From: "James E. Freedle II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Sucks
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 21:59:41 -0400

Yeah, I installed Linux and was impressed with the speed of the command
prompt. Of course then there was the problem that I could not do anything on
my computer. The installer left me wondering what in the hell I installed,
and more importantly not even the manual told me what I could do with Linux.
I am not geek here and I have more important things to do than mess with
trying to figure out how to use an ancient OS. Linux has it's uses, I am
sure that people can study the soures, but what they will get out of them, I
will never know. As far as the stability of Linux is concerned, it is easy
to have a stable system, just install an operating system with no useful
applications (Linux), and useful applications I mean applications that
normal everyday users will use) and have it sit there, then it will be
stable.
"Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 15:49:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>Hahahahah, only Wintroll "Linux users" like you "Steve".
> >
> >Read /. some day.
> I do all the time:)
>

> >The "leave Linux to the geek" contingent far outnumbers the "compete
> >with Win desktop" contingent.
> ???
> >
> >You need to get out more.
> Thanks for the advice :)
>

> >>Linux strengths are widespread, in both server, and desktop areas, do I
really
> >>need to give you the list again, (for the 1000 time) "Steve" ?
> >
> >How about some home user desktop strengths, excepting cost?
> You know them well enough "Steve".
>
> >Remember we are talking average Jane here, not some geek running
> >Emacs.
> I've never used Emacs.

> >>Some people need a lot of repetition "Steve", and your one of them.
> >
> >Typical for the Linonuts, like you, to compare an ancient version of
> >Windows to a current version of Linux.
> ????????????
> In 1997 when I switched to Linux full time, I had the "current" Windows on
my
> pc, I replaced it with the then "current" Linux version, its *still* on my
pc.
> Yes ..... "Steve", I'm still hassling you 3 years later, with the *same*
Linux
> version I installed in 1997, same hard disk, same everything.
>
> You in the mean time have "upgraded" how many times ???
>
> My total cost has been $6.50, for the origonal Cheapbytes Linux CD.
>

> >At least I am running a current version of Linux.
> >Mandrake 7.1, soon to be 7.2 if you will.
> Well I'm sure you're proud of your new toy, does it fool any long time
Linux
> [...]
>
> Its a dream, and the PS cababiliy makes it a breeze to use with Linux. Oh
btw
> "Steve" were you aware that the Mac has always used PS as a printer
language ?

> Steve is still pissed of the $90 Cannon "special" he bought has problems
> with Linux. Ah well, we live and learn dont we "Steve" ?
>

> >>Shes a user, plain and simple, its using Win98 she hates!
> >
> >I'll bet if you put her in front of 2 machines one running Win95 and
> >the other running Win98 she wouldn't even know the difference.
> Ill get back to you on thet one, Wintroll.

> >>Nope, and shes back home using her Windows98 box again, it was my Linux
> >>pc she used for 4 weeks. All I did was create a account for her, and let
her
> >>choose from one of 4 window managers on my system (she chose XFWM),
after that
> >>she used the system easily.
> >
> >I think you are FOS... just by the fact that you say she chose XFWM..
> >What were the other 3 choices?
> Opps I meant Xfce
>
> 2/Windowmaker
> 3/Blackbox
> 4/flwm
>
> Just for your interest, Xfce ,Blackbox and flwm have had new versions
> released since then :)
>

> >>Yes I do, Linux is an excellent desltop system imho.
> >
> >Maybe for you..
> Definetly for me!
>

> >>A meaningless statement, from the Wintroll "Steve".
> >
> >So what have you said so far?
> The same old stuff, like you :)
>

> >A summary:
> >
> >I had a lady friend stay with me for four weeks and since I didn't
> >have a Windows PC available for her to use, she was forced to use my
> >Linux PC. And of course she loved it beyond her wildest imaginations.
> >Now she is home and back with her miserable Win98 pc..Booo hooo!
> Hahahahah, thats more like it "Steve", your humour is cool when you try!

