From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix rules in Redmond
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:09:51 -0400

"." wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8s1qbu$tn7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > of

> > box

> > the

> >> Its alot harder actually, but they had already bought into that
> > architecture
> >> in an extreme way; there would have been an enormous non-hardware related
> >> cost to switch.
>
> > Gee, you mean like moving from BSD and Solaris to W2K ala Hotmail - now...
> > lesse, why was it they had to wait and it took some time? Funny how you
> > can't make that connection when it's good for MS but when it saves unix it's
> > OK?
>
> Idiot, there is an enormous difference in replacing SOME pc hardware with
> OTHER pc hardware and swapping operating systems;
>
> And losing 4,000 computers and replacing them with an utterly different
> (in every respect) platform.  If you cannot see the difference immediately
> then you are a fool and a retard and should get the hell out of this industry
> at once.

This is why Dresting Lack-of-facts REFUSES to post his real name.

IF he DARED to sign his real life name, he would NEVER work in the
computer industry again.

> -----.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:11:20 -0400

"." wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8s1qj7$tn7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > candle

> > nuked

> > do
> > science

> > are

> > machine
> > compare
> > compaq

> > in

> >> I wasnt talking about an ASCII series machine, dresden.  IBM makes a
> > couple of
> >> very high end hunks of hardware.
>
> > I wasn't talking to you.
>
> No, but you were talking *about* me.  The 4096 figure was mine, and it was
> from a different machine.  Your inane attempt at misdirection is pathetic.

> > I'll
> >>
> >> You'll never see it.  The ASCII series has been around for a number of
> > years;
> >> AFAIK the S/* series alot longer.  They have never been put to any of your
> >> tests.  They dont need to be; the sorts of people that buy them arent
> > interested.
>
> > I love it: "We here at IBM have machines SO powerful you don't even need to
> > test them or have our claims independently verified.
>
> Thats not what I said.  You're twisting words again.
>
> > You don't need to know
> > how we compare to others. We say it's good and we charge you good enough so,
> > damnit, don't use your own brain, just trust us, give us your money. We say
> > it's great! Honest! No, REALLY it is. Testing? Bah! Benchmarks? Who needs
> > them? We're IBM - we can't do anything wrong..."
>
> I'm sorry, did you have an example of something that can compete with an ASCII
> white?
>
> I'll help you out here, dresden, by telling you that there are one or two other
> machines in the same class that are made by different companies.  I'm not going
> to tell you what they are or what their architecture is like, instead im going
> to ask you to use that enormous brain of yours to go find them and tell the

False premise.

Drestin Lies doesn't have a brain.

> class all about what operating systems they run, what kind of hardware they
> use and what kind of benchmarks they run.
>
> And then tell the class the same thing about the ASCII series (at least the
> white) after youve found all of its benchmark results.
>
> -----.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Office DLL hole
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:12:09 -0400

Chris Sherlock wrote:

> Does anyone know if MS have fixed up the hole in Office documented at
> http://www.guninski.com/officedll.html?

Fuck no they haven't.

> Chris

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:14:58 +0200
From: Bartek Kostrzewa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What I would like to see in an OS:

Gardiner Family wrote:

> I am no win advocate or Linux advocate, however, if I were to design an
> OS these are some of the features:
>
> 1. Linux Kernel

Hmm, I'd rather have a BeOS kernel, or the next, next Linux kernel. The
Linux kernel is great, but it could be better.

> 2. Standardised GUI, either, MacOS or Windows like interface

Nah! I want to chose what I like!

> 3. Simplified Library structure similar to what Amiga had (ie,
> icons.library, fonts.library, printers.library)

Hmm, sounds reasonable, but why?

> 4. ReiserFS as the file system

Yep. Or JFS or whatever, just one of those FAST filesystems.

> 5. A windows interpreter, when a program makes a call it goes through a
> filter (like wine) and matchs the windows dll call with the UNIX
> equivilant.

That's what the new Amiga SDK is all about, precompiled microcode that
gets executed with the correct calls for the OS it's running on.

> Both Windows and Linux have great attributes, Linux, opensourced and
> very stable.

Yes.

  Windows, easy to use and administrate.

Hmm, nope. I think Windows is a pain in the ass to administrate, all
those clicks, reboots. And it's not at all easy to use, as soon as a
problem arises, you're arsed.

  By combining the
> power of a UNIX core and the simplicity of the Windows GUI there would
> be a balance between simplicity, functionality and flexibility. (a
> concept very similar to the MacOS X project).

