From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:07:06 +0200

> Said Nigel Feltham in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 4 Dec 2000 23:37:56
> >
> >Of course if he had installed on a reiserfs partition then fschk will
never need
> >to be used - well worth using reiserfs when machines may be switched off
> >without being shut down properly (or where power failure is common).
>
> Or you're a moron, which includes me, so please tell me more.  I've
> never heard of this 'reiserfs'.  I'm dying to find out what it stands
> for.  What's the downside?

It's supposed to be the new FS to replace ext2.
AFAIK, most linux dist can now use it, but default to ext2.
The downside of it is that it's a new FS, which is the most critical part of
the computer, and has yet to be thourghfully tested and debug.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:11:28 +0200

> Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 6 Dec 2000 01:06:09

> >> Obviously, these are things to praise, as X has increased its keyboard
> >> support significantly and all apps generally adopt the standard GUI app
> >> layout, MDI interface.  (Windows supports many more 'real world'
> >> interfaces that break this method than most Unix systems.)
> >
> >Actually, that is technically incorrect.
>
> I'm sorry, Ayende, but I know for a fact you haven't the ability to
> correct me on what is technically correct or not.

That is obvious, you lack the basic knowledge to understand what I'm
correcting.

> >It's *much* more easier to use Windows' builtin controls to do GUI, then
> >design your own *real world* interfaces.
>
> Yes nevertheless, Windows supports many more 'real world' interfaces
> that break this method than most Unix systems.  Perhaps you missed
> understood the verb 'supports' in the context of my statement?

Any GUI can be manipulated to simulate real world objects.
Windows has much more applications, therefor, so would be the real world
interfacecs programs.
I provided an example that this can be done in any OS, which you choose to
ignore.
You lack basic understanding in how to create GUI, apperantely.

> >BTW, there is nothing that prevents you from doing this on any OS that
you
> >want.
> >QT4 is the (sad) proof of that.
>
> Gotta take a cut, eh?  You're proving to be a Windroid, Ayende.

How does this has to do with anything?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:24:57 +0200

"Anonymous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 4 Dec 2000 13:27:01
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 3 Dec 2000 00:36:39

> >> And as I've explained (quoted below), this does cause the kind of
> >> problems you're addressing.  And they're *Microsoft's* problems, since
> >> the app isn't supposed to have to be re-written to work on NT.
> >
> >It doesn't need to be re-written for NT.
> >It need to be written correctly the first tim.
>
> Even if it was written for WinDOS?  Years before MS shoved NT down
> everyone's throat as a desktop OS?

If it was written to dos, it doesn't use the registry, so yes.
If it was written to win9x, it uses the registry and need to use it
*correctly*.
This guidelines has been published long ago.

> >> Had Microsoft provided some method of setting machine-wide
configuration
> >> settings without running aground of permissions, this problem wouldn't
> >> occur.
> >
> >Pardon?
> >You don't *want* anybody to be able to set a machine wide configuration!
>
> Sorry, charlie.  Sometimes you do.  Even in a real multi-user system (in
> comparison to NT, which merely pretends).

No, I *don't* want this to happen.
I want only those I autorized to do so, and in this case, I'll delegate
permissions.
I don't want anybody to be able to set machine wide configuration.

> >That is whole *point* in permissions.
> >That nobody except the administrator can set a machine wide
configuration!

> No, that's not the point in permissions.  The point in permissions is
> that the administrator can determine what is the machine's
> configuration, not the application configuration.  This isn't a host
> we're talking about; its a desktop or a workstation or a server, not all
> three or any one, like a Unix system.  (:-D  I'm just funnin' with ya'.)

NT is a workstation/desktop/server.
And you are wrong, applications configuration is part of the machine's
configuration.
You want a situation where anybody will have access to anything, I fail to
even begin to understand why you want such a situation.

> >> I concur.  But that's a failure of WinDOS that you're just going to
have
> >> to deal with.
> >
> >No, it's not.
>    [...]
> >If I log on as a different user on purpose, I *expect* to get different
user
> >settings, and that is what I get.
>
> Unless you don't, or you do want to, and don't get it.  Whichever.

