (Aussie made = quality), and mine work
>perfectly under Linux (SuSE Linux 7.0 Pro), with out an problems.  So, I
>don't know what tree you fell out of, but it must of been a very long fall!

Tell me how you get digital output from the SBLive via spd/if
connectors?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry R)
Subject: Windows curses fast computers
Date: 19 Jan 2001 15:22:38 GMT

Gotta love this:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/517823.asp

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:49:45 GMT

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 06:21:20 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie
Ebert) wrote:

>It is fully supported under Linux.
>See their web site.

I can see how much support Creative has for Linux.
Linux isn't even listed in the operating systems box when you try to
download drivers.

http://www.soundblaster.com/drivers/

So where did they hide them?

Oh, now I see it:

"The driver section here only contains drivers for our Sound Blaster
line of audio cards. If you are looking for drivers for our other
products, e.g. graphics cards, please visit the driver section"

Gee I thought the Live was an Audio card?
Funny they even have drivers listed for OS/2.

Golly gee, I just found them, buried in the Beta driver section with a
date of 4/30/99.

http://www.creative.com/support/files/download.asp?prod=sblive&OS=Beta&reg=0&select=Get+Files

I can see how committed Creative is to Linux...  :(

Ha! Ha!

You are not a very good liar Charlie, and an even worse Linvocate.

What you SHOULD have replied was that there are OSS drivers available,
but they cost money and while it looks like they FINALLY have S/PDIF
working there are other limitations.
Come already the card has only been around for about 3 years or so.

http://www.opensound.com/readme/README.SBLive.html

Funny, when I bought the card 3 years ago ALL the features I paid for
worked right out of the box.

It's been 3 years and Linux still can't get it right, even with help
from Creative.

>99% of the hardware Linux doesn't plan on handling is
>WIN hardware.   And Win Hardware isn't hardware.
>It's an emulation of hardware just like Windows is
>an emulation of an operating system.

My scanner isn't Win hardware. Neither is my Camera, nor is my
printer.

They all work with my iMac as well as Windows.

They DON'T work with Linux.

>You'd have to be a dildo to buy into it.

Win Hardware yes, I agree.

I don't have Win-Hardware though.

>It's not.  People are demanding Linux as it works RIGHT!
>

>Charlie

Desktop users are laughing their heads off at Linux, especially when
they give it a try.

It should stick to servers.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:49:32 -0500

Bones wrote:

> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > ROTFLMAO!  Mean time to failure (MTTF) is a term that is applied to
> > non-repairable parts such as light bulbs.  If this isn't a typographical
> > error, then even a reboot won't fix it; replacement is necessary.
>
> Maybe they were using 'MTTF' in the context of having to replacing the
> contents of the core (i.e. reboot and reload the OS).

I think it means that every so often, Lose2k fucks up your hard drive
so bad, you have to replace it.

> ----
> Bones

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:53:43 -0500
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows curses fast computers

Larry R wrote:

> Gotta love this:
>
> http://www.msnbc.com/news/517823.asp

I've seen this on AMD 450 MHz machines running 98.  This is what happens
when you take shortcuts.  For example, find a faster way to shut down
all programs when doing a shutdown instead of screwing with
real/protected mode.

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 19 Jan 2001 08:31:08 -0700

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Aaron Ginn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > Nobody said that.  What we're saying is that typical desktops *ARE* shut
> > > down at night.  This is in contradiction to people who talk about
> > > how their
> >
> > No they aren't.  Typical Windows desktops maybe.  Does typical mean
> > Windows in your world?  I take it that you, like Microsoft, think
> > these are good results?
>
> Typical desktops are shut down to conserve power.  Only recently has power
> management become useable in Linux and other OS's.
>
> A company that shuts down it's PC's at night can save millions in
> electricity bills.

Maybe the mom and pop store that has on PC in the back for inventory
might be better served by shutting down, but a large company?  Are you
serious?  The time lost in productivity waiting for all the
workstations to cycle back up is by _far_ greater than the few
dollars saved in electricity.  Although with Windows workstations
this might be valid.  The time lost in productivity due to Windows
crashes certainly might be greater than the time to power up.  That
might make daily reboots worth it.  That's an indictment of Windows,
however.

Where exactly do you work, anyway?

--
Aaron J. Ginn                    Phone: 480-814-4463
Motorola SemiCustom Solutions    Pager: 877-586-2318

------------------------------

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What really burns the Winvocates here...
Date: 19 Jan 2001 08:22:02 -0700

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > Is easier to install than Windows? No it isn't!

> > I find it much easier - I got my wife a new system for
> > Christmas, and installed Red Hat 7.0 on a partition at
> > the end of the disk, as a sanity check.  As usual, it all
> > went smoothly, all hardware was recognized and duly
> > configured first time.
>
> Judging by my recent experience, I found Windows to be easier to install.
>
> > Anyone who thinks windows was easier to install
> > is in denial of reality.
>
> You've cited one example. So have I. What does that mean?

At worst it means your statement 'Linux is not easier to install than
Windows' is wrong.  You ought to change it to 'Windows can be easier
to install than Linux in certain cases.'  No one would have a problem
with that.

