Linux-Advocacy Digest #621, Volume #29           Thu, 12 Oct 00 20:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Wow, someone sure hates Loki Games... (David M. Butler)
  Re: Wow, someone sure hates Loki Games...
  Re: Linux Out perfoms Windows ("Nigel Feltham")
  Re: Linux Out perfoms Windows ("Nigel Feltham")
  Re: what happens when an old programmer dies? (Al Aab)
  Re: What kind of WinTroll Idiot are you anyway? ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum ("Nigel Feltham")
  Re: Linux Out perfoms Windows ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux Sucks ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum ("Nigel Feltham")
  Re: You Linux folks Just Don't Get It.... ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum ("Nigel Feltham")
  Re: Wow, someone sure hates Loki Games... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum ("Nigel Feltham")
  Re: Linux Out perfoms Windows (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? ("Weevil")
  Re: What I would like to see in an OS: (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Winvocates and Linvocates: What do you use your desktop OS for? (Shane Phelps)
  Re: End-User Alternative to Windows (Larry Ebbitt)
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? ("Weevil")

From: David M. Butler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wow, someone sure hates Loki Games...
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:18:41 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Check out this kuro5hin article on Loki... either this guy got burned or
> he's got a major bug up his *ahem*...

I think his *ahem* is indeed, rather clogged with a major bug.  Sounds like
something got screwed up with a distributor that Loki was working with, and
it was more their fault than Loki's... maybe I'm reading wrong, who knows.
Needless to say, I can almost guarantee that if I ordered every game that a
company sells, I'd feel great if I only had problems with one or two and if
it were a distributors mistake, and not the company itself.  Also sounds
like this guy's being a dumbass, and should have had the patience to wait
the extra what, 2 days?  Obviously if the problem is that his preorder was
not going to be delivered until after the release, he should have waited
until it was released (especially after they told him so...)  *shrug*  Oh
well.

D. Butler

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 21:17:36 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
news:8s587u$4dc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Check out this kuro5hin article on Loki... either this guy got burned or
> he's got a major bug up his *ahem*...
>
> http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory&sid=2000/10/11/17627/363

what?? revelant criticism it seems to me at least!

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Out perfoms Windows
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:16:17 +0100

Erik Funkenbusch wrote in message ...
>Really?  That's the best test?
>
>How about instead, I give you a budget of $10,000,000.00, including your
>time and the time of any other people involved in the project.  Now, build
>web site that will generate $1 billion dollars in revenue.
>
>How much are you saving with Linux?

Or how about building a website that generates that $1 billion dollars
revenue per year.

How much money will you waste in lost revenue whenever that MS based server
needs it's regular reboot?

Isn't it better to save the cost of the MS solution and spend it on a second
or third machine to use in a linux cluster where even in the unlikely event
of one of the linux machines going down the other 2 can carry on seamlessly
serving transactions for the few minutes it takes to bring the downed
machine back online?

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:20:49 +0100

2:1 wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> What happens if you redirect to a printer?
>>
>> claire
>
>LOL!
>
>Time to wheel out the 3000rpm drum printer to proove linux is faster.

Where will you find a windows driver for a drum printer then - Linux can
just redirect output to /dev/lpt1 but how will windows manage (does opening
lpt1 as a device still work in windows like it did in dos?).

alt.life.internet,alt.obituaries,alt.society.funerary,alt.windows98,comp.infosystems.www.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.society.futures,gnu.misc.discuss,sci.geo.satellite-nav
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Al Aab)
Subject: Re: what happens when an old programmer dies?
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:57:33 GMT

                sed/awk/perl/lex/flex/bison/...
                        programmers/scriptors
                                                never die

                they just
                                regularly
                                lose their
                                                expressions
--
=-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
al aab, ex seders moderator                                   sed u soon

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: What kind of WinTroll Idiot are you anyway?
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:44:07 -0400

Perry Pip wrote:

> >> Assuming you can count the oscilations exactly, you will have a +-0.5 error in
> >> the count.
> >
> >> Measure time in seconds with an error of less than 1E-25, and count the
> >> oscillations in 1E15 seconds.
>
> Uhm...Roberto...do you know how long 1E15 seconds is??

3.1-3.2E7 seconds per year, Hmm... That makes 3.1-3.2E7 years.

