From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:16:36 +0100

says...
> Works great for me, my wife, and about a dozen friends that I know of.

Good for you.

> Beats the hell out of WinXX IMHO. If you prefer windows, why not use it?

I do use Windows.

> alternatively you could try to improve linux, if you're not a programmer, then
> you could help others do so. You complain a lot, but you only seem to do so in
> the *advocacy groups or on alt.linux.sux, why is that?

I thought this was the advocacy group.

>  This is why most think you are a troll, not because you have "issues" with
> linux, but because you are not serious about trying to *fix* them.

Why should I want to fix problems with Linux?

>  If you want help, ask for it, on the help newsgroups. You will get it. Except
> of course, I don't think you do *get* it... too bad, so sad.

I've been down that road.

> Linux, like anything else in the world, is not perfect. The great thing is that
> it is improving so well and so fast.

Yes, after a few years it's reached a point where it's almost (but not
quite) usable. How long has Windows been at that point? Several years?

--
---
Pete Goodwin

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:12:15 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> Our old friend Pete has two network cards installed on his machine, one
> using a static address, the other DHCP (my guess, for a cable modem).
> Now, from there he started to bitch about KDE, then complained that KDE
> apps and KDE itself kep crashing.  I, however, have not experienced any
> of these problems, so I suggested to him to run a memory scan, which
> scan's the whole memory to check whether there are any faults.  The
> program can be run from the start up menu.

I've run the memory scan. To my surprise, I have a memory fault. It does
not show up at all in Windows (I mean, the system freezing could just be
a Netscape or an IE problem!). Could this be why Linux + X + KDE is
unstable. I'll let you know once I solve the memory problem.

> 1st Why didn't he use YaST2? it has a very easy setup wizard to handle
> it.

Use YAST2 to do what?

> 2nd I suggested him to upgrade his kernel to 2.4.2-4GB, which is
> available for download off ftp.suse.com, reason why is because 2.4.0 had
> some nasty bugs that may have effected KDE 2.1

I've not seen that suggestion...

> 3rd I suggested him to check his memory with the memory checker included
> with SuSE Linux.

I tried this scanner and it revealed faults. I tried another memory
scanner and even wrote one myself to make sure - yes there is a fault.

> He has done neither of them, thus concluding to me that he doesnot want
> Linux to succeed.  In fact, I'm wondering whether he actually bought a
> copy of Kylix? or is he bullshitting me?

8) You're jumping to conclusions. My current ISP, BlueYonder, don't have
a very good news server. It's down more often than not, so I don't get
to post replies here as often as I'd like. Last night KNode refused to
even start up - presumably due to the memory errors I found.

If you don't believe I've bought Kylix, take a look at
http://mse.sourceforge.net/. There's a link back to SourceForge for the
Kylix sources I wrote, though you may have to hunt around for them.

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:05:24 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > Ah so you finally admit Linux cannot replace Windows?
> Linux has never sought to replace the buggy, white goods software that is
> Windows. Linux is a UNIX clone, and UNIX was released in 1973.

That's because it can't. Not in it's current form.

> Linux is not Windows.

Well, duh.

> Everything has a few problems, this is no reason not to use something.

When those few problems exceed the thing that you're switching away
from... what then?

> Goodwin, you're a persistant Wintroll, your arguments are weak, your efforts
> to comprehend whats being said to you in this forum seem less than sincere to
> me.

That's your opinion and your welcome to it.

> But your polite and entertaining, what more could a COLA reader ask for?

Probaby a good slanging match, a la (yuk) Jerry Springer?

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:02:32 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> DHCP works for Peter if he starts it manually.  It's what?...
> A week later?... and he still hasn't figured out how to get
> the manual command in his startup scripts?  And he says this
> is a problem with Linux + X + KDE 2.1

I have better things to do rather than run around trying out the latest
broken idea from anyone here.

