From: "Joseph T. Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM to BUY MICROSOFT!!!!
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:12:39 -0400

> > You mean the "X mouse" functionality? Why not use TweakUI? There's no
reason
> > to edit the registry.
>
> This indeed works (but only under win95, 98 and ME).  But it only offers
> "sloppy focus" (that is, when the cursor is over the root window, no
> other windows can have focus).  It would be nice if there were more
options.

"Sloppy focus?"  The TweakUI implementation works just fine on all the
Windows NT4W on which I've put it in addition to working of Windows 9x and
ME.  And the window over which the mouse pointer is located at any given
moment *has* the focus.  Yep, just now I moved my mouse to another window
and I could do things in that window but not in the window that I was typing
this message in.  Methinks you need to look at TweakUI a bit more closely.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Debian vs RedHat/Mandrake
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:34:12 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Roberto Alsina wrote:

> > You know, BSDi can not do such a thing at all. BSDi can stop
publishing their
> > own version of BSD (which is not FreeBSD anyway), but they can't
stop you or me
> > from publishing our own.
> >
> > The danger of source-closing is greatly exaggerated, usually by the
FSF for
> > political purposes, I believe.
> >
> > --
> > Roberto Alsina
>
> Well, I take their commentary with a grain of salt anyway.
>
> But when Apple builds Mac OSX on top of FreeBSD and the
> copyright's it, there's PROOF right there.  Don't know what
> else we really need here.  They took a free BSD project and
> via it's license turned into proprietary code.

No, they did not. Look at the FreeBSD site, and you will find the free
project right there. What is proprietary is what APPLE wrote, and why
shouldn't it be?

> But they still don't have the POWER nor the TRUST of the
> GNU and their GPL license.
>
> IBM will NEVER dump code their way.  HP will NEVER dump code
> their way.
>
> Linux is developed by about 200,000 people.

That is a terribly gross exaggeration, IMHO.

> FreeBSD's scope is much smaller.   I'd guess under 500 people
> actually work on it.

I doubt many more work on Linux, at least if you count only those whose
work doesn't work on FreeBSD as well as in Linux.

--
Roberto Alsina

From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.os.netware.misc
Subject: Re: Ms employees begging for food
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:39:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Toon Moene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Actually, UNIX was more like an accident.  A few guys at Bell Labs
> > were trying to get Multics running on a pretty expensive computer
> > and their funding was cut by AT&T.
>
>       IMPLICIT SMILEY (A-Z)
>
> Hmmm, the way I recall it Ken needed a computer (and an OS) to run his
> games on - Bell Labs "gave" him a PDP-7 and he invented Unix.

Here's Dennis' version:
   http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/hist.html

Ken, do you have a different version?

> But don't take my word for it - Dennis is listening in to this
> (comp.arch) newsgroup, so you can hear it from the horse's mouth.

I should have included the link above in the first post.  But
given that I do this as a hobby rather than as a professional
journalist, I was being a bit lazy.

Thanks for asking.

> --
> Toon Moene - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] - phoneto: +31 346
214290

--
Rex Ballard - I/T Architect, MIS Director
Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Microsoft Goes Open Source
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:46:04 GMT

unintentionally.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/481927.asp

From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:37:29 GMT

In article <8ta5bm$tll$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > And note that numbers of Linux users are actually DOWN 11% from
July
> > 2000
> > > even though total visitors are up by 9.5% (43 million).
>
> Of course. Web browsing with NN on linux is worse than going
backwards in
> time.
> NN 3.0 on Windows is a more enjoyable experience. Once the "thrill" of
> watching 'ls' fill your transparent Eterm is gone, it's time to get
on with
> the business of getting on.
>
> > > Now lets look at July 2000 502483035
> > >
> > > 1. Win 98    318,538,810 (63%)
> > > 2. Win 95    101,594,073 (20%)
> > > 3. Win NT     41,047,771 (8%)
> > > 4. Win 2000   11,423,496 (2%)
> >

> > > 5. Unknown    11,038,874 (2%)  Linux variants/squid
> > > 8. Linux       1,543,963 (0%)
> > > 9. Unix        1,214,391 (0%)
> >
> > Total           13,797,228 (2.7%)
> >
> > Growth
> > Sept=          15,021,658
> > July=          13,797,228
> > Growth=         1,224,430
> >
> > Not bad.  1.2 million new Linux users.  It's a start :-).