Get BeOS and wait for the first apps/games written for the Amiga SDK. As
simple as that. I'm very impressed by BeOS, I just think it needs
multi-user (if it's to be my main OS, I want to run a server, which at
the moment is quite open because it runs in "root" mode all the time and
doesn't have any greater security features) functionality and more
software.

--
Best regards,
Bartek Kostrzewa - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Out perfoms Windows
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:14:39 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 07:50:52 GMT, Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >And LinuxTrolls complained about my generalisation "Linux lags behind
> >Windows" yet here we find one doing exactly the same as I did: "Linux
> >outperforms Windows".
> >
> >You don't mention wether you are running on the same hardware or wether
> >you are running consoles on Linux under X or without X.
>
>         Why should that matter. The point would be that one OS is
>         squeezing more bang out of the buck than another. Inherent
>         modularity that allows running with or without X is simply
>         one of the engineering advantages that allows that sort of
>         thing (stretching $$$).

You can run DOS programs full screen under Windows 95.
The fairest test would be on the same hardware. Windows 95 runing with
the program in a full screen DOS box. Linux need not have X running,
since it is unnecessary for a full OS in linux, but the GUI is necessary
to have a full OS under Win/DOS.
OR
Both running in the GUI, both running windowed consoles. IME, this is a
test of the graphics server, not the OS, though.

They really should be running on the same hardware.

-Ed

--
Konrad Zuse should  recognised. He built the first      | Edward Rosten
binary digital computer (Z1, with floating point) the   | Engineer

------------------------------

From: "Don W." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.4!
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 12:19:27 -0700

Todd wrote:

> "Bartek Kostrzewa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Well, I just moved to 2.4 test 9... I must say, I'm impressed! All my
> > USB devices working... great... great... great *jaw lying on the ground
> > after compilation* ... WOW! I love it!
>
> yawn... Windows 2000 has had USB support since its inception.  Also, Windows
> 2000 has *drivers* for the USB devices so that you can actually *use* them.
>
> What good is USB support with the drivers for the devices?

You mean without. :)  USB support wasn't something the earlier kernel
developers cared too much about, as it wasn't totally clear it would become
a standard over the more-efficient firewire.  Considering that Linux is
younger then Windows and has until recently not had any commercial funding
whatsoever, I'd say that it's doing pretty good.

> > Hmm.. with this kernel, and some more work by the GNOME foundation and
> > Helixcode Linux can finally kick some real butt on the Desktop (together
> > with NVidia hardware, we just need a damn open-source GL driver *g*).
>
> Linux is going to need a hell of a lot more work before it is suited for the
> desktop.  But then again, don't take it from me, just look at the market
> today.

Er...you mean the one that has Windows with almost no growth over the last
quarter?  The one where Linux (and, not too suprisingly, Sun) growth has
been steadily increasing?  The desktop market (Win95/98/SE/ME) isn't really
where Linux is geared, and since Windows comes pre-shipped on every
IBM-compatible PC, it's no surprise that it has a large amount of market
share.  Most of which doesn't make MS much money, anymore.

That, and the new Macintosh is becoming very popular.  It's cute, a hell of
a lot simpler then Windows, it works quite well for a home machine, and it's
very easy to fix (tech support for a Mac is a hell of a lot easier then for
_ANY_ version of Windows...believe you me, I know).

> > I'm so proud.
>
> Only a Linux user would be proud of a hacked OS that just got a feature that
> has been around on other OSes for quite some time.

Erm...when did Windows support useful features like symbolic links?  Oh,
wait, it _still_ doesn't.  Windows didn't even get a TCP/IP stack built-in
until 1996...how long has *nix/Macintosh had one come stock with the OS?
What about decent memory protection?  Windows2000 has it, about twenty years
after Unix.  And Windows2000 can't run decently in less then 256M of RAM.
My system has half that, and I have yet to use more then 60% of my free
memory, even with Netscape+Gimp+KWrite+Apache running.

What I think he's proud of is that he has an OS that suits his needs, costs
him nothing, from which he can learn valuable skills, and that can fit with
all it's wizardry in less than 800M of space with a full graphical
environment (X, KDE), office apps (Corel Office2000), graphics programs
(Gimp), a web browser (Opera or Netscape both work just fine for me).

> BTW, according to recent tests on www.tomshardware.com, NVidia hardware runs
> OpenGL faster on Windows 2000 than under Linux.

