From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
Subject: Re: Rather humorous posting on news.com commentry forum:
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:01:06 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>It is about time the end user got out of this ignorance. These are the exact
>same people who protest against globalisation and Free Tebet, they know

I don't know what's it is like over there, but the anti-globalisation
protestors I've seen in the UK are very educated about the subject. A lot more
so than most of those sitting at home watching the protests on the news. I've
no real experience with "Free Tibet" types.

>diddly squat about, but because some communist, aka, trade unionist rants on
>the news about things, because it would mean the end of their pampered union
>lifestyle, and whats worse, they, the ignorant public, believe them!

What does that rant has to do with the above?

ian.

 \ /
(@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
/(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
 | |

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux posts #1 TPC-H result (W2K still better)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:02:13 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <Don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9e0g6l$4a0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

<snip>

> > Actually, it depends on which distro.  RedHat has that linuxconf tool
> > for adding users, and as far as I know, it's just as easy adding users
> > with that tool as it is with Windows NT, because it's 100% GUI driven.
>
> No, it's not as easy. Linuxconf is the most twisted up tool that I've
seen.
> You put ten thousands configurations into one tool. It takes minutes just
> find the right node!
> And it can't decided if it's a wizard base interface or dialog base or
> something else.
> They should've gone on something like the control panel on windows, not to
> shove everything and anything under the sun into one tool.

I agree with that. Linuxconf has long outlived its' usefullness. SuSE did
far better with YAST.

------------------------------

From: "Jerry Wong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.hardware,hk.comp.pc,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Linux LCD problem
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 23:09:06 +0800

Can anybody help?

X_ESP ¼¶¼g©ó¤å³¹ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why did Eazel shutdown?
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:19:47 GMT

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Matthias Warkus wrote:
>
> > It was the 16 May 2001 17:20:59 GMT...

> > >  Actually it doesnt at all, thats one of those big lies that everyone
> > >  seems to want to believe.
> >
> > It's common sense that the easiest way of communication is
> > to talk face-to-face. And efficiency requires communication if you
> > want to make anything remotely resembling a software system product.
> >
> > mawa
> >

> Geeks talk? most programmers I have meet are recluse, social impotant
twitts
> who couldn't string a sentence together to save themselves.

You're either indulging in stereotypes or New Zealand programmers are a
sorry lot. <g>

------------------------------

From: "Scott L." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Campaign: Microsoft Free by October 1st
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:20:20 GMT

I'm working on this, to a degree. I now have a Win 2k / RedHat 7.1 dual boot
at home. I'm trying to get in the habit of using RH for everything I can.
Which is only about 50% of the apps I like to run.

I cannot become 100% MS free, until the market dictates that. They do not
make Asherons Call for Linux. They do not make NHL 2001 for Linux. As a
matter of fact, most A+ level entertainment and games will not run under
Linux. I have yet to get WINE to run, but the overhead on that will preclude
running most games.

THATS what's preventing me from being 100% Linux at home.

Scott L.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt McLeod)
Crossposted-To:
alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris,staroffice.com.support.install.solaris,comp.unix.advocacy,alt.os.unix,alt.unix
Subject: Re: Solaris 8 vs 7/2.x....
Date: 18 May 2001 01:30:33 +1000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Donal K. Fellows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Matt McLeod wrote:
>> And, possibly more importantly, it means you have an "interesting"
>> time dealing with compiler incompatibilities.  It's bad enough between
>> versions of Sun's stuff, let alone between the Sun compilers and gcc.
>
>So long as you treat warnings issued by any compiler as errors to be fixed,
>that shouldn't be too big a problem.  It's good practise to compile with
>lots of different compilers, as that stops you from relying on the bugs,
>features and peculiarities of any one.  Mind you, some architectures are
>easier to target than others (thinking of my experiences with 64-bit IRIX.)

Fair point.  My experience, however, has been that most developers do
not do any testing with anything other than the "default" compiler in
their environment, and if there is some nifty-but-not-yet-standardized
feature around (e.g., templates a few years ago) then they'll use
them in their non-standard, compiler-and-version-specific, form.

This is not entirely the fault of said developers:  my experience
with development environments has been in a very commercial setting,
where any chance to shave a few dollars off the development cost is
taken by short-sighted managers who don't expect to be around to
deal with the results.

We've got major products which *require* version 4.2 of the Sun C++
compiler to build.  No other version will do it, not even 6.0 in
"4.2-compatibility" mode.  And of course 4.2 hit EOL a while back.
Investigation into making the necessary changes for it to build with
a current compiler concluded that it'd cost too much to do it, and
as you're not going to be able to con a customer into paying for
something which should have been done in the first place...