> >>Please "Steve" at least put a *little* effort into this ??
> >
> >>* More effort to do less of what ?
> >
> >Browsing for one.
> hahahahahahah!!!!
> If Windows users tried Lynx, theyd be blown away by the speed as compared
> Exploders sluglish bloated performance.
>
> >Plug ins that websites require that don't work with Netscape for
> What type of plug ins, mortage calculators, pornview ?
>
> >Linux.
> >Waiting until someone out of the goodness of their heart writes a
> >driver for your hardware.
> Or you can use the brain in your head (im assuming you have one) and avail
> yourself with all the FREE Linux tools, and write your own ?
>
> Or you can pay someone to do it (you did anyway when you bought that pile
> of Cannon junk).
>
> Or you can use the Linux drivers thhat exist for most hardware that isnt
> *closed* and *bleeding edge*, ie too new to reverse engineer.
>
> >Etc..
> >>Hahahahah, how much effort was required to earn the money to purchase
Windows,

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:00:17 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why the Linonuts fear me

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The truth sometimes hurts.

Yep, you are right.  You should get use to it.

> Get used to it, because it isn't going away.

Right, again.  Linux is not going away.

> And neither am I.

That's simply because you were gone ages ago.

> I intend to be Linux's worst enemy.

Ah, yes.   The truth comes out.  All that talk about how good Linux is (for
servers) and now we know you were just pulling our leg.

> and judging by the responses here I am succeeding quite well.

You have failed miserably.  And what is worse - you don't even realize it.

Gary

------------------------------

From: "James E. Freedle II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft kicked off the Web!
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:07:41 -0400

You know I think that it is kind of funny that Windows NT Administrators get
paid more than UNIX Administrators :)
Also it is completely false that Windows (Any Version) is harder to
administer that UNIX. Actually it is the other way around. Of course that
all depends on who you ask. If somebody has been trained in administering
UNIX, they will resist with tooth and nail to learning to administer
Windows.
"Otto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:QBrG5.27341$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Dave Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:1LmG5.2924$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> :
> :  I don't buy that "easy to use" stuff for technical types.  If you
factor
> in
> : how much effort that goes into keeping "MS-Windows" going, and compare
it
> : learning a real OS, they are about the same.  But the payback comes two
> : ways, first - you have time to move your business ahead instead of doing
> : "reboot", "patch" and "security" while loops and second: you can use
Linux
> : knowledge on HP-UX, Sun, UnixWare, SCO, Iris, AIX, and a host of others.
> : From a career perspective, it is vendor independent knowledge and pays
> : better. McWindows, like McDonalds burgers, are quick but you get less.
>
> Wether you buy the "easy to use" stuff or not, it does not change the
facts.
> I can't comment on the "McWindows", never heard of such an OS. However, to
> build up and learn a Linux system does take considerable amount of time,
not
> to mention the software installation routines on Linux.
> OS does not move businesses forward, it can however aid that direction,
but
> it won't do it by itself. Not to mention the fact that some of the OSs
don't
> support business programs. That in itself limits the choices. There are
> times when people only need a McDonalds burger, they could probably get
more
> at the next door in a fancy restaurant, but they elect to get the burger.
Go
> figure...
>
> :
> :  I would rather spend my time learning and moving the business ahead
than
> : fixing and futzing.  From an end user perspective, there are far less
> : problems with stable versions of Linux than with McWindows.  As the
> techi's
> : crunch out better and better software for Linux, more and more end users
> : will use it.
>
> You are not saying that there is some "not so stable version of Linux",
are
> you :)?
>
> :
> :  It is inevitable as the industry matures to shift to a xNIX as the real
> : professionals will learn more... and our clients will like the
reliability
> : and stability.  The only thing that keeps NT afloat is that where else
do
> : you know you can flip burgers on Tuesday and be a NT admin on Friday.
As

------------------------------

From: Neil W Rickert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux?
Date: 15 Oct 2000 21:20:08 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the Linux world that will 100 percent
>emulate MSOffice. Nothing at all.

That is exactly why one should *refuse* to accept MSOffice
documents.  It is a Faustian bargain.  Use it, and you sell your
soul to the Microsoft devil.

Demand *open* public standards for any document format you use.