No, I'll always get this on a properlly written program.
IE, one that uses the HKCU for user spesific settings.

> >No!
> >If it's a user spesific settings, they belong in the HKCU, because they
> >*are* user *spesific*, which mean that each user should have its own.
>
> You do realize that this is entirely correct, but useless, don't you?
> In a desktop environment, it is not a clear call whether any one
> arbitrary application configuration setting should be system-wide or
> user-wide.  Yes, often app developers get it wrong.  Sometimes the OS
> makes their job tough.  Sometimes they botch it on any OS.  None of this
> makes the registry make sense, or be the reason the problem isn't more
> easily solved, when it occurs.  It hardly ever occurs on Unix, so that's
> pretty much all that needs to be said.

Show me those settings that can't be clearly defined as HKCU or HKLM and
needed to be update by anyone.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:25:46 +0200

"Anonymous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 4 Dec 2000 13:03:28
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 3 Dec 2000 00:09:31
> >>    [...]
> >>
> >> But you don't get it in return if you copyright it and wrap it in a
> >> trade secret, either.  Whatever it is you do make money on has to cover
> >> the cost of developing, either way.  Your argument is specious.
> >
> >Yes you do.
>
> No, you get money selling licenses, not developing software.

Pedantic, you develop software which you later sell licenses to.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:43:06 +0200

"Goldhammer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:MWgX5.57779$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 05 Dec 2000 22:48:31 GMT, JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:55:16 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> > ("Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
> >

> >>"Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >>news:Bd8X5.4365$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >>It can most certainly edit text.
> >>Why do you claim that it can't edit text?
> >
> >OK, it can barely edit text, but that's about it. For Christ's sake,
> >there are less than 10 shortcut keys in the whole thing! You can't
> >even use Ctrl+S to save. It's a good job I've got emacs for Windows.

Ctrl+S - Save
Ctrl+N - New
Ctrl+O - Open
Ctrl+P - Print
Ctrl+F - Find
F3 - Find next
Ctrl+H - Replace
Ctrl+G - Go To
Ctrl+A - Select All
F5 - Enter Time & Date

Exactly 10 shortcuts key. :)

> And here the MS advocates may choose to respond: "but the average
> Joe User doesn't need shortcut keys..." or some such drivel.

He does and there are in my notepad (win2000) there aren't on the 9x notepad
.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 10:02:53 GMT

In article <90jtht$1ajp2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You need to get the drivers for your monitor, which should fix it.

That's not the problem. Occaisonally, Windows seems to "forget" that
setting and you have to install the 'driver' for the monitor again.

--
---
Pete

From: Tore Lund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 11:19:47 +0100

Bill Vermillion wrote:

> One of the reasons that Wang - one of the early word processor
> manufacturers - had all the function keys on the top of the
> keyboard - and like so many editor have a this - as that it was
> designed for people who used typewriters.

Did they ever try another approach?  I doubt that very strongly.  They
just dumbed down their user interface in order to play safe.

> Many people have a hard time adjust to modal editors just because
> of this.  If I press 'i' I either get 'i' on the screen or
> I'm placed in 'insert' mode if had pressed Escacpe to enter command
> mode.

Some indicator that showed which mode you are in would have been a
help.  The lack of things like that in vi is, well, fairly typical of
programmers.

> vi being modal means you never have to remove you keys from the
> keyboard - and that is one argument I hear against vi.  Modal
> editors are almost a natural fit for programmers, and go against
> everything a person has ever learned if they came from the
> typewriter school way of thinking.

I am not so sure about that.  I went to a typewriter school, and I was
downright furious when the cursor key pad was introduced.  Much better
to have a scheme where you did not have to take your hands off the home
rows.  I am sure plenty of other touch typists felt the same way.