By the way, according to this same survey, another 1+ million users
joined the Linux ranks last MONTH.

> Sure seems a *tad* less than your bloated numbers.

Yup.  Ironically, most Linux and UNIX users are limited to the
browsers which adhere to published standards.  Publishers have\
been arm-twisted by Microsoft and Netscape to add VBScript, JavaScript,
ActiveX, and proprietary plug-ins which are only supported on the
windows versions.  Furthermore, since the survey technology used
exploits these features, it's unlikely that generic browser users
would be visiting their sites - as Linux/KFM users for example.

KDE 2.0 should mess up the numbers pretty good, since the new KDE
web browser will support Javascript and Java Applets (sandboxed).

> > Allowing for the fact that Linux-friendly ISPs use IP Chaining
> > to fold multiple IP addresses into a single address.  Sufficient
> > to say that the number would be closer to 3-4 times the number
> > shown by thecounter.  Keep in mind that thecounter public survey
> > results only count the last os-type used on each sampled IP address.
> > Other factors include dual-boot systems (Linux as secondary), WINE,
> > and secondary desktop/servers accessed through X11 or VNC.
> >
> > This would put the Linux population at around 45-60 million,
> > with growth at 2-3 million per month.
>
> Really? That's quite an interesting bit of math you've got there.

True, it's largely based on speculation.  But the speculation is based
on documentation provided by thecounter have known issues.  Without
cookies that uniquely identify each IP/Cookie/OS combination for
inclusion in the survey, and measure it using popular sites (400
million visitors or more) which support "brand independent" technology
(HTML, Java, cookies only), the counts are still likely to be skewed.

The two largest access providers, AOL and MSN, don't support Linux
dial-ups.  Meanwhile, the access providers who do support Linux
dial-ups use ipchains to hide "generic" private addresses (10.x.x.x)
behind one "real" IP address.

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/

> Too bad it's factually unverifiable. Oh well.

> Dual boot systems? Uh huh.
Sure.  Many people install both Linux and Windows on the same
machine.  Most distributions try very hard to make this as easy
as possible.  They either include copies of partition magic (another
good indicator of Linux activity is PM licences), or they create a
huge Windows/DOS file which can be accessed by the Linux kernel as
partition space.  Slackware also allows users to install Linux to
UMSDOS partitions.  The latter two are slower, but they give newbie
Linux users a way to try it out without blowing away their hard drive.

> Where are you getting those stats?

Statistical samplings of smaller groups, review of installation
questions asked by new users on usenet, statements made by Bob Young
and other Distributor execs, and recognition of the needs of desktop
users.  Most Linux users are ALSO Windows users.  They use Windows
when they have to and Linux because they want to.

Many Linux users also use WINE, VMWare, or WABI to run Linux and
Windows at the same time.

> And I'll bet that the number of installed
> linux systems on home users
> computers that get wiped off

Actually, it looks like about 25% of those who install Linux
remove it.  This is based on the combination of Bob Young's estimate
that 4 installations (per year) are made for each installation sold,
less the 3 licenses sold (in the subsequent year) for each copy sold
in the previous year.

Furthermore, supported users tend to stick with Linux (even if only
on a part-time basis).

> after < 1 month is probably half of your figure
> for monthly growth.

But the numbers are year-over-year growth for 5 years, on a quarter
by quarter basis.  The growth seems to be pretty consistant, with
the slowest period being the time immediately following SP3 for NT4
(about 120% growth for same quarter over previous year),
and the highest period being last year, shortly after
Red Hat went public (270% growth over previous year).