> You must
> believe in reincarnation:)

Perhaps he meant 1E-15?

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:41:18 +0100

>Chad, you're talking horseshit again. Win2K hasn't been around long
>enough to proove if it is more stable than Linux. The longest Linux
>uptimes are longer than the total life of Win2K.

There may even be Linux servers out there with uptimes longer than the total
life of NT4.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 21:51:26 GMT

You can get Windows NT drivers for an IBM 3900AFP laser printer (they
are about the size of a small car if you have never seen one) but I
don't see any Linux drivers anywhere, although they might exist.

claire

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Sucks
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:59:06 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I can't believe you are even attempting to argue support for games. I
> don't even bring games into the same sentence as Linux because it is
> pitiful.

Yeah, but what version of Windows comes with xbill?

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:57:00 +0100

>Well, when it *is* clumsy and inelegant, hopefully many would *see* it
>as clumsy and inelegant. :-)

Unfortunately a huge number of users don't know what an operating system is
or that there are alternatives to the windows that came pre-installed on
their machines - how are they going to see it as clumsy and ineligant rather
than thinking this is how all computers look?

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You Linux folks Just Don't Get It....
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:09:19 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > that Linux will take
> > > over from Windows on the desktop...C'MON!!!
> > >

> > I, for one, do. Get a reality.
>
> hehehehe...Colin...grow a brain will U?

I have one. Why don't you get a clue, you trolling moron.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 23:09:12 +0100

>Do I care? Of course not, but there are people here who seem to
>defend this lateness with the excuse "they're getting it right".
>
>Ok, reasonable argument. However, it's the same argument
>Winvocates used and Linvocates bashed and bashed and bashed
>Microsoft for.

Well if you need it before the release then just download the prerelease
test version - How can you get hold of a prerelease MS operating sytem if
you are desparate for it?

Also if you need the next MS operating system because of bugs in the
previous version rather than needing new features you are stuck waiting but
with linux you just need to get the bugfix for your current version (or you
can try to fix the bug yourself - try this with windows).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:16:06 GMT

What a jerk! Spitting on Loki only hurts the cause of getting games
ported to Linux. DUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

So he won't buy from Loki no more... WAH WAH WAH.

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 23:24:54 +0100

>In NT, you do have to be careful how you launch it.  Using the "make"
>from DJGPP causes the compiler to exit without doing anything.  It
>seems that GO32 and DOS4GW don't get along under NT4, although they
>work fine together under DOSEMU.  Go figure.

Could be because NT only runs an emulation of Dos but dosemu doesn't really
emulate dos but instead choses to emulate the PC's hardware and boot a real
copy of DOS ( like a realmode-only version of vmware) which should give
better compatibility as long as your software doesn't need to go into
extended cpu mode.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:43:52 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Where will you find a windows driver for a drum printer then

Maybe you could use the "generic/text-only" driver.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "Weevil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:30:11 -0500

D'Arcy Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:CgjF5.119$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Paul 'Z' Ewandeİ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8s44kg$ahk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > Let me get that straight to see if I understood you correctly.
>
> I have absolutly no idea if MS did any of that or not... but your logic
> is faulty:
>
> > - MS uses undocumented functions to trump competitors.
> > - Smart competitors don't use those undocumented functions.
> > - Not So Smart ones do.
>
> - MS changes their code to not use the undocumented functions
> or to cope with the changes to undocumented functions.
>

> > - MS gets rid of said undocumented functions.
> > - Not So Smart developers apps break.
> > - MS apps magically _still_ work.
>
> No... MS apps still work because they knew in advance to stop using the
> function, or that the behaviour had changed, or whatever.
>
> Now of course that would mean that older MS software couldn't run
> on newer versions of the OS (assuming it used those changed/removed
> undocumented functions).  I have no idea id that is true.
>
> ..darcy

Not exactly.  It means that MS apps would have to test what version (and
sometimes what build) they're running on.  Then they would have to test for
the existence (and/or the specific behavior) of the function in question.
If nothing has changed, proceed as before.  If the function is gone (or
different), work around it.  Pretty simple stuff, of course.