On the old telex machines we had three bars where the space bar is:

  +--------------------+ +--------------------+ +--------------------+
  |     Letters        | |     Space          | | Signs and numbers  |
  +--------------------+ +--------------------+ +--------------------+

So we operated these with our thumbs in order to switch between
different "cases".  What I wanted to see on electronic keyboards was
something like this:

  +--------------------+ +--------------------+ +--------------------+
  |         Alt        | |     Space          | |      Alt-Gr        |
  +--------------------+ +--------------------+ +--------------------+

I believe the Alt key was not invented at that time, but never mind the
names.  It was natural for us to want a keyboard where you would press
Alt-left with your left thumb while doing commands with your right hand
fingers and vice versa for right thumb/left hand fingers.  This would
give you a rich command set that did not conflict with the principles of
touch typing.

Even the puny Alt keys introduced by IBM can be operated by the thumbs,
which is what I do in my own editor.  I wonder why this has not caught
on.

The old control key to the left of A, on the other hand, can only be
used with right hand commands if you want to stick to the principles of
touch typing.  The command sets of Emacs or WordStar with its ^A, ^E,
etc. are crazy and anti-ergonomic as far as I am concerned.  And the
same holds for the Microsoft buffer commands: ^Z, ^X, ^C, ^V.

The control key may have been the only way to get things done on earlier
keyboards.  Today it lives on mainly due to conservatism.  Besides, this
key has MOVED... but Unix programmers have not yet noticed.
--
    Tore

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:30:35 GMT

Jeff Glatt writes:

>>> Yet another quote for the Tholen archive,

>> Totally devoid of context, as usual.

> All of the context of him declaring you to be the biggest moron is
> contained above.

Incorrect, Glatt; it doesn't show Aaron claiming that "nothing about
computers is intuitive".

>> Why don't you show Aaron claiming that nothing about a computer is
>> intuitive?

> Because all of the context of him declaring you to be the biggest
> moron is contained above.

Incorrect, Glatt; it doesn't show Aaron claiming that "nothing about
computers is intuitive".

>> Why don't you show him
>> relying on invective rather than logical argument?

> Because all of the context of him declaring you to be the biggest
> moron is contained above.

Incorrect, Glatt; it doesn't show Aaron claiming that "nothing about
computers is intuitive".

>>> and yet more evidence that Tholen is widely regarded as a fool among
>>> usenet readers

>> Yet more evidence that Glatt doesn't know what "widely regarded" means.

> Yet more evidence that Tholen is in denial about the fact that he is
> widely regarded as a fool among usenet readers

A repetition of the same evidence.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:34:04 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis writes:

>>> You don't have to specifically learn "d$" to synthesize if
>>> from previous knowledge.

>> What previous knowledge tells you the function of "d$"?

> it's similar to "dw" and "dG"

Are you claiming it's intuitive, Aaron, after claiming that nothing
about computers is intuitive?

>>> Conversely, the use of an on/off switch canNOT be intuitive,

>> Incorrect, given that I have personally witnessed first-time users
>> knowing what to do with a power switch, even without consulting a
>> manual.

> Were these first-time electrical-device users?

Irrelevant, given that the topic of discussion is the power switch of
a computer, Aaron.  Or did you forget that already?

> A) yes
> B) no

"Have you stopped beating your wife?  Yes or no."

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:37:22 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis writes:

> Tim Smith wrote:

>> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

>>> Then please provide a COGENT differing explanation.

>> The problem with your example is that a similar example can be used to
>> disprove the intuitiveness of pretty much everything except how to turn
>> off an alarm clock.

> Actually not.

On the contrary, it's precisely the problem with your example, Aaron.

> A simple wheeled cart is intuitive.

Not to a six-month-old, Aaron, which is the same sort of reasoning you
used when you trotted out your "primitive tribesman".

> One need merely push or pull it a couple of feet to see how to use it.

Which assumes that it will move when pushed or pulled, Aaron.  Suppose
pressure is applied orthogonal to the direction of the wheels?

> An automobile is not.

Is "everything about an automobile" not intuitive, Aaron?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:38:26 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis writes:

> Tim Smith wrote:

>> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

>>> Then please provide a COGENT differing explanation.

>> The problem with your example is that a similar example can be used to
>> disprove the intuitiveness of pretty much everything except how to turn
>> off an alarm clock.