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:01:11 +0100

In article <bIYD6.60652$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>         I have posted a few times here and there, but what amuses me is this;
> Windows trolls complain about how useless, unfriendly, incomprehensable
> linux is, but most linux users have used windows for an extensive amount of
> time.  So after all the bashing of whom has the "lazzy" os I say it is
> Windows.  Can you do "True" OS maintanence in the CLI?  Can you get any
> good documentation with windoze?  At least I can type "info rm" and get a
> FULL DETAILED discription of usage and envocations for the command!  Have
> you tryed "help fdisk" in windoze?

fdisk is a good example of how bad the documentation can be on Windows.
However... for most things on Windows, you do not _need_ documentation.
It's made obvious by the GUI - why do you think GUI's have taken off in
such a big way?

>         Argue as you will but Linux has taken my blood and I shall give my energy
> to the revalotuion.  Because people deserve the best!  And with Millions of
> beta testers how can you complain.

When the best is still Windows... IMHO.

>         P.s.  Ya Windoze might have better games, but why buy a $1.5K piece of
> silicon to play games when you can buy a PSX2 for $300?

I've never paid $1.5K for a piece of silicon. I've paid that kind of
price for a complete system which lets me play games and write software.
Can I do that on a PSX2?

>         P.s.s. If windows is so "great" why can it be brought down with a
> "dumb-ass.txt.vbs"??????

It can't if you don't run Outlook (or VB scripting).

If Linux is so great, why can I take it out with:

while (true) fork();

--
---

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 05:25:33 -0400

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 00:28:08 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >jet wrote:
> >>
> >> MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:vEFE6.1319$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Any man who marries a woman who thinks she should get paid the same as a man
> >> for the same work is a self flagellating idiot?
> >>

> >Of course, it turns out that VERY few women actually do "the same work"
> >as their male peers.
> >
> >They aren't willing to come in early, nor work late.
> >They aren't willing to go on a business trip on 4-hours notice.
> >They aren't willing to transfer across the country.
> >
> >Doing those things would "doing the same work"...but very few women
> >are willing to follow through with their promises.
> >

> I'm only willing to do one of those three things.

Which is one more than most women.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 05:26:10 -0400

jet wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > jet wrote:
> > >
> > > MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:vEFE6.1319$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Any man who marries a woman who thinks she should get paid the same as a
> man
> > > for the same work is a self flagellating idiot?
> > >

> > Of course, it turns out that VERY few women actually do "the same work"
> > as their male peers.
>
> You avoided the question. Que sorpresa.

No..you avoided the answer.

See below.

> > They aren't willing to come in early, nor work late.
> > They aren't willing to go on a business trip on 4-hours notice.
> > They aren't willing to transfer across the country.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 05:28:53 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> If Linux is so great, why can I take it out with:
>
> while (true) fork();

You can't with properly imposed resource limits.  This isn't too hard to
do.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Buy Microsoft stock!!!
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:36:12 +0100

>> > 1)  A winmodem that is most likely not supported under Linux
>> > 2)  A cutting edge video card that isn't supported yet by the
>> > shipping
>>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> And that is likel to reduce the cost how?
>
> By "cutting edge" I mean new, not "high end".  Many newer cards are
> intended to be low-cost solutions, such as the ones that use main memory
> for their video RAM.  Prior to 2.4, this wasn't supported by any of the
> Linux kernels
> (and yes, it required kernel support, not just X support).  I'm sure
> it's
> been backported to 2.2, but none of the shipping Linux distros have it
> as far as I know.

Are you refering to on board video cards? I recently had to get a new
card for my computer. The cheapest two I could find ran under both
Windows and Linux (the cheapest one was rubbish under both, so I took it
back).

Also, IIRC, ones that use V-RAM are rather poor performers. It is
worth dropping a few hunderd MHZ on the CPU for the better card, same
price and better overall performance (same applies to winmodems too).

But then again, computers sell by the MHZ, not the performance.

Oh, and one final thing, the unified memory architecture isn't new.

