  Re: Microsoft gets hard (Matthew Gardiner)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 18 April 2001 NYLUG Meeting: David Sweet on KDE
Development and Andamooka
Date: 18 Apr 2001 00:17:22 -0400

  edit-level="light">

        *** New York Linux Users Group April 2001 Meeting ***
                         - NYLUG.org -

                KDE 2.0 Development & Andamooka

                   Presented by David Sweet

4/18/2001
Wednesday
6:30pm-8:00pm
IBM Headquarters Building
590 Madison Avenue at 57th Street
Check in at lobby for badge and room number

David Sweet, Physicist, hacker, author, and KDE enthusiast, will be
giving a technical talk about some of the machinery under the hood of
KDE 2.1, starting with a quick overview of the new subsystems of
KDE 2.0: KParts (including Konqueror plugins), DCOP, aRts, KHTML,
KIOSlaves, and XMLGUI.
http://www.andamooka.org/~dsweet/
http://kde.org

David will then give a more in-depth KIOSlaves programming example;
this will be the bulk of the talk.

The last part of the talk will be about David's new book KDE 2.0
Development, and Andamooka, a collection of support/development
communities for Open Content/GFDL books, which hosts open content
books for reading, annotation, and discussion.
http://kde20development.andamooka.org
http://andamooka.org
http://www.opencontent.org/
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

Macmillan/SAMS has provided David with 10 copies of KDE 2.0 Development
to give away at this meeting.

More About David Sweet...

When he's not busy studying Flyswatter, David is a KDE contributor,
the lead author of the Open Content book KDE 2.0 Development, the author
of KSpell, and the founder of Andamooka,the open content library.
http://webs1152.im1.net/~dsweet/StaggerStep/
http://andamooka.org/

Stammtisch:
And then after the meeting... Join us around 8:15pm or so at the Typhoon
Brewery & Restaurant located at 22 East 54th Street between Madison and
5th Aves. Note - We don't find out until the day of the meeting if we have
the back room.
http://www.typhoonbrewery.com/

Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
version of this announcement, complete with graphics and additional
hyperlinks to related information.

April 2001 - The New York Linux Users Group, NYLUG.org

Jim Gleason               VA Linux Systems
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.valinux.com
phone: 212-858-7684       President, New York Linux Users Group
fax: 212-858-7685         http://www.nylug.org

Distributed poC TINC:

Jay Sulzberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: 17 Apr 2001 23:08:13 -0500

On 18 Apr 2001 00:44:51 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Chad Everett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>>You said clearly that killing in an act of war is not murder. Did you not?
>>>That is exactly the same as saying that murder does not include killing
>>>in acts of war.
>>
>>No I didn't say that either.  You really seem to have trouble comprehending
>>what is written.  I said:
>>
>>"Is killing as an act of war murder? no  Can murder be commited during
>>war?: yes"  Look carefully at the differences between what I said and what
>>you claim I said.
>
>You said "A and B". That means you said "A" and it means you said "B".
>I am not interested in "B". I tell you you said "A".

Take a deep breath...learn to read...and see that you didn't even get A
right.

(hint) In english: 'as' and 'in' have entirely different meanings.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.arch
From: Tim Tyler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: .NET, JIT, IA64
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 04:12:42 GMT

In comp.lang.java.advocacy George Coulouris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[HP's "Dynamo"]

: [1] http://www.hpl.hp.com/cambridge/projects/Dynamo/

It appears that their server process has died on them - since all the
links on that page are dead.
--
__________

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: 17 Apr 2001 23:11:52 -0500

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:28:40 GMT, Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I see the same thing. But NT is not often used where it could, due
>either a crash or lack of timeliness, do any damage to the work process.
>I have seem it tried several times. One crash shut down a process line
>permitting liquid nylon to harden in pipes and valves. 15 minutes off
>line cost several hundreds of thousands of dollars. Another caused
>disruption of a refinery operation. It took several days to get the
>plant cleaned up and back on line.
>
>I build SCADA system also. Several US cities are running systems I
>designed. But if the operator displays fail, the A-B PLCs and
>specialized computers will still run everything OK. The operator, just
>has to run around to check local controls like he did before the
>computers were installed.