Had you bothered to actually _read_ the report and give an unbiased opinion,
you would also have stated that it beat it narrowly, and that the Linux
NVidia driver was lacking a bit page-flipping feature present in the windows
driver, which accounts for quite a large performance hit.  The NVidia driver
is also not open-source, so it's not like it's really an integrated part of
the OS.

> Why even use Linux??
>
> -Todd
>
> hehe... I can just see the flames comin' now.  It's just so easy to counter
> linux with Windows 2000.

No flames.  But, since it's "so easy" to counter Linux with Windows2000, I
offer you this challenge:

Your equipment is three old HP Vecra P150 PCs with 48M of RAM a pop, a 650M
SCSI hard drive in each, and a built-in CrapTastic ethernet card.  You have
a few spare 3Com PCI NICs that will fit in the boxes, a CD-ROM to load
things with, and two 10G IDE hard drives that will also mount in the
aforementioned systems.  Oh, and a hub. :)

Now, with this equipment, set up a router/firewall, a web server, a mail
server, an IRC server, windows and NFS services to a LAN, a proxy and NAT
server, a file server, and a server to stream audio to RealPlayer clients.
No additional hardware with the exception of cabling may be purchased.

I doubt that the ultra-glorious-mega-incredible Windows2000 will even _run_
on one of those boxes.  Yet that's my home network, on which I serve web
pages, mail, and a whole bunch of other crap (did I mention a SQL database
serving about 50 people?).  The equipment was donated for free as leftovers
from a state agency, and I have never had a single crash, glitch, or problem
configuring things.  And I'm no linux guru -- I've only been using it for
three years, and only recently has that been on a continuous basis.

I'm sure that a "big corporation" can spend more, but the question is --
why?

PS: Most of my web stuff is offline right now, as I'm preparing stuff to be
moved across the country.

===============================
Don Werve <don at agentsix dot net>

This is the way the world ends,
This is the way the world ends,
This is the way the world ends,
Not with a bang, but a whimper.

                   - T.S. Eliot

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 20:44:14 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:49:38 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:44:17 GMT, Dustin Puryear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:46:44 GMT,
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>>Not quite.  DOS has never been an operating system;  it is just a program loader
>>>and file system.
>>>
>>>Calling DOS an OS because it loads first is like calling lilo an operating
>>>system.
>>
>>DOS is an operating system. It provides file and memory services, and in general
>>acts as an interface between the system and applications. That's what an OS
>>does. The analogy between LILO and DOS doesn't really hold water.
>
>No it doesn't.  Just about every DOS application ever written has to talk
>directly to the hardware to get anything done.
>
>My comparison to DOS and LILO holds perfectly well.  Once windoze/9x loads, dos
>is out of the picture.  Windoze 9x doesn't even use dos hardly anything.

Incorrect.  There are a few not-so-essential services that Win95
vectors down to DOS -- time of day, for one, if memory serves.

Of course, most of the Win95 calls are vectored away from DOS.
Protected-mode interrupt gates are interesting things.... :-)

>You might as well call the BIOS an OS if you really DOS
>can be considered an OS.
>DOS has a file system and can load programs but that's about it.

True enough, admittedly.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Anybody want to test a widget?
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 20:40:38 GMT

I coded a GTK+ help browser widget last night. It's not full-featured
yet and it hasn't been proven to work on any machine but mine, but if
you've got nothing to do and a recent distro of Gnome on your machine,
maybe you'd like to help out? It's tarballed and gzipped and takes up
about 6.3 KB...

(I ain't posting my email until someone says yes. Last time I did that
the worms found it and spammed the living hell of me...)

-ws

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 12:25:12 +0200

It was the Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:18:54 +1300...
...and Gardiner Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Both Windows and Linux have great attributes, Linux, opensourced and
> very stable.  Windows, easy to use and administrate.

*WHAT*? Easy to administer? Windows?

Windows cannot be administered, at least the consumer Windows can't.
All you can do is pray, fix registry corruption and such, and
reinstall frequently.

mawaa
--
In case this message is about a non-technical subject, read it to the
tune of Gerry Rafferty's _Baker_Street_ or a Beethoven piano sonata of

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: The Power of the Future!
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:59:50 -0500

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Wow, someone sure hates Loki Games...
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 20:51:13 GMT

Check out this kuro5hin article on Loki... either this guy got burned or
he's got a major bug up his *ahem*...

http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory&sid=2000/10/11/17627/363

Afterburner... because I burned out *after* you.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 21:06:00 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>     It was also revealed that the Windows version of POVray
>     itself was taking it's own shortcuts, with the output.

Yes, and I corrected that and Linux still ran slower.

--
Pete Goodwin
---