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:26:49 -0400

"Weevil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:D8sG5.41960$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Said JS/PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> > >    [...]
> agreement.
> > Get
> > >
> > > Perhaps you misread the facts presented, which was that there was a
> > > requirement to agree to ppl, or MS would make Win/DOS too expensive
for
> > > the OEM to remain competitive for those large number of customers that
> > > currently use Windows (not realizing how crappy a system it is, and
> > > believing MS's hype-machine/marketing).
> >
> > Name the price difference and I'll explain to you the significance of
your
> > ignorance.
> > Ohh...whats that? You don't have a clue what the prices were, let alone
> the
> > differences?
>
> "Opus agreement has finally been signed by Redmond. Another DRI prospect
> bites the dust with a per processor DOS agreement."
> -- Microsoft OEM Status Report, October 1990
>
> Just to set the tone, JS.  There has never been any question as to what
the
> per processor agreements were all about.  It was to destroy competition.
>
> As for prices...
>
> In a contract Microsoft got Commodore Business Machines to sign in 1990,
the
> price structure for a per processor license was as follows:
>
> 8086  - $6
> 80286 - $10
> 80386 - $16
> 80486 - $16
>
> This came out to a weighted average of $8.22.  At the time, Commodore was
> paying $11, so this was a nice break for them.  However, Microsoft then
> informed them that without the per processor agreement, they would be
> charged a flat $30 per copy, regardless of processor.
>
> Naturally, Commodore signed.

$30.00 on a $2500.00 PC isn't exactly what I'd call a make or break amount.
If what you say is true a $19.00 hike in what they were paying wouldn't be a
burden of any consequence (8/10ths of a percent of the cost of a typical
system).

> This scenario was repeated over and over with the large OEMs of the time.
> It's all there in publically available court documents.  A lot of it is
> online.

> > If there ever were a "requirement"  to purchase the per processor
license,
> > wouldn't MS have been selling it to ALL (100%) OEM's instead of 0-40%
over
> > three year period?
>
> The didn't target the little guys back then.  It wasn't worth it.  They
went
> after the big accounts, and most especially the big accounts that had
begun
> selling DR DOS systems.
>
> > Proof shall set you free, liar.
> >

> How do you find the energy to go on in the face of all this evidence?  I
> hope someone is paying you well.
>
> On the other hand, your behavior tends to paint Windows advocates with an
> ugly brush, so you're actually doing a tiny amount of harm to Microsoft in
> terms of PR.

<paste>

Microsoft began offering per processor licenses at some point in the late
1980s at the request of OEMs who wanted to simplify the administration of
their per system licenses. (Kempin FTC Testimony (Exh. 9) at 96-97; Hosogi
Dep. (Exh. 8) at 27-28; Lum Dep. (Exh. 6) at 82; Fade Dep. (Exh. 7) at
103-07.) Because OEMs generally change microprocessors much less frequently
than they change other components of their systems, a per processor license
decreased the number of contract amendments that had been necessary under a
per system license due to system changes. (Kempin FTC Testimony (Exh. 9) at
96-97; Hosogi Dep. (Exh. 8) at 27-28; Fade Dep. (Exh. 7) at 103-06.)
Another reason that Microsoft offered per processor licenses was to reduce
piracy. (Gates 10/27/97 Dep. (Exh. 2) at 46-48; Fade Dep. (Exh. 7) at 175.)
Per processor licenses reduced piracy at the OEM level by allowing Microsoft
to monitor the number of computers shipped by the OEM rather than monitoring
the various system designations created by the OEM. (See Gates 10/27/97 Dep.
(Exh. 2) at 50-51.) Per processor licenses further reduced piracy at the
end-user level by discouraging the shipment of "naked" machines, which
encouraged the installation of a counterfeit operating system. (See Gates
10/27/97 Dep. (Exh. 2) at 46-50; Hosogi Dep. (Exh. 8) at 33-35.)
Although per processor licenses generally obligated the OEM to pay a royalty
on every machine shipped containing a particular processor, Microsoft
negotiated exceptions with at least twenty-seven OEMs to allow those OEMs to
ship up to ten percent of their machines containing particular processor
types without paying royalties on those machines. (See Kempin FTC Testimony
(Exh. 9) at 104-05; Lum Dep. (Exh. 6) at 92; Apple Dep. (Exh. 10) at 23-24;
Microsoft's Second Response to Department of Justice Civil Investigative
Demand No. 10300 (excerpts attached as Exh. 21) at C001309-11.) Other OEMs
with no such exception in their per processor licenses nonetheless offered
non-Microsoft operating systems with their computers during the term of
their per processor licenses. (See, e.g., Fade Dep. (Exh. 7) at 111-13;
Roberts DOJ Decl. (Exh. 11) at C005864; Lieven Dep. (Exh. 12) at 187.)
OEMs could avoid whatever "restriction" was purportedly inherent in a per
processor license simply by opting for a per system license and designating
a unique model for machines to be shipped with an operating system other
than MS-DOS. (Kempin FTC Testimony (Exh. 9) at 94-95, 212-13.) Moreover,
OEMs could license competing operating systems for new models or processor
lines as the OEM introduced them. (Kempin FTC Testimony (Exh. 9) at 81,
85-87.)
The relatively minor suggested price differentials in Microsoft's internal
price guidelines between per system and per processor licenses varied over
time. [REDACTED]