Man..that ladder logic is the wierdest way to program I've ever seen.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Why left-wing communist assholes hate Reagan.  (was Re:     Communism,
Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.)
Date: 17 Apr 2001 23:15:29 -0500

On 18 Apr 2001 02:53:57 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:12:30 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>>>

>> Actually, they still do.  They use a front-end loader, and dump a couple
>> of tons of rock on the condemned.
>>
>> It's quite instantaneous.
>
>Read the URL.
>

>>> On Women's rights:
>>>
>>> It's amusing that you suggest that women there are treated better -- they can't
>>> drive, and can't go anywhere without a mans permission. THey can't pursue
>>> a career of choice. Read it and weep ...
>>
>> Crimes against women are FAR lower...primarily because women there
>> don't go around pretending to be men.
>
>Yeah, I suppose driving a car, or going out without a male relative, or
>not wearing correct muslim attire, or work is "pretending to be a man".
>Just out of curiosity, do you impose these sorts of restrictions on your
>girlfriend ?
>
>You pretend to be such a passionate advocate of freedom, but now you are
>showing your true colors by coming clean with the fact that think that
>only men are entitled to any freedom at all (and even the men have fairly
>limited freedom, apart from freedom to rape and beat their wives and
>servants)
>
>As for crimes against women being lower, it's a contentious claim. First,
>if women in the US never went out without an accompanying male relative,
>I suppose crimes against women would decrease.

Sounds bad.  And just think, there are countries that are worse than this
for both sexes.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Am I ****? HP Photosmart C500 and Win 2000
Date: 17 Apr 2001 23:20:59 -0500

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 19:14:59 -0400, Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Todd Morrison wrote:
>>
>> It's a good thing you have chosen not to reproduce.
>>
>> Your lack of compassion and responsibility would probably result in your
>> offspring building pipe bombs to get your attention.
>
>Usenet is an ADULT forum.  Kids have no business being on usenet.  Don't
>tell me you're all for outlawing bachelor parties and poker games
>because some idiot parent's kid might wander in there and hear something
>he/she shouldn't?
>
>If any parent had a brain, they'd keep their kids out of usenet, or
>monitor what they are doing.  It's not OUR responsibility to babysit
>your kid, it's YOURS.

And what about computers in public libraries?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: 17 Apr 2001 23:26:55 -0500

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:10:51 GMT, Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>After six years of Windows and one GPF too many, I bought Redhat7 and
>installed it.  I expected a learning curve, but nothing like I ended up
>with.
>
>I got my cable modem, printer, cdrom drives, and daily programs going, and
>it took me endless hours - most of them spent trying to fix my display
>resolution, only to find out the config file was XF86config-4 and not
>XF86config.  How the hell was I supposed to know that?

What happened when you ran Xconfigurator?

>Then I started tackling my digital camera.  I followed all the howtos I
>could find - no joy.  And I still dealt with crappy looking fonts on my web
>browsers.  And that's when I decided to throw in the towel.

You are putting fonts on your web pages with your digital camera?

>After wasting 2 solid weeks of vacation time accomplishing half of what I
>could do in a few hours under windows (even with the crashes and GPFs) I
>wiped my hard drive slick and threw on Windows ME.
>
>So my question is, for the home user, what's the point?  Has anyone learned
>Linux from the ground up just to use it at home?  What's the advantage?  I'm
>convinced Linux is great if you want to run a server or whatever, but is
>there a point in home users running Linux?

Yes.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Who votes for Sliverdick to be executed: AYEs:9 NAYS:0 (1 ABSTAIN)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:55:07 -0400

"Gunner ©" wrote:

> >> I'm not registered to vote in this precinct, but since I'm a registered
> >> Democrat does that matter?  <G>
> >>

> >Since Democrats don't care about such niceties, you are allowed
> >to vote AYE in the election, regardless of where you live.
> >

> In fact Sue... you can even vote  more than once. Feel free to fill out
> the form in your hometown, and again while visiting Fresno.

In the spirit of the Democrat Party, I'll make that 5 AYEs for Sue
4 in her home town, and one in Fresno.

AYE:     9
NAY:     0
ABSTAIN: 1

When, oh when, will Professor Erb come to rescue his beloved Sliverdick?

> Gunner
>
> ""The greatest evil is conceived and ordered (moved, seconded, carried and minuted)
>  in clean, carpeted, warmed and well-lighted offices...like the
> bureaucracy of a police state or a thoroughly nasty business concern."
> C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (silverback)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 03:27:39 GMT

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 03:25:19 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael
Ejercito) wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 23:26:20 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>(silverback) wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:31:34 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>MURDERED?  Millions of their own populace? really?
>>>
>>>Do tell.
>>>
>>>Accuracy counts, so be precise.
>>>

>>sure 100K killed on the job yearly
>   Proof? And ebign killed on the job is usually not murder.

it sure the fuck is if there were violations of safety standards. And
then we can add millions more each year for the ones dying of
occupational diseases or cancer from exposure to cancer causing agents
at work.

