From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS Hacked?
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 17:29:43 GMT

NO!

The attack started in Asia and the source code was downloaded to
St. Petersburg Russia.

This was not a government attack.

It was a highly organized attack by people who
were in both countries.

Charlie

--
Charlie

By 2005 Microsoft will be displaced by
LINUX - THE POWER OF A GNU GENERATION!

------------------------------

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.netware.misc
Subject: Re: Ms employees begging for food
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:25:50 +0100

Chad Myers wrote:

> "2:1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > JS/PL wrote:
> > >
> > > "Caveman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:qtwJ5.1200$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > I'm looking at (and using) build 2276 of Whistler right now. The OS of the
> > > "home computer" future is incredibly similar to Win2K, the UI is much closer
> > > in appearance to Money 2001 or similar though. It is a much different UI
> > > than Win2k, and much different from any Win9x. I believe it will be called
> > > Windows.Net.
> > >
> > > Some basic stats of the first half hour of use
> > >
> > > Rock solid stability!! :-) (insert flame here)
> >

> > Windows actually managed to be stable for 1/2 an hour? :-)
>
> Yeah, it's hard to remember a full 1/2 hour of stability after you've
> been using Linux so long, huh?

Yeah, when you get 100% stability 100% of the time, you forget about
stability issues...

> > > Intalled flawlessly
> >
> > Linux has had it for years...
>
> Had what? A flawless install? ROFL... if there's anything Linux
> DOESN'T have, it's a good install. Many have tried, it seems Caldera is
> the only one that comes close.

Even the ardent wintroll Claire_Lynn admits that most linux variants are
much easier to install than windows variants. Every RH box I have
installed went without a hitch. Every monkey Linux install I have done
went without a hitch. I can't say the same about windows installs that I
have done.

> However, most Linux distros still don't detect the ram properly on

You have no evidence for that. Worked fine on my (old) system. Worked
fine on all the systems I've tried. It affects some motherboards. Ypu
have no evidence that this is most mother boards.

> most systems, don't detect most sound cards, hardly ever set up the
> video card right unless you have one of the chosen few video adapters

I've never had a vid card problem. If it isn't auto detected, you just
pick it from the list. Like wise with sound config---no problems.

I don't think you've ever installed a single linux system in your life.

-Ed

--
Konrad Zuse should  recognised. He built the first      | Edward Rosten
binary digital computer (Z1, with floating point) the   | Engineer

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: The BEST ADVICE GIVEN.
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 17:37:04 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Considering today's events about Microsoft and
> > their being HACKED into,
>
> I wouldn't say "hacked", an employe was deceived
> into opening an email.

Microsoft has this perception
that Cars don't need to have car alarms,
houses don't need alarms, locks nor even strong doors,
and that murders and thief's don't exist in the global society.

Their idea of security ALWAYS rely's on the
concept of EVERYBODY BEING HONEST.

And if EVERYBODY isn't HONEST then
that is the BLAME for the failure.

They don't even have any security.
They don't know what security is.

And you have no concept of what security
is either.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: 2.4 Kernel Delays.
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 17:44:45 GMT

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000 04:08:55 GMT, R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  bobh{at}haucks{dot}org wrote:

>That's it.  Linux 2.4 has been getting formal support from USB
>peripheral vendors.

>> and everybody else is shipping backports on 2.2 kernels.
>
>Corporations get very nervous about backports.  Users probably won't
>care.

Well, _some_ corporations are doing it...like most Linux distributors.
The fact that Compaq has some weird policy isn't really anybody else's
problem but Compaq's.

Isn't that the point of an open development process?  That you, the
user or distributor or whatever, can decide your own schedule?

>> For that matter, just ship 2.4-pre-something and call it good.
>
>Corporations get REALLY nervous about betas shipped as production.

This would explain why they're ok with things like Win95 I guess.  It
has the right labels and corporations put more credence into labels
than is justified.  Whether the product is crap or not is not nearly as
important.

>Like it or not, Linux is in the "big league" complete with NYSE
>corporate backing.

Which has exactly squat to do with when the software is ready to ship.

Is Compaq actually doing anything to help their own cause, or are they
just upset because the world doesn't revolve around their silly
policies?

See, the thing is, corps have jumped into this thing that is
fundamentally different from the way they are used to working.  At
least in the case we're talking about, they seem to think that the
community that they have joined just recently should change to match
their expectations based, I guess, on the fact that they are
"important".  This is called "being an asshole".

Why did these corps jump on Linux?  Maybe they know that traditional
development methods have all kinds of problems and the see Open Source
as a way to fix that.  Yet they don't want to do anything different and
expect Linus to jump to their tune.  This seems rather, well, "insane"
is a word that comes to mind.  Let's just keep doing the same thing and
maybe it'll work better.

>Meanwhile, IT managers who have been holding out for Linux servers
>powered by 2.4 are sweating bullets right now.

Why?  Are they idiots?  A clued person would evaluate what they need out
of 2.4.  Probably 95% of them would conclude that 2.2 meets their needs
just fine (I don't see a lot of USB scanners on servers).  Making
decisions based on arbitrary labels stamped on products by the vendor
is insane when the development process is right out there in the open
and you can make your own "freeze" any time you want.

>> Yup, it sounds like the 'problem' lies mostly in the heads of some
>> executives.
>
>In the business world, we call this "Managing Expectations".  Linus
>had prevously delivered major releases every year.

Oh, get real.  Compaq doesn't manage Linus.  They need to get a grip on
that if they are going to play.  Maybe it would be a good idea to start
by not promising things they don't control.  Then they can move on to
deciding things based on reality rather than labels and hype.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking