From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: Claire Lynn
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 13:37:12 -0700

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 17:26:09 GMT,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED], in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 15:43:41 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck) wrote:
>

>>And I'm sure the "geeks" prefer it that way just as much as you do.
>
>Sure they do.
> They are an anti-social bunch.
>
>Some don't even come to the company picnic, but prefer to go to work
>instead.

is "anti-social" newspeak for "prefers to socialize with other people than
me" ?

>>Why does the company keep these "geeks" around anyway?  Do you suppose
>>that they have some skills that the compnay needs?
>
>Of course they do and the company drains their brains and then let's
>them go and hires a new bunch of geeks at less salary.

At less salary? right...

>>Having nice
>>blow-dried hair and being able to grease customers is not the be-all of
>>useful skills you know.
>
>But they typically make substantially more money than the geeks do.

I'd say that it is possible to sell a product, with no marketing, but you can't
sell something you don't have, no matter what the marketing. (You may be able
to rip people off, once, but that's not a plus...)

>>  Somebody somewhere actually has to make things
>>work.  And having that somebody out doing sales calls is not the best
>>use of their skills.
>
>Depends on the person. Some of them are quite sharp, having been
>former geeks themselves. Others haven't a clue and should be selling
>used cars instead.
>
>claire

Well. I know a lot of engineers who went into sales, funny thing is, they were
all marginal or worse, engineers. They know the lingo, but that's about it.

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: who's WHINING dipshit!
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 20:35:26 -0700

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 06:13:14 GMT,
 Mike Byrns, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>2:1 wrote:
>
>> >  And to top it off I believe X makes you log off and back on just to change
>> > the screen resolution. Windows doesn't.
>>
>> Well, you believe completely wrong.
>> crtl+alt+'+'
>> Switches to the next enables resolution.
>> ctrl+alt+'-'
>> switches to the previousle enabled resolution
>>
>> So to top it all, unless you're adding a driver that can't be compiled
>> as a kernel module, you have to reboot. And that'r rare.
>
>How about one that uses a different X server?
>
>Please show that switching to any of the the most optimized drivers for all the
>most current cards do not need a reboot in Mandrake 7.2b3.  I'll test it for you.

Switching drivers for X does not require a reboot.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:39:48 -0400

Rauni wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:01:51 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Loren Petrich wrote:

> >>    Thank you for proving my point.
> >
> >Your PREMISE is invalid, which makes your conclusions invalid.
> >
> >Philosophy 101, fat ass.

> >>    Consider yourself lucky, buster.
> >
> >You see...I don't go around making unfounded accusations....
> >so...why should I consider myself "lucky"
> >
> >On the other hand, I will note quite heartily that you still have
> >a big, fat ass.
> >
> >http://www.webcom.com/petrich/my_portrait.jpg
> >

> >Your childish love affair with food is what keeps you from ever
> >having a productive relationship with a woman.
> >
> >You should, like, do something about that.
> >

> >> --
> >> Loren Petrich
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >> Happiness is a fast Macintosh
> >> And a fast train
> >
> >Why isn't your home page in your .sig any more?  Embarrassed?
>
> Hey where is *your* pic asshole?

In my photo albums

>  What are *YOU* afraid off?

Not a thing.  I just don't believe in giving you material for
your constant endeavor to malign me.

>  How about a pic of you and "Irina"?
>  Bet you can't because she is just a  blow up doll.

A blow-up doll standing in the middle of a hotel lobby?

Come now...you're not fooling anybody you whiny old hag.