Well, maybe Charlie would! ;)

For someone who appears to be so concerned with the semantics of Linux
advocates, you sure do engage in quite a bit of hyperbole yourself.

> > I'm not sure what you mean by "mutliple mess", could you explain?
>
> Some applications are built with Gtk, some with Qt/KDE, some MOTIF. File
> -> Save works differently in each case. In Netscape's case, it forgets
> the file name of an image as you move around the directory tree. It also
> takes a long time with a load of files. KDE doesn't do any of this and
> is a bit quicker. Gtk has a dialog with list boxes that start scrolling
> when you don't expect it.
>
> It's the lack of standards here I call a "multiple mess".

If this bothers you so much, pick an environment and stick with it.
Geeze, uninstall Netscape, GNOME and GTK if this bothers you so
much.

> > It's not only personal taste that causes me to prefer Linux
> > to windows, it's tangibles like viruses, blue screens, random
> > crashes - it's seeing my little girl lose all the documents she
> > had stored on the computer because windows decided to
> > scribble all over the disk.
>
> And the worm that is now taking out some web servers is... Redhat based.

And the fixes for it have been in place for months.  As we stated
several times, no OS can overcome inept administrators that choose not
to install fixes for known exploits.

> > It's seeing difference at work when I go back and forth
> > between the windows desktop and my Linux desktop,
> > which is like a breath of fresh air after the silliness of ms
> > windows, let me tell you.
>
> That's interesting. I see Linux as the silliness with all the mess I
> mentioned above, and Windows as the breath of fresh air.

Where do you live, Mexico City?

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:54:07 GMT

In article <9490r5$63$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Is easier to install than Windows? No it isn't!
> >
> > I find it much easier - I got my wife a new system for
> > Christmas, and installed Red Hat 7.0 on a partition at
> > the end of the disk, as a sanity check.  As usual, it all
> > went smoothly, all hardware was recognized and duly
> > configured first time.
>
> Judging by my recent experience, I found Windows to be easier to install.

That could be because you don't mean the same things when you say
"install linux" and "install windows"?

Let's make a simple test.

Take a computer with Linux installed. Now install Windows in it, preserving
Linux.

Take a computer with Windows installed. Now install Linux, preserving
windows.

What do you expect to be easier?

> > Anyone who thinks windows was easier to install
> > is in denial of reality.
>
> You've cited one example. So have I. What does that mean?
>
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "mutliple mess", could you explain?
>
> Some applications are built with Gtk, some with Qt/KDE, some MOTIF. File
> -> Save works differently in each case.

Then use only the apps whose behaviour you like. You cut yourself
off from a lot of software, but you get consistence. Your choice.

[snip]

> And the worm that is now taking out some web servers is... Redhat based.

Anyone netadmin that can get hit by that worm is incompetent by
definition and should be summarily fired.

--
Roberto Alsina

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Ford)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:54:34 +0000

Larry R once wrote:
>Gotta love this:
>
>http://www.msnbc.com/news/517823.asp

Couldn't read it..... the IIS server seemed to be down @15:54 GMT....
connection timed out.

LOL! What is the artice about?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: NT is Most Vulnerable Server Software
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:00:56 -0500

J Sloan wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:ke9649.u2d.ln@gd2zzx...
> > > From the January 17 SANS NewsBites:
> > >
> > >  --11 January 2001  NT is Most Vulnerable Server Software
> > > A survey posted on Attrition.org ranks Windows NT as the most vulnerable
> > > to crackers, garnering nearly 60% of December defacements.  Microsoft
> > > may be targeted because it is so widely known, or because it has a
> > > reputation for hurrying the release of applications, which suggests that
> > > security might take a back seat.
> > > http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-4449902.html
> >
> > Kind of ironic, consider the RameN crew worm that's loose on Red Hat Linux
> > 6.2 and 7.0 machines throughout the internet.
>
> Tee hee, I think you are exaggerating the scope of this -
>
> I have a number of Red Hat servers out there, and none
> of them has been hit with this...
>
> > In any event, all it takes is one vulnerability and you can make the top of
> > the list as well, as Red Hat is finding out.
>
> But they haven't made the top of the list - microsoft's lead
> is most likely insurmountable at this point.

Next up on Microsoft's Dubious Achievements list...

> jjs

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Basing the new supercomputers on Linux was a no-brainer..."
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:02:40 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Bobby D. Bryant wrote:
> >sfcybear wrote:
> >
> >> "Basing the new supercomputers on Linux was a no-brainer, Reed said,
> >> because the platform provides users with a familiar computing
> >> environment that covers single-user desktop workstations and small
> >> research clusters to the largest systems."
> >
> >You can bet that Linux's inroads on the desktop are deepest in the
> >fields of science and engineering, and getting deeper there every day.
> >Businesses will lag along more slowly.
> >

> This could be BETTER said as business are pathetic followers.
> Where ever the cattle troff leads them they will go.
>
> They are not leaders of anything.

Management types (including politicians) are very adept at
jumping in front of long-running parades.

> >Bobby Bryant
> >Austin, Texas
> >

> Charlie

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.