-Ed

--
You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.

u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 05:31:04 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux advocates posting from Windos 98 (what to do with them)

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 17:52:43 -0600, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Aaron has testicles??????

> He used to.  The were removed when he was hung by his testicles during
> Desert Storm.

Actually, he was castrated by a radical Democratic feminist.  This is
why he hates Democrats and feminists (and women in general).

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat has become scary?
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 05:37:17 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> Matthias Warkus wrote:
> >
> > It was the Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:54:13 +1200...

> > >  Names of dictators that killed thousands, yet, not one word from the US:
> > >
> > >  Pol Pot
> > >  Alberto Penche
> > >  Stalin
> > >
> > >  If you are going to jump up on ya soap box and declare war on those who
> > >  oppress the masses, please do it consistency.
> >
> > So you argue that the US should have stayed out of World War Two
> > because it is obvious that no single nation, not even them, can take
> > on all present and future dictators?
>
> Nope never said that. I simply said that if the US are going to be the
> "down with oppressive govnerments" policy, could they please do it
> consistantly, otherwise, don't do it at all.

It's merely an excuse politicians use, to motivate the public, when
it's convenient.

> Matthew Gardiner
>
> --
> I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)
>
> If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself
>
> Running SuSE Linux 7.1
>
> The best of German engineering, now in software form

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:39:02 +0100

> If Linux is so great, why can I take it out with:
>
> while (true) fork();

Don't blame Linux for your shortcomings as an administrator. If you were
competent, you'd have a precess limit, snd so the machine would not be
effectively taken out by that.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:42:07 +0100

> I've run the memory scan. To my surprise, I have a memory fault. It does
>  not show up at all in Windows (I mean, the system freezing could just
> be  a Netscape or an IE problem!). Could this be why Linux + X + KDE is
> unstable. I'll let you know once I solve the memory problem.

There's a badram patch for Linux. You can still use bad memory with no
problems even if its not ECC.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:42:59 +0100

> And who invented virtual memory? I remember that IBM claimed to have
> invented it, but that was years after we had already started using it.

It first appeared in use on the Atlat, a large mechine made by Ferranti,
IIRC.

-Ed

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Rocks!
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:41:10 +0200

Nils Zonneveld wrote:
>> You mean the X-windows system that lets you run code on any Unix
>> machine and display it's output on any computer that has graphics
>> capability - the 2 machines don't even need to be in the same country.
>> Lets see your Mac do this then.
>
> Wow fantastic features! But how useful? Certainly useful in a number of
> situations, but on an average desktop it's nothing else but bloat. And
> bloat is really an issue with X-windows, it's incredibly slow.

Wrong. Next time get your facts right before starting to make an ass out
of yourself.
And I use that capability quite often on my (home -) network. At least it
is not as bad as this wintendo-junk.
Canīt comment on Mac, never had one. But should work with OS-X also,
since this is unix.

Peter

--
Windows is just the instable version of Linux for users who are too
dumb to handle the real thing.

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:43:31 +0200

Hullo wrote:

> It is incredibly excellent dude. You know it, I know it. It rocks.

Yup, it (sucks) rocks.
What you are sucking, I just try to imagine.

Peter

--
begin  I-LOVE-BILLG.txt.vbs
http://www.klickibunti.org/buntibunti.html

------------------------------

From: Jim Garside <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: 23 Apr 2001 10:47:16 +0100

Roy Omond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Jan Vorbrueggen wrote:
>
> > Dennis Yelle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > And who invented virtual memory?
> >
> > Some guys in Britain.

Tom Kilburn et al. at Manchester University.

> My understanding is that the Atlas was the first to
> implement virtual memory as we know it.  Indeed
> that was a British invention.

True.  Atlas (late 1950s) introduced a number of now-common
techniques, including virtual memory, pipelining and interrupts.

Some brief details can be found at:

http://www.computer50.org/kgill/atlas/atlas.html

http://hoc.co.umist.ac.uk/storylines/compdev/commercialisation/atlas.html

-- Jim Garside