> To use an old campaign slogan --albeit slightly munged...
>
> "It's the apps stupid!"

Actually, it's the OEMs and the Apps.  Third party software vendors
are beginning to support Linux very agressively.  This includes former
Microsoft allies such as Borland(Inprise), WordPerfect(Corel), and
Lotus (coded to WINE).  We're also seeing support from IBM, Oracle,
Sybase, Informix, Electronic Arts, and many others.

In fact, many 3rd party software vendors have even made Linux a higher
priority that custom redesign for Windows 2000 and Windows ME.

The biggest obsticle now seems to be the OEMs.  When you exclude sales
of Windows through OEM channels, Linux is actually outselling Windows
2000 and Windows ME (including upgrades).

Until the OEMs begin shipping machines preinstalled with Linux or
Linux and Windows (dual-boot), consumers still have to surmount
a huge barrier to entry.  You see, OEMs can custom configure the
installation media (Windows AND Linux) to make sure that their
configurations are supported.  When consumers must go to a third
party vendor to purchase software designed for "generic" hardware,
it's harder to manage the PnP configurations.

Corel even went so far as to work with a motherboard manufacturer
to include the licenses for Corel Linux in the boards supplied to
a number of OEMs.  Unfortunately, Corel Linux (Debian) is not as
attractive to commercial desktop consumers as Mandrake or SuSE.
Corel also had problems with it's CEO which have only recently been
resolved.

Until consumers can walk into CompUSA and test drive a Linux system
on a fully functional computer, Microsoft still holds a monopoly
control of the market.  The consumer must breach a carefully designed
barrier to entry.

--
Rex Ballard - VP I/T Architecture

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steven Smolinski)
Subject: Re: hardware problem
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 18:06:31 GMT

Gardiner Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Steven Smolinski wrote:

> > Better yet, if you're going SuSE, don't buy the "Professional" version.
> > It's twice the price; just get the "Personal" version, install it, and
> > get the packages you're missing from the "Pro" version from their
> > ftp site through the YaST package management tool.
>
> I probably would have done that however I am too lazy and I only have a 56K
> connection (broadband in NZ is around $NZ90)

I'm sorry to hear that.  I find it difficult to remember life before
broadband.  Dialup is like the bronze age--you have tools to do what you
want, but they corrode and bend and are generally unimpressive.  I hope
you get the lifegiving bandwidth you need, and soon. :-)

Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (rich)
Subject: Re: An entire morning wasted on a Linux install.
Date: 27 Oct 2000 18:07:14 GMT

Also schrieb MH:
>Agh! This moron got by my filter by going to yahoo.

I thought I expired the bozo bin entry by mistake, thanks for confirming
that I didn't go insane.

>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

Catch the cluetrain.  http://www.cluetrain.com
Q. What's the difference between Batman and Bill Gates?
A. When Batman fought the Penguin, he won.

------------------------------

From: John Arebir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.4 Kernel Delays.
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:15:19 -0400

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 03:35:42 GMT, "Chad Myers"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>But I thought OSS software was supposed to be superior in all regards.
>Shouldn't a reasonable expectation be that it ships on time?

4 months waiting for a few programmers who know what they are doing
rather than a unspecified amount of time by a several
hundered/thousands of unknowns (which turned out to be a year) IS
superior.

------------------------------

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS Hacked?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:09:57 -0500

MH wrote:

> "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Stuart Fox wrote:
> > >
> > > Could the source code get out somehow, or is this just a hoax?
> > >
> > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_993000/993933.stm
> > >

> > Very cool. All we have to do is wait. Sooner or later the code will be
> > posted, and we will get a good laugh.
> >

> No, but it would be interesting. Looking at NN's code would be funny.
> But then it is open now, isn't it.
> And I would guess that is why the folks at Mozilla decided on a complete
> re-write of it.
> Something tells me they didn't find it "funny."
>
> I love everyone's attitude about MS's source code somehow being "funny", or
> full of "goto's" and on and on. The truth is that none of you would more
> than likely even know what you were looking at if the source code for a MS
> office app or a MS os was in front of your face.
> Yet you make these statements because you can write a trivial C program or
> an sql statement.
> Or hell, even a device driver. Try even thinking about what is involved in
> the process of bringing a product like Word for Windows to market.
> Oh, I know. It's SSSOOOO easy to write this stuff, isn't it?
> You're all so full of yourselves.
> And living in a dream world.
> A constructed fantasy of self grandeur.
> Wake up people
> The play has started, take your seat.
> Theatre of the absurd is what it is called.
>
> Casting stones from your glass houses.
>
> Let he who can post his source for his best program here and now,  lay waste
> by way of comparison to the code of any MS application in use today. Let us
> see the code, hot-shots.
> Put up or shut up.

Hey Barney!  Not so fast.  Aren't you forgetting something?  Errr, where's
YOUR source, clown boooya?

-wt

------------------------------

From: John Arebir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:27:52 -0400

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:09:46 GMT, "Chad Myers"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>But the problem with this... you guys always say that's why Linux is
>better because there are no hard and fast deadlines, but it doesn't show.
>Linux now exceeds NT 4.0 on hacked sites list, it's taking over on the
>number of bugs list, and the response time for patches is worse than
>Microsoft in most cases. This just doesn't hold up.

1) There's a difference between a patch and a major release.
2) 2.2 -> 2.4 is not a patch. Was Win3.1 => 4.0 (95) a patch?
3) Linux exceeds NT 4.0. This is the only fact you state above.
4) Are you a Idiot Savant?

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 19:23:50 GMT

Snicker.... get therapy

From: Dennis Ritchie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.os.netware.misc
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 18:41:57 +0100

Toon Moene wrote:
> Hmmm, the way I recall it Ken needed a computer (and an OS) to run his
> games on - Bell Labs "gave" him a PDP-7 and he invented Unix.
>
> But don't take my word for it - Dennis is listening in to this
> (comp.arch) newsgroup, so you can hear it from the horse's mouth.

 http://www.eclipse.net/~amw/silly/unix_fake.shtml
is cleverer than the version referenced, though it's very
tired by now.

The place where Toon is wrong is that BL didn't give
Ken the PDP-11, he stole it.  Maybe that's why "gives."

        Dennis

------------------------------

From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Oct 2000 14:40:38 -0500

mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Very cool. All we have to do is wait. Sooner or later the code will be
> posted, and we will get a good laugh.

Could someone please post a tarball of the Windows 2000 source code,
preferrably compressed with bzip2?

- Donn

From: "Relax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
Date: 27 Oct 2000 15:02:10 -0500

"Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Relax wrote:
>
> > "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > I will check GDI vs. Ghostscript on my printer at work to compare
speeds.

> > It's not exactly comparable. What you should try is write a small app
that
> > draw something on screen, then use the same code to draw the same thing
on
> > paper.
>
> No, you said that printing, not displaying, required the GDI.

We are going into a circle here. The G in GDI means "Graphical". Displaying
and printing is essentially the same and requires GDI.

------------------------------

From: "Relax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Oct 2000 15:04:06 -0500

"Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Relax wrote:
>
> > "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > I will check GDI vs. Ghostscript on my printer at work to compare
speeds.

> > It's not exactly comparable. What you should try is write a small app
that
> > draw something on screen, then use the same code to draw the same thing
on
> > paper.
>
> Question: are the screen and print versions of color the same, or is the
> translation between them easy. Most monitors use rgb, while color printers
> use cmyk.

Those are device-dependent details. GDI uses RGB. The drivers do the right
thing.