> The only 'intuitive' way to turn off an alarm clock is to throw
> it with great velocity against a brick wall.

Is your experience really that limited, Aaron?  I'm beginning to see
the root of your problem.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:50:03 GMT

Steve Mading writes:

> (To tholen)
>
> Okay we agree, it seems, that intuativeness is purely relative
> to what is already known.  In the case of Vi, it only appears
> unintuative if you are used to some other editor first.

Not just "some" editor, but a wide range of editors.  Which screen
editors besides vi use hjkl for cursor movement?

> This I agree with.  What you don't seem to get is that it works the
> other way around too - if you learn Vi first, then those other
> editors are the unintuative ones.

I disagree, simply because there are numerous applications besides
editors that move cursors around using the cursor keys.

> This is why it is useless to accuse one product of being "less
> intuative" than another -

Fortunately, I didn't do that.  I did note that the use of hjkl for
cursor movement is not intuitive to a first-time vi user.  I also
disagreed with Aaron's claim that nothing about computers is
intuitive.

> ESPECIALLY when the whole reason for the alleged non-intuativeness
> is that the products differ from each other, and therefore someone
> familiar with one won't find the other intuative.

But intuitiveness is relative, as you've agreed.  That is, what one
person finds intuitive will not necessarily be intuitive to someone
else.

> That type of argument is rather anti-competitive - whichever
> interface is not already more prevalent will be less "intuative"
> merely becuase it is not already prevelant, and for no other
> reason.

Irrelevant to my argument with Aaron.

> You are setting up a situation where the only way for a product to
> be "intuative" is for it to be a copycat of the market leader,
> which automatically stacks the deck against it.

Also irrelevant to my argument with Aaron.

> Another way to look at whether or not an interface is "intuative" is
> to note how similar the different parts of the interface are to
> *each other*.  I call this "internal intuativeness".  If the way the
> interface has you do task A is drasticly different than the way it has
> you do task B, then it is not internally intuative.  An internally
> intuative system is one in which a person who knows some of the
> interface can easily guess at the rest of it.

Also irrelevant to my argument with Aaron.

> In this regard, VI really shines, even though it isn't very similar
> to *other* editors.  Once you know part of the VI commands, the rest
> work in similar ways.

I take it that you agree with me that something about computers can
be intuitive, contrary to Aaron's claim.

I've tried to lead by example, but it hasn't worked:  I really should
point out now that you're consistently misspelling "intuitive".

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:55:48 GMT

Steve Mading writes:

>>> vi was good.  Having the ability to see all the lines on the screen
>>> instead of one line, and being able to move onto a word to delete
>>> it instead of  .s/old-word/new-word/ was so much better.

>> The "good" thus comes from being a screen editor, not from using hjkl
>> for cursor movement.

> I would disagree strongly.  Using the typewriter keys (like hjkl) is
> much, much faster than losing the home-row placement of your fingers
> to go hit the arrow keys, or the 'ins/home/end.etc...' keys, or to
> move the mouse.

Except that while you're typing, if you want to go back and correct an
error, you first have to get out of insert mode by finding that escape
key, which isn't on the home row, and then you have to get back into
insert mode with the i key, which also isn't on the home row.

> Although it is different than other editors, it's the feature that
> makes it very fast.

Not to me.  Given the option, I find myself running off to use BRIEF
or some editor with BRIEF key bindings.

> I realize that this was not due to some major plan or anything - it
> was an accidental side effect of the lack of those special keys back
> in the days when vi was being first developed.  But it's a GOOD side
> effect.

Making it a screen editor was much more valuable to me than the choice
of keys to use for cursor movement.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:58:24 GMT

Steve Mading writes:

>> The fact that it needs to be learned is what makes something not
>> intuitive.

> By that standard, the only intuative interface is the nipple.
> After that everything is learned.

Incorrect.  You're ignoring the second and third and fourth and
fifth and so on instances of an interface.

> The insistency that things should be similar to things that you
> already know, when taken to the extreme, prevents all progress.

Fortunately, I never indicated any such insistence.