> >http://www.webcom.com/petrich/home.html

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Starting a Linux program in schools
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:40:55 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 20:23:08 GMT, Bill Vermillion wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >There's enough differences in some Linux distributions that being
> >proficient in one won't neccesarily mean you'd be proficient in
> >other OS'es, or even other variants of Linux.  If you learn the
> >concepts of hierarchy, everything's a file, etc., you will be ok,
>
> Well that's kind of my point. When I say "proficient with Linux", I
> don't mean that you know how to set up networking using Linuxconf
> or something like that.
>
> My point is that POSIX, TCP/IP configuration, printcap, server
> software such as sendmail, apache, squid, etc are not substantially
> different on different forms of UNIX. Someone who is truly proficient
> in Linux will be able to use Solaris with very little difficulty
> ( though they'll probably find themselves constantly cursing under their
> breath if the GNU tools aren't installed on Solaris ... )

I bounce back and forth between HP and Solaris and Linux with ease.

> --
> Donovan

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Clearing things
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 03:43:51 GMT

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 16:26:46 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>No, I believe he's correct.  The Win32-based tasks multitask
>preemptively.  The win16-based tasks, however, do not.

One problem with Win32 (including NT) is that apps are in charge of
their own window management.  Which means that you can have an app with
a frozen window that can't be moved or minimized or resized.  Other
apps continue to run (at least on NT) but you've got this stuck window
until the app comes back to life or you kill it with Task Manager.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: linux questions
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 03:43:53 GMT

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 07:29:52 -0700, drschwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm beginning to work on a new tablet computing product and was wondering
>whether linux was a viable operating system for it.

You've come to the wrong place for rational discussion <g>.

>o What is the minimum footprint for linux assuming the device will support
>typical printing and communication requirements?

There are distributions that run off a single floppy disk.  That would
be the starting point for a basic system with networking.  Ghostscript
(for printing to non-postscript printers) is ~5 MB on this machine I'm
typing on.

X will probably cost you at least another 20 MB or more, depending on
fonts and options, or you could look at one of the embedded GUI's since
you probably don't need a remotable GUI on a tablet.

As for RAM, a basic non-X system will need around 8 MB to be
comfortable.  With X, 32 would be a comfortable minimum with 16
possible but not recommended.  The embedded GUI's are probably less
demanding.

>o Are there Java frameworks to support the development of a small suite of
>productivity applications for a targeted user group?

There's the Sun and IBM JKD's, plus a couple of others like Kaffe, and
a number of IDE's including VisualAge.  Of course the "frameworks" (I
presume you mean beans and other bits you can use to build apps) are
normally cross-platform with Java.

You'll need more than minimum memory to use a standard JDK.  Java's a
memory pig.

>o Could Java on Linux provide sufficient performance for presentation or
>spreadsheet software apps, as examples? Would a Pentium II provide
>sufficient horsepower?

I use a Java finance app (Moneydance) on a P-133 with 96 MB.  It isn't
as fast as I'd like, but it's acceptable.  IBM's JDK seems faster than
Sun's, but I haven't tried the latest from Sun.

>o What kind of handwriting recognition software is there for Linux?

Dunno.

>o Would Linux be able to support a requirement to rotate the 'desktop' 90
>degrees, i.e., to use the table in either portrait or landscape mode?

The standard XFree86 can't do that dynamically, although you can
reconfigure and restart.  For a tablet-like thing though you don't need
the weight of X and might want to look at something like microwindows
or the thing Troll Tech makes (forget the name).  Go to google.com and
search for things like "linux embedded gui" and see what happens.

Linux Journal happens to have an embedded focus this month, and a
supplement.  There's info about vendors and such that might be useful
for you.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 03:43:54 GMT

On 21 Oct 2000 19:42:00 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>One of the reasons that WindowsCE is such a big player in this sort of
>market (appliance computing--palmtops, gaming consoles, kiosks, etc) is
>its realtime attributes.

Only in Microsoft's dreams is CE realtime or even fast.  Nor is it
particularly light on resources.  The only reason for it having any
penetration at all is Microsoft's marketing money.  And it isn't really
much of a player at that.

Linux, OTOH, can actually be realtime with add-ons like RTLinux.  NT can
do this trick too, but takes more resources.