Of course, apps can't spend their time trying to test for the existence and
behavior of every function they use -- they're never make it past the splash
screen.  In order for such a scheme to be at all feasible, the app's
designers would have to somehow have inside knowledge of the OS they're
coding for, and what changes they should be on the lookout for.

jwb

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: What I would like to see in an OS:
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 23:43:43 GMT

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 12:25:12 +0200, Matthias Warkus
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Windows cannot be administered, at least the consumer Windows can't.

The last few days my NT box started getting a "Dr. Watson" when I log
in.  It was something called "tips.exe" causing the failure.  Some
digging around turned up such an app in c:\msinput\tips\mouse, part of
the Intellimouse pile.  Didn't seem to be in any of my startup folders
or anything and nothing seemed broken without it.

So I brought up regedit, searched for "tips.exe", found a likely key
deep within, and deleted it (after writing it down of course).  Problem
fixed.  I still don't know why "tips.exe" quit working, or what it was
supposed to be doing for me.  I've had the Intellimouse installed for a
couple of years with no trouble.

Is this magic or administration?  Have I screwed up my system?  How can
I tell?  How is "gramma" going to figure out this kind of problem?

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Shane Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winvocates and Linvocates: What do you use your desktop OS for?
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:17:41 +1000

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
[ snip of non-pertinant stuff ]

> > >Terminal Services (metaframe) can. with 128 bit encryption?
> >
> > Yes, running X over ssh will encrypt sessions nicely.  You even get a
> > choice of cyphers and ssh is nice enough to automatically set up the
> > display forwarding.
>
> I bet that's *REAL* speedy too... laf. If it's anything like SSL
> performance on the web server side, it'd be almost unusable.
>
> -Chad

X-forwarding works quite nicely over ssh, with very little overhead.

I'll give M$ (well, probably Citrix, really) credit though, NT
Terminal Server works fairly well. Citrix Metaframe is better.
ICA is better on a low-bandwidth connection, but neither is
terribly bad.

The downside of NTTS is that it takes out a lot more users than
astandalone NT WS or W2K Pro box when the NT Server box crashes ;-)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:48:19 -0400
From: Larry Ebbitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows

Dustin Puryear wrote:

> DOS is an operating system. It provides file and memory services, and in general
> acts as an interface between the system and applications. That's what an OS
> does. The analogy between LILO and DOS doesn't really hold water.

DOS doesn't really qualify as an OS.  It is a set of executive programs.
There are ACM definitions of Operating Systems that are fairly well
accepted and DOS falls very short on resource management and scheduling.

--
Larry Ebbitt - Linux + OS/2 - Atlanta

------------------------------

From: "Weevil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:49:10 -0500

2 + 2 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8s3sja$oau$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >Almost every sentence Silverberg wrote is a lie, has been proven to be a
> lie
> >by his own emails and memos.
>
> So let's see them.
>
> 2 + 2

Me:  Bill Gates ate a banana.

Typical Microsoft Apologists:  Oh god, here comes the fruit theory again.

Me:  It's documented history.

TMA:  Show the documentation.  Until you do, you're just blowing smoke.

Me:  Here's a private email from Bill to Steve Ballmer where he discusses
his plan to eat a banana.

TMA:  Idle talk in email.  Proves nothing.  Obviously, you don't know
anything about how executives discuss fruit in private.

Me:  Here's another email AFTER he ate the banana, telling Ballmer how good
it was.

TMA:  Hearsay.  Out of context.

Me:  What, you want a video of him eating the damn banana?  Well, not every
second of every day of his life is recorded.  You have to be able to
interpolate a LITTLE bit.

TMA:  Right.  Just as we thought.  No evidence.

Me:  Here's a lab report of Bill Gates' stomach contents the day after he
ate the banana.  Sure, you can't actually see anything that looks like a
banana in the photo because it's been obfuscated and encrypted, and Bill
drank a chemical that caused the banana remains to mutate whenever they were
observed by anyone.  But luckily, a couple of brilliant chemists were able
to detect it anyway.

TMA:  Prove it.

Me:  Here's their report.

TMA:  And here is Bill Gates' official response.

Me:  Yes, and?  He ATE THE FUCKING BANANA YOU NITWITS!

TMA:  Typical Microsoft hater.  Loses the argument, resorts to profanity and
ad hominem attacks.

Me:  Steve Ballmer ate a plum.

TMA:  Prove it.

jwb