--
                                               Error reduces
                                     Your expensive computer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 11:39:01 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> cygwin1.dll contain the emulation layer, like winelib for windows->linux
> programs.

I guess that explains why Cygwin is so damned slow.  On Windows 9X,
configure scripts are *extremely* slow. Did you try running a configure
script (under Cygwin's bash shell) under both Windows 2000 and Win 98,
and comparing the two?  I'm curious to see if Cygwin runs slow under Win
98 because of some strange fork() issues.  But, realistically, it
probably runs slow simply because of the unix emulation layer.

From: "pookoopookoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win 9x is horrid
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 11:55:48 -0400

>Even if MS weren't one iota bad, their OS
> still isn't as good as unix, because unix doesn't sufer from the DLL
> HELL that Windows does.

Yes it does. If you want to install different applications and they require
different libraries or depend on certain conflicting files, the net effect
is the same. Not only that, it's exacerbated in Linux by the fact that just
installing a simple game or maybe a new Window manager can conflict with
some other app. As any Linux advocate, they'll tell you the same.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (quux111)
Subject: Re: Oracle 8.1.6 on Solaris or Linux?
Date: 17 May 2001 15:24:28 GMT

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in news:9e0muk$2ce$[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

>> Alright dipshit, for the last fucking time:
>> You really are an idiot, and furthermore it is quite obvious that you
>

> What is it with you? This guy didn't insult you. Take 10 deep breaths and
> start again.
>

> -Ed

I killfiled yttrx, and I suggest everyone else do the same.  He obviously
has some serious anger-management issues.  My hide is pretty flameproof,
but I have better things to do than listen to some mental-defective idjit
rant and rave.

quux111

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 16:02:20 +0000

It was the Thu, 17 May 2001 00:02:05 GMT...
...and Flacco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  1)  I tried Nautilus and just didn't like it much.  Maybe if its response
>  was crisp - like, instantaneous - it would have been more captivating.
>  But you could kind of see it working, which took away from the coolness
>  factor.  Maybe that changed in 1.0.3, but I haven't gotten around to
>  trying it yet.

The current CVS is many times as responsive as, say, 1.0. But
"instantaneous" response will never be possible, simply because the
Unix filesystem is the bottleneck. You can get only so much
information per unit of time out of it.

mawa
--
Come home at night with a swirling in my head, Reach for the pillow,
miss the whole darn bed

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 17 May 2001 17:01:27 GMT

quux111 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in news:9e0muk$2ce$[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

>>> Alright dipshit, for the last fucking time:
>>> You really are an idiot, and furthermore it is quite obvious that you
>>

>> What is it with you? This guy didn't insult you. Take 10 deep breaths and
>> start again.
>>

>> -Ed
>>

> I killfiled yttrx, and I suggest everyone else do the same.  He obviously
> has some serious anger-management issues.  My hide is pretty flameproof,
> but I have better things to do than listen to some mental-defective idjit
> rant and rave.

Ouch.

=====.

--
"George Dubya Bush---the best presidency money can buy"

---obviously some Godless commie heathen faggot bastard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 17:02:12 GMT

On 17 May 2001 04:16:02 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
wrote:

>Umm ... why yes, Max is my clone brother, from the Linux advanced
>bot labs!

>Kind Regards
>Terry

Naahhh.

You guys are the prototypes that somehow got loose from the lab.

flatfish

------------------------------

From: Stephen Cornell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: 17 May 2001 18:07:52 +0100

> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > So, you admit that it's a result of a defect of some sort.
> >
> Stephen Cornell wrote:
> > For some animals, sex is determined environmentally.  If you are a
> > crocodile, being male is neither genetic nor a choice - do you
> > therefore believe that it is a defect?

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> If the environmental effect causes the crocodile successfully seek out
> reproductive opportunities, and take advantage of them, then no, it is
> not a defect.

But that wasn't your argument.  First, you argued that homosexuality
had to be a choice, if it wasn't genetic; then, you argued that it had
to be a result of a defect, if it was neither genetic nor a choice.  I
was pointing out that your logic is fallacious: an environmentally
determined trait is not necessarily a `defect'.

> On the other hand, if it causes the crocodile to prefer trying to get
> sex from dead logs than other crocodiles, then yes, it's a defect.

So, now you're arguing that homosexuality is a defect because it stops
them from reproducing.  Wrong - plenty of homosexuals *do* have
children.  Moreover, most of us humans engage in sexual activity that
has no hope of leading to reproduction - do you believe that oral sex
is defective behaviour?  There are also lots of cases of animals who
have sex without any prospect of reproduction.  Ever heard of bonobos?