QNX is, however, a decent OS that might fill the bill.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 03:43:54 GMT

Grant Edwards wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Colin R. Day wrote:
>
> >> Microsoft offered a Unix, XENIX, and users stuck to DOS despite Microsoft's
> >> advocacy for XENIX.
> >
> >Of course, trying to run UNIX on such computers as were used for
> >XENIX would be like trying to drive a Lamborghini in rush-hour
> >traffic.
>
> Eh?  XENIX _was_ Unix.  It was Microsoft's version of AT&T
> System 3 wasn't it?
>
> --
> Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Is this my STOP??
>                                   at
>                                visi.com

Yep.
It was.  Then it became SCO.
Then it was bought out by Caldera recently.

Just like Microfocus cobol used to be Microsoft Cobol.
Now it's owned by Merant corporation.

Anything good they had was sold in favor of this Windows thing.
When the Windows thing happened and dos was doomed then they
threw off all their old commerical ventures into corporate america, one by one.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 03:43:55 GMT

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 20:32:23 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You believe that Lotus is omnipotent, and incapable of making a programming
>error?

Microsoft is, apparently, so why not Lotus?

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM to BUY MICROSOFT!!!!
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:44:42 -0400

Quantum Leaper wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Weevil wrote:
> > >
> > > Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Heh.  If he listens to a word you say, the last thing he'll be is
> educated.
> > >
> > > Hey, when are you guys gonna shave your heads and wear robes and start
> > > singing Windows Carols in airports?
> >
> > I'd be happy if they just doused themselves in gasoline and set themselves
> > on fire....the way all good cultists do.
>
> I thought all good cultists drank kool-aid,   it is cheaper than gasoline.

Yeah, but FIRE is more attention-getting.

At least that's the BATF's excuse for Waco....

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:51:16 -0400

Said JS/PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Said Simon Cooke in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>> >Sorry Max... I've gotten bored of your games.
>>
>> Wow; I hadn't expected you to back out, no matter how ludicrous your
>> position was proved to be.  I'm impressed.  :-)
>
>This pretty much proves your only a troll, uninterested in arguing facts,
>but enjoying delusion of attention your posts create Devlin.

Oh does it?

>Outlook has just informed me that you have been added to my blocked senders
>list. I wont see your troll response to this. But just a word of advise -
>Get that lithium prescription refilled.

Thank god.  I was wondering when I would be rid of you and your ignorant
opinion and inflammatory trolling.  Have a nice life, moron.

======USENET VIRUS=======COPY THE URL BELOW TO YOUR SIG==============

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!

http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:55:50 -0400

Said Erik Funkenbusch in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Win95 relies on msdos.sys being a certain size, because DOS relies on
>> msdos.sys being a certain size, and Win95 is a bundle of DOS 7 and Win
>> 4.0.  "If you wish to boot into DOS, it will still be backwards
>> compatible", indeed.  You *have* to boot into DOS to load Win95,
>> remember?
>
>Untrue, Neither Win95, nor the DOS that ships with Win95 rely on msdos.sys
>being a certain size.  In fact, this is easily proven by simply editing the
>msdos.sys and removing the padding.  There are, however, certain third party
>programs that rely on msdos.sys being a certain size, which is why the
>padding is there.  To make those programs compatible with Win95.

You are correct.  Thanks for reminding me.  Now, the question is, why
would Microsoft care if third party programs were broken in this way,
when all the other times a third party program is broken by Microsoft's
churn, it is considered the third party's fault?

Personally, my suspicion is that Microsoft has a contract with Symantic
that if they are not allowed to make any changes that break their
utilities.  Either that, or these "third party programs" are actually
first party; i.e. Microsoft utilities.

The very fact that a DOS file must be handled specially in order to make
programs compatible with Win95 entirely undermines your argument that
Win95 does not include DOS.  (Of course, such a position is baseless,
anyway, considering Microsoft has already provided evidence of their
deception in this manner, through the emails from the period that have
been made public.)

http://www.drdos.com/fullstory/factstat.html

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: $1,000 per copy for Windows.
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 03:59:30 GMT

Here's a paid study which claims the cost of
a Windows OS would be over $1,000 per
copy post the breakup of Microsoft.

http://www.actonline.org/pubs/remedies3.pdf

Seems like I've said this before!

http://24.94.254.33/Linux/intro.html

Humm.