------------------------------

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 22:56:38 +0100

> I had said that your ignorant CDR/CDRW argument was the worst I argument
> I've yet seen... this tops even that!

I've backed down on the CD-RW argument: I admit it was a bad one. That's
why I came up with the netcard one. You have not responded to that. Why
not? Because it proves that your argument is  wrong?

> It gets better and better by the day! Keep 'em coming!

I have, but you ignore anything of worth because you have not the
intelligence to deal with it.

I think that I have now adequately demonstrated the point that windows
has hardware detection problems too, and like linux if you tell it has
different stuff than it actually has, it will crash.

I don't know why you're arguing against this[*], becasue it is a
perfectly reasonable thing for and OS to crash under the circumstances.
It's also perfectly reasonable for an OS not to play ball withevery
oddball card you care to throw at it.

[*] Well, actually, you've avoided all my arguments of worth, and picked
on the bad ones only. This indicates that you are floundering.

-Ed

--
Konrad Zuse should  recognised. He built the first      | Edward Rosten
binary digital computer (Z1, with floating point) the   | Engineer

------------------------------

From: "Relax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Oct 2000 15:06:06 -0500

"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> El mié, 25 oct 2000, Relax escribió:
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8t52ve$v5p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> These memory drawing surfaces are not really used for things like
device
> >> independant printing.  Printing is generally done via PostScript and
for
> >> non poscript devices the 'driver' is basically a usermode program that
> >> takes postscript input and generates binary output for the given
device.

> >That's one of the main points here: drawing on screen with X and drawing
on
> >paper with PostScript are two completely separate things on Unix,
requiring
> >separate code, separate libraries and probably more work for the
developer.

> No. They are not, if you use a toolkit that integrates both things, as all
> modern toolkits do. I have told you this about a dozen times already.

You can always add everything you like to any OS no matter how weak it is to
start with. Under Windows, the "modern toolkit" that "integrates both
things" was built in since the inception of the OS and first released in mid
1985.

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:00:49 +0100

Stuart Fox wrote in message <8tbp20$clh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Could the source code get out somehow, or is this just a hoax?
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_993000/993933.stm

Who will ever trust any of their products ever again.

First they are a company who claim to care about security of their products
and claim to have security certificates for their network oprerating systems
yet it takes them 3 months to detect hackers on their own system.

Next there is no easy way to know if their source-code has been modified so
in future versions as well as the usual bug-riddled crap you may also get a
free bundled russian virus or trojan hidden so deep inside the code it could
take months or years to find it.

I cannot see many corporations buying something knowing about these risks.

Before anyone points out that the open-source nature of linux makes it easy
to compile viruses into the kernel note that the open source nature also
means that there are thousands of people reading that sourcecode so nothing
can hide in the code. Closed source code relies on the company compiling it
to find these things and if they cannot detect hackers for 3 months how long
will it take to find any source code modifications.

------------------------------

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 22:59:55 +0100

"Joseph T. Malloy" wrote:

> > > You mean the "X mouse" functionality? Why not use TweakUI? There's no
> reason
> > > to edit the registry.
> >
> > This indeed works (but only under win95, 98 and ME).  But it only offers
> > "sloppy focus" (that is, when the cursor is over the root window, no
> > other windows can have focus).  It would be nice if there were more
> options.
>
> "Sloppy focus?"  The TweakUI implementation works just fine on all the
> Windows NT4W on which I've put it in addition to working of Windows 9x and
> ME.  And the window over which the mouse pointer is located at any given
> moment *has* the focus.  Yep, just now I moved my mouse to another window
> and I could do things in that window but not in the window that I was typing
> this message in.  Methinks you need to look at TweakUI a bit more closely.

You misunderstand the term sloppy focus. Sloppy focus works fine: there
is no problem with it. It si simply sloppier than mouse focus in that it
doesn't ever focus on the root window. Other than that, the window with
the mouse pointer in has focus.I personally prefer this.