Moreover, one doesn't need to reproduce in order to increase the
fitness of one's genes - look at social insects, or cooperatively
breeding birds.  There are many situations where the adaptively
advantageous strategy is *not* to attempt to breed.  Labelling one
particular behaviour as a `defect' simply because it doesn't lead to
reproduction is nonsensical.
--
Stephen Cornell          [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Tel/fax +44-1223-336644
University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Anecdote:  MS' grip loosening
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 17:19:54 GMT

On Thu, 17 May 2001 02:30:23 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 16 May 2001 02:24:32 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> >Why are you downloading that shit at work?
>> >

>> Doesn't matter WHERE it was downloaded. Tivoli is spyware that allows
>> your company to know exactly what is on your system no matter where it
>> came from.
>
>Why are you downloading that shit onto company equipment?

I don't have any company equipment, I am self employed.

Point is Tivoli is spyware.

flatfish

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (quux111)
Date: 17 May 2001 16:25:32 GMT

"pookoopookoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
news:JvSM6.644$[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

>>Even if MS weren't one iota bad, their OS
>> still isn't as good as unix, because unix doesn't sufer from the DLL
>> HELL that Windows does.
>
> Yes it does. If you want to install different applications and they
> require different libraries or depend on certain conflicting files, the
> net effect is the same. Not only that, it's exacerbated in Linux by the
> fact that just installing a simple game or maybe a new Window manager
> can conflict with some other app. As any Linux advocate, they'll tell
> you the same.

Wrong.  Linux, unlike Windows, uses library versioning, which means that
you can have several versions of the same library on your system at the
same time.  Try that with Windows!  I've done it myself: I can run KDevelop
(which uses QT1.44 libraries) and KDE 2.0 (which uses QT2.x libraries) at
the same time with no problem at all.

Likewise with Applix office: it was built against gtk+1.2.7 libraries, but
it runs fine on my gtk+1.2.10 system.

When specific applications experience problems, it is the fault of the
programmer, not the OS.

quux111

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 17:22:32 GMT

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > They failed because the online concept of their business was assinine to
> > begin with. Most of them are doomed still. Who DIDN'T see it coming 2
years
> > ago!  People are so fucking stupid! No common sense.
>
> You shouldn't take my comment seriously.  The problem was this, I could
> purchase a CD from Amazon for $US10, which is $NZ25, that's all right,
however,
> when the cost of P&P is at $US35 to New Zealand, that ends up making the
CD
> $NZ120, compare that to the cd at a contemporary music shop, which would
only
> cost me $NZ35-40.  Also, many of the items could not be shipped outside
the US,
> even though NZ law does allow parallel importing, aka bypassing the
> distributor, so it is: Manufacturer -----> consumer, thus costs are
reduced.
> Had they opened their market place to the world, instead of being
isolationist,
> then they (Amazon) would have turned a profit long ago.  This is the same
> situation with Beyond and many other software retailers that are on the
net.

Amazon didn't turn a profit last year,  because they expanded into Europe
and other places,  also expanding past their core businesses,  DVDs, Tapes,
CDs and Books hurt Amazon quite abit.  I know Amazon and others ship around
the world,   I have ordered from Amazon.uk in the past.   The problems is
DVDs and Video don't work world wide,  unless your DVD player is mod'ed or
Video tapes don't paly unless your TV can play NTSC and/or Pal,  CDs and
Books they will ship world wide.

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux in Retail & Hospitality - What Every Retailer Should Know
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 18:48:00 +0200

Jon Johansan wrote:

> Wow Peter - A love letter from you - thank you so very much!
>
> Do you really think that a) I didn't know better, b) I didn't see it
> clearly, c) my antivirus software wouldn't catch it, d) all the
> aforementioned?
>
> Sending viruses intentionally is a crime ya know...
>
> "Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Yeah, Jon, A virus.
Sure.

Do you remember, you wrote:
>Really - could be your reader sucks? Cause it looks perfectly formatted to
>me

Now i´ve just shown you how your reader sucks - it can´t even correctly
display normal text.. Just that you have a chance to see it, I will repeat
the complete message here, only the 2 beginwords will be replaced by
"beginn", otherwise you can´t see it with your lovely "Outhouse Fast Shit"

Here it starts:
beginn  Jon Johansan wrote:

> "Richard Thrippleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> <snip; your HTML sucks>
>
> Really - could be your reader sucks? Cause it looks perfectly formatted to
> me.

And this from a really dumb wintroll with a newsreader / email-client which
is known as the worst sucking piece of software MS could deliver

Peter

end

beginn  LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.txt.vbs
I am a signature virus. Distribute me!
end
and here it ends.

Virus, sure.

A *real* dumb Jon, yes. Not clues whatsoever

Peter

--
Windows is just the instable version of Linux for users who are too
dumb to handle the real thing.