I must be nostradomus!

Charlie

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 00:07:46 -0400

Said Erik Funkenbusch in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >He didn't say that, he said that once loaded, Windows 95 was it's own OS,
>> >which it is.  Whether or not that OS relies on some functionality of a
>> >client program is irrelevant to that.  Make no mistake, When Win95 is
>> >running, DOS (even the DOS that Win95 depends on) runs as a client of
>> >Windows.
>>
>> Make no mistake; when running, Win95 runs on top of the DOS operating
>> system.  Confusing this with the "DOS box" shell program which Windows
>> supports is a mistake made by rank amateurs exclusively.
>
>Max, you are again out of your league.  Quoting from Unauthorized Windows
>95, by Andrew Schulman (you know, Caldera's chief technical witness in their
>trial):
>
>Page 43:
>
>"Employing the real-mode DOS code does not diminish Windows 95's status as a
>genuine operating system."

LOL.

"In a sense, you lock cloners out of the WIN4 market, but we only
benefit from this if you increase the price of WIN4 to
be that of WIN3 + DOS. Otherwise, we've destroyed the DOS market under
WIN4, revenue-wise, so this is a phyrric
victory."

From: "James E. Freedle II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Real Linux Advocacy
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 00:08:27 -0400

I was refering to Windows 2000, not Windows 98, as it still has the resource
limitation thing.
"2:1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> MH wrote:
> >
> > Since many are incapable of replying with any semblance of intelligence.
Let
> > me give it a go.
>

> It was a ridiculous post. Comparing Linux to any brand od DOS is plain
> silly. There are completely different OSs, both of which are far
> superior to the other in the relavent field (*DOS is great for embedded
> things. Last time I heard, the FDA wouldn't allow multitasking OSs in
> medical devices, which rules out all new commercial, general purpuse
> OSs).
>
> However, the areas of use are so disparate, it makes no sense to compare
> them.
>

> The second claim he made was that `Windows is perfectly stable'. This is
> a troll post. Any Winvocate will admite that not all curent versions of
> windows are stable. The Win2K line may be, but the Win9x based line?
>
> Note, I have pointed out most of the bad points in the post without any
> real comparison of MS vs linux. I have mentioned them both (because the
> origional post did). I think you could see how silly tht post was if you
> wanted to.
>
> It was a troll post.
>
> -Ed
>

> > One reason, cost. Many universities run a *nix infrastructure due to the
> > cost incurred by using retail solutions. On the home front, some folks
don't
> > like paying 100's of dollars for software. (OS & APPS). There is MUCH
more
> > to it that this, but I'll stop here.
> >
> > Stability. Linux, when properly configured, rarely, if ever crashes. It
just
> > keeps going, and going, and...
> >
> > Power. If you're really into learning to leverage the true power of a
> > computer, the console shells & binaries that ship with most *nix systems
> > provide you with that means. If you know DOS, you'll be amazed with a
few
> > days with a good book in front of a *nix shell.
> >
> > You're into programming. Linux is a great tool by which to learn
programming
> > and to continue with programming once you've got a good grasp of it.
> >
> > Philosophy. Gnu is pretty cool once you know a little about it and think
of
> > what those who believe in it have done with it. (-:
> >
> > There's more, but I'll stop with what I believe to be the most
important.

> > << Linux Zealots>>
> > Notice not once did I compare linux to windows.
> >
> > "2:1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > the
And
> > do
> > it
> > >
> > > A new troll!
> > >
> > > Allow me to welcome you to cola.
> > >
> > > -Ed
> > >

> > > --
> > > Konrad Zuse should  recognised. He built the first      | Edward
Rosten