</paste>

> If you really are one of the handful of people Microsoft pays to
anonymously
> advocate for them, I expect you'll be getting a pink slip pretty soon.

Think about it. It's much more likely that MS competitors pay people to post
anti-ms FUD on usenet. Do you get paid per post?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:32:46 -0400
From: unicat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why does Linux have to be such a pain to install? - A speech

Why stop there, why not throw in a 21" monitor, and you could almost reach the
price of
Windoze+Orifice 2000.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:30:38 -0400
From: unicat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Two other things:
1) On Windoze systems, reformatting the hard drive is often easier than trying
to hunt down
all the errors that have crept into a bad Win-install.
2) Who cares anyway, this isn't the point of either the origianl question or the
original answer.
It was about installing RH 6.2. Any references to windoze were just color
commentary.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 75E48FC8 Visio for Linux
Date: Sun,15 Oct 2000 21:52:18+2000

  Announcing complete new universal drafting program for Linux, FreeBSD, and Sun
Solaris.

        LinuxCAD release for FreeBSD, a native FreeBSD build , not an emulation !!!

                     the details to be found on

                         WWW.LINUXCAD.COM

   Now version 2.26 that has many added features is ready to ship and download.
      Useful for preparing any kind of visual diagramming presentation
        for any industry or knowledge field, creation of illustrations for books
      and reports.

     LinuxCAD is more Visual Language for Business then Microsoft Visio ever was !!!
  Initially introduced in 1995  LinuxCAD today is very powerful and rock stable
application program for Linux.

  The software comes with more than 1500
symbols that allows to use L i n u x C A D as a replacement for such diagramming
tool as Microsoft Visio. That is absolutely right LinuxCAD is more convenient then
Visio
and can be used to replace Microsoft Power Point as well.
   LinuxCAD provides features of such programs as AutoCAD, Visio, Power Point
and Corel Draw in a single program for Linux.
   linux cad can be used in:
       organizational charts ,
       business process diagramms,
       information network and computer system diagrams,
-->    software development flowcharting ,
-->    entity relationship diagramming,
       network planning,
       system administration diagramming and you actually can start
       your sysadmin tasks from inside linux cad,
-->    mechanical engineering drafting,
       pcb and schematic design ( easily integrated with routing programs ),
       geographicsl information systems,
       any kind of drafting where integration with database is important,
       floor plans for buildings and facilities,
-->    architectural drafting,
       front end for programmable rendering systems like opengl,
-->    front end for any software that may require graphics editor functions,
       can be used to replace acad in every application later is used !!!
       can be used to replace visio diagramming tool in every application later is
used !!!
  This message posted in single instance and it is not a spam.
Software Forge Inc.
( developers of the most advanced application software for Linux OS ).
   847 891 5971

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 02:45:20 GMT

Becuase a data entry clerk does not know S*HT about the workins of the
working of a compurter. Wo, you've been a dataentry clerk for years.
>From what Iv'e seen you don't know much about computers or getting along
with people. Come in here ad insult everyone in the group and then wine
when every one inslult wou back.

c'ya later data clerk.