> Michael
>

> Michael

GDY Weasel
emailers remove the spam buster

For those seeking enlightenment visit the White Rose at

http://www.spiritone.com/~gdy52150/whiterose.htm

From: "Alexander Nosenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Perl and Tcl/Tk: How important are they?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:28:43 +0400

"Bryant Charleston, MCSE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> 1) Should I skip these and continue to learn and master the basic CLI
> commands FIRST, or learn them along w/the CLI?

First, learn a dozen of CLI commands, just don't spend much time on  shell
scripting. Then learn basics of Perl/Tcl. Then choose shell scripting or
Perl/Tcl according to taste.

> 2) Which of these scripting languages are the most important?

Perl is much more widely used. Tcl is simpler and has excellent GUI (Perl
GUI is really an embedded Tcl/Tk!) If you need a substitute for CLI shell
scripting, use Perl. To write simple but pretty (and highly functional)
GUIsh demos, use Tcl/Tk. It's really a matter of taste.

> 3) Are there other important scripting languages that are also widely used
> that I should be aware of?

Python is gaining momentum very fast. Highly recommended.

--
Regards,
Alexander Nosenko

nae at cr dot cyco dot com

------------------------------

From: "Alexander Nosenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:31:24 +0400

"Charles Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote > Most important : PERL. I
use it to do internet stuff, and to run
> simulations under NT. Works everywhere. Better under *nix, though.

Tcl is cross-platform too, with an additional advantages of having the same
GUI on *nix and Windows and full Unicode support (not in Perl yet).

Alexander Nosenko

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:30:32 +1200

Eric wrote:

> After six years of Windows and one GPF too many, I bought Redhat7 and
> installed it.  I expected a learning curve, but nothing like I ended up
> with.

Well, good for you.  I Moved from my Amiga 500 to a Pentium 75, then
quickly moved to Linux. At that point, I wouldn't exactly say I was a
genius to any stretch of the imagination, but atleast I could get Linux
up and running!

> I got my cable modem, printer, cdrom drives, and daily programs going, and
> it took me endless hours - most of them spent trying to fix my display
> resolution, only to find out the config file was XF86config-4 and not
> XF86config.  How the hell was I supposed to know that?

Why edit a file? Drop into command line, type su, if you are in a user
account, then your password.  Once logged in, type setup then enter, and
select X Configuration from the menu.

> Then I started tackling my digital camera.  I followed all the howtos I
> could find - no joy.  And I still dealt with crappy looking fonts on my web
> browsers.  And that's when I decided to throw in the towel.

Who cares? Netscape still uses the Poscript fonts by default.  If you
use Mozilla, the fonts aren't crappy.

> After wasting 2 solid weeks of vacation time accomplishing half of what I
> could do in a few hours under windows (even with the crashes and GPFs) I
> wiped my hard drive slick and threw on Windows ME.
>
> So my question is, for the home user, what's the point?  Has anyone learned
> Linux from the ground up just to use it at home?  What's the advantage?  I'm
> convinced Linux is great if you want to run a server or whatever, but is
> there a point in home users running Linux?
>
> thanks - eric

So you try one Linux distro then throw your hands up in disgust. That
would be like me grabbing a copy of Windows 3.0, trying to get it
running on a Pentium III then bitch and moan because my USB ports aren't
work'in. I have SuSE Linux 7.1 Pro running, and de-uglification was
already done for me.  Netscape 4.76 shows the fonts nicely, all my add
ons work perfectly.  Maybe you should actually get an education and read
some books before making broad sweeping statements on issues you have no
experience in.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Mafia$oft incompetance on display..
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:35:03 +1200

<snype>

A couple of IBM s/900z Mainframes would be able to handle that load
without any problems.

Matthew Gardiner

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hmm getting tired of this!
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:41:51 +1200

<snype>

I was simply pointing out that if a party were to allign themselves with
large corporations and multi-nationals, they come across as
pro-large-business, thus make it look like they care more about business
than about the people.  Very much like the Labour vs. Tory debate that
happens in the UK.

Matthew Gardiner

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Microsoft gets hard
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:46:43 +1200

<snype>
> I do things which truly astound and bill for it.

Admin NT servers, the most astound things? my guess, getting them to
stay up for longer than one week whilst maintaining the same throughput.

Answer the question sonny. Until you start admining s/900z, s/390, and
clusters of UNIX servers, I suggest that you should keep your trap shut.

